THE GREAT NES 2016 CMP M1 CARBINE ORDER

I doubt that they will send "no" to anyone unless they mailed a check as payment.

When they cancelled my Aquila .22SV order after 2.5 years, I only learned about it from reading the CMP forum.

They didn't cancell your ammo order they just finally gave up on aquila to fill their order. So unless you actually cancelled your ammo order when they finally get some 22 in they will call you to see if you want what they got.

They didn't cancell your ammo order they just finally gave up on aquila to fill their order. So unless you actually cancelled your ammo order when they finally get some 22 in they will call you to see if you want what they got.

I'm sure that I'll still need it in the next decade when some might become available again thru CMP. [wink]

I'm sure that I'll still need it in the next decade when some might become available again thru CMP. [wink]

Yeah they called me while back offered me some Remington I declined and noted I want my order to stand and call me When you get some decent ammo. One of ourclub members went down for the maintenance seminar/build your own AR last year. He claims the rep from eley was there ? So maybe if a contract could be had it will ease things up.
So many people shooting 22lr these days. Reminds me of my youth. Although my dad was good at always having more than we shoot on hand. I still have a few thousand rounds left of the last 50k he bought. Russian stuff JUNOIR or someshit. Not bad in the bolt guns iffy in the 10/22 and model 60 But the 552 ran on it.

Yeah they called me while back offered me some Remington I declined and noted I want my order to stand and call me When you get some decent ammo. One of ourclub members went down for the maintenance seminar/build your own AR last year. He claims the rep from eley was there ? So maybe if a contract could be had it will ease things up.
So many people shooting 22lr these days. Reminds me of my youth. Although my dad was good at always having more than we shoot on hand. I still have a few thousand rounds left of the last 50k he bought. Russian stuff JUNOIR or someshit. Not bad in the bolt guns iffy in the 10/22 and model 60 But the 552 ran on it.

I fear what the cost of Eley would be!

For the record, when I shot bullseye back in the 1970s, all I bought and shot was Rem green label (100 rd yellow plastic slide top boxes) and it ran great. Don't recall bad primers or any other problems with the stuff and I used to buy it by the case for ~$125/5K. I still have some kicking around here and it is still good to go.

I can't speak for Rem green label today, as QC has been way off on many brands of ammo being sold these days. In Rick's NRA BP/HFS Instructor class this weekend we had 5 LEOs that identified themselves as such and a few of them reported the expensive supposedly high quality carry CF ammo that their PDs use also had problems . . . one reported a squib with no powder in the case!

I will speak for Rem Thunderbolts . . . AVOID AT ALL COSTS!! Never saw or used such crap in my 40 years of shooting!! Jammed up a handgun worse than your worst nightmare.

I fear what the cost of Eley would be!

For the record, when I shot bullseye back in the 1970s, all I bought and shot was Rem green label (100 rd yellow plastic slide top boxes) and it ran great. Don't recall bad primers or any other problems with the stuff and I used to buy it by the case for ~$125/5K. I still have some kicking around here and it is still good to go.

I can't speak for Rem green label today, as QC has been way off on many brands of ammo being sold these days. In Rick's NRA BP/HFS Instructor class this weekend we had 5 LEOs that identified themselves as such and a few of them reported the expensive supposedly high quality carry CF ammo that their PDs use also had problems . . . one reported a squib with no powder in the case!

I will speak for Rem Thunderbolts . . . AVOID AT ALL COSTS!! Never saw or used such crap in my 40 years of shooting!! Jammed up a handgun worse than your worst nightmare.

this some eley offerings that are not terrible. they have their budget line which was not much more than the centerion match stuff CMP was selling few years back. eley target and eley club are not bad range around 7$ a box

Last edited:
My carbine has shipped from CMP -- serial # is 6137xxx, which I believe makes it an Underwood produced around March '44.

Whether that's good, bad or indifferent I don't know, because this is my first foray into the world of carbines.

So... there's still a chance?

If you had asked me Monday morning, I would have said there is no chance. But today, I know that my carbine arrives tomorrow. I suspect I wasn't the very last order processed and that they are still going.

Keep hope alive.

If you had asked me Monday morning, I would have said there is no chance. But today, I know that my carbine arrives tomorrow. I suspect I wasn't the very last order processed and that they are still going.

Keep hope alive.

maybe they are having computer problems. their system is old. Seen a gent posting they stopped shipping ammo to AK and HI because of some shipping computer slip generator breaking down? sounds silly though.

Looks like my carbine shipped today.

The following are the contents of this shipment:
Qty Item-No Item-Description
--------- --------------- ------------------------------
1 R017SERVICE M1 Carbine Service Grade
1 PC006FREE Case, CMP Hard Rifle Case
Free w/ Purchase of M1 Garand

This order never appeared in my cart on the estore CMP page.

Word from CMP forums from someone who talked to customer service is that the end of the orders is nearly upon us and that a mass 'sorry you lose' email will be going out before long to those who didn't make the cut. Someone got one with an armorer's tag dated 2/24/16 which seems to indicate they are into that second batch of 1000 from the Army.

Carbine arrived today. It's definitely a Field Grade! The wood is pretty rough, but the receiver and barrel are clean and no pits on the metal that I can see quickly without taking it apart. Muzzle 2+, throat 2+.

Receiver serial # is 6137xxx, which I thought made it an Underwood -- but the armorer's tag says Inland. So...?

Barrel is Inland, 5-43.

Now, time to acquire some mags and get it out to the range!

I got super excited today as i got a fedex notification that 1 box had shipped to me from the CMP. I hadnt gotten any sort of email prior, but the weight was 16lbs and i didnt have any other orders with them. I was on cloud 9, and then i got an email from CMP. It told me they shipped my 30 carbine ammo. Just great, ammo but no rifle. That was cruel of them.

My Iphone is wildly inadequate for pictures, sorry in advance. I require the assistance of the NES milsurp brain trust. I, apparently one of the lucky few here, recieved a 1943(ish?) Underwood with the flip style sight, non bayonet barrel band, matching serial number bolt, barrel, reciever, and a saginaw (I think) stock with the oval cut for the oiler. The problem? The damn barrel band wont lock into place so the upper hand guard (2 rivet) comes off constantly. I am extremely reluctant to... ehm... "modify" anything. It comes very close to latching in; but, no amount of yelling/swearing, or pushing/pulling can get it done. My knowledge base of the carbine is limited entirely to the interwebz forums and youtube videos, so I'm somewhat out of my element here. If anybody with experience wants to I would be willing to meet up at Harvard Sportsmen Club and let you shoot it for your assistance.

ETA: Picture now added to post number 185

Last edited:
I'm,shocked you got such a nice specimen from this batch. That would have been put on cmp auction and fetched more than 800$
What condition is the band spring in?

Pictures of the parts ?

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to either rebend the barrel band retainer clip or buy a new one. Unless you just can't get the barrel band all the way back, in which case you need to make sure the handguard is fully inserted into the front of the receiver.

Do not modify anything just to make it fit. Find the problem and correct it. There aren't many reasons it shouldn't fit. Is the rear tab of the upper handguard going in where it is supposed to? Is it loose and pushed back too far? Is there something stuck in the front of the receiver?

Got mine, got mine, got mine!

The UPS dude showed up with a long box this morning, and I saw the CMP sticker on the box and figured this was the consolation price (I ordered a Garand with my carbine order). Opened up the box and there she was, Underwood, Serial 1.35million range:
IMG_6384_sm.jpg
IMG_6385_sm.jpg
IMG_6387_sm.jpg
IMG_6390_sm.jpg

I don't even know how to strip it and check out the parts yet... But she's a beauty in nice shape and I'm pumped!

Attachments

• IMG_20160314_0904302_1280x720.jpg
    IMG_20160314_0904302_1280x720.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
The UPS dude showed up with a long box this morning, and I saw the CMP sticker on the box and figured this was the consolation price (I ordered a Garand with my carbine order). Opened up the box and there she was, Underwood, Serial 1.35million range:

View attachment 161403

I don't even know how to strip it and check out the parts yet... But she's a beauty in nice shape and I'm pumped!

Congrats! Another NES winner! Looks like real nice wood. Definitely upload a few more photos later. Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom