The Liberty Training Rifle

Check out the "hornet" trigger assembly too. It's small $$ and has the mag release and bolt latch installed. I bought the custom B. I haven't measured it yet, but the trigger is definitely lighter/better than the factory one. Hell, they'll even buy your factory trigger group back from you ($30) making the purchase even cheaper.

http://www.hornetproducts.com/bin/category.asp?category=10

Last edited:
Before you go the dedicated upper route (and spend the $$$ for it), PM Martlet and get his opinion. He was shooting an AR with a .22 upper (not a conversion, IIRC). He's also building an LTR or 2.

I like the 10/22's because I can own a few for the same price as a dedicated .22 AR. [smile]
DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING! We have a winner here.

I like the LTR because I can have more than one... which means I can invite multiple friends to go shooting with me and teach all of them them at the same time. If Chris wants to do the same, he can't because he's only got the AR.

DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING! We have a winner here.

I like the LTR because I can have more than one... which means I can invite multiple friends to go shooting with me and teach all of them them at the same time. If Chris wants to do the same, he can't because he's only got the AR.

It's not really much cheaper to buy, then outfit, than a dedicated AR, if you already have a lower.

I'm currently building two LTR's, though. One because I think it will be easier for my wife to shoot than an AR, since she has zero long gun experience. Another because of the volume of rounds we were shooting, and the fact that they were all timed shoots, I started to get some failures to feed. If we shot at a slower pace, this wouldn't be a big deal because I could always re-mag the round. I often didn't have time during the AQT.

I haven't shot the LTR yet, so I'm not in a position to judge. My rifles have been purchased (Thanks Carl), but my parts won't be in until next week. IF I head to VT this weekend, perhaps Nickle will let me try one of his LTRs. After putting some rounds through it, I'll give some feedback.

That being said, I really enjoyed shooting the AR and dedicated upper.

OK, maybe the .22 AR isn't a great choice for everyone...

I'm looking at it from the point where I've already paid for a complete lower and a mostly stripped upper and to complete a dedicated .22 is going to be about $450.

If I were to build a 10/22 LTR, it would be less than that, but I'd still have this 60% AR that I'd want to complete. (^_^)

Heck, Martlet, come back to Harvard this weekend and I'll let you try one of mine out! I even have some AQTs if you want to try and get that elusive 210...

Heck, Martlet, come back to Harvard this weekend and I'll let you try one of mine out! I even have some AQTs if you want to try and get that elusive 210...

I'm going to try my best to hit every Appleseed until I do. I was pretty ticked off when I left. I had several rounds that very well may have been 210+ if I'd gotten all my rounds off, but I didn't due to malfunctions.

You could probably tell I was less than pleased as I drove home. I think I worked out the kinks in that rifle. I just need to get the mags and front sight post fixed.

I'm going to try my best to hit every Appleseed until I do. I was pretty ticked off when I left. I had several rounds that very well may have been 210+ if I'd gotten all my rounds off, but I didn't due to malfunctions.
Oh, I hear you there, Brother!! I had a target that would have broken 210 easy until takedown screw in my LTR loosened up at the end of the 200 yard stage. (fortunately, I've found a cure for that on rimfirecentral.com...) The groups were nice and tight... just about 2.5" low with a loose action. [rolleyes]

Martlet's got it. Look in the screw hole with a flashlight. If you see marks on the bluing of the barrel in the bottom of the hole, hit the end of the screw with a file and take it down a little.

Last edited:
Well, I just called Tech-Sights and asked about a group buy. I should have an answer by late next week if they'll do it for us and what kind of pricing we can get.
Ross, would it be easier for you if we jumped in on the group buy they're trying to get going on the Project Appleseed forum?

If you're all members over on www.appleseedinfo.org, then yes. However, since I know it takes time to get vetted to join it, I thought I'd start a group buy here.

Hey, it couldn't hurt to ask them - the worst they can do is say no. I figured it was worth a shot.

If you're all members over on www.appleseedinfo.org, then yes. However, since I know it takes time to get vetted to join it, I thought I'd start a group buy here.

Hey, it couldn't hurt to ask them - the worst they can do is say no. I figured it was worth a shot.
OK. I didn't know that you had to be a member. If you're going to set up a buy, I'll be in for 1 set.

I ordered a bunch of the recommended stuff from Midway last night. The Volquartsen bolt release and hammer are back ordered.

OK. I didn't know that you had to be a member. If you're going to set up a buy, I'll be in for 1 set.

I ordered a bunch of the recommended stuff from Midway last night. The Volquartsen bolt release and hammer are back ordered.

Yeah. I just ordered the release, not the hammer.

I believe that you have to be a registered member to post or send a PM, which is the only way to get in on the buy. I don't think you have to be paid member of the RWVA to get in on the group buy, though.

Yeah. I just ordered the release, not the hammer.
I was thinking of stoning the original hammer but I figured a drop in would be easier. Midway says the pack is due in on the 28th.

I believe that you have to be a registered member to post or send a PM, which is the only way to get in on the buy. I don't think you have to be paid member of the RWVA to get in on the group buy, though.
OK, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that one had to be a paid member of the RWVA. I've been a registered member of the forum. Zero post count though. Just lots of reading[wink]

BTW Ross, I'm leaving the Liberty 10/22 alone for now. I grabbed a carbine at Dick's yesterday. They still had the carbines with metal barrel bands and trigger groups. I figured it was a good idea to grab one while they were still available.

I grabbed a carbine at Dick's yesterday. They still had the carbines with metal barrel bands and trigger groups. I figured it was a good idea to grab one while they were still available.
What's the barrel length of the one selling at Dicks now?

Midway's ETAs on LTR parts have been full of crap lately.
Really? I haven't had any problems - got everything when they said I would. Maybe I just got lucky.

Anyway, I think that they may have been caught a bit by surprise on the LTR stuff - I know when I ordered my slings, swivels, mags and mag release two weeks ago that they sure knew why they were getting all the orders for this stuff. Hopefully, they'll be stocking more stuff now that they know of the increased demand.

Really? I haven't had any problems - got everything when they said I would. Maybe I just got lucky.

I ordered all the parts for my LTR on 23 Feb. Based on the dates on the back-ordered stuff, everything was supposed to be in by mid march. Every time one of the dates approached, it was pushed back. I ended up with a few parts that showed as available on the main site still listed as backordered with a future date in my account. The week before the Harvard Appleseed, I canceled my back order and ordered the sling and swivel studs, which finally came in in early April. They've been out of stock on the bolt release + hammer pack since at least mid February.

Ahh... there's the difference. I had Nickle stone the hammer on three of my LTRs and just did the last one last night, and I did the auto bolt release by modifying the factory one on my last LTR with a Dremel as well.

What is the cost at Dicks?
$189 plus tax. I had a $10 off "Coaches Coupon" but they refused it even though it didn't have an ammo or firearm restriction. I sent corporate an email expressing my dissatisfaction. We'' see what that have to say.
I ordered all the parts for my LTR on 23 Feb. Based on the dates on the back-ordered stuff, everything was supposed to be in by mid march. Every time one of the dates approached, it was pushed back. I ended up with a few parts that showed as available on the main site still listed as backordered with a future date in my account. The week before the Harvard Appleseed, I canceled my back order and ordered the sling and swivel studs, which finally came in in early April. They've been out of stock on the bolt release + hammer pack since at least mid February.
Damn[thinking]

Midway's ETAs on LTR parts have been full of crap lately.

Just checked the status of my back order. The Volquartsen Bolt Release and Hammer Pack has been pushed back to 05/22 delivery date[thinking]

I think I'll hog out the hole on the stock bolt release with my Dremel and get the hammer kit alone. Or maybe I won't even bother with the hammer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom