Tips on Applying for LTC-Important Info

Just registered on this site, and my 1st post, bumping this thread instead of unnecessarily creating a new one;

I have skimmed through this thread and found some useful info but looking for specific advice. The fiancee and myself just completed our Basic Firearms Safety Course and we are filling out the applications for LTC today. We will most definitely be applying for LTC-A and have heard that Milford is a green town and that we stand a good chance at getting it. Regardless, I want to cover all my bases. My fiancee and I both meet all requirements and have no convictions or issues whatsoever. Only thing that might stick out is that I am a naturalized citizen (originally from Lebanon). This is of course in no way a limitation or problem but we all know the world we live in today.

My questions:

1- None of my friends in Milford that have LTCs mentioned taking any other courses aside from the Basic Firearm Safety Course but I saw it mentioned here a few times. Should I look into this for Milford?

2- What is the best way to describe our reasons on our applications to, and I loosely quote my instructor here "make it difficult for my application to be downgraded without being denied"? Can the same exact text be used for both of our applications? or should it be a much more personalized text?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at this.

2- What is the best way to describe our reasons on our applications to, and I loosely quote my instructor here "make it difficult for my application to be downgraded without being denied"? Can the same exact text be used for both of our applications? or should it be a much more personalized text?

Be sure to have paperwork to show the Milford licensing officer that you are indeed a US citizen. I expect that the only concern on the part of the department will in making certain that you are indeed a citizen. It pays to make their job easy for them when it comes to details such as this.

I believe that it is a federal offense to photocopy a certificate of naturalization (but I am not sure on that point).

Milford is generally green, however, you need to remember it is never "difficult" for a chief to restrict or deny an LTC. In fact, it's quite easy if they choose to do so.

Thanks for the reply Rob.

I plan on bringing my Naturalization certificate with me. It clearly states on it in red lettering:

IT IS PUNISHABLE BY U.S. LAW TO COPY, PRINT OR PHOTOGRAPH THIS CERTIFICATE, WITHOUT LAWFUL AUTHORITY.

Just registered on this site, and my 1st post, bumping this thread instead of unnecessarily creating a new one;

I have skimmed through this thread and found some useful info but looking for specific advice. The fiancee and myself just completed our Basic Firearms Safety Course and we are filling out the applications for LTC today. We will most definitely be applying for LTC-A and have heard that Milford is a green town and that we stand a good chance at getting it. Regardless, I want to cover all my bases. My fiancee and I both meet all requirements and have no convictions or issues whatsoever. Only thing that might stick out is that I am a naturalized citizen (originally from Lebanon). This is of course in no way a limitation or problem but we all know the world we live in today.

My questions:

1- None of my friends in Milford that have LTCs mentioned taking any other courses aside from the Basic Firearm Safety Course but I saw it mentioned here a few times. Should I look into this for Milford?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at this.

Welcome to the forum and the shooting sports.

You couldn't have picked a better town to land in wrt 2A than Milford. I know your chief and he's one that firmly believes in the 2nd. So if there are no issues with your (and your fiancé's) backgrounds, you will NOT be made to do anything other than what is laid out in MGLs and you will get your LTC-As unrestricted.

Don't stress over it and enjoy.

Welcome to the forum and the shooting sports.

You couldn't have picked a better town to land in wrt 2A than Milford. I know your chief and he's one that firmly believes in the 2nd. So if there are no issues with your (and your fiancé's) backgrounds, you will NOT be made to do anything other than what is laid out in MGLs and you will get your LTC-As unrestricted.

Don't stress over it and enjoy.

That's great news! Thanks a lot for your reply. We actually almost ended up in Natick when looking to purchase a house but finally bought a house in Milford. LUCKY!!!

WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT THIS!!!!!!! WHY DONT WE JUST FIND ALL THE LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS WITH LICENSES GET TOGETHER AND PUT TOGETHER A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND THE STATE FOR THIS!!!!!!! REMEMBER MCDONALD VS. CHICAGO!!!! HELLER VS. WASHINGTON D.C!!! DAMN!!!!! STOP TALKING AND START DOING!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!

WHY ARE WE NOW USING ALL CAPS AND BRINGING UP COURT CASES THAT DON'T DEAL WITH THE RIGHT TO CARRY!?!?!?!?!?!

WAIT, I NEED MORE EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that you've shown us all that you can shout, perhaps you might spend some of that energy reading the opinions in McDonald and Heller. As the Court made quite clear in both instances, concealed carry was never something considered by either decision. Now if you're only objecting to the costs and delays imposed on people in order to get a simple restricted LTC-A necessary to legally possess in one's home, then you've got a point. Unfortunately nobody who already has their LTC would have and required standing to sue. You'd need a group of people who want to apply but haven't yet.

Ken

We actually almost ended up in Natick when looking to purchase a house but finally bought a house in Milford. LUCKY!!!
Although listed as Red, unrestricted LTC-As are not uncommon in Natick. I had one when I lived there, and one of my shooting buddies manages to renew his each time without any difficulty.

While generally decent with respect to gun rights, the Milford chief has been known to revoke the LTC of an individual who is not prohibited by statute from being so licensed, and then successfully defending that revocation in Milford district court. In fact, the individual who lost his appeal serves as a full time Ashland police officer. Go figure :).

Last edited:
While generally decent with respect to gun rights, the Milford chief has been known to revoke the LTC of an individual who is not prohibited by statute from being so licensed, and then successfully defending that revocation in Milford district court. In fact, the individual who lost his appeal serves as a full time Ashland police officer. Go figure :).

I know and have a lot of respect for Tom. I know nothing of this case, but from personal experience I know that some police officers legally get away with doing things that earn them a deserved bad reputation "within the Thin Blue Line". I've also learned that frequently chiefs know a lot more than we (other officers) give them credit for wrt to some folks that have never been prosecuted or fired.

I'm not saying this action was right or wrong, just that an outside observer may not have the same level of info as someone in Tom's position.

Is there a standard application form for LTC A in MA or are each towns different?

Per MGLs, there is only one form to be used and a link to it has been posted here before (FA-25/26 - the newest one has the State Coat of Arms on the left). That said, some places add their own garbage and give you a "special form" . . . it violates MGLs, but there isn't a lot you can do about it unless you have "juice" in that town.

The MIRCS system cranks out an exact copy of the above-mentioned form. I just came back from my renewal interview and that's what I have in front of me right now.

Filling out my LTC application now, just a couple questions...

I know not all cities require your membership to a Gun Club, but is anyone aware if Quincy requires this? I don't think so, since most of my friends who have their LTC-A aren't but just wanted to check.

For the workplace section, I used the main building my company operates out of. I work at a satellite building in another town, but figured it would be best to use the main building (and am at once a week for a few hours). Does this seem ok, or should I use the one I'm typically working out of?

I've also never had to identify my complexion or build before and I'm not quite sure what to put. I'm 5'5" and 135 lb (pure muscle [wink] lol) and pale as a ghost. What would acceptable terms for that be? Thin/skinny and pale/fair?

Its like we really are criminals in this state. [rolleyes]

I just wanted to take a minute and say "Thank You" to everyone for posting all this great information. After living in MA for a couple years I've finally decided to go ahead and start the process to get my license. I've signed up for a class next week and look forward to talking to the Somerville PD after completing all the necessary paperwork. Having lived in multiple other states the MA licensing process is quite a new experience. Hopefully I'll soon have my license and can start retrieving my firearms that are currently stored with family out of state.

I'm in Quincy too, so any information would be great! My understanding is that Quincy does not require you to be a member of a gun club.

I did a lot of speeding in my younger days and feel this may hinder my chances for an unrestricted LTC. Should I have my references write letters of recommendation?

Oh, question 10 regarding court apperances, They want specific dates I showed up in court. If I run a CORI, will all my (sppeding) court dates show up?

Last edited:
I'm in Quincy too, so any information would be great! My understanding is that Quincy does not require you to be a member of a gun club.

I did a lot of speeding in my younger days and feel this may hinder my chances for an unrestricted LTC. Should I have my references write letters of recommendation?

Oh, question 10 regarding court apperances, They want specific dates I showed up in court. If I run a CORI, will all my (sppeding) court dates show up?

Question 10 asks:

10. HAVE YOU EVER APPEARED IN ANY COURT AS A DEFENDANT FOR ANY CRIMINAL OFFENSE (EXCLUDING NON-CRIMINAL TRAFFIC OFFENSES)?

If you are CERTAIN your appearances were only for non-criminal tickets, the answer is NO. You need to be certain - if you were involved in anything that was considered a criminal offense, you need to disclose it.

Is there anything I can do to check on my application? I sent in my initial application Aug 20 and then had my interview on Nov 3. Next week will be 3 months and the LEO said it would take 60 days to hear back about my prints.

I went to the police station and one of the officers said they are behind and the process could take 5-7 months total. This is a little ridiculous. I just want to go be able to shoot.

Is there anything I can do to check on my application? I sent in my initial application Aug 20 and then had my interview on Nov 3. Next week will be 3 months and the LEO said it would take 60 days to hear back about my prints.

I went to the police station and one of the officers said they are behind and the process could take 5-7 months total. This is a little ridiculous. I just want to go be able to shoot.

Sure you can. A polite phone call to follow up and ask if there is anything else he needs is not out of line. Mine took 13 weeks to the day in a very Green town. The good news is that if you were denied, you would probably hear about it pretty quickly.

You are right that the wait seems excessive but unfortunately it seems that we hear it more and more. Police Departments are spread thinner and thinner at permits do not seem to make the top of the priority list in most cases.

If you really want to shoot, there are a couple of public ranges where you can go and shoot with no LTC required. If you are close to the Brockton area/ South Shore I'd be happy to take you to my club as a guest. I have a few things in the safe that are a pleasure to shoot, rifle, pistol, shotgun etc.

Welcome to NES. Save your money. You are gonna need it.[grin]

Thank you for letting me know. I'll definitely be giving them a call sometime this week. I might take you up on visiting your club when I'm finished with my exam for work, focusing hard on that right now.

Getting LTC in Boston

Anyone familiar with doing this recently?
Did you have aot of experience handling a gun before you applied for the LTC?
Did you go for unres. and get it?
Any recommendations on things to add to application to better my chances?

I'm sure my chances are very slim getting LTC unres. because I live in Boston and I'm young but tell me about your experience.

How long did the whole process take I read some comments sayings 6-7 months?
I know you have to take Moon Island test, How long from when you sent in application was Moon Island Test?

Any help will be greatly apprecaited.

Casey,

I train people on what to expect with the Moon Island test and get feedback from them after the fact, so I'll try answering you TTBOMK based on that. Last experience was a student who passed the test last week.

- BPD requires an appt to drop off the paperwork and get an appt for Moon Island now.
- The appt and Moon Island date seems to be taking ~6 weeks currently. That will change if we get real bad weather and loosens up in nice Spring/Summer/Fall weather.
- Most people have never shot a revolver before and that is what you get at Moon Island. So that is why I teach people on a similar gun and let them get some trigger time. We actually run the Moon Island test as your dry run.
- You will NOT get an unrestricted LTC-A out of Boston PD unless you fit some very narrow circumstances that Boston PD has as criteria. I've had some students get unrestricted, but their circumstances fit the "box" that BPD uses.

There is another Sticky thread here specifically on the Boston LTC process. You should spend some time reading that.

Good luck.

Hey guys, I'm hopefully going in Tomorrow or Tuesday to pass in my application for my LCT Class A and I have a few questions I'm hoping you might be able to answer. I realize I could just go in and ask these questions tomorrow but I'd like to see if I can get a "heads up" first, thanks!!!

So the application says "Two Photographs are required for licensing". My question is do I need to bring in two photos? I saw in the beginning of this thread something that seemed to make me think I need to bring my own but, have read in other threads that people say they get the photos done at the PD. Is this a town by town thing or do most places require you to bring in pictures of yourself?

Also in terms of residency, I thought I had seen somewhere that you need a copy of an electric bill or something along those lines. My problem with this is that I have been liveing with/paying rent to my father for the past 5 years or so, my name is not on any of these things as I usually just give him the money. After a little more research it seems that you shouldn’t need to provide this information anyways, but if I did would a "Lease Of Residency" letter from Staples do? This is a form that would normally be filled out for a Tenant and Landlord and this is what I used for proof when getting my drivers license.

This last ones a little bit weird. My main reason for wanting to get my LTC is because I want to pursue Gunsmithing. I have found some schools that I’ve looked into as well as some programs and been doing as much research on the subject as possible. Is this something I should put on the reasons, or should I just forget about it and bring it up in the interview (should that subject come up)?

Again I realize I can ask my local PD these questions but I wanted to try and educate myself as much as possible before walking in there. Thanks guys!!

1. Call the PD Dispatcher and ask if they have MIRCS. If they do, they do the pics electronically. If not (and there are some PDs that still use a Dixie cup and string for comms) you will need to bring pics. It's that simple.

2. Some towns require proof and some don't. No telling what your town will demand, not knowing which town it is (and only residents from there would really know).

3. Skip the talk about gunsmithing. You can't get a MA gunsmithing license unless you have a business address (commercially zoned office/storefront) anyway. You could work for a gun shop doing gunsmithing maybe however. Read the info in the sticky threads about filing for a LTC and you will get some good guidance there.

Casey,

I train people on what to expect with the Moon Island test and get feedback from them after the fact, so I'll try answering you TTBOMK based on that. Last experience was a student who passed the test last week.

Hi LenS,

Thanks for your input and help. Where do you train people out of? I might be itnerested in some training and help with a dry run if your available.

Thanks LenS, I tried doing a search and looked through the stickies and didn’t see anything for these topics specifically..... although they were probably right in front of my face the whole time, haha.

My problem is I've never even stepped foot inside a Police Station (until today!) and was extremely nervous for some reason. I was just trying to give myself a little extra reassurance, ended up getting the nerve to just call them and I'm glad I did. I don’t need to worry about the pictures, don’t need to worry about the residency, and left out any mention of gunsmithing.

Thanks again for getting back to me, now it’s time to play the waiting game!

Back
Top Bottom