To carry or not to carry?

I've been asking myself this question for a long time. Now that I can legally CC, I need to make a decision. I managed to live 40years without a gun on me, I'm trainned and could handle myself in an altercation...but. really I've avoided trouble by foresite and common sense...On the other hand, times are getting more violent, people more despirate, brazen and just plain stupid. I'd never be able to forgive me if situation happened and I could not defend my family or myself because I was "unarmed". So, the decision is heavily leaning toward CC.
If I do get a CC weapon its going to have to be sub-compact, like a Ruger LCP, Bursa Thurnder or KalTec P3AT, something I can have on me and\or at quick disposal all the time. A bigger gun is out of the question, I don't plan to fight a war with it, the main reasoning is to have it on hand "if ever needed" in my case, the bigger the gun the less I can have it with me. I have an M&P 9mm "in the house" actually accessing it for defense or carrying it concealed won't work. Imo, the .380s' above are perfect for the job, they can be pocketed, ItB\ankle hostered or tossed in a belt or back pack.
Any opinions on this?

I thought I'd want to get a small gun in order to carry, but I now carry my Browning Hi Power every day. You can conceal a lot more than you think before you try it. Why do you think carrying your M&P won't work? Have you tried any holsters for it?

I've been asking myself this question for a long time. Now that I can legally CC, I need to make a decision. I managed to live 40years without a gun on me, I'm trainned and could handle myself in an altercation...but. really I've avoided trouble by foresite and common sense...On the other hand, times are getting more violent, people more despirate, brazen and just plain stupid. I'd never be able to forgive me if situation happened and I could not defend my family or myself because I was "unarmed". So, the decision is heavily leaning toward CC.
If I do get a CC weapon its going to have to be sub-compact, like a Ruger LCP, Bursa Thurnder or KalTec P3AT, something I can have on me and\or at quick disposal all the time. A bigger gun is out of the question, I don't plan to fight a war with it, the main reasoning is to have it on hand "if ever needed" in my case, the bigger the gun the less I can have it with me. I have an M&P 9mm "in the house" actually accessing it for defense or carrying it concealed won't work. Imo, the .380s' above are perfect for the job, they can be pocketed, ItB\ankle hostered or tossed in a belt or back pack.
Any opinions on this?

I knew a guy who trained mix martial arts fighters. Toughest guy I've ever seen, excellent fighter. Grew up Tai boxing in Asia before he trained in Brazil, so on and so forth.

One day I made kind of a naive comment and said "Hey Tommy, it must be sweet to go to a bar and not have to watch your back when you walk out cause you're insanely bad ass." He looked at me dead serious and just simply said "Don't you read the paper? Three guys were shot to death last week alone in this city. I'm not good in a fight against a thug with a gun."

I guess the moral of that is, avoid the altercation if you can. Believe me, if this guy doesn't have any interest in ever getting into an altercation for any reason other then absolute self protection when theres no other choice, no one should.

That said, yes I do think you should carry, it is your right. Do a search for people over 40 who have been murdered. Everyone has survived however many years in this world without a problem, right up until the day there is a problem.

You have smoke detectors in your house right? What are the chances that there will be a fire? It doesn't really matter what the chances are. When your house is burning down there is a 100% chance that you could use some smoke detectors in there.

I dont think you should be limiting yourself to what you can carry. YOu would be amazed at what you can conceal.

I would not even consider carrying in an ankle holster or in a backpack. One is a PITA to get to if it all goes down, the other is not only a pain but can be stolen by someone! Imagine being held up at gun pint for your backpack! what do you do THEN?!

Try holsters out, there are plenty out there. Also, I am not sure why you cant conceal an M+P or have it as a home defense gun? Some of your arguments make no sense, and you will find that out when you try out holsters (unless you are not sharing information with us that makes these somewhat "interesting" circumstances true)

Any opinions on this?

Ever consider a S&W Jframe? somethng like a 340PD or one of the airlight variants? You can pocket carry for fast access and will forget it's even there b/c it's so light.

I cant give you any recommendations on pocket carry, but will append to the comments so far that you can carry a full size with a lot of ease with a good holster. I'm not a tall person and carry and conceal a fullsize to the point that when we plink and I swap out magazines people never realize I had the gun on me the entire time.
Your carry rig, as in your belt and holster, are the most important aspects of concealment and with a good setup you could conceal nearly anything.
I 'm not into the pocket carry so much at this point, but will watch the thread for advice as I'd like to get into it myself.

I used to carry 24/7 due to the businesses that I managed (high cash flow). Despite the fact that I was a dedicated IPSC competitor and comfortable with a cocked and locked 1911, I found that I carried a Model 60 most of the time because it was so easy to conceal and carry comfortably. When the small S&W 9mm became available I switched to a 6906; 13 rounds and relatively easy to conceal. Not as easy to carry as the Model 60 but well worth the extra effort.

I don't carry as much now as I did in those days. I let my buddy Axel the Rottweiler handle security.

I am a medium framed 5 foot eleven guy weighing in at 180-ish.

I have a little Colt Mustang .380 , a hammerless J-frame , and a Sig 228 ..... in the safe.

I carry a full sized 1911. The flat gun just disappears.

I suppose it took a little getting used to , but now i am used to it.

Why did you get a gun in the first place? self defense in the home..... but do you realistically expect you will need to use it?

Of course not, it is an insurance policy in case something bad happens.

The same applies to carrying outside your home: you don't expect to need it but if you ever do you will be glad you are carrying.

Don't make your dying thought "I wish I had carried a gun today".

A bigger gun is out of the question, I don't plan to fight a war with it, the main reasoning is to have it on hand "if ever needed" .

Don't undersize yourself...If confronted you will need to shoot with accuracy. Your CCW should be powerful to stop any "bad guy" and you need to be able to shoot it . A wounded "bad guy" can still kill you. Love my Warthog 45. It is small and with the finger extention on the mag, comfortable to shoot accuaratly. If you got big mits get a preban 13 rnd mag and put an extension piece on it.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Sorry if my rational for carring a sub-compact "dosen't make sense" to some...but it is what will work for me.
Basicly, the M&P is locked in a safe, I could get to it but there will be a critical delay.(my main reason for this gun is sports shooting, anyway).
The sub however will be placed in a carry pouch easily kept on my person and in my control at all times.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Sorry if my rational for carring a sub-compact "dosen't make sense" to some...but it is what will work for me.

What will work for you is the most important part. My Seecamp can disappear in my pocket without any trouble, and I know I can hit a man-sized target at a reasonable engagement range. That doesn't necessarily make it an ideal carry gun, but it makes it ideal for me in some circumstances.

All the same, I'm still saving up for that Warthog. [grin]

I have been in martial arts for 15 years. I also carry. I carry a small airlight revolver almost everywhere (hides in the pocket). I have a small safe in each vehicle if I need to make a pit stop. When I cannot CC i have at least OC spray and a knife.

I am not paranoid. I think most people are great people, but boy would I feel stupid if I wasn't prepared.

Good luck.

--Mike

Basicly, the M&P is locked in a safe, I could get to it but there will be a critical delay.(my main reason for this gun is sports shooting, anyway).
The sub however will be placed in a carry pouch easily kept on my person and in my control at all times.

Pain I think that rather than the normal "caliber wars" (9, .40, .45 etc) what people are basically saying to you is that >9mm is unlikely to do what you need it to do as quickly as you'll need it to do it. Does that make sense?

In other words, if the BG is 15 feet away from you by the time you've drawn, aimed and moved your finger to the trigger, you'll likely only get one shot off before he shoots, or is upon you. That one shot is unlikely to be perfect and so it's quite possible that while the BG will be kick the bucket it won't be in time to help you much.

At least consider the J frame as it's size and weight requirements are right up your alley. A .38 (or .357) has a much better chance of doing the damage you need done in your time frame than the .32.

In the end, it's your choice of course.

I am 5'9" and about 145 pounds and the M&Pc conceals well enough that i can wear shorts and a teeshirt and I cant even see where it is when I look in the mirror, for what its worth.

The smallest pistol I own / carry is my GLock 19. I also enjoy carrying the 1911 which is no small fry. Try out a bunch of holsters / set ups and you'll be surprise at what you can conceal. Even if there is a slight bulge, chances are people will have absolutely no clue.

My first carry pistol was the M&P 40. I quickly realized that it was too big for me to conceal it to the point where I could carry at work (I work in an office environment). My next carry pistol was the Walther P99c. I carried that in an IWB holster and found it to be easily concealable although it was still kind of bulky. I then got the Walther PPK/S and carried that. As a matter of fact I still do on the weekends. However, my "office carry" now is the S&W 637 j-frame revolver. This gun is so small and light that I can carry it in my front pant pocket, although I tend to carry it in an IWB holster. This is by far the easiest CCW gun I own.

I personally would not carry in any sort of a 'pouch'. Anything that needs locating, ie, can move around and not be EXACTLY in the same place each time and then needs unzipping/unsnapping can and will delay your ability to get your weapon....with possible fatal results.

Get a regular IWB or OWB holster or a pocket pistol/holster combo. Do not carry in your pocket without a holster. THe holster keep the gun lint free, lessens the chance of dirt, etc getting into the gun and keeps it in a constant position in your pocket, allowing you quick and consistent access to the gun.

I carry a 1911 with me almost constantly, it's not hard to conceal. When I can't carry the 1911, for whatever unusual reason comes up, a J frame is in a MIKA holster in my front pocket.

I conceal a Sig P229, two spare mags and a knife every day working as a FAM, where passengers look for printing. I think I've done a pretty good job so far.

+1 for the J frame. 38 +P JHPs should be effective enough if needed. I used to carry a Sig P239 in .40 but the lines just weren't right for comfort and to avoid printing. It all depends on your size and your activities, but if you're not carrying in comfort you'll wind up not carrying at all.

As far as carrying in general, the only time I don't is if I plan on being somewhere where I will have more than one drink.

I'm adding Smart Carry to my CC holster collection - especially for the warm months where shorts and a tee are what you're wearing. I considered pocket carry, but liked this instead.

Search the forum for it and thunderwear for more info.

Regards,

Bob

I normally carry either a J-frame S&W, a Para-carry, or my G-23. The first 2 are easiest to conceal for me. And always a knife and a kubaton.

A mousegun in the hand beats a cannon in the safe - every time.

You'll find yourself very self conscious carrying for the first week or so. When I started, I carried a .22 derringer that I was sure was as visible as a neon sign to anyone and everyone. I got over that. I went to a .38 J frame (model 60, looking for something a little lighter) and got comfortable with that and went to a .45 1911 (Commander sized).
I carry the .38 primarily now. It is much easier to rationalize having it than not having it, where the .45 I find myself easy to talk out of carrying. I don't expect a war either, but I like having something a little more than the .22.

I'd say get a KelTec or similar, carry until you're comfortable with it and see if you want to move up to the M&P (which I still can't get used to thinking of as not a Model 10!!!). If you do move up, you've got something small for dressy occasions or when just wearing shorts in the summer. At the end of it all, you'll be armed, and have a new gun. (I can't see any reason not to buy a gun)

PaiN,
Your right, a CCW gun is not a perfect weapon system. It is a means to defend your self. Any pistol is a compromise weapon, by that I mean you pack it because you can't hide a longarm. Everybody knows that a handgun is not the gun to have in a fight / tactical situation. A modern rifle or a good combat shotgun are the real tools of battle.
But this is a pistol for CCW.I can state that I have two pistols that I carry. When I made the choice to carry it was to carry ALL OF THE TIME. Now most of the year, I carry a Kel-tec P3AT (owned it before being sent to MA on military orders). In the low country of SC where normal clothing about nine months out of the year is the likes of cargo or docker type shorts, a short sleeve T or Polo shirt, and running or boat shoes there are not alot of weapons systems that can work / hide well. The Kel-tec or the Ruger are so thin and that helps you to hide it in summer clothes.
The little light weight .380 rides real good for me in a front pocket using a $17 Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I carry the pistol with a round in the chamber and five in the magazine. It is so light and small that it isn't a burden at all to carry. Yes I had to do the Kel-tec old fluff and buff (basically just polish the feed ramp) to get it to work right all the time. But since that time, I trust it enough that it has been my main carry gun.
In the winter when I wear heavy clothing (A COAT) I carry a J-frame S&W in 38 special. This pistol makes a better coat gun for me and gives the ability to fire from inside a coat pocket. The Centennial or Bodyguard S&W J frames are great winter CCW guns.
I do not carry a extra magazine for the Kel-tec or a speed loader for the S&W. I am not worried about having only five or six rounds to fire off. If I do my part it should only take one or two shots to stop the potential fight / save my life. If I went out expecting trouble I would either rethink where I was planning on traveling to (I just wouldn't go there) or I'd have a more serious weapon (like an M4 carbine).
IF I WERE YOU I'D GIVE THE RUGER LCP A REAL HARD LOOK. The fit and finish on it are heads over the little Kel-tec. It feels more like a quality product. And don't tell me they are the same pistols, take a look at the extractors and rack both of the slides back. The Ruger is worth the extra $100 in my mind. I do think that you would be hard pressed to beat the combo of the Ruger LCP and a S&W J frame. If I could have only one pistol for CCW in MA it would be a S&W J Frame.
I hope some of this helps you out.
smitty

Last edited:
I'm adding Smart Carry to my CC holster collection - especially for the warm months where shorts and a tee are what you're wearing. I considered pocket carry, but liked this instead.

Search the forum for it and thunderwear for more info.

Regards,

Bob

Thunderwear is the way to go! Even for 1911s

If one carries concealed, one assumes an awesome responsibility. I can fully understand why there are those who do not choose that option. It requires prudent judgement at all times and a realization of personal and legal limitations. It is a choice (if one is so permitted these days) that is highly personal.

I tend to favor carrying larger handguns usually in a belt holster or inside the waist band (I carry a Sig P229 this way and a S&W Thunder Ranch .45 ACP revolver [although not IWB]) However, it is not always practical to carry a handgun in this manner.

Years ago the late and great gun writer Charles "Skeeter" Skelton did a study for Shooting Times Magazine and determined that the .380 ACP round in a pocket semi-automatic pistol was more efficient ballistically than the a .38 Spl fired from a snub nosed revolver. That was then and this is now. I honestly believe that for those carrying a small handgun, a J frame S&W makes a lot more sense. Not only are these revolvers lightweight, but can handle modern +P 38 Spl ammunition, which is not the .38 Spl of three decades ago. Furthermore, revolvers still lead in the reliability department over pocket semi-autos. For personal defense I really think the J frame Smith is hard to beat. Too much dirt, lint and residue can accumulate in pocket and ankle carry which will affect semi-auto reliability. Simplicty of the revolver is another major factor, simply aim (or point) and pull the trigger, no safeties or magazine catches to worry about. The only chief disadvantage is that a revolver is slower to reload, but statistically most civilian gun fights, reloading is not an issue (always have at least one reload via speed loader or speed strip with you, however).

Best of luck to you and best wishes regardless of what choices you make,

Mark L.

I'm about 6'4" 245lbs., carrying a full size 1911 IWB at 3 o' clock would be the best option for me if I were to carry. it has thin grips and conceals like nobodies business. Galco makes the holster and the gun is angled forward so that you can get a quick grip on it and so that it does not print.

Back
Top Bottom