Tips on Applying for LTC-Important Info

A restriction is not a denial, and a denial can be appealed.
Unless you ask for "unrestricted", get "restricted" in Brookline, and answer "no, I have never been denied" when renewing. I heard there was a case where that department alleged that the failure to disclose the denial of the requested unrestricted flavor of license when asked about denials was "lying on the application".

Unless you ask for "unrestricted", get "restricted" in Brookline, and answer "no, I have never been denied" when renewing. I heard there was a case where that department alleged that the failure to disclose the denial of the requested unrestricted flavor of license when asked about denials was "lying on the application".

That would be consistent with Brookline's abusive practices.

Looking for some answers to my recent LTC application. I was arrested as a minor in New Jersey in the early 70's on possession of marijuana, but never convicted. I've disclosed this information (Line Item #10 I think). Couple of questions;
1. does this disqualify me for LTC Class A
2. is it likely MA will be able to obtain these records from NJ
Sorry if I'm polluting the wrong thread in posting to this discussion.

Looking for some answers to my recent LTC application. I was arrested as a minor in New Jersey in the early 70's on possession of marijuana, but never convicted. I've disclosed this information (Line Item #10 I think). Couple of questions;
It may depend on which city or town you reside in Mass.

Shhh... Don't type so loud; you'll wake Scriv!!

Welcome to the Forum!!

I don't think it disqualifies you but chances are they will give you put you though the ringer and hand you a FID.

On another note: Watch this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4H-jQxUsGQ&feature=related

[smile]

If you were not convicted, or adjucated a youthful offender or delinquent child, then it is not a statutory disqualification. However, it is a potential suitability issue, at the discretion of your chief.

bohalloran said:

Yes, it is likely that it will show up.

That would be consistent with Brookline's abusive practices.

So, would this be a localized issue, or something to look out for in general?
I ask this because when i moved to Lowell about 4 years ago, they knocked my LTC/ALP down to hunting and target only. I am hoping to be living in a different town when my LTC is due for renewal and would like to apply for it to be ALP again.
Should i note the drop from unrestricted to restricted as a denial?

Does anyone think i will have an issue (depending on the town) going back to ALP?

I've been encouraging my daughter to get an FID for personal protection, she lives in Brookline. I've tried to convince her to get an LTC, but she's pushed back on that suggestion, and I'm not sure Brookline PD would give her one anyway. She's made an appt. for FID next week and I'm looking for some advice to help her with application.

1. Looks fairly obvious that she needs to check "FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD RESTRICTED (MACE/PEPPER SPRAY)". Is this either MACE or PEPPER SPRAY or is this for both?

2. Any recommendations on best way to answer "REASON (S) FOR REQUESTING THE ISSUANCE OF CARD OR LlCENSE:"? Is "personal protection" sufficient?

3. Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

I've been encouraging my daughter to get an FID for personal protection, she lives in Brookline. I've tried to convince her to get an LTC, but she's pushed back on that suggestion, and I'm not sure Brookline PD would give her one anyway. She's made an appt. for FID next week and I'm looking for some advice to help her with application.

1. Looks fairly obvious that she needs to check "FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD RESTRICTED (MACE/PEPPER SPRAY)". Is this either MACE or PEPPER SPRAY or is this for both?

2. Any recommendations on best way to answer "REASON (S) FOR REQUESTING THE ISSUANCE OF CARD OR LlCENSE:"? Is "personal protection" sufficient?

3. Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

if she is only going to get an FID, dont have her get the restricted mace/pepper spray one. HAve her get one so she can keep a shotgun in the home for defense. That, of course, requires taking the Basic Firearms Safety course, but that is a class well worth taking IMHO.

Indeed.

Why apply for a restricted FID at all, other than to save the cost of the training course and the renewal fee?

Issuance of an FID is NON-DISCRETIONARY. Brookline cannot play its usual games - unless an invertebrate applicant lets it.

Indeed.

Why apply for a restricted FID at all, other than to save the cost of the training course and the renewal fee?

Issuance of an FID is NON-DISCRETIONARY. Brookline cannot play its usual games - unless an invertebrate applicant lets it.

Brookline needs to be carpet bombed, plain and simple.

Brookline needs to be carpet bombed, plain and simple.

Here's text of IM discussion this morning with my daughter about Brookline PD;

Daughter
fyi..i went to the police station and said that i had an appt. and they told me that they had given the girl who issues the fid cards teh day off b/c tomorrow is her last day?
all very very confusing and retarted
i told them that i had had an appt. and was not notified that it had been cancelled
then explained that ive tried to get this FID card for 3 weeks
very very retarted operation going on there

Me
go figure, usual city beaurocrats

Daughter
i asked if i could go somewhere else and he said no, call next week
ridiculous

Here's text of IM discussion this morning with my daughter about Brookline PD;

Daughter
fyi..i went to the police station and said that i had an appt. and they told me that they had given the girl who issues the fid cards teh day off b/c tomorrow is her last day?
all very very confusing and retarted
i told them that i had had an appt. and was not notified that it had been cancelled
then explained that ive tried to get this FID card for 3 weeks
very very retarted operation going on there

Me
go figure, usual city beaurocrats

Daughter
i asked if i could go somewhere else and he said no, call next week
ridiculous

this aggression will not stand! </The Big Lebowski>

that is completely effed up man. just ridiculous. If she has the ability to get an attorney on her side to put some heat on them, maybe that would help.

this aggression will not stand! </The Big Lebowski>

that is completely effed up man. just ridiculous. If she has the ability to get an attorney on her side to put some heat on them, maybe that would help.

In the meantime, my daughter continues to be at increased risk of sexual assault due to recent rash of these types of crimes in Brookline, e.g. Oct. 2007 and again in May 2008. Brookline's dirty little secret that you won't read about in the Boston Globe Democrat.

In the meantime, my daughter continues to be at increased risk of sexual assault due to recent rash of these types of crimes in Brookline, e.g. Oct. 2007 and again in May 2008. Brookline's dirty little secret that you won't read about in the Boston Globe Democrat.

of course you wont read about it in the Globe. Brookline is an absolutely 100000% safe place to live that has ZERO issues, no crime and is all peachy.

I just puked a little bit while writing that.

Any advice

Hello

I am a new member. I recently applied for a ltc class a. I turned in a saftey course certificate from 1994, which was denied due to some law changes in 1998. They gave me a name of someone who runs courses, but did not have any idea of how to contact him. Through the wonders of the internet I was able to contact him and sign up for a course. He claimed he has never been as busy as he has been since the election. Any advice on the application process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

doctors note of mental health?

Hi I just joined the forum today because I plan on applying for my LTC, I picked up "the packet" at the police station in my town(north andover) and they are requiring me to provide a note from my doctor saying I'm mentally stable to own and carry a fire arm, they also want a letter stating the reasons why I'm applying for an LTC. my question is, is it legal for them to ask for these things? It seems slightly unconstitutional to me.

Hi I just joined the forum today because I plan on applying for my LTC, I picked up "the packet" at the police station in my town(north andover) and they are requiring me to provide a note from my doctor saying I'm mentally stable to own and carry a fire arm, they also want a letter stating the reasons why I'm applying for an LTC. my question is, is it legal for them to ask for these things? It seems slightly unconstitutional to me.

I've heard Andover is known to do that.

Legality is tricky. Put the constitutionality of it aside for a minute as that mainly just applies to the whole system in Massachusetts with respect to the second amendment.

Your local chief of police has the latitude to determine who is "suitable" to receive a shall issue license (the LTC A and B). They (certain chiefs) would say that gives them the ability to ask for things like doctor's notes.

Yes, doing so deviates from the standard form. Yes, it's different in each town (see the notes here on green towns vs. red ones). Yes, it's a byzantine, inefficient and arbitrary process, but it's the only one we've got right now.

It's also somewhat redundant since one of the checks run by the state when processing an application is a mental health history.

Maybe someone in Andover can point you toward a friendly doctor. In the meantime - start reading here: www.goal.org .

Good luck.

North Andover is listed as red in the "Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town"....good luck with getting ALP [frown]

L.T.C

Hello
I live in Harwich Ma.I have a sealed record and recently applied for a L.T.C the police said they will look into my sealed record ,I sealed it 20 years ago is their anything i can do if they deny me on the legal end. I plan on getting a Lawyer if needed
Thanks please help

Hello
I live in Harwich Ma.I have a sealed record and recently applied for a L.T.C the police said they will look into my sealed record ,I sealed it 20 years ago is their anything i can do if they deny me on the legal end. I plan on getting a Lawyer if needed
Thanks please help

The time to get the lawyer is Before you apply. I would contact Darius if you get denied ASAP. He is Cross-X on NES.

Please comment

I've written the following letter for my sister, a Medford resident, (using Scriveners model) in order to upgrade her license to unrestricted. Can I have some comments please?

Dear Chief *****,

On the advice of counsel I am submitting to you this letter as an addendum to my firearms renewal application.

I have had a firearms permit since ##/##. Before and since that time I have been an exemplary citizen. I have had no negative interactions with either law enforcement or civilians. I have, of course, always used my firearms safely and kept them safely stored in accordance with the law and common sense.

When receiving my initial license I accepted the infringements imposed upon me in good faith and with the understanding that with continued exemplary behavior on my part that the Chief would remove the restrictions placed upon my rights under the Second Amendment.

I am a mature single women who lives and travels alone. I do not have a male in my life to help insure my safety. To place restrictions upon me endangers my life and safety and the ability to defend my life should I ever find myself in a situation where that would become necessary.

Furthermore,

*One is either qualified to own handguns, or one is not, and if qualified that qualification should not be restricted.
*There is no liability to a licensing authority who issues a License to Carry to a qualified applicant regardless of the class or reason for issuance.
*An unrestricted Class A LTC is the class and reason for issuance recommended by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police and is the most commonly issued class of license for that reason.
*Because it is routinely the ‘Reason for Issuance for Non-Resident Licenses’ and it is illogical to issue a Massachusetts citizen a lesser license.

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self defense in the home."
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, June 26, 2008 -

The above mentioned recent Supreme Court decision in the case of Heller vs. Washington, D.C. expressly states “for traditionally lawful purposes”, including, but not limited to, self defense in the home.

I therefore apply for a Class A License to Carry Firearms (LTC/A) issued for All Lawful Purposes.

Hello
Thanks please help

Sealed records aren't sealed when it comes to gun licensing in Mass. Actually, they don't really mean that much to begin with. I'm glad you are seeing a lawyer.

Mark056

On the advice of counsel I am submitting to you this letter as an addendum to my firearms renewal application.

Have you consulted a firearms attorney? If not, you have the highest chances of success getting your LTC restrictions removed with their assistance - Its what they do for a living!

Back
Top Bottom