Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

34¢ per round - Federal Champion 9mm Luger Ammo 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket
Glad I do not need any.

But I have to wonder how can a company like TSUSA stay in business and pay the bills when this is the only 9mm target ammo and one of only six cartridges in total that they have in stock to sell.
Didn't they just build a new "modern" shipping facility? They may have incurred some debt there and how do you support it without product to make profit on.

🐯

P.S.> In the maybe five minutes it took me to type a sentence, move the cat off the keyboard, type another sentence, move the cat again... they sold out 99+.

Last edited:
34¢ per round - Federal Champion 9mm Luger Ammo 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket
Glad I do not need any.

But I have to wonder how can a company like TSUSA stay in business and pay the bills when this is the only 9mm target ammo and one of only six cartridges in total that they have in stock to sell.
Didn't they just build a new "modern" shipping facility? They may have incurred some debt there and how do you support it without product to make profit on.

🐯

P.S.> In the maybe five minutes it took me to type a sentence, move the cat off the keyboard, type another sentence, move the cat again... they sold out 99+.

I'd guess that they're making more profit (per sale) on less product.

I'd guess that they're making more profit (per sale) on less product.

I understand the principle but have to wonder where is the intersection of profit per item and profit per volume.
Also on a different note how many employees can you keep employed, no matter how much you would like to, when you go from a 100 cases a day to 10 (uninformed example).

Also can the Prime program really be bringing in the same numbers?
My Prime account lapsed after two years when they did not auto-renew it this year, and I did not follow up because frankly with the level of availability it wasn't worth it to me.

Long story short, I wish them luck and hope they come out the other side of this whole. I am pretty sure this is not the business model they were shooting for (pun intended).

🐯

Target's prices aren't jiving. Local shops are getting new ammo shipments that are cheaper than TS. Even with prime pricing my local shops are cheaper on 9mm and .45

Target's prices aren't jiving. Local shops are getting new ammo shipments that are cheaper than TS. Even with prime pricing my local shops are cheaper on 9mm and .45
Wait, you mean TS can’t actually justify their no name repackaged ammo being more than the Federal they’re getting in almost daily? No way.

Anyone here have any experience with the GECO .38 special 158gn LRN ammo? Online reviews say it leaves a ton of lead fouling.
I'm curious of your experience. Thanks.

1594774278379.png

Which local shops are these? TSUSA is a national purveyor selling (at current) more than 100,000 rds. Per hour and at times far more than that in far less time. As others have stated, many other calibers have run dry (12 ga. anyone?) so one could assume production has been moved to the popular rounds, thus limiting TSUSA’s inventories. More of one round and less of others means that one singular round must now carry the lack of others. Demand currently far exceeds supply (as well as production), creating a deficit which can only be counteracted by raising prices.
Simple microeconomics.

Have you checked their current inventory of 9mm ammo? As of right now, they don't have a single round of 9mm FMJ ammo in stock. They have been completely cleaned out. All they currently have is Gold Dot and Federal JHP at $0.80 per round. It's insane!

Which local shops are these? TSUSA is a national purveyor selling (at current) more than 100,000 rds. Per hour and at times far more than that in far less time. As others have stated, many other calibers have run dry (12 ga. anyone?) so one could assume production has been moved to the popular rounds, thus limiting TSUSA’s inventories. More of one round and less of others means that one singular round must now carry the lack of others. Demand currently far exceeds supply (as well as production), creating a deficit which can only be counteracted by raising prices.
Simple microeconomics.
Nobody is going to kill that goose. The deal is tsusa's supply chain is different from lgs. Lgs probably has different demand curve, may be getting ammo promised at old price, etc.

TS us national and getting hit hard. New England has a shitty gun owner/capita ratio and stuff lasts longer here....

Nobody is going to kill that goose. The deal is tsusa's supply chain is different from lgs. Lgs probably has different demand curve, may be getting ammo promised at old price, etc.

TS us national and getting hit hard. New England has a shitty gun owner/capita ratio and stuff lasts longer here....

Thank you for talking about demand curve. A pallet at old prices to keep a customer in the long run, is far easier to swallow than an entire freight shipment of hundreds of thousands of rounds that disappears in a matter of hours.

Yeah northeast arms in Peabody has been selling 9mm for $14 per box plus tax. He was supposed to get some Wolf 9mm in this week and sell for $10 per box. Just a FYI.

Considering they made it a point to release a statement that they were not raising prices and the the increases were based on higher prices they were paying. That is why i mentioned it. Clearly not the case.

Not necessarily. I mean, I have gotten 6.5CM during this ammo drought for the exact same price as it was pre-drought. Different distributors charge different prices for both different brands and different calibers. It’s entirely possible that some of TS’s distributors are jacking up prices, and thus TS does as well.

Anyone here have any experience with the GECO .38 special 158gn LRN ammo? Online reviews say it leaves a ton of lead fouling.
I'm curious of your experience. Thanks.

View attachment 372868
Hmm. The hardness or diameter of the bullets might be off? Depends on the diameter of the barrel too. Lot of things can cause leading. @Michael J. Spangler i know you reload but you have any experience with this ammo?

Considering they made it a point to release a statement that they were not raising prices and the the increases were based on higher prices they were paying. That is why i mentioned it. Clearly not the case.
Let me put it this way you would cry if you saw the prices at distributor level, the problem is there is no open stock, it's all allocated to sales reps at their discretion. Dealers with "good street cred" with the distributor/rep will occasionally get cases at that price, but not with any consistency. So it's possible for your LG s to get a few cases of 9 mm for example at like 200/ case but that's not going to happen very often. Most of the dealers that get any cases like that at all, are going to be rationing it pretty hard to save stuff for their customers.... they're not going to let some guy clean them out and only make 20-30 bucks on a case to boot, that's like letting someone kick you in the balls several times in a row. [laugh]

Hmm. The hardness or diameter of the bullets might be off? Depends on the diameter of the barrel too. Lot of things can cause leading. @Michael J. Spangler i know you reload but you have any experience with this ammo?
I’m not familiar but most likely a diameter issue.
It may or may not be an issue for you. Whoever left that review might have an over sized bore.
Or it could be an alloy issue. If it’s “hard cast” lead and running in low pressure 38s then maybe it’s not sealing up well.

I think factory ammo is the reason lead gets such a bad reputation. They load for what’s cost effective and going to work well most of the time. This translates into it working terrible in some guns. Bad news spreads faster than good news.

Simple microeconomics.
Bought a 1000 case two weeks ago in lakeville $13 a box. That was new stock he got in, not old inventory. It is what it is, ill just buy it local. Just sucks to have paid for a year of prime and not use it. O well.

Bought a 1000 case two weeks ago in lakeville $13 a box. That was new stock he got in, not old inventory. It is what it is, ill just buy it local. Just sucks to have paid for a year of prime and not use it. O well.
You can still use it for borderline-exotic/exotic calibers. From experience: 10mm on TSUSA right now is actually a solid deal better than most stores and you can buy in bulk. Speculation: 8mm Mauser frok TSUSA might still be better than buying at a LGS.

Love the question and answer section. [rofl2]

Question:Target Sports remains my number one source!!! With that in mind... I just purchased this exact same ammo from you on June16th for $14.49 per box...and in LESS than 30 days it's jumped a WHOPPING $5.50 per box...YIKES!!! What's going on here? All our very best... Andy and Lucy in Historic Gettysburg PA USA!!! - Andrew (07/11/2020)
Response:In simple words, its a shit show right now and do not buy ammo ammo unless you absolutely need it. We are getting raped.... Best Regards.

Well I was going to write and say that TS had 99+ cases of Federal 115gr 9mm in stock for $0.28/rnd but in the time it took me to check out (under a minute) they sold out.

I'm beginning to wonder if the stock numbers they're showing online aren't completely accurate. I wrote a small script to refresh the page locally and notify me of any changes so I see them immediately, instead of waiting for TS to email or text, since that can take some time between the stock going live and actually receiving the notification. That means that there would have to have been enough people just happen to be browsing the website that they sold 99+ cases is about 2 minutes time. Seems... improbable.

Well I was going to write and say that TS had 99+ cases of Federal 115gr 9mm in stock for $0.28/rnd but in the time it took me to check out (under a minute) they sold out.

I'm beginning to wonder if the stock numbers they're showing online aren't completely accurate. I wrote a small script to refresh the page locally and notify me of any changes so I see them immediately, instead of waiting for TS to email or text, since that can take some time between the stock going live and actually receiving the notification. That means that there would have to have been enough people just happen to be browsing the website that they sold 99+ cases is about 2 minutes time. Seems... improbable.
Not that improbable. They're a nationwide retailer and the favorite source for some places. Considering how many of us just bought 2 cases (limit) from another vendor at that price the other day, and how fast people are gobbling stuff up, you're talking about 50ish people who had to jump the moment they got a text from TS. That seems entirely plausible

Not that improbable. They're a nationwide retailer and the favorite source for some places. Considering how many of us just bought 2 cases (limit) from another vendor at that price the other day, and how fast people are gobbling stuff up, you're talking about 50ish people who had to jump the moment they got a text from TS. That seems entirely plausible
What I'm saying though is that the cases were gone before the notifications from TS were sent out. The only reason I even saw it was because I set up my own notification script. I can't imagine that there are a) a ton of other people looking for 9mm on TSUSA who did this, or b) that there were enough people who happen to be on the site at 9am that they randomly and suddenly went through 99+ cases of ammo in 1-2 minutes. It seems much more likely that the stock numbers just aren't totally accurate.

What I'm saying though is that the cases were gone before the notifications from TS were sent out. The only reason I even saw it was because I set up my own notification script. I can't imagine that there are a) a ton of other people looking for 9mm on TSUSA who did this, or b) that there were enough people who happen to be on the site at 9am that they randomly and suddenly went through 99+ cases of ammo in 1-2 minutes. It seems much more likely that the stock numbers just aren't totally accurate.

Tin foil on....What we're ultimately seeing is that TS put up the stock at lower price than they wanted. It'll get put back up a few days from now at .12 more per. Tin foil off....

I hear what you're saying.

I admit I don't know how their contact script works to let people know things are posted, but I'd believe that there's a delay between when the first person receives their message and the last. It seems easy to believe that there are 1000 or more people with reminders set on something as popular as that one. How many would jump on that price the second they received the email? You may be right, there may be something funky going on; I'm just not sure I see it.

I think many LGS are buying from them too - in bulk, since I have been told by a few wholesale supply of 9mm is out everywhere. Say they buy 20 cases at 28 c/rd and resell at retail for 36 c/rd or more even. I can see TS being wiped out really quick if just a few LGS are monitoring the site and buying massive quantities. Unlike some others sites, I don’t think TS has a limit on what can be purchased.

Back
Top Bottom