Targets: What kind of targets do you use?

9'' paper plates. Cheap and easy. I find them easier to group with. I find it easier if i am not focusing on a bullseye.

I use 8" circles on printer paper. I buy them at Staples, then run them through my printer. I wish they were thicker when I shoot .45 (it rips bigger holes than it would otherwise) but I don't think I can beat the price.

When I remember, I print some different ones from targetz.com at work. The best price I can get.....Unless someone was paying me [grin]

Shoot-n-see for me now.
The are expensive but compared to ammo prices they are a good deal.
They help me to see where i'm hitting and in turn save ammo.

Depends.

If at the range, then Dirtybirds & paper plates.

If at the lot, then anything/everything. Sheet metal for slugs, beer bottles for 223 & pistol, small kitchen tiles for .22.

I bought some real cheap (read "bad") paintballs a while back. They come out of the paintball gun sometimes, and other times they destroy themselves in the barrel. So I found they make real good targets for the 22. They're 68mm, and you know it when you hit them. 2000 rounds for $35 bucks, good fun, even makes the pellet rifle more fun to shoot.

Take printer paper. Find CD or similarly sized round object. Trace object. Fill in circle with sharpie.

They're the cheapest targets I can make and work just fine.

I've seen others use golf balls, and have tried it a few times, but I worry about the ricochets.

Match heads and pennies.

Show off...[cheers]

I'm a sucker for Shoot-n-See and DirtyBird targets. Thankfully, I get them at a discount at DSG, so that helps. I especially like the new DirtyBird IDPA-style targets. Great for everything from 10-feet with my .38, to patterning home defense shotgun loads, to classic defensive pistol shooting, to longer range engagements with rifles, carbines etc...

Two or so years ago, and just recently again, I placed orders with http://www.letargets.com/ and just picked up a variety of stuff so I have perfect size for outdoor pistol, indoor pistol and outdoor rifle. I haven't had any issues with customer service or quality so I would recommend them.

My all time favorite is the simple Q:

q-67.jpg

They will blow around a little more, but you can get a bucket of ping pong balls for dirt cheap, they are roughly the same size, and are the same white hi-viz [grin]

Good idea!

I believe I also once saw a guy who'd drilled holes through the centers of golf balls and strung a wire or string through them up to the target holder. If you had a dozen of 'em you could probably make a game of it. But again, I have no idea if the ricochets would be a safety concern or not.

I usually use the NRA pistol targets that I pick up somewhere like Four Seasons. Sometimes I'll just grab some printer paper and put a dot in the middle with a sharpie (I like to have something there so I can aim at the same thing every shot).

But sometimes, for something different, I'll print out a few of these. I think they're good for the 50 yard rifle range, at least at my current skill level. I might try to find the actual full size print, but currently I just print out the page of 9 all on one sheet.

3703868937_041d2289eb_o.gif

Since I do a lot of Practical Shooting I use IPSC targets mostly. Freee at your local club after a match.

I have heard many people talk about printing targets via the computer. The problem I have with this is the paper; it tears rather than leaving a clean hole like target paper which is designed for this use.

I prefer cardboard targets. They are sturdy and easy to hang or mount and leave a clean hole much like target paper. I have a variety of templates (actually just round holes of various diameters cut in cardboard) that allow me to paint round targets of any size and color I desire. Black bulls for rifle and white bulls to simulate steel plates for pistol. Masking tape patches the white bulls nicely and black and brown tape are also available to patch the other target surfaces. This system is quite inexpensive; I don't think I have spent more than $20 on paper targets in the last 20 years. I have, however, gone through quite a bit of target patching tape, which is still a lot cheaper than pasters.

Good idea!

I believe I also once saw a guy who'd drilled holes through the centers of golf balls and strung a wire or string through them up to the target holder. If you had a dozen of 'em you could probably make a game of it. But again, I have no idea if the ricochets would be a safety concern or not.

Careful if your drilling golf balls - there generally filled with something that resembles cut up rubber bands, they make quite a mess and a startling little pop when you get through the outer layer. Very easy to bugger up a drill bit and or scare you.

I have a 3" bull on a 1" grid that I sketched up and saved as a .pdf file.
This is good for 25 and 50 yards.
For 100 yards, I scale it 2:1 when printing.

I print copies for cheap on my laser printer.

Jack

Steel,it lasts forever if you don't shoot it with the wrong gun and only needs a coat of paint from time to time.I paint one side white and the other side black.I have about a dozen of my own and Harvard has plenty.

Definitely paper plates. I draw a circle on them for the wife.

I also use these. I love having the large target for distance and a bunch of small targets for close range.

seb-bl.jpg

You also can't forget 1" squares!!! Need to keep those rifleman skills in check!

I'm lucky to have an abundance of targets left over from being in the Corps and working on various ranges over the years. Like this dude....
100_1015-1.jpg

Even still, I tend to keep it simple and shoot steel (whenever possible) or I spray paint circles/shapes on paper and staple that up to the target. Example....
100_1014-1.jpg
100_1027-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom