• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

THE GREAT NES 2016 CMP M1 CARBINE ORDER

Sling, oiler, stock pouch, and mags came in. Picked up some ammo on the way home from nh. Ready to hit the range this week.

Got to the range today and broke out the carbine. Only had enough light to put one box through it. Shot nice though. I can believe how much fun it is to shoot. Hopefully more rounds down range this weekend.

Warning; Photo Tsunami

Receiver; 1943 flip style rear sight without adjustments.
FullSizeRender.jpg
image1 (3).jpg
image3 (3).jpg
image4 (3).jpg

Barrel and 2 rivet hand guard, note the last four of serial number in the hand guard and "P.U." marking; I'm not sure if the markings are original to manufacture. Was this a common marking on m1 carbines? Barrel seems original. Underwood marked '43 +0, +2. Not sure if there is a marking on the barrel band.

image1 (2).jpg
image2 (3).jpg

Internals; Serial number on the slide is marked with matching last four numbers and "U" marked. "U" marked bolt. Not too sure about the condition of the spring. Seems good to me, ejects shell casings forward a bit.

image3 (2).jpg
image2 (2).jpg
image4 (2).jpg
image4.jpg

Last edited:
Part 2

Stock; High wood; marked with last four of serial number and "S.G". Not sure if original to the rifle or if the serial numbers were added later. I'm unfamiliar with how USGI wood was marked for carbines. The oval cut on the opposite side for the oiler has a large cut on the top.

image1.jpg
image3.jpg
image2.jpg

Trigger mechanism is only marked on the hammer (at least that is all I saw the other day). I have no idea if it is original to the rifle or what the origin of manufacture is. Hopefully one of you guys can tell me.

image2 (4).jpg

Now, the entire rifle with repro sling, oiler, and mag pouches. I have the non-adjustable rear sight, which I believe is unique to earlier models. No bayonet lug. I would have figured this style sight would have been replaced if the rifle was still in the US military supply chain when adjustable sights became common.

image5.jpg

If anyone can tell me anything about the rifle, it's parts, or would like additional photos of any particular area let me know. I love these mil-surp rifles and their history.

Also, a big thank you for the help earlier in the thread with the hand guard issues I had. There was a lot of build up on the stock and hand guard where the barrel band locked in place. Once the dirt and grime was removed it locked up tight (barely). Now I just need to learn how to take good care of the stock. I'm firmly from the plastic and metal age of firearms... only have this and my Garand in wood.

Last edited:
Nice score from the cmp.... I'm surprised that didn't make it to the cmp auction. It went through a re hah at some point. I think that one is early enough to have had the push button safety originally?

Even still fine example of earlier production.

Nice Underwood. It looks to be relatively complete, at least from what you showed us. I cant read the hammer stamp. It doesn't look like a U though. The stock is Saginaw and the recoil plate is Winchester.
Is anything stamped on the the top right side of the receiver and/or the bottom of the trigger group?

- - - Updated - - -

Nice Underwood. It looks to be relatively complete, at least from what you showed us. I cant read the hammer stamp. It doesn't look like a U though. The stock is Saginaw and the recoil plate is Winchester.
Is anything stamped on the the top right side of the receiver and/or the bottom of the trigger group? I can't see anything, Just wondering if it was a Bavarian return.

I suppose I need to show my Winchester. It's a typical mix-master. It has a Winchester barrel and that's about all the is Winchester. Ther trigger group is IBM as are the internals. I added it to the collection.

image_zpszqfatve5.jpeg

image_zpsqm6djakh.jpeg

Quality Hardware stock

image_zpsxh0vmhgk.jpeg

IBM trigger Housing
image_zpsarauywgz.jpeg

image_zpsyh5hwpea.jpeg

Last edited:
Stock; High wood; marked with last four of serial number and "S.G". Not sure if original to the rifle or if the serial numbers were added later. I'm unfamiliar with how USGI wood was marked for carbines. The oval cut on the opposite side for the oiler has a large cut on the top.

You actually got one with a flip sight? Inconceivable!

T

Tore up a couple of cantaloupes today. Son used a carbine I used the Garand. After 1 enbloc, there was nothing left to shoot at; chunks were flying 10 feet in all directions.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this is over? Have all rifles been shipped? Will CMP let the people who didn't get one know they are not going to? At this point I expect it's not going to happen
Thanks

You could check the CMP forum for the best info.

I doubt there are any more folks going to get lucky now and based on the non-notice when they cancelled my 2.5 yr old order for Aguila .22LR ammo (I had to read about it on the CMP forum), I doubt we'll ever hear anything directly.

You could check the CMP forum for the best info.

I doubt there are any more folks going to get lucky now and based on the non-notice when they cancelled my 2.5 yr old order for Aguila .22LR ammo (I had to read about it on the CMP forum), I doubt we'll ever hear anything directly.

Just a note on thw 22lr orders. They did not cancell the 22 orders tht whre placed CMP finally gave up waiting on Aquila to fill the back order. If you have a ammo order pending they will call you when they get ANY 22 and then you can opt out. I will keep my pending order. I still don't know where to get 20k rounds of all the same ammo in one shot... So I wait. I did get a offer last year on some Remington but it was more than I was willing to pay seeing I jumped on the 22lr rem military contract stuff they unloaded a few years ago

Just a note on thw 22lr orders. They did not cancell the 22 orders tht whre placed CMP finally gave up waiting on Aquila to fill the back order. If you have a ammo order pending they will call you when they get ANY 22 and then you can opt out. I will keep my pending order. I still don't know where to get 20k rounds of all the same ammo in one shot... So I wait. I did get a offer last year on some Remington but it was more than I was willing to pay seeing I jumped on the 22lr rem military contract stuff they unloaded a few years ago

I rarely go to that forum. I had no idea that they didn't cancel the orders, only what I read there. I was foolish and hesitated on the Rem ammo a few years ago, unsure how much SV I had left and have been kicking myself ever since then.

I rarely go to that forum. I had no idea that they didn't cancel the orders, only what I read there. I was foolish and hesitated on the Rem ammo a few years ago, unsure how much SV I had left and have been kicking myself ever since then.

I snagged a case when it was 104$ delivered. Then a few months later it jumped to .03 cents per round. They had something like 7500 cases and it sold out in about 2 days? I snuck in another case. It's pretty good stuff. Was very consistent over the crony... so far the Centerion Target has been the best I have had from the cmp.
?

Does anyone know if this is over? Have all rifles been shipped? Will CMP let the people who didn't get one know they are not going to? At this point I expect it's not going to happen
Thanks

ALERT

I just got an email from CMP at 11:44 today and my credit card was hit for $685, so I am getting a Carbine - so don't give up

I had totally forgotten about trying to get one and had given up, now I have to find the money again and sneak past the wife

I talked to one of the nice ladies there yesterday and she said they are indeed still processing orders and if you don't get picked you will get an email saying that. So either way you will hear something.

Received mine last week, it is one of the last Service Grades sent out, a Winchester, has new CMP wood but that is beautiful and it is hard to see the CMP cartouche

From what I heard the last SG's like mine and many of the FG's are new wood but the metal and the bore are great!

Received mine last week, it is one of the last Service Grades sent out, a Winchester, has new CMP wood but that is beautiful and it is hard to see the CMP cartouche

From what I heard the last SG's like mine and many of the FG's are new wood but the metal and the bore are great!

Where's your pictures and range report......

That's interesting and most likely will piss a few off as there is,no mention of them shipping them with new wood. That's fine by me. So maybe I will luck out and get a returned one!

Back
Top Bottom