The Liberty Training Rifle

Originally Posted by dwarven1
If you're all members over on www.appleseedinfo.org, then yes. However, since I know it takes time to get vetted to join it, I thought I'd start a group buy here.

Originally Posted by Cross-X
Membership is $175/year????

I believe that's if you live near the home range. It includes shooting privileges at the range. Regular membership is $20 per year.

That's RWVA membership. Costs nothing in $$$ to join the Appleseedinfo forum, but approval sometimes takes a couple of days. The guy that does approvals has a LOT on his plate there (AMHIK), and sometimes is off doing Appleseeds (like the past 2 weekends, with an Instructor Course in between).

What we do ask is for you to work with RWVA in some manner. Instructor, helper, finding us ranges to hold Appleseeds at, even just promoting the program in your area.

PM me here if you're planning on joining there, and let me know the user name and e-mail you're registering with. That makes my job MUCH easier.

Swivel Studs

Everything but my back ordered stuff came yesterday.
How far up from the butt and back from the barrel band should I install the studs? And what's the best way to determine the centerline of the stock since it's shaped?

Last edited:
About 2 -2.5" from the butt, and either right behind or right where the barrel band used to be - lose the barrel band as it's not unknown for it to put pressure on the barrel when you're slung up tight.

Anybody need some extra Ruger 10/22 barrel bands? None of my rifles have them on any more.

Thanks guys. I ended up with the front swivel a half inch behind the barrel band.
I modified the bolt stop and installed the extended mag release.
I ordered the TSR200 sights today. Once they come, alls that I need are a few extra mags and an Appleseed.
Still contemplating the hammer. I don't feel comfortable messing with the stock one after looking at the mod on Rimfire Central.

Still contemplating the hammer. I don't feel comfortable messing with the stock one after looking at the mod on Rimfire Central.

I bought one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=269423&t=11082005

Clark Custom Deluxe Drop-In Trigger Kit Ruger 10/22 Long Rifle

This drop-in kit offers an improved trigger pull with no creep. Trigger is adjustable for overtravel. Includes a hammer, trigger, sear and disconnector.

This made a HUGE difference of the notchy/creepy stock trigger that was in my rifle.

I ordered the TSR200 sights today.

Jon, why did you order the 200? Do you have the 22" Walmart special 10/22?

I'd gotten the 200 on my first LTR and wound up having to crank the front post waaaay up to sight it in. I've got the TSR100 on my next two builds, and it works just fine.

Jon, why did you order the 200? Do you have the 22" Walmart special 10/22?

I'd gotten the 200 on my first LTR and wound up having to crank the front post waaaay up to sight it in. I've got the TSR100 on my next two builds, and it works just fine.
No, I have the carbine. I didn't know there was an "issue" using the TSR200 with the carbine.
If it's that bad, I'll just get a taller front post.

It's just that it's an extra $10 that you don't need to spend - you really get no advantage with the rear sight being adjustable, too. You might want to call Tech-Sights and see if it's too late to change your order.

It's just that it's an extra $10 that you don't need to spend - you really get no advantage with the rear sight being adjustable, too. You might want to call Tech-Sights and see if it's too late to change your order.

I called and left a message to change the order if not too late. We'll see if I get a call back.

It wasn't until Ross mentioned this and I did a Google search and found quite a few hits on different gun boards. I checked the Appleseed info site and found one mention of it.

Roger, maybe you can get a line or two in on the 'Okay, I've got my 10/22... now what?' Official Liberty Training Rifle F.A.Q explaining the differences and problems encountered if used with the carbine.

Jon, the concept of the LTR is based on the carbine primarily.

I think that using the TSR100 instead of the TSR200 has been covered.

And, there should be a link to the Project Appleseed forum thread on the LTR, and it's all covered there and then some.

Ok, so I just got caught by the same thing. I am now the owner of a TSR200 for my 10/22 carbine.

The taller AR-15 front sight posts that I have found are only 0.030 inches taller -- is that enough difference?

dwarven; this is slightly off topic but do you recommend 10 round or 20 round mags if using an AR style rifle for appleseed? I'm getting ready to buy and I want to get what will work since I plan on going to some of these. [grin]

dwarven; this is slightly off topic but do you recommend 10 round or 20 round mags if using an AR style rifle for appleseed? I'm getting ready to buy and I want to get what will work since I plan on going to some of these. [grin]

Either would be fine. Some will say 10 round to force mag changes. Others say 20 round will give you an advantage. It will, too, if you can count. Bear in mind that you'll be transitioning positions with a loaded rifle, though. One would think that this would not be a problem, but I've been to two Appleseeds and seen a negligent discharge at each one. Therefore, if you ask me, I'd say 10 round mags for safety's sake. Also, if you can't count (like me) you can always start at the far end of the target line and work back if you lose count. When you run out of ammo, you know you've finished the proper round count. Not so with a 20 round magazine.

All that being said, if you prefer shooting 20 round magazines, it doesn't make much sense to by 10 round mags strictly for Appleseed, unless you have the extra money to blow.

I think I'll go with 20 rounders, I can always load them up 10 at a time for the training/safety aspects. I was more concerned with them possibly getting in the way in the prone position, which i'm sure 30 rnd mags would. Thanks for the info,

Tom

I think I'll go with 20 rounders, I can always load them up 10 at a time for the training/safety aspects. I was more concerned with them possibly getting in the way in the prone position, which i'm sure 30 rnd mags would. Thanks for the info,

Tom

No problem. I used extended holds on my 10/22 mags. They were definitely there, but not horribly in the way.

Tom

A good choice for training, but make sure to also use what you would use in a defensive situation as well, even if you don't fully fill it.

30's for Standing and Sitting work fine if you want to get some use in.

I ended up using 2 of each. That way I didn't have to count more than shots per target and if I lost count, I could go to the end end and count back. Also, my transitions were empty which is safer. Finally, I get in several mag changes.

Last edited:
The 20's are the best all around... thanks to Chris I was able to shoot the last half of the appleseed with a few of his.

The 30's dig into your arms if you're using proper support arm position in prone. The bruise that I got from using my 30's at the first day of the Harvard Appleseed is still fading.

As far as safety during transitions, I would take my finger off the trigger, click my rifle to safe, make the transition, then click my safety off. I figured that was the safest way to do it without making 3.42x10^123 mag changes.

I took one of my 10/22s to the range this morning. It's the carbine I got from Dick's a couple of weeks ago. I had added the sling swivels, GI sling and did the bolt stop mod when I got it.
Today, I went through half a box of Wal-Mart Federal Value Pack ammo with not one single failure. I've never shot a 10/22 before, sure was fun. I used some of the 2 page "Redcoat" targets/handouts from Project Appleseed.
When I got home from the range, my TSR100s were in the mailbox. I put them on as soon as I got in the door. I can't wait to try them out.

BTW: I made up 15 copies of the Redcoat targets/handouts and left them on the table in the range house.

How'd you do?

Good job leaving the copies. [smile]
Eh...So-so. The stock sights were off. I was high and to the right at 25 yards. I forgot to bring my range bag with tools so I fudge it and did pretty good on the 100yd target. The real test will be when I take it back out with the new Tech-Sights that I put on[wink]

As for the handouts, a little seeding never hurt[smile] If I get back to the range next week, I'll bring more hoping that all I brought today are gone.

So I got the Tech-Sights on and used Locktite on the screw. I took the rifle out today and after 40 rounds I found the front sight screw loose.
When I first installed the front sight, it needed a little tap to get it into the dovetail but once past that point, the sight is loose in the dovetail.
Is there something I can do to tighten the fit?
As for the screw, I guess I need more Locktite? I cleaned the screw with denatured alcohol prior to the application of the Locktite.

Took my new Ruger 10/22 out for it's first test drive today. Nice little gun -- very accurate, and almost zero kick. The only issue is I was shooting to the left a little, and I can see I really need some good sights on it. Nice gun though...my first rifle, but I bet it won't be my last.

So I got the Tech-Sights on and used Locktite on the screw. I took the rifle out today and after 40 rounds I found the front sight screw loose.
When I first installed the front sight, it needed a little tap to get it into the dovetail but once past that point, the sight is loose in the dovetail.
Is there something I can do to tighten the fit?
As for the screw, I guess I need more Locktite? I cleaned the screw with denatured alcohol prior to the application of the Locktite.
Which way did you put the sight in, from the left or right? There's a definite way to do it. Also, what color LocTite did you use? Did you let it dry?

As for tightening it... maybe a small shim of very thin brass would do the trick. Or you could tap the dovetail down a bit to tighten it, but I wouldn't use a pointed centerpunch to do that... some bonehead did that to my IBM carbine and it's going back to the vendor for a replacement unit because of that.

Back
Top Bottom