The Price Gouging/Everything Shortage Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if you do the "right" thing and sell your ammo or AR to someone at a below market price how do you know they won't turn around and sell it and reap the profits?

I don't. Again I'm not proposing something be done, it's merely an opinion and an observation. It's more of an ethical and moral thing to me. Personally I don't sell anything firearm related once I've acquired it, but that's just me.

- sent from forum runner using chisel and slate

I doubt it. That being said , I really need to invest in some reloading equipment. It's like a slot machine, except I'd win every pull on the crank [rofl]

Don't doubt it too much. States like CT and CA are already calling for ammo licenses and no interweb sales. MA will follow, and I'm certain that the Whitehouse and some nutjobs in congress want to see this.

Actually, this might be something that obama can use an EO to enact because it has to do with the sale of ammo.

Don't doubt it too much. States like CT and CA are already calling for ammo licenses and no interweb sales. MA will follow, and I'm certain that the Whitehouse and some nutjobs in congress want to see this.

Actually, this might be something that obama can use an EO to enact because it has to do with the sale of ammo.

I doubt the courts or Congress would permit Obama to regulate interstate commerce through an EO. Congress will step in and say that's their job to screw those things up.

$200 in 1932 is worth about $3300 today. The whole point of the tax stamp was to make the guns so expensive only the rich could afford to buy a full auto. Now with the prices the way they are only those with even more money could afford a full auto. Plus it would kill any hope of anyone buying a suppressor or SBR except for the rich.

I'd be willing to trade an increase on the making tax for full auto for a repeal of 922(o) (closing of the registry). Keep the transfer tax at $200 and make the manufacturing tax $2000. In my ideal world, we'd go back to mail ordering them with no government involvement, but that's far beyond today's political reality. If recent events don't fundamentally change things, I think making suppressors non-NFA is achievable in the next decade or so.

I guess the most alarming thing to me right. Now is the price of ammo. The other parts, minus lowers and mags should there be a ban, will return to normal, but I have this erie feeling in my gut ammo is going to hover around $800 a thousand. That's what scares me the most. Let's face it for a lot of people that would make shooting too cost prohibitive.

- sent from forum runner using chisel and slate

If you want to have future ability to shoot in volume, reloading is a great thing. There are issues with availability on primers and powder, but they're not as bad as complete ammo. You can always cast your own bullets, and pistol brass lasts a *long* time.

A post from Brownells:

To shed some more light on the magazine situation at present, it really has been unprecedented in the last 5 days. During a roughly the 36 hour period from Sunday afternoon to Monday evening we sold the “average demand” equivalent of about 3 1/2 years worth of PMAGS, and and an even greater amount of our Brownells magazines.

I'm amazed that they had that much inventory.

Does anyone here own a plastic injection business?

Im sure we can figure out how to make an O-Mag.... Q-Mag? Someone come up with a good name and lets make some money.

Every time I see the word " Tin Foil " I say to myself, yup here is another person who cannot think for him or Herself. The Brainwashing Article was spot on. How can anything ever be question for its invalidity if we have folks running around claiming " Tin Foil ". Was it " Tin Foil " when we all Spoke of Obamacare Law passing in this Country? I recall indeed it was. Free you're mind, its about the only " FREE " thing you have left.

Oops ( Free minds ) " TIN FOIL " Shame of it all is, when the " Tin Foil " rolls out and then said question is validated as ( Real ) no one ever chimes back in and says " Wow he /she was right. Funny how that happens.

You got that backwards... we're free thinkers... we don't let Alex Jones do our thinking for us.

Shitty, dramatic, almost tabloid like reporting doesn't mean there's some conspiracy to brain wash us. It means our fellow americans are stupid and would have the news delivered via cartoon if it was real-time enough. That's what sells.

Do all the facts initially reported vs the story now line up? does the story even make sense? no. That means we have two possible scenarios: Shit reporting or a cover up/falseflag. Acknowledging there's a 50% chance of the latter, any source at this point publishing pure speculation as "alternative news" is garbage.

Who's not thinking for themselves now?

I'm going dark on this issue moving forward. Anyone asks me about firearms I'm going to reply saying "gee, I really don't know all that much about the issue and I don't really have an opinion."

It's sickening how "they" are attempting to use this crime to punish law abiding citizens. Here's an idea: let's ban vehicles that can travel faster than 65mph in this state. Nobody needs to go faster than that. It's for the children.

Woops ! Fired of the reply by accident unfinnished.
I went to my local gun shop yesterday just to see what was going on and with no intention of buying anything. On the way in a guy offers to sell me his NIB Bushmaster at a good price so I bought it. Now we're going into the shop to do the transfer and while we're in the shop 3 guys start a bidding war on the rifle that isn't even transfered to me yet. I had no intentions of the selling the rifle but that didn't seem to matter. That type of panic is a little over the top.

Guys, it's called "capitalism" (on old, out-of-date notion whereby private property is exchanged with mutual consent and benefit without the interference of others). If a guy wants $5000 for a stag and some other guy wants to pay him why should I care one way or the other? If somebody wants to offer an item for a some price I don't want to pay, why should I be upset about it? So we have some items in the classifieds for more than you might have seen a week or two ago. How does that offer to sell hurt anyone? And if someone pays that price, aren't they obviously better off (or are we now going to make judgments on behalf of others)?

It's a never-ending task around here trying to make the simple point that freedom is a good thing. Having options is always better than the alternative. That is why a private offer to sell at any price improves the quality of the market. At worst nobody buys. At best, a trade is made to the satisfaction of both parties. What we have now is a market that is not clearing. Obviously there are people who want to buy guns and the like, but supply is not meeting the demand. It might if the day ladies would shut-up about "gouging" and prices that are "too high".

And for the third or fourth time, everybody here who is absolutely convinced that prices are "too high" should be selling their guns, mags and ammo. After all, what else could a "too high" price mean if not that you think the money is worth more than the goods?

To be clear, I have no idea whether it makes sense to buy gun related stuff at today's prices, and that's my point. Nobody else here knows either -- on the off chance they do, they should put their money (or goods) where their mouth is.

In 08, I bought a bunch of lowers. Either 10 or 12. I got them before prices went up. But then the high prices brought new manufacturers into the market and the prices went lower than they'd been since the mid 90s. ($69 for a Spikes with a minor blem)

People asked me if I was pissed, having paid $100ish for mine. Many didn't understand when I said NO.
I purchased them as a HEDGE. I didn't purchase them for speculative reasons. Thats why in 09, I didn't sell for $200 ish.

Its the same idea that at the end of the year, you don't say regret your house having not burned down. Damn. I paid for a whole year's of homeowners insurance for nothing.

The other thing is that high prices bring out reluctant sellers. I've got a lifetime supply of P-Mags. I'm not interested in selling them for $20. But for $50, I might roll the dice. Does that make me bad? Same thing for a $79 Aeroprecision lower that is going for $300 now.

In 08, I bought a bunch of lowers. Either 10 or 12. I got them before prices went up. But then the high prices brought new manufacturers into the market and the prices went lower than they'd been since the mid 90s. ($69 for a Spikes with a minor blem)

People asked me if I was pissed, having paid $100ish for mine. Many didn't understand when I said NO.
I purchased them as a HEDGE. I didn't purchase them for speculative reasons. Thats why in 09, I didn't sell for $200 ish.

Its the same idea that at the end of the year, you don't say regret your house having not burned down. Damn. I paid for a whole year's of homeowners insurance for nothing.

The other thing is that high prices bring out reluctant sellers. I've got a lifetime supply of P-Mags. I'm not interested in selling them for $20. But for $50, I might roll the dice. Does that make me bad? Same thing for a $79 Aeroprecision lower that is going for $300 now.

My parents are praying someone burns down their rental properties [laugh]. (they can't rent em and no buyers, so burning down is better than foreclosure).

Took a ride up to Skips gun shop in Bristol NH. I noticed that they had at least a handful of 1000 rd. cases of 7.62x39 (Tula) for $279.00 If anyone is interested.

I had planned on getting a WASR10 the week after xmas before all this crap went down. Probably S-O-L, now I get to wait in line and spend it on whatever's left in the case that goes bang. [laugh]

As many others are, I decided it was time to buy my AR. I went to A&J's In Housatonic, MA, cool shop with allot of guns. They completely renovated the shop from the last time I was there, really nice. One of my buddies just bought an AR there and told me they had a huge supply. They have limited hours so I emailed them ([email protected]) and they met me there at 9 PM, they met my buddy on a Sunday after he got out of work at 6. They have limited hours but seem to be willing to meet people there just about any time. Needless to say I am the PROUD new owner of an Armalite AR15, and I am really thinking about going back for an AR10. These guys easily had 70 AR's on the shelf and more coming out of the back room to refill the shelf. For a cozy little shop, it seems their resources are better than some of the big shops.. Check it out you'll be surprised, I have been there three times now and every time I go in there, I say WOW again... [smile]

Any chance you saw an M15-22 there?
Not sure the newb(me) is ready for the AR-15 yet.
Then again, if I wait, I may never ever be able to get one.

Been touring southern NH today. $400 to $425 for 1k of PMC 223 of which there's not much left. I passed. At the Common Man now and the two dicks at the bar won't stop talkin about all the things that should be banned. Soup of the day is brocoli. Worst NH ATF run ever! Going to liqour store next, wish me luck.

Been touring southern NH today. $400 to $425 for 1k of PMC 223 of which there's not much left. I passed. At the Common Man now and the two dicks at the bar won't stop talkin about all the things that should be banned. Soup of the day is brocoli. Worst NH ATF run ever! Going to liqour store next, wish me luck.

Lame, the Common Man is delicious too. People talk shit but who knows the way they'll back any kind of ban if one were to be instated. I am in dire need of both 223 + booze so I feel your pain. But the state liquor stores are always awesome and cheap as hell. You can check inventory on their website if you have a smartphone, good luck.

The owner of the Common Man has been leading an effort to get a range shut down over BS complaints. Screw them.

If they're scared of a plastic box with a spring, they're not men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom