Tips on Applying for LTC-Important Info

I dont need to renew until 2011. If you move to a different town do you need to renew your license or can you just leave it alone as long as you send in the change of residence paperwork?

All you must do is file your change of address within thirty days of your move, via certified mail, return receipt requested, with copies to your original licensing authority, your new city or town, and the Criminal History Systems Board, Firearms Record Bureau.

There is no need to apply for a new LTC until your old one is about to expire.

Just be sure that if you buy a gun after the move that you tell the dealer that you have a new address as there is no way to alter the one on your license. I had to deal with this for a few years and normally just also handed them my DL with the sticker on the back showing and they got the idea right off.

You gotta love such an anal process that requires dealers to have a fingerprint scanner, but they have no provisions for a simple change of address. I mean really. They have this big ol' space at the bottom of the license. You mean to tell me they can't send you a 2 line sticker to put there for an address change?

But hey, we all know that none of this license BS is anything to do with safety, it's all a means to CONTROL.

All you must do is file your change of address within thirty days of your move, via certified mail, return receipt requested, with copies to your original licensing authority, your new city or town, and the Criminal History Systems Board, Firearms Record Bureau.

There is no need to apply for a new LTC until your old one is about to expire.

Hypothetical situation...

Suppose I live in a "Green Town" and I renew my license there. In between the time I submit my paperwork and the license is approved by the CLEO I move to another community that might not be as RKBA friendly.

Would that license still be valid and/or would I have to start the application process all over again, or could I just simply take possession of the license and notify the appropriate authorities of the address change?

Assuming the planets are in proper alignment and all this happens within the 30 day window, would that make a difference?

Last edited:
Just be sure that if you buy a gun after the move that you tell the dealer that you have a new address as there is no way to alter the one on your license. I had to deal with this for a few years and normally just also handed them my DL with the sticker on the back showing and they got the idea right off.

You gotta love such an anal process that requires dealers to have a fingerprint scanner, but they have no provisions for a simple change of address. I mean really. They have this big ol' space at the bottom of the license. You mean to tell me they can't send you a 2 line sticker to put there for an address change?

But hey, we all know that none of this license BS is anything to do with safety, it's all a means to CONTROL.

Ok, I might as well just leave it as it is. I've been waiting since Feburary to make some simple changes to my already restricted Class A, but as long as it's still valid then screw it.

where can i find
* See Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law (8th Ed.), Glidden, Ron C., “§ 131 Notes” at Page 70 and “Frequently Asked Questions,” ¶¶ 2 through 5 at Page 218; see also the 6th Edition, Summary,” ¶ 2 - “Class B NOT Recommended,” ¶ 3 - “Restricted LTC’s,” and ¶ 5 - “All Lawful Purpose” at Page 69; “ See also the 4th Edition at pages 181-183.

screevner had posted a few pages ago?

Buy a copy (11th Edition is the latest I'm aware of) from the MCOPA's MPI website. $45 + S/H IIRC. AFS in N. Attleboro had them for sale (older edition) for $30 a few months ago. No idea if they still have them or not.

I'm live in Watertown MA and am looking into getting my class A. I checked the Watertown PD website ( http://www.watertownpd.org/faq.html#License ) and was kind of surprised at the list of requirements. They include:
A detailed letter to Chief Edward Deveau giving all the particulars for wanting to carry a firearm.

Two letters of reference...

along with lots of other things. Any thoughts on what should be in my letter? Should it just say, "I would like a Class A LTC for all lawful purposes."? If anybody from Watertown has gone through this process I'd greatly appreciate any insight.

I'm live in Watertown MA and am looking into getting my class A. I checked the Watertown PD website ( http://www.watertownpd.org/faq.html#License ) and was kind of surprised at the list of requirements. They include:
A detailed letter to Chief Edward Deveau giving all the particulars for wanting to carry a firearm.

Two letters of reference...

along with lots of other things. Any thoughts on what should be in my letter? Should it just say, "I would like a Class A LTC for all lawful purposes."? If anybody from Watertown has gone through this process I'd greatly appreciate any insight.

You'll get your permit, just don't expect the experience to be a painless one.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23389&highlight=watertown

Last edited:
for my town, I printed the application up and filled it out, added my two references and passed it in. I didnt need a letter to the chief or even a letter of reference from anyone. That, or they didnt tell me and Im flying blind at the moment. But Im all printed up and I was told my permit would be ready in 4-6 weeks so I assume its all peachy now, right?

I'll make this VERY simple. Here is the generally applicable portion of a "letter to the chief" (which I submit as an addendum to the app):

8. Because it is the Reason For Issuance for Non-Resident Licenses and it is illogical to issue a Massachusetts citizen a lesser license.

Scrivener,

I tried to find this in the MGL but all I could find and probably interpreted incorrectly by myself is that a NR also had to give good reasons as to why they should be issued an ALP. In otherwords, a NR could get a neutered license as well.

Can you elaborate on this point?

Scrivener,

I tried to find this in the MGL but all I could find and probably interpreted incorrectly by myself is that a NR also had to give good reasons as to why they should be issued an ALP. In otherwords, a NR could get a neutered license as well.

Can you elaborate on this point?

When that was written, ALL Non-Resident LTC's were A/ALP. Period.

Then, perhaps in response to anti's perceiving a "threat" from NR's carrying; perhaps in response to complaints from citizens rightly upset at being treated worse than non-citizens, the SP changed its policy. Now NR applicants also have to state a reason for issuance and may (I have no hard data) be issued a restricted LTC if all they want to do is shoot at a Mass. range.

The fair, obvious and, thus, logical solution of issuing EVERYONE an LTC/A - ALP was, of course, not to be expected................

so, I tried to google this book "Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law" to buy it and I cant find it, and barnes and noble as well as borders dont have it.

where does one find it?

I've been searching the forums now. Looking for what to put under "reason for issuance" area on application. I thought I read ALP is not being done any more. Is this sticky note out of date and in need of replacement?

Anyhow, should I just put All Lawful Purposes, or target/hunting/personal protection, or what? I don't anticipate any problems, but don't want to short myself somehow either. I really should know this, but am drawing a blank tonight.

"All Lawful Purposes" is now "Unrestricted."

What I put down is "Restrictions: None (formerly All Lawful Purposes)."

I've been searching the forums now. Looking for what to put under "reason for issuance" area on application. I thought I read ALP is not being done any more. Is this sticky note out of date and in need of replacement?

Anyhow, should I just put All Lawful Purposes, or target/hunting/personal protection, or what? I don't anticipate any problems, but don't want to short myself somehow either. I really should know this, but am drawing a blank tonight.

Write a paragraph or two about your particular need to carry a firearm for personal protection. This is far more compelling than merely saying that you want a gun for all lawful purposes.

I went in yesterday with it blank, figuring I'd just ask him what they wanted or expected there. If they were sticklers, I'd just say I didn't understand what the question was looking for. He said don't even bother, we do it on the computer anyhow. He put in all caps in the box on the MIRCS "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES" as the reason for issuance on the 3rd page of the application. He explained to me that this covers hunting, target, personal protection or anything else which is legal, and he went on to say it is all just common sense stuff anyhow. No paragraph or other wording necessary in this particular case. Thanks for the quick tips, though. Hope it helps somebody else in the future.

not sure what to write

Write a paragraph or two about your particular need to carry a firearm for personal protection. This is far more compelling than merely saying that you want a gun for all lawful purposes.

I like scriv's suggestion, and yours but both could potentially bite me in the butt it seems.

Scriv's is short and sweet.(and maybe they want the paragraph)

and Cross-X I like your idea as well, but not sure what I would write a short paragraph about, as I stated in my other thread money or property I would never shoot someone, Id let the police handle.

And from what Scriv's says Norton is green and one of the Lt. is a gun guy.

Im not aware of the laws here yet that deadly force is allowed, my only logical reasoning that comes to mind is someone wielding a deadly weapon coming at me, and or home invasion, Ive got some learning to do, but If you guys know and read this plz fill me in with any of your personal knowledge.

as you guys know the deck is stacked and seems harder and harder daily for a law abiding citizen to exercise his rights.

xMikroNx:

You have been given some good advice, shown websites that are informative; you also apparently live in a green town. Perhaps you are making this out to be much harder than it really is. Why not simply take information you have been given and apply for the license? That is what the majority of us do once we have the information.

Is there something you are not telling us?

Respectfully,

Mark L.

xMikroNx:

You have been given some good advice, shown websites that are informative; you also apparently live in a green town. Perhaps you are making this out to be much harder than it really is. Why not simply take information you have been given and apply for the license? That is what the majority of us do once we have the information.

Is there something you are not telling us?

Respectfully,

Mark L.

Nope, just wanted to be 100% sure as the sticky was a lil outdated, but your right in I do have all the necessary info and will just end up asking the LT. at Norton PD before submitting my app if All Lawful Purpose is acceptable or If I should elaborate.(Ive always been a bit careful and nit picky, in my nature I suppose, plus the whole thing about it going against my record if denied)

Will post back in general discussion and let everyone know how things go after the 18th.

I like scriv's suggestion, and yours but both could potentially bite me in the butt it seems.

Scriv's is short and sweet.(and maybe they want the paragraph)

and Cross-X I like your idea as well, but not sure what I would write a short paragraph about, as I stated in my other thread money or property I would never shoot someone, Id let the police handle.

And from what Scriv's says Norton is green and one of the Lt. is a gun guy.

Im not aware of the laws here yet that deadly force is allowed, my only logical reasoning that comes to mind is someone wielding a deadly weapon coming at me, and or home invasion, Ive got some learning to do, but If you guys know and read this plz fill me in with any of your personal knowledge.

as you guys know the deck is stacked and seems harder and harder daily for a law abiding citizen to exercise his rights.

I recommend that you take The Art of Concealed Carry seminar that Jon Green and I teach at GOAL. Visit www.goal.org and go to the Training section to sign up.

Nope, just wanted to be 100% sure as the sticky was a lil outdated, but your right in I do have all the necessary info and will just end up asking the LT. at Norton PD before submitting my app if All Lawful Purpose is acceptable or If I should elaborate.(Ive always been a bit careful and nit picky, in my nature I suppose, plus the whole thing about it going against my record if denied)

Will post back in general discussion and let everyone know how things go after the 18th.

Taking the course that Cross-X recommended is a good idea and I certainly endorse it as well as joining GOAL. If you have a family, spend the extra five bucks and get a family membership. Remember that even if for some arcane reason you are denied an unrestricted LTC, it is highly unlikely that you would be totally denied a LTC, more than likely it would be a restricted LTC for "Sport and Target." Barring some blemish on your record, it would appear that you are going to get a LTC if you apply.

Good luck to you,

Mark L.

Last edited:
A restriction is not a denial, and a denial can be appealed. Which is why Red towns can get away with what they do. Well, that and most people can't afford to bring a lawsuit anyway, so they just accept it.

Back
Top Bottom