Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

I think it's the "Or they made a f... ton" option (grin). They have offered the .45 reman ammo 3 separate times in the last 3 weeks. A group of 10 friends (and I) purchased about 20K rounds in the first two offerings and they are offering more now! GREAT to see!
NIIIICE!!! I like the way you party. And glad I was able to help you guys score.
I messaged their general manager on FB asking if they ship to MA as I’ve given the link to numerous gun owners in MA😂. He read it but didn’t respond.
Glad they do ship

NIIIICE!!! I like the way you party. And glad I was able to help you guys score.
I messaged their general manager on FB asking if they ship to MA as I’ve given the link to numerous gun owners in MA😂. He read it but didn’t respond.
Glad they do ship
Sent message today as well, but it was me begging them to do a run of 9mm [rockon]

Wolf steel 223 still in stock (1000rnd purchase only). I refuse to buy that many steel cartridges but at least it’s something for those of you that don’t care. Tsusa.

No idea how that 45 ammo is staying in stock. I think people are hesitant to buy because they’re reloads? Or they made a f*** ton😂
But this is a company who makes their own jacketed bullets and is well respected in the action shooting sports. Really can’t go wrong buying it for 46 cpr.
I missed it again 🤦🏻‍♂️

Need opinions...I have not been in the ammo market of late..are things still stupid or are we getting a whiff of a trend in a good direction?

Uhhh, if you had been in the ammo market as of late, your user name would check out.

Still stupid. Limited supply, high prices, no end in sight, especially with what’s on the horizon.

Need opinions...I have not been in the ammo market of late..are things still stupid or are we getting a whiff of a trend in a good direction?

Probably worse...For a while I actually thought the stupidity was fun. Hunting down little know ammo makers, getting tips from Saint A, gang busting CMP and F&D. Posting it in the classifieds at silly prices then pulling it out because I didn’t want to sell it etc...

I don’t really think it’s fun anymore.

edit...except for sometimes

Bought a case of the golden tiger from 619dw and it's bi-metal jacket which means no dice shooting it inside at certain ranges... Which sucks because the box says lead core. But for the price 600 picked up for 1k was just plinking ammo for me.

Edit 223

Bought a case of the golden tiger from 619dw and it's bi-metal jacket which means no dice shooting it inside at certain ranges... Which sucks because the box says lead core. But for the price 600 picked up for 1k was just plinking ammo for me.
Holy shit. $600 per 1k? I’m assuming this is 223 not 7.62x39?

Lol what’s wrong with steel for plinking?
Absolutely nothing, in my opinion. Even for defense, steel cased .223 performs decently enough ballistically.

However, the one massive detriment to steel cased 223 out of an AR is that after sustained fire, if you were to pause firing and leave that next round in the chamber (safety on, low ready etc), that round has a tendency to adhere itself inside of the chamber. After enough time (maybe 30-90 seconds) of resting with a steel cased round in a now hot chamber, resuming fire and firing that round can either result in:
1) the action locking up in the closed (forward) position
2) the extractor shearing off the edge of the rim and leaving the rest of the casing behind in the chamber

Both malfunctions can end up taking a significant amount of time to clear. Particularly the latter.

Absolutely nothing, in my opinion. Even for defense, steel cased .223 performs decently enough ballistically.

However, the one massive detriment to steel cased 223 out of an AR is that after sustained fire, if you were to pause firing and leave that next round in the chamber (safety on, low ready etc), that round has a tendency to adhere itself inside of the chamber. After enough time (maybe 30-90 seconds) of resting with a steel cased round in a now hot chamber, resuming fire and firing that round can either result in:
2) the extractor shearing off the edge of the rim and leaving the rest of the casing behind in the chamber

Both malfunctions can end up taking a significant amount of time to clear. Particularly the latter.

I have shot steel through drums under sustained fire and never locked up a chamber. How do all of those AK’s survive?

Lucky Gunner did a steel vs brass test a while back using 10k rounds each of three popular steel vs federal brass. They seemed to conclude most of the stuck cases were most likely due to steel case coatings, and most of those were on the polymer coated cases, not the lacquer ones as one would expect. But we're only talking around 15 out of 10k (Wolf). Would still be unfortunate if you were using it for self defense though.

They mentioned leaving rounds chambered in a hot gun and not having consistent issues with extraction just from that alone. The only real negatives from steel were that some had bi-metal jackets that had completely stripped the chrome lining and some rifling of the barrel after 10k rounds. The steel case rounds also took a noticeable hit on accuracy after the first 4 rounds fired for some reason. Unsure if that was heat, fouling, or a combination of both. Still reasonable results for plinking and even home defense for minute of man. Just not something for absolute accuracy of a rifle.

Lol what’s wrong with steel for plinking?
Nothing wrong with the steel cartridge cases, but the bimetal bullet jacket will wear your barrel out much faster. Lucky Gunner published some extensive test results; the key takeaway for me was: "The barrel of the Federal carbine had plenty of life left after 10,000 rounds at extremely high rates of fire. We subjected the Wolf and Brown Bear barrels to the same rates of fire and they were completely 'shot out' by 6,000 rounds." Steel is still fine for plinking, but if the barrel is difficult or expensive to replace then it's best to feed it something nicer.

This was 10k shot in relative succession, often times letting the barrel heat up more than most would allow in a range trip. I don't think you'll have too much to worry about 2k spread out over time.

Good to know - still a newb with all of this stuff - thank you all for sharing the knowledge.

Good to know - still a newb with all of this stuff - thank you all for sharing the knowledge.
I'm no expert on the matter, but that seems to be the general notion when it comes to bi-metal on this forum.

Imagine...there was once a time when one could run a 40k round torture test? One would need to pull a second mortgage now to pull that off.

Like so many topics in firearms, the actual test data are taken as gospel in all situations and not limited to the test conditions or similar situations. LG did some crazy testing, and I'm glad they did, but man oh man, I've seen "Bimetal jacket will wreck your barrel if you ever shoot it" and referencing the LG test data. 2,000 rounds over time aren't going to wear it out appreciably compared with 2,000 rounds of copper jacketed ammo. I feel the same about the great G36 debate, SD ammo penetration debates, and the like. Opinions are like a**h***s, after all.

Back
Top Bottom