the gun taboo

ok i think thats what the main problem with this country is, they see guns as evil and refuse to look at the other aspects, hunting, range shooting, competition, all the other stuff. i mean noone says oo those knives in the kitchen are evil, no they see it as something to cook with, same deal, guns are as dangerous if not more dangerous than guns. i mean we can try to educate people but you know the saying, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink.

ok i think thats what the main problem with this country is, they see guns as evil and refuse to look at the other aspects, hunting, range shooting, competition, all the other stuff. i mean noone says oo those knives in the kitchen are evil, no they see it as something to cook with, same deal, guns are as dangerous if not more dangerous than guns. i mean we can try to educate people but you know the saying, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink.

You can lead an ass to the truth, but you can't make him think.

Yes, they are vilifying inanimate objects, like it's "The One Ring" or something.

And I don't think it is the whole country. I personally like to believe that I am actually a part of this country and don't see them as something particularly evil.

Umm Worcester now thinks knives are evil [sad2]

ok i think thats what the main problem with this country is, they see guns as evil and refuse to look at the other aspects, hunting, range shooting, competition, all the other stuff.

No, I think the problem is the exact opposite. I think people look at guns and think that their only legitimate and lawful use is sport and hunting and range shooting. When in reality we know that guns are tools that can and do encompass all of those things, but the reason that we keep and bear them, and the reason that we have the constitutional right to do so is to defend life and liberty.

No, I think the problem is the exact opposite. I think people look at guns and think that their only legitimate and lawful use is sport and hunting and range shooting. When in reality we know that guns are tools that can and do encompass all of those things, but the reason that we keep and bear them, and the reason that we have the constitutional right to do so is to defend life and liberty.

+1 The RTKBA has nothing to do with sport or hunting there just off shoots from people owning guns. The real reason is that so we can fight the government and keep them in line. People should be able to own machines guns and all tools used by the military so we could successfully fight back.

My current GF is (and 90% of my ex's are) not too thrilled I carry (and have more then a few guns), She thinks that makes me more prone to violence... She even said, after we broke up once, "is this the point you kill me"? WTF?

I told her, I could beat her, stab her or what and that if I wanted to kill, the gun was not necessarily what I’d use… But she still did not get it…

The irony is that because I carry a gun, I'm more likely to run away or avoid situations that could cause and issue... I had one guy pull out a baseball bat after HE cut me off (I honked and gave a WTF look) and we ended up in the same parking lot. I just drove off... But if I did not have a gun, I might have gone over and beat his @$$ with it...

I did almost have to shoot once, but luckily he backed down short of the point of no return (and he never saw the gun).

Guns do kill, no doubt about it. But they are also fun, challenging and a great hobby...

Now, back to the knife point (no pun intended)…

My ex wife freaked out when I let her try a 3.5” bladed switch blade (almost tossed it out of her hand), but has no issue with a 12” razor sharp carving knife.

And if I was a bad guy, I would buy a 12” $5 carving knife at Walmart to kill with vs. a $200 benchmade auto…

People are scared of what they don’t understand… And the media is at the heart of it.

In today's society many folks no longer perceive the need for such a right.

It's amusing because if you try to point out times in the recent history of civilized society when people needed to be armed you get called a looney or accused of making straw man arguments. If you try to talk about current events you get the "that would never happen here" response or the "if there were no guns that stuff wouldn't happen" response.

The best thing to do is to educate people on their need to hold onto their liberty above their comfort. Comfort is winning.

I disagree with your premise.

Most Americans don't think guns are bad. MANY Americans, notably urbanized ones, do.

Here in the NE, where people are packed in like sardines, 90% of the people never live more than 20 miles from the place they were raised and the antis have dominated the education system for generations what you're saying is probably true.

The same can't be said of the south, most of the Midwest or the Mountain West. Hell, even in California once you get out of the cities most people aren't antis.

Man continues to be feminized....

I love my beer, steak, football and guns

I have to agree with this... the feminization of America is almost complete!

Nowhere was this more apparent to me then on American Idol last night. My wife watches, and I was half paying attention to the random hot girl or train wreck contestant... because let's face it, they are funny.

What shocked me was that EVERY guy on the show cried when they made it in, or got cut. Reduced to tears on national tv over a stupid show. [crying]

Is it me, or that incredibly girly? The last time I cried, I'm pretty sure somebody very close to me had died.

I have to agree with this... the feminization of America is almost complete!

Nowhere was this more apparent to me then on American Idol last night. My wife watches, and I was half paying attention to the random hot girl or train wreck contestant... because let's face it, they are funny.

What shocked me was that EVERY guy on the show cried when they made it in, or got cut. Reduced to tears on national tv over a stupid show. [crying]

Is it me, or that incredibly girly? The last time I cried, I'm pretty sure somebody very close to me had died.

Yeah I watched it too and had the same thought. What a bunch of pansies. All except the oil rig roughneck. Yeah his voice was a little soft, but at least he didn't cry.

American Idol needs a George Thoroughgood type. You'd never see George cry or take any lip from Simon. [laugh]

I don't know, I haven't run into many people who subscribe to the whole guns-taboo thing. I think a lot of it has to do with how we respond to people. For example, many people in an attempt to defend their right to carry, etc- will do something "shocking" like responding with an equally witty/rude comment back to the person who questioned them/asked something stupid. This is not the way to handle the situation, the way to handle the situation is to validate that you have listened to what they have said and then explain why they should not be concerned.

For example, if I was carrying in a dentists office and the hygenist saw it/made a snide remark. I would respond with: I hear you and you would think we are all whack jobs since thats all you hear about on TV, but unlike those whack jobs you see on TV who commit crimes I am an expert shooter, well trained, and legal gun owner.

You would be suprised how many people change their view when they view you as an authority of some sort (which you are, since I feel in order to carry or own a firearms you SHOULD be an authority on how to handle/operate/safely store that firearm...it's called responisble ownership).

I kid you not, this approach REALLY has worked. Compared to "so what" or "its my right" or something more confrontational/shocking (yes, I know they are equally valid).

But remember- just because its right, if you can be right and leave the person with a positive feeling after meeting a "gun owner"; then you may just have influenced their view overall.

By the way, I'm not saying to be a pansy about this. What I am saying is that, if possible (and try/think hard to accomplish this); try to make what would be a negative experience of meeting a gun owner into a positive one.

I saw a pickup truck one day with a bear stretched across the hood and its entrailed dragging on the road along side. Stopped for a schoolbus that was picking up kids (who looked horrified out the windows). Is that really the impression of "hunter" we want our kids to see? (this was in VA). Same idea- show others what you want their perception of you to be.

Back
Top Bottom