• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Targets: What kind of targets do you use?

I detect a sense of depth and sadness, coupled with a feeling of hope and reclamation. The use of gray hues as a backdrop for intricate pastels leads the viewer down a path of ultimate sunrise after the rain....

Interesting,,,,,hmm [wink] do you charge by the hour or by the post? [smile]

I use the official NRA printed targets for the type of shooting I'm doing. As I'm primarily a Bullseye pistol shooter, that means lots of B-2 (slow fire) and B-3 (timed/rapid) targets at 50 feet, and their equivalents (B-16 and B-8) at 25 yards. They end up costing less than a dime each if I remember to buy at the right places.

I like the Edelmann 10-meter air pistol targets (NRA B-40) because the special paper they're printed on cuts a much cleaner hole than the US-made versions, which are a real mess with pellets that are only moving at 500 fps.

I really like the Outers targets with 5 bulls and 1" grid for tinkering with rifle loads because I track all impacts as their Cartesian coordinates for working up the statistics, and measuring using the pre-printed grid simplifies things.

The cost of good targets is trivial compared to everything else about shooting, so I look for other places to save money.

Careful if your drilling golf balls - there generally filled with something that resembles cut up rubber bands, they make quite a mess and a startling little pop when you get through the outer layer. Very easy to bugger up a drill bit and or scare you.

And they are filled with plutonium too!

A regular to our range likes to drill through and then use a coat hanger to make a sturdy hook to hang them from the target frame.

I like watching the bowling pins jump around the back berm when I can get em.

-not in any order...

NRA 100yd small bore rifle
NRA 50yd small bore rifle
NRA 50 Yd Combat Action Pistol

Roll of Craft Paper & Shoot-n-see 2" peel n stick

Cheapo Walmart targets (Winchester 8" 100yd rifle - i think)

Cheaper Than Dirt - TARGET-009 - Paper 25x38" B-27 Red Silhouette Target Pack of 20 SheetsTexas CHL Style

US Army 25 meter zero target (simulated 300 meters @ 25meters) *at 25 & 50yd [laugh]

I printed off several hundred for free @ work; bullseyes and 5-diamond grids. I'm sure they'll tear unlike a "real" target, but I'll see how I like them...

And they are filled with plutonium too!

A regular to our range likes to drill through and then use a coat hanger to make a sturdy hook to hang them from the target frame.

I like watching the bowling pins jump around the back berm when I can get em.

Haha, hey Im just telling you what I found! I sure as heck didnt know what was going on when the drill bit hooked up, ripped the ball out of the vice and started spitting little rubber pieces everywhere!

I use the Caldwell Orange peel targets. They are a bit pricey, but are a lot nicer than a regular paper target. I got them from Midway a while back, they had factory seconds as they called them for like 25% of what they sell for normally [grin] . Here are the ones I use!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=226634
Not only that, they periodically have sales on them that make them cheaper... like $5 for 50 for 6" target or less...

Check back now and them for sales and buy in bulk.

I also shoot lots of laser printed targets, 2L bottles filled with water (but please pick them up when you are done), clays, cans, pretty much anything I would otherwise throw away...

You can also buy orange peel or shoot-N-see small(er) circles to put in the center of printed targets if you are trying to scrimp but still want easy feedback...

Re-usable metal targets are fun too - plates, or spinners...

These are cut from very stout cardboard and stenciled with appropriate threats, and an IDPA down -0 circle. When the middle are shot up real bad, I just reface them with brown paper bags and Elmer's glue. Between drills, I don't normally paste anything inside the down -0 circle. It becomes its own "negative target" and saves time.

The a-hole on the left with the hoodie is the "master" repro sheet which gets photocopied when necessary.

PC030705.jpg

I didn't cut the shapes of these targets, but I did build the frames and supports (except the large popper) that hold them up. All the plates and poppers fall with 9mm and above. Like many others have said, "reactive targets a really fun to shoot!"

steeltgts.jpg

Do some good drills with these....

I found these online, you could make them yourself, if I was shooting IDPA or any type of pistol comp I might spend a few bucks and buy these to practice with......

Small_Dot.jpg
[shocked]
Large_Dot.jpg

FRIDAY BONUS TACO QUESTION???

***First person who names the maker of the targets and the website that I got them at gets a free target*** [smile]

I never shoot targets that leave broken glass or ceramic behind. Gives us all abad name and nobody wants to clean it up.

But if you do shoot glass, make sure it is clear and near the water's edge to give the kids a surprise on a hot summer day.[thinking]

FRIDAY BONUS TACO QUESTION???

***First person who names the maker of the targets and the website that I got them at gets a free target*** [smile]

Those are Blackwater targets, ustraining.com, blackwaterusa.com or proshop.blackwaterusa.com would be my guesses for the site.

Edit: Keep the target and throw me some rep points! HAHA

I never shoot targets that leave broken glass or ceramic behind. Gives us all abad name and nobody wants to clean it up.

But if you do shoot glass, make sure it is clear and near the water's edge to give the kids a surprise on a hot summer day.[thinking]

I rank this type of shooting somewhere between littering and vandalism.

www.letargets.com

I've used this site exclusively for awhile now and had nothing but fantastic luck with them. The obviously sell mostly silhoutte targets, have a great selection different scenario's etc. Great deals on alot of military targets, mostly what I use. E & F type bobbers and things. Check them out.

Another good training tool are; shoot, and no-shoot drills with balloons. Last package of balloons I bought cost me five bucks and I got 100 balloon's for it. Hmm, that's why they call me Bozo?! But seriously, they're cheap and easy, and can be stapled to wood targets. I bring 5-10 balloons with me most times I go to the range and I use them for both pistol and long gun.

This drill, the goal is to NOT hit the balloon.... it's more fun on a windy day from 25 yards. [grin]
ballon-1.jpg

Someone somewhere suggested that you can get awesome "bad guy" targets from the places that sell photos. For example, I have been doing some bad guy w/hostage training (shoot the bad guy, and miss the hostage), so I did a quick search, and found:

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/photo/view/4855920

or, from another place:

http://www.fotosearch.com/CSP113/k1130823/ <<< one of my favs to shoot at!

or, from Google Images:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQsAQwAA

You get low quality images this way, but it's easy to print them on paper. A 8 1/2 X 11 version of any of these is approximately 1/4 lifesize, so at 5 feet away, it's the same as a lifesize at 20 feet. So, I like to shoot them that close, and stack them up (several on target stands) so that I have a virtual gang of bad guys to deal with.

btw, I haven't had any of the hostages complain yet about getting nicked.

I found a site that sells shoot n see 3 inch bulls dirt cheap. I also googled "free printable targets" and found tons of sweet targets to print out and use for free. Although there are tons of targets for free some do suck a bit. I found one real nice print and I printed it out and now I photo copy 100 at a time at work. WHen I get bored shooting the paper I start sticking the shoot n sees on and have a little more fun.

I use dirty birds or a similar target. My eyes are not that great even though I am young so I like to have something that "reacts" when I shoot it so I know I hit it. I definitely wish they were cheaper but I don't shoot a heck of a lot so it's not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom