Think its time for a .45ACP

1911's are cool, I like shooting many of them, but they make Paris Hilton look low-maintenance by comparison. And since I use guns for function and not pretty, they don't get much attention from me.

But YMMV. [grin]

I've never really figured out the whole "high maintenance" thing for 1911s. Mine is reliable, and seems pretty simple to take down (especially compared to the ruger mkiii and S&W 659). I've heard of some brands requiring some tinkering on the occasion, but that isn't always the case.

Well not really. If i went the 1911 route it would be full stainless. Obviously this would not be an option if i go with a P220 or G21. I just prefer the full stainless 1911's over other finishes if i go that route.

Sorry, that was my attempt at humor. It's in reference to a quote by Bruce Willis from Die Hard 2.

That punk pulled a GLOCK 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it costs more than you make here in a month.

It doesn't exist, but it's the source of much internet gun legend.

I've never really figured out the whole "high maintenance" thing for 1911s. Mine is reliable, and seems pretty simple to take down (especially compared to the ruger mkiii and S&W 659). I've heard of some brands requiring some tinkering on the occasion, but that isn't always the case.

It's a nightmare to get some of them apart, and this thread would keep me up at night if I owned one.

It's a nightmare to get some of them apart, and this thread would keep me up at night if I owned one.

Good thing I never saw that thread! I probably would have not bought both of mine 1911's! Never had any problems like that. They are not as easy as the M&P that I own, but they are not that difficult.

My hubby has H&K 45, great gun, but too big and boxy for me...at least for me to CC.

Back to what the original poster is looking for, I don't think you can pick up a good 1911 for the money you want to spend.

Last edited:
I started withe a cz75 a few years ago. The next gun was a S&W 1911 and it preformed beautifully except when mounting a red dot and trying to tune the impossible external extractor. The gun is accurate enough and now an open gun ( after two unsuccessful attempts with different mounts) that performs great with a Quinn mount.
I bought a Les Bauer last summer and it is a great piece, I know a little pricey but I am only here once! :) I have just had build a 9mm open gun single stack 1911 and this is great also. The 1911 line of pistosl is very addicting, easy to work on and if you tune them just right becomes an extension of your body when shooting. JMO

image006.jpg

image004.jpg

hahaha, yeah it seems the general consensus was to go for a 1911 since I don't have one. I put up a WTB in the classified and have got some hit. I haven't anything really catch my eye yet but I'm sure something will come along. The hardest part is deciding on a model. I'm not 100% sure I want to go the S&W route just yet but am leaning in that direction due to the budget i set.

I have not read the entire thread. this is a response to the OPs original post.

All are fine guns.
Consider what you own now.
Consider how you intend to use it.

For example. If you are looking for a range gun, the 1911 might be a great choice. It will allow you to learn a new kind of gun and is generally very accurate.

If instead, you carry a glock .40 for self defense and intend to carry this .45 for self defense, a 1911 is a bad choice unless you are willing to invest a lot of time in
training. You will need to "reprogram" yourself to instinctively sweep the safety off every time you draw AND instinctively sweep the safety on every time you holster.

Don

I personally think the Sig P220 is one of the most classic pistols ever made. I jsut feels right in the hand. Great balance, will run foreever. That said, My buddy has an M&P45 and I really like the low profile slide. I had an HK45 (newest one) and while that think flet great in the hand, I think I actually liked the feel and recoil characteristics of the M&P better. (Although that M&P trigger is a whole other matter :-(.

I've got a M&P 45 and a Les Baer 1911. They are whole different beasts to me. The baer is very reliable and totally accurate. But is just a range toy. I have spent the better part of the last 10 years of my life shooting DAO guns. Glocks, Kahrs, M&Ps, even a 342 revolver.

I am not adequately trained with the 1911. I certainly know how to shoot it. But its not at the point where if the SHTF, I won't fall back to 10 years of DAO instinct and just start squeezing.

re the M&P .45 there are ways to fix the trigger. if you are a DIY person, a well respected gunsmith has published detailed instructions on his web site. He's also one of the go to guys if you want to send the gun out. His price is a very reasonable $80. The problem is you will spend another $100 on 2 way insured shipping.

Don

I have an M&P45 currently. I've had some range time with the 1911, but don't own one, so I can't speak to the comparison of the two in the same vein as dcmdon. I was somewhat indifferent to my M&P45 until I had the trigger re-worked. The gun now has a very linear trigger pull, and it behaves like a completely different animal. Like Amurr and others have commented, the low profile slide is nice. With the trigger work done, my group size improved dramatically, and it's been very reliable for me.

I still want a 1911 though, for what it's worth.

Matt

Any .45 I get will be an occasional range gun unless it really starts to grow on me. I just can't see it taking the place of some of the other smaller lighter guns I own even if it is a .45.

I've heard ones with full length guide rods are a bit tougher to take down, mine just has the regular rod. Unless you are particularly inept or lazy, I don't see the standard 1911 config being prohibitively problematic.

I'm sure most types of gun have horror stories...

Any .45 I get will be an occasional range gun unless it really starts to grow on me. I just can't see it taking the place of some of the other smaller lighter guns I own even if it is a .45.

LT1 - I realized a long time ago that I was too lazy to carry a gun in a belt holster. I have a drawer full of holsters for Glocks, full sized Kahrs, S&W 5906, K frames, etc.
Once I did realize I was lazy, I set out to own the best pocket guns I could afford.

Now I have a Kahr PM9, S&W 342 and a Ruger LCP. All are double action only.
The Kahr is the best shooting subcompact on the planet. Unfortunately its just a bit too heavy for me to pocket carry, so its usually left home.

The 342 and LCP get out of the house a lot. Both are carried in a desantis nemesis pocket holster.

Don

*****Here's the link to the DIY M&P trigger job instructions I mentioned earlier****
http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

Last edited:
LT1 - I realized a long time ago that I was too lazy to carry a gun in a belt holster. I have a drawer full of holsters for Glocks, full sized Kahrs, S&W 5906, K frames, etc.
Once I did realize I was lazy, I set out to own the best pocket guns I could afford.

Now I have a Kahr PM9, S&W 342 and a Ruger LCP. All are double action only.
The Kahr is the best shooting subcompact on the planet. Unfortunately its just a bit too heavy for me to pocket carry, so its usually left home.

The 342 and LCP get out of the house a lot. Both are carried in a desantis nemesis pocket holster.

Don

*****Here's the link to the DIY M&P trigger job instructions I mentioned earlier****
http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

[laugh][laugh][laugh] I hear you there. My primary carry was a G26 in an MTAC. Although I love the MTAC the G26 was a little thick and uncomfortable at times. I got an LCP about a year ago and it has been the only gun i have carried since. It is so light and easy to carry i go with it all the time. I have the nemisis but I got the superfly too and prefer that. I like the flap in the front to break up the lines and since it is Velcro it is removable.

When the PM9's are more readily available or if i find a non-ma compliant one on here for a reasonable price I plan on picking it up for a backup pocket gun and they make an MTAC for it as well.

ha. I forgot about the G26. I bought one after I realized that my G23 was too big. Of course I learned the same thing you did. The G26 is fat. FAT. for its size. My gun after that was the PM9. Great gun. Very slim. But still a bit heavy for me.

I've never tried the MTAC. I generally don't like IWB holsters though.

Don

ha. I forgot about the G26. I bought one after I realized that my G23 was too big. Of course I learned the same thing you did. The G26 is fat. FAT. for its size.
I disagree 110%... The G26 is not "fat for its size". It's probably the most "size efficient" double stack subcompact 9mm auto out there. The G19 is the same way in its own right. (vs guns of similar capacity). I'll bet you a beer you can't find an auto that holds 10+1 rounds of 9mm (with the flat mag) that is smaller than the G26 is. Maybe the Springfield XD comes close. Taurus might make something similar, but.... it's a Taurus. There's also the Kel Tec P11... but same deal there.... ugh. Those are about the only two possibilities.

BTW,I like Bass Ale. [laugh]

The PM9 is smaller but it also holds less ammo to accomplish that. It's a single stack auto, as well, and comparing a single to a
double 9mm is like comparing a little tangerine to an orange.

-Mike

Last edited:
I disagree 110%... The G26 is not "fat for its size". It's probably the most "size efficient" double stack subcompact 9mm auto out there. The G19 is the same way in its own right. (vs guns of similar capacity). I'll bet you a beer you can't find an auto that holds 10+1 rounds of 9mm (with the flat mag) that is smaller than the G26 is. Maybe the Springfield XD comes close. Taurus might make something similar, but.... it's a Taurus.

The PM9 is smaller but it also holds less ammo to accomplish that. It's a single stack auto, as well, and comparing a single to a

-Mike
I dont disagree with everything you said. But the G26 is fat. Its the same thickness as a G34. Its a great gun. I actually shot one in IDPA for 2 years and made Marksman with it. But it is too fat to carry in my pocket. Period. All the talk of what a great gun it is is irrlevant if I don't carry it.l

Its profile is comparable to the P9, not the PM9, which holds 7 in the mag. So yes, its down 3 rounds. But it works in my pocket.

And you know the cliche, a Seecamp in your pocket is better than a 1911 in the safe.

I've not shot the G26, but I do own a P11 and it is no fun to shoot at all. It reminds me of shooting a S&W 442, especially with 38+p ammo. Not much fun at all.

Having said that I often carry a KelTec P3AT and it is quite comfortable to shoot. It is only a 380, but conceals beautifully, is remarkable accurate for such a short handgun, and is not bad to shoot.

I disagree 110%... The G26 is not "fat for its size". It's probably the most "size efficient" double stack subcompact 9mm auto out there. The G19 is the same way in its own right. (vs guns of similar capacity). I'll bet you a beer you can't find an auto that holds 10+1 rounds of 9mm (with the flat mag) that is smaller than the G26 is. Maybe the Springfield XD comes close. Taurus might make something similar, but.... it's a Taurus. There's also the Kel Tec P11... but same deal there.... ugh. Those are about the only two possibilities.

-Mike

LT1MCSS, do yourself a huge favor and just get a 1911. You can get a full size, stainless, used for around 700 even less if you look. I had a G21 and a P220 i just sold the Sig last week because i picked up a 1911 and saw no need for the other guns. I guarantee the 1911 will intrigue and tease you for months till you shoot it and once you do, you will want one.

A 1911 will become your favorite gun.

There's nothing like showing up at the range and getting warmed up on the paper that's already hanging because you know you made the BIG holes. If you pick up a couple of boxes of Bullseye reloads, you can save some money and find out why so many people reload.

I have an uptown Colt and bought a Smith for my son. Both are stainless. Both are great guns. In a safe full of guns, the Colt is the one that makes every trip to the range.

A friend of mine recommended the GI expert but I don't think I can transfer it through a dealer since its new isn't it? If thats the case I don't think that gun is good enough to pay the extra and find one through a private sale.

It may not be mass compliant. I would do extensive searches on Para before you buy one.

I said in an earlier post in this thread that because I've been shooting DAO guns for the last 10 years, I don't consider myself to be proficient enough with a 1911 to carry it.

The most basic measure of proficiency in my mind would be that sweeping the safety off when coming on target needs to be happening in the subconscious.

But equally important, it needs to be automatic for you to put the safety on when you are off target. Or at the very least, before you reholster. Automatic, EVERY time.

So I've been toying with the idea of trying to gain that level of proficiency. My Baer Premier II is a great gun, but I wouldn't carry it. However considering what I might be purchasing, I may use the Baer to replace my G34 at the local plate and bowling ball matches I've been attending.

So I recently came upon a Colt Light Weight Officers at a local gun shop in very good condition for $659. I'm thinking of buying it. These guns have a reputation for either being good runners or not. The dealer said he'd give me my money back within 2 weeks if it didn't run right.

Right now he's getting a price to have it fitted with an ambi safety (I'm a southpaw) or even a right hand side only safety.

I know its going to recoil like all getout. But I'm pretty immune to it by now. Being old, I know when to stop. Last time out I got through an entire 5 rounds of .357 out of my 340PD (10.5 ounce .357 magnum) before I had to switch to 38 special. ha.

Any thoughts are welcomed. I don't really consider this a thread hijack since this applies to the OP also.

Don

Back
Top Bottom