• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Nothing wrong with the steel cartridge cases, but the bimetal bullet jacket will wear your barrel out much faster. Lucky Gunner published some extensive test results; the key takeaway for me was: "The barrel of the Federal carbine had plenty of life left after 10,000 rounds at extremely high rates of fire. We subjected the Wolf and Brown Bear barrels to the same rates of fire and they were completely 'shot out' by 6,000 rounds." Steel is still fine for plinking, but if the barrel is difficult or expensive to replace then it's best to feed it something nicer.

The argument is more complicated than that. The propellants used by some mfg’s burn hotter and quicker, which has a significant impact on chamber life. The bullets are copper jacketed, their composition has very little impact on the barrel.

Those of you that ordered from CMP...how long does it usually take to receive your order?

Regarding me not wanting steel: More wear and tear on items that may be harder and harder to come by in the commiewealth if exec actions take place.

The argument is more complicated than that. The propellants used by some mfg’s burn hotter and quicker, which has a significant impact on chamber life. The bullets are copper jacketed, their composition has very little impact on the barrel.
No doubt it's a complicated subject and even a test like LG's is far from conclusive. Chamber life wasn't the issue I raised, though: the rifling was shot out. That's because bimetal jackets aren't copper; they're copper washed steel and the steel puts extra wear on the barrel. Whether that "extra" is "excessive" is up to the shooter.

Those of you that ordered from CMP...how long does it usually take to receive your order?
A lot faster than it's currently taking.

I have an order from January 14 that's still sitting in "Processing". I believe I saw someone get an order from the end of December a few weeks ago. At best, I think 3 months for a CMP order is optimistic for the current situation.

I have an order from January 14 that's still sitting in "Processing". I believe I saw someone get an order from the end of December a few weeks ago. At best, I think 3 months for a CMP order is optimistic for the current situation.
I placed an order 1/8/2021, shipped today; so just a week shy of 3 months.

Ah too bad.

Looks like F&D have 50 round boxes of Fiocchi 9mm hollow points in stock. Pricy but then again they’re loaded with Hornady HPs...

Back
Top Bottom