Thoughts on Tavor X95

which muzzle device is that? looks like a 3 chamber brake that will divert blast backwards? great for muzzle climb but hard on the shooter. for a CQB setup perhaps consider a linear blast diverter like a troy claymore or one of these brake/diverter combos.

http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/a...t-control-devices-2016/#balsum-blast-ferfrans

it pushes the blast and noise forward away from the shooter. brings the noise down from full retard to mostly retard level. the downside is recoil is increased, but for CQB shooting of a 5.56 it's inconsequential. for longer range shooting with magnified optics these blast devices do disturb sight picture. i'm running a troy claymore on my bolt 5.56 and it makes shooting super pleasant.

I'm running the Precision Armament M4-72 muzzle break.

https://precisionarmament.com/product/m4-72-tactical-compensator/

A little loud but it is what it is. I use it on two of my 5.56 and one 308.

The muzzle break on mine was factory installed OEM and it's sweet. Shot it again today and am loving it. I had a Bushnell ACOG style red dot sitting in the safe, put it on for kicks and co-witnesses nicely. I know this is honeymoon period but boy, my AR might get awful lonely this summer. 300 rounds in and it's still nice and clean!

I'm pretty excited to have joined this club as of this past weekend too! I was traveling so haven't had a chance to put any rounds through it yet, but it's a really sweet rig! Definitely heavier than I was expecting it to feel, but seems very well designed and built. Can't wait to try this thing, unfortunately work will be preventing that for a bit.[sad2] Got to rebuild the coffers though after that hit!

What is the situation with the muzzle brake?

Looks like the factory restricted state version has a very long barrel.

What sort of brake is that?

Is it any good?

I guess you have to pin and weld an aftermarket one.

I do know that the barrel has 2 nuts so you can easily screw on a new brake and tighten it while keeping proper orientation.

But I guess you have to pin it. Added expense. Then you won't be able to remove it ever.

which muzzle device is that? looks like a 3 chamber brake that will divert blast backwards? great for muzzle climb but hard on the shooter. for a CQB setup perhaps consider a linear blast diverter like a troy claymore or one of these brake/diverter combos.

http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/a...t-control-devices-2016/#balsum-blast-ferfrans

it pushes the blast and noise forward away from the shooter. brings the noise down from full retard to mostly retard level. the downside is recoil is increased, but for CQB shooting of a 5.56 it's inconsequential. for longer range shooting with magnified optics these blast devices do disturb sight picture. i'm running a troy claymore on my bolt 5.56 and it makes shooting super pleasant.

my experience with the tavor series has been that the effects of muzzle device are more pronounced than say on an AR because the bullpup's muzzle is like 12" from the shooters face. many of these brakes that work great on an AR platform are painful on the tavor.

Or have the best of both worlds for not a lot of dough. Although the brake isn't the best I've used, its decent.

http://www.kineti-tech.com/kineti-t...rect-with-13-16-x-16-threaded-sleeve-2-piece/

al3n1__41015.1396642706.1280.1280.jpg

Is it any good?

I do know that the barrel has 2 nuts so you can easily screw on a new brake and tighten it while keeping proper orientation.

But I guess you have to pin it. Added expense. Then you won't be able to remove it ever.

My understanding is that a skilled gunsmith can remove brakes that have been pinned. I've seen it mentioned many times here on NES and elsewhere.

Is it any good?

It is not permanent. They can be removed by anyone who know how to use a grinder.

Ive sold a bunch of these rifles. Sometimes I pin muzzle brakes for people, sometimes just a thread protector but each can be removed.

For those that never look in the training forum . . .

We're trying to gauge interest in bringing an IDF Veteran to the US (So. NH) to teach a course on the Tavor. Please check out the following thread and if you would seriously take said course (there is a link there to some videos of her course) speak up in that thread. The info there will be sent to Doug Robinson, Manager of NEShooters.com for the partners in that company to consider scheduling such a course. I'll send that info off in a week.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...avor-Course-in-So-NH-Taught-by-an-IDF-Veteran

500 rounds through it, straight from factory, running perfect. And I haven't done anything to it since I bought it. It's nice and clean but I am going to give it a spa treatment this week just because. Slowly getting use to the peep sights. My eyes ain't the best so it's tough, but I was able to shoot sub 1 inch at 25 yards resting on my shooting bags. Pre-ban mags are not dropping freely and need a slight pull. Pmags (10 rounders) fall right out. I am no trigger aficionado but the stock trigger feels awesome to me. 20 round mag dump, standing, with peep, and I kept all shots within 10 inch target. And my speed was much faster than with my AR. So far I am still in love.

I am concerned about the noise and muzzle blast from a shorter barrel than an AR.

Although I enjoyed shooting the Tavor when I tested one about 3 years ago - I did not compare it to an AR or think about the blast.

I love AR's but I am hoping the noise on the Tavor is not too "menacing". [smile]

Now shipping in 300 Blackout:

https://loadoutroom.com/30885/iwi-us-ships-tavor-x95-bullpup-300-blackout/

Last edited:
Ooh 300 Blackout! Doesn't look like they are offering standalone barrel assemblies anywhere yet.
If only we would get some suppressor love in MA, I would love to run an SBR'd 300 BO Tavor with a can as a home defense/bugout/CQB rifle.

I've never noticed any appreciable noise or flash difference when shooting a 16" Tavor side by side with a 16" AR.
The felt recoil however is noticeable considering the weight difference. Both with A2 Birdcages. The Tavor feels like shooting a stinky pillow.

Ooh 300 Blackout! Doesn't look like they are offering standalone barrel assemblies anywhere yet.
If only we would get some suppressor love in MA, I would love to run an SBR'd 300 BO Tavor with a can as a home defense/bugout/CQB rifle.

I've never noticed any appreciable noise or flash difference when shooting a 16" Tavor side by side with a 16" AR.
The felt recoil however is noticeable considering the weight difference. Both with A2 Birdcages. The Tavor feels like shooting a stinky pillow.

What do you mean by stinky pillow?

Low recoil or gas in the face?

What do you mean by stinky pillow?

Low recoil or gas in the face?

Both. Depends on the ammo.
It can be a wee bit gassy although honestly I don't have any problem with it and have only noticed it once or twice when firing a lot and fast at the range with not the best air flow going.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread but also don't want to hijack. Anyone else having trouble with the front QD mount not engaging? No trouble at all on the 2 at the rear on both sides. Once I temporarily remove the plastic cover at the front it locks right up. I guess I need a longer QD attachment on my sling but assumed they were all mostly the same lengths.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread but also don't want to hijack. Anyone else having trouble with the front QD mount not engaging? No trouble at all on the 2 at the rear on both sides. Once I temporarily remove the plastic cover at the front it locks right up. I guess I need a longer QD attachment on my sling but assumed they were all mostly the same lengths.
No problems on mine.

My Tavor X95 with Eotech, IWI pistol grip, PWS 556 comp, Tango Down VFG, and Manticore curved buttpad. Still haven't installed my Super Sabra Lightning Bow trigger. Maybe I'll do that tonight. And yes, having your head bullpup close to the PWS comp is loud as hell...

IMG_1399.jpg

Last edited:
You should look into one of these to address the gas-in-face issue when firing:

I prefer the Gear Head Works FLEX for offhand port seal. No goofy mythical beast engraving.

Also used to dig the Manticore Switchback charger since it folds flat but then found it scrapes up the frame too much. And I had originally gotten it as an upgrade to the gen 2 IWI cocking bar, but now the gen 4 suits me just fine.

I had one. I really really wanted to like this gun. I tried. I practiced, I put the time in, I spent money for upgrades. I never achieved the level of proficiency with it as I have with my AR. It’s a very heavy rifle - and my go to AR is an LWRC which ain’t light. Just not for me. Traded it for an AR race gun

Attachments

• 9A3A663B-26B3-4C69-8D29-FA3BA1EE54E7.jpeg
    9A3A663B-26B3-4C69-8D29-FA3BA1EE54E7.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 15
Bought my Tavor last year through a NESer. I love it. Got a standard 16" model shipped to an FFL to pin & weld a muzzle brake, and then got a LH conversion and added a Geissele trigger pack, curved buttpad, flashlight, holo sight, and magnifier. It's a great choice for MA because, besides the pin & weld, you don't have to cripple it in any way to be AWB compliant. Get some pre-ban mags and it almost feels like you live in a free state.

I had one. I really really wanted to like this gun. I tried. I practiced, I put the time in, I spent money for upgrades. I never achieved the level of proficiency with it as I have with my AR. It’s a very heavy rifle - and my go to AR is an LWRC which ain’t light. Just not for me. Traded it for an AR race gun

heavy is good, feels good shoots good. But everyone has their own preference.

Bought my Tavor last year through a NESer. I love it. Got a standard 16" model shipped to an FFL to pin & weld a muzzle brake, and then got a LH conversion and added a Geissele trigger pack, curved buttpad, flashlight, holo sight, and magnifier. It's a great choice for MA because, besides the pin & weld, you don't have to cripple it in any way to be AWB compliant. Get some pre-ban mags and it almost feels like you live in a free state.

I recall back in the 90s during the Clinton gun ban, ARs with plain muzzles shot far more accurately than those that had muzzle brakes pinned and welded. I wonder... does this make the same difference on a tavor or is it not just that accurate to begin with?

heavy is good, feels good shoots good. But everyone has their own preference.

I recall back in the 90s during the Clinton gun ban, ARs with plain muzzles shot far more accurately than those that had muzzle brakes pinned and welded. I wonder... does this make the same difference on a tavor or is it not just that accurate to begin with?
It's plenty accurate for a battle rifle whose barrel isn't free floated

Back
Top Bottom