Think its time for a .45ACP

Well I haven't bought any new guns in a while. Its actually been almost a year. I got a new car last year so i decided to cut back on the gun spending for a bit. A friend of mine wants to go shooting since neither of us has been in a while. He has quite the collection of guns. We'll probably make a trip up to Bob's next weekend. So we got on the topic of guns and what we wanted to try to add to the collection this year.

The one thing I don't have yet is a .45. I said I wanted to add one last year and that didn't happen. I'm seriously thinking its going to be my first purchase of 2010. I know the obvious suggestion from people is going to get a 1911. I'm thinking of a G21, P220, 1911.

The good part is this friend owns all 3. He owns a G21SF, 2 1911's (Kimber & Springfield), and just picked up a P220 last weekend.
I have shot the G21SF and the Springfield. I have never shot a P220 but he is taking it next weekend to try out.

Overall I liked the G21. It was a little thick but was fairly comfortable to shoot. The 1911 was nice, i only put one mag or two through it and it was a year and a half ago. I don't really recall not liking but it was finicky on ammo and did jam every now and then. I'm really interested in trying the P220. The only thing I have to compare it to is my 229. Without having even shot it my friend said the P220 is more comfortable in his hand because it is a little thinner. Even with the G21 being the SF model its still pretty thick.

If I get a G21 it will definitely be a regular 3rd gen. Probably won't try to find an SF because I think i'm stuck with just 10rd mags because of the ambidextrous mag release.

If i get a Sig it will be a P220 w/ a rail

If its a 1911 I would consider a Colt, Kimber, Springfield, S&W

Price wise my goal would be to stay around $600-650 which will probably rule out most 1911's with the exception of some of the S&W's

I think whatever one I decide on would be a good choice, but I'm looking forward to trying them out again. Just thought I would share. [grin] If anyone else wants to add their input its always appreciated.

I own and like all three. You'll have to decide which one you like the best. I'll add one thing you didn't mention. .22 conversion kits are available for all three.

I've had 21SF, Now have 30SF, SW645, and a1911 RIA 45. I've really grown to love the 45, so much that I started reloading just so I could shoot them more....

If your not into fancy, the RIA really is pretty good for the 450 price tag.....I've got lots of rounds thru mine without a hiccup.

It's pretty much unamerican not to own a 45.

Must say, I love my Smith & Wession 1911 commander model in scandium
Feels right in my hand, and shoots great groupings. Quality fit/finish seems pretty good for it''s price.
Bought it from Zero Hour Arms, a really nice gun store in Easton MA

ace57

price wise, they are probably the same "ball park"

i would go with a Smith and Wesson 1911. time tested, single action and Clint Eastwood had one in Grand Torino... [smile]

[wink]

Well I haven't bought any new guns in a while. Its actually been almost a year. I got a new car last year so i decided to cut back on the gun spending for a bit. A friend of mine wants to go shooting since neither of us has been in a while. He has quite the collection of guns. We'll probably make a trip up to Bob's next weekend. So we got on the topic of guns and what we wanted to try to add to the collection this year.

The one thing I don't have yet is a .45. I said I wanted to add one last year and that didn't happen. I'm seriously thinking its going to be my first purchase of 2010. I know the obvious suggestion from people is going to get a 1911. I'm thinking of a G21, P220, 1911.

The good part is this friend owns all 3. He owns a G21SF, 2 1911's (Kimber & Springfield), and just picked up a P220 last weekend.
I have shot the G21SF and the Springfield. I have never shot a P220 but he is taking it next weekend to try out.

Overall I liked the G21. It was a little thick but was fairly comfortable to shoot. The 1911 was nice, i only put one mag or two through it and it was a year and a half ago. I don't really recall not liking but it was finicky on ammo and did jam every now and then. I'm really interested in trying the P220. The only thing I have to compare it to is my 229. Without having even shot it my friend said the P220 is more comfortable in his hand because it is a little thinner. Even with the G21 being the SF model its still pretty thick.

If I get a G21 it will definitely be a regular 3rd gen. Probably won't try to find an SF because I think i'm stuck with just 10rd mags because of the ambidextrous mag release.

If i get a Sig it will be a P220 w/ a rail

If its a 1911 I would consider a Colt, Kimber, Springfield, S&W

Price wise my goal would be to stay around $600-650 which will probably rule out most 1911's with the exception of some of the S&W's

I think whatever one I decide on would be a good choice, but I'm looking forward to trying them out again. Just thought I would share. [grin] If anyone else wants to add their input its always appreciated.

You can get a G21SF without the ambi catch....this allows you to use your older mags.

Steve

Although the single stack 7 rnd. mag sucks I love my s&w 457.Very thin compact easy to carry,but man that .45acp ammo is getting expensive and hard to find in my area.

If you buy the "standard" G21SF it will take standard G21 mags, contrary to popular belief. I own a G21SF "Standard Rail" version and it takes old cruddy G21 prebans and the like just fine.

-Mike

If you don't get the G21SF (and you should), get the M&P45. Nice gun.

hmmm i didnt even think of the M&P honestly but i dont think i could talk myself into getting one over the other ones I mentioned. I think if i did i would sell it in a year to buy one of the other 3. I wonder why all the confusion on the G21SF. If they pre-ban mags do in fact work fine in the in the SF model that does give an edge to the G21 IMO.

I like the Sig P220 the best. It's thinner profile is definitely easier to carry. However, it is expensive....about $850 right now. I can tell you the takedown for the P220 is by far the easiest.

My vote goes for S&W 1911 as well. Probably one of the most reliable 1911's out of the box. I love mine in stainless steel with olive drab crimson trace laser grips. Very accurate, never a jam, FTF or FTE. However, I'm also partial to single action which is why I'd rule the other two guns out anyway. 1911's are so nice and thin though you can carry a fullsize without issue

I like the Sig P220 the best. It's thinner profile is definitely easier to carry. However, it is expensive....about $850 right now. I can tell you the takedown for the P220 is by far the easiest.

You can get plenty of used P220s for under $700, and sometimes under 600 if you look hard enough. :)

-Mike

I prefer my 1911's used. The new ones are just too tight. The used ones are so smooth, not to mention cheaper because you're not paying new-prices.
I kind of wish I didn't sell my 5" stainless S&W. That was the smoothest one I've had.
Oh well I still have 2 others.

I actually prefer my stainless 5" over the scandium frame. I like the weight of the full frame, steel frame.

I'm a Glock guy, hence the avatar, but I've shot all three of the guns you're talking about and they all had their strong points.

Other than what's already been said, I'd just like to point out something about what you said above. I've noticed personally that a 3rd gen G20/G21 size frame and the SF models of each feel vastly different in my hands. I have very big hands, but I don't like the non-SF .45 and 10mm Glock frames. They feel much too fat and bulky in my hands.

Something to keep in mind, that the 21SF you shot is probably going to feel different than the 21 you want to buy.

As a side note, has anyone else noticed that the only SF Glock not on the EOPS roster is the 21SF? I'd get upset over how illogical it is but it'd probably make me feel ill.

I prefer my 1911's used. The new ones are just too tight. The used ones are so smooth, not to mention cheaper because you're not paying new-prices.
I kind of wish I didn't sell my 5" stainless S&W. That was the smoothest one I've had.
Oh well I still have 2 others.

I actually prefer my stainless 5" over the scandium frame. I like the weight of the full frame, steel frame.

i agree, i have a s&w 1911pd and i like it but there is nothing like a 5'' 1911 like john moses browning intended.

I'm not sure what the Glocks are going for new but in this price range, most 1911's and a new Sig 220 are a bit above this figure. Here in Mass, I don't know if you can get a new G21. What will you be using this .45 for? I've owned 1911's and a couple 220s. In my personal experience, the 220 is more reliable as far as functional issues. Both my brand new 1911's had falure to feed issues and it was very discouraging. My dad bought a new S&W 1911 stainless and has only had a couple falure to feed malfunctions but that may have just been due to the break in period.

For target only, it's hard to beat the single action trigger of a good 1911. For defensive use, the Glock or Sig may be a better choice. I am biased toward the Sig 220. It is slim and fits my hand just right. I've shot it alot in IDPA CDP division with excellent results and sometimes carry it as my CCW gun.

I would try to shoot it (range rental or friends gun) before buying it if you can with whichever gun you choose. Best of luck.

im going to throw my 2 cents worth in. i would humbley suggest you take a look at the ruger p345. i have one. got it brand new for under 500 dollars last sept. out of the box it shot better than i did (at least until the following week when my new glasses came in). i have put new ammo and reloads (lead), hardball, hollow points and have not had one failure to feed or any other problems with it. as of right now i have only put about 500 rounds through it but none the less it has had zero problems as of yet.

I think that the 1911 is the best .45 on the market. It and its clones have dominated the action shooting sports for years for good reason. I have owned the Glock and the S&W M&P and vastly prefer the M&P. Better grip, trigger (once you replace the MA trigger spring), and sights. S&W's locking blocks (steel in the polymer frame) are much stouter than the Glock and yield a much more solid lock-up. The accuracy of my M&P 45 is so good I won't give any results, lest I be accused of BS.

Must say, I love my Smith & Wession 1911 commander model in scandium
Feels right in my hand, and shoots great groupings. Quality fit/finish seems pretty good for it''s price.
Bought it from Zero Hour Arms, a really nice gun store in Easton MA

ace57

I have this same gun. Freakin love it. Definately my favorite. Not finicky at all. Its light, slim and just is an all around great performing 1911-style firearm.

I'm not sure what the Glocks are going for new but in this price range, most 1911's and a new Sig 220 are a bit above this figure. Here in Mass, I don't know if you can get a new G21. What will you be using this .45 for? I've owned 1911's and a couple 220s. In my personal experience, the 220 is more reliable as far as functional issues. Both my brand new 1911's had falure to feed issues and it was very discouraging. My dad bought a new S&W 1911 stainless and has only had a couple falure to feed malfunctions but that may have just been due to the break in period.

For target only, it's hard to beat the single action trigger of a good 1911. For defensive use, the Glock or Sig may be a better choice. I am biased toward the Sig 220. It is slim and fits my hand just right. I've shot it alot in IDPA CDP division with excellent results and sometimes carry it as my CCW gun.

I would try to shoot it (range rental or friends gun) before buying it if you can with whichever gun you choose. Best of luck.

The .45 would primarily be used for range purpose. Mainly I just want to add a nice .45 to my collection. If it is reliable enough to carry, I might carry it every now and then. If I really like it maybe I will carry it even more. As it stands right now though I have other pocketsize and compact size handguns that are more suited to carry than a big .45.

im going to throw my 2 cents worth in. i would humbley suggest you take a look at the ruger p345. i have one. got it brand new for under 500 dollars last sept. out of the box it shot better than i did (at least until the following week when my new glasses came in). i have put new ammo and reloads (lead), hardball, hollow points and have not had one failure to feed or any other problems with it. as of right now i have only put about 500 rounds through it but none the less it has had zero problems as of yet.

Funny you mention the P345. My best friend has this gun and I shot it the last time I went to the range with him. It was probably about a year and a half ago. He ended up buying the 2-tone model from north shore firearms in middleton. Overall for a budget .45 it was nice, fairly light if I recall, it also has a rail for accessories if need be. I think we put 100-200 rounds through it that day without a problem and it was brand new out of the box. There is something about it though that I'm not sold on. Maybe it is because its actually approved for sale in MA and anything for sale in MA must suck unless you have to put some money into it.[laugh]

Overall I do like the look of the gun except the flip safety could have been a little nicer. If i could find one for the right price it would really fit what I am looking to do with it just fine. I forget what my friend paid. I have always been more of a glock/sig fan. I do like my ruger LCP though. No complaints there

They don't come with night sights from the factory which is a minus and they don't seem to be that many if any aftermarket night sights for this gun which kinda sucks. I would want it to have NS or the ability to add them.

Meprolight is the only option I have found so far. $77 isn't to bad.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/meprolight-handgun-night-s-eadbac.html

Last edited:
To the OP, I would personally suggest that you stay away from the Ruger line of guns. They seem like they're good enough quality, but good old Bill Ruger stabbed us all in the back WRT the 94 AWB. He's not getting any of my money, but YMMV.

Here in Mass, I don't know if you can get a new G21.

Like most other products, if you have the time and the money you can get just about any non-compliant handgun in Mass. The good thing about most Glocks is that they're on the EOPS roster, so a lot of them appear on the secondhand market if a cop buys it and sells it later on. I've found that the trick to finding a gun like that in Mass. is to watch the local want ads and the Classifieds here like a hawk for what you want, with cash in hand, and then pounce as soon as you see one. It's not like a free state where you can just walk into a store and buy one, but they do pop up from time to time.

But logic still applies; if you want something exceptionally rare to the US market in general like a Vektor CP1 or a Glock 25 /28, the odds of finding one shrink to nearly impossible in a state like Mass. It does happen from time to time though.

I have owned the Glock and the S&W M&P and vastly prefer the M&P. Better grip, trigger (once you replace the MA trigger spring), and sights. S&W's locking blocks (steel in the polymer frame) are much stouter than the Glock and yield a much more solid lock-up. The accuracy of my M&P 45 is so good I won't give any results, lest I be accused of BS.

Underwhere pulled his M&P apart in post #7 of this thread, and he didn't think it was that sturdy. I've never owned an M&P though.

To the OP, I would personally suggest that you stay away from the Ruger line of guns. They seem like they're good enough quality, but good old Bill Ruger stabbed us all in the back WRT the 94 AWB. He's not getting any of my money, but YMMV.

He's -dead- too (Bill Ruger Sr, the man that uttered that quote) so he's really not getting any of your money. [laugh] The Ruger of AWB fame is no longer. They even sell normal capacity Mini-14 mags now.

-Mike

I just sold my P345 and bought a Citadell 1911. For some reason I just couldn't shoot the P345 well. I know it was just me since everyone else that shoots one loves them. I have small hands so that could have something to do with it. On the first range trip with the 1911 I was very happy. Super accurate and you can't beat the price.

Back
Top Bottom