Think its time for a .45ACP

It might be hard to find but I've come to really like my HK45. The accuracy is excellent though the trigger could use some work. I'd be tempted to get rid of my 1911 before the HK45.

Maybe it's my American bravado....but it's always time for a .45. It's like Miller time! The only reason I carry .40 is because MA won't let me carry a gun that holds enough .45.

Is it just me or does the P220 consistently go for less than the 226/229?

Not really, although there are more of them out there. In general any non-railed P series sig costs a lot less than the new ones. [wink]

-Mike

Is reloading getting better? I know many complained about price and availability a few months ago.

There was never a problem with price and availability of components. The prices went up but not by leaps and bounds. Only an endless train of whiners. Worst time was the winter of 08/09 after Obama got elected, and even then I had no trouble getting boxes of primers sporadically- and that's where the only real trouble spot was. Some component producers had shortages, too, but nothing waiting a week or two didn't fix. Savings are still about 50% on pistol ammo. I make .45 ACP for what it used to cost me to buy it back in 2004. (Like $9.25 a box- for you WWB val pak folks that's like $18.50/100. ) The lead casting crew types pay even less than that, assuming they have a cheap source of lead.

-Mike

Last edited:
There was never a problem with price and availability of components. The prices went up but not by leaps and bounds. Only an endless train of whiners. Worst time was the winter of 08/09 after Obama got elected, and even then I had no trouble getting boxes of primers sporadically- and that's where the only real trouble spot was. Some component producers had shortages, too, but nothing waiting a week or two didn't fix. Savings are still about 50% on pistol ammo. I make .45 ACP for what it used to cost me to buy it back in 2004. (Like $9.25 a box) The lead casting crew types pay even less than that, assuming they have a cheap source of lead.

-Mike

there were a lot of issues getting primers nationwide for awhile last year

Yes, there was, but you could still find a box here and a box there. Getting 5K loafs/sleeves was tough, though. To put it in generic terms, even when the primers were short, reloading 1000 rounds of .45 ACP was still way easier and cheaper than even -finding- 1000 rounds of commercially loaded .45 .

-Mike

There was never a problem with price and availability of components. The prices went up but not by leaps and bounds. Only an endless train of whiners. Worst time was the winter of 08/09 after Obama got elected, and even then I had no trouble getting boxes of primers sporadically- and that's where the only real trouble spot was. Some component producers had shortages, too, but nothing waiting a week or two didn't fix. Savings are still about 50% on pistol ammo. I make .45 ACP for what it used to cost me to buy it back in 2004. (Like $9.25 a box- for you WWB val pak folks that's like $18.50/100. ) The lead casting crew types pay even less than that, assuming they have a cheap source of lead.

-Mike

Now, I am guessing I can't fire reloads down a .40 Glock because of the riffling issues? That price is a hell of a lot better than what I pay for .45 ACP now.

Now, I am guessing I can't fire reloads down a .40 Glock because of the riffling issues? That price is a hell of a lot better than what I pay for .45 ACP now.

I have pit about 20,000 roundsd of hard cast lead through my Glock 22 with no problems.

To the OP, I would personally suggest that you stay away from the Ruger line of guns. They seem like they're good enough quality, but good old Bill Ruger stabbed us all in the back WRT the 94 AWB. He's not getting any of my money, but YMMV.

Like most other products, if you have the time and the money you can get just about any non-compliant handgun in Mass. The good thing about most Glocks is that they're on the EOPS roster, so a lot of them appear on the secondhand market if a cop buys it and sells it later on. I've found that the trick to finding a gun like that in Mass. is to watch the local want ads and the Classifieds here like a hawk for what you want, with cash in hand, and then pounce as soon as you see one. It's not like a free state where you can just walk into a store and buy one, but they do pop up from time to time.

But logic still applies; if you want something exceptionally rare to the US market in general like a Vektor CP1 or a Glock 25 /28, the odds of finding one shrink to nearly impossible in a state like Mass. It does happen from time to time though.

Underwhere pulled his M&P apart in post #7 of this thread, and he didn't think it was that sturdy. I've never owned an M&P though.

The complaint in the thread you referred to was wear and tear on the polymer frame. The S&W M&P locking blocks are secured to a metal frame imbedded in the polymer with a roll pin. I don't think wear of the polymer frame will be much of a problem.

There are no "rifling issues". Use jacketed bullets. There's no law that says you have to use bare lead. I reload for my Glocks, USP .45 Tac, and P7M8 with no problems. (All have polygonal rifling. ). I've used jacketed and plated without trouble. You can also use cast lead if you want, although some would suggest changing the barrel, but I wouldn't even bother, I'd just find a combination of bullet size and hardness that works without leading instead. Regardless, you're going to save a buttload of cash any way you slice it, if you burn through several cases of ammo a year. Or putting it another way, you can shoot more for the same amount of money you're already spending on ammo.

-Mike

You simply can't go wrong with a S&W 1911 of any type, new or used. Also, I don't understand the preference for the Glock 21 over the M&P45. Sure, there's the availability of pre-ban high caps, but if it's capacity you want, you want a wondernine of some type, not a 45. Go with the 1911. Think about it, have you ever once seen on this board of over 10,000 users, anyone say anyting critical of a 1911?

Chris

Bunches :)

But I love my 1911. It's really up to personal preference which gun you'll get. Shoot em all, or make a decision based on what you can find when you decide to buy.

OK, perhaps I exaggerated to some extent, but investigation will prove a very high ratio (50:1 ??) on this board of pro 1911 to con 1911. There's a reason why a 100+ year old design is still popular and revered. In fact, read the firearm press. Those new to firearms (and with limited vocabularies) may think the pistol is officially called the "Venerable 1911". I was skeptical at first as well, in fact, I sold my first 1911 to someone on this board (and if you're reading this, Dave, I'll buy it back from you any time) because it did not feel right to me. I needed to give it more time to get used to the single action trigger. Now, I shoot my 1911s better than any other firearm I own.

Chris

OK, perhaps I exaggerated to some extent, but investigation will prove a very high ratio (50:1 ??) on this board of pro 1911 to con 1911. There's a reason why a 100+ year old design is still popular and revered. In fact, read the firearm press. Those new to firearms (and with limited vocabularies) may think the pistol is officially called the "Venerable 1911". I was skeptical at first as well, in fact, I sold my first 1911 to someone on this board (and if you're reading this, Dave, I'll buy it back from you any time) because it did not feel right to me. I needed to give it more time to get used to the single action trigger. Now, I shoot my 1911s better than any other firearm I own.

Chris

The old girl still has legs. There is a reason some are calling for a return to the .45/1911. Isn't it amazing John Browning designed a handgun that is still VERY effective to this day? My hat is off to this great man!

Just getting around to reading this now. I have been busy all day. There was quite a few posts today. There are alot of good options out there and I'm sure i'll end up with one of them. The 1911 would honestly be my first choice depending on price. Price is really the only thing making me look at some of the other guns. All i know is I would want a full stainless frame with a stainless slide.

He's -dead- too (Bill Ruger Sr, the man that uttered that quote) so he's really not getting any of your money. [laugh] The Ruger of AWB fame is no longer. They even sell normal capacity Mini-14 mags now.

-Mike

Death of a company head didn't prevent vocal athiests from boycotting the ACOG. [wink] I actually didn't know he was dead, but I have yet to see an official apology/change of intent from the company either.

Not really, although there are more of them out there. In general any non-railed P series sig costs a lot less than the new ones. [wink]

Really? Why is that?

Yup, I remember reading statements from several ammo manufacturers during the worst part of the craze saying things like "We're trying to keep up with orders, but due to the component shortage we don't know when we'll have X product available again." Also, I'm not into reloading myself, but down here in the Gunshine State people are still having trouble finding them locally.

The issue is that if you shoot reloads through a Glock it voids the warranty, and if anything goes wrong with the gun and you admit that you ever used reloads, they'll cut you loose; I remember an interesting thread on GlockTalk involving a G20 barrel splitting completely apart where that happened, Glock wouldn't even talk to the guy after that. And yes, polygonal rifling and lead allegedly don't mix, but I've never personally tried it. The few times I've shot straight lead through a Glock was with an aftermarket barrel bought specifically for that purpose.

OK, perhaps I exaggerated to some extent, but investigation will prove a very high ratio (50:1 ??) on this board of pro 1911 to con 1911. There's a reason why a 100+ year old design is still popular and revered.

1911's are cool, I like shooting many of them, but they make Paris Hilton look low-maintenance by comparison. And since I use guns for function and not pretty, they don't get much attention from me.

But YMMV. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom