• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tannerite is fun.

It's shooting related. I'll toss it into General.

Bought some Tannerite on the interwebs. (oh noes!)

Drove 5 hours to Maine.

Mixed that shit.

Shot that shit.

Recorded that shit.

(Unfortunately I didn't get my shot on video, and we had to drive 45 mins to a Dunks to get WiFi because work called.)

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmm....

I picked up some of it locally a while ago; haven't found anywhere i can shoot at it. I need to go talk to some of my nuttier friends before my family gets here for Thanksgiving; I've got a couple of nephews who'd really enjoy that...

It is VERY fun, especially when you are about 2 hours off of any paved road in the Colorado mountains. Fun until the Forest Service shows up with 2 fine gentlemen from he ATF in tow. At that point, the pucker factor hits 11.

Anybody buy aluminum powder and ammonia nitrate in bulk? Is that all there is in the 1lb tannerite packages I've purchased before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is VERY fun, especially when you are about 2 hours off of any paved road in the Colorado mountains. Fun until the Forest Service shows up with 2 fine gentlemen from he ATF in tow. At that point, the pucker factor hits 11.

This sounds like it could be its own thread [smile]

This sounds like it could be its own thread [smile]

It was interesting. Forest Service folks said it was illegal to use "explosive" targets on Federal Land, we pulled the regulation which said otherwise. Because we had already mixed close to 20 pounds of Tannerite (In 1/2 pound and 1 pound containers per manufacturers instructions) the ATF was NOT amused, said we had "More than a hobbyist quantity mixed" We explained that we were setting up targets (Melons and Pumpkins) 200-400 yards down range (as evidenced by the fragments of fruit already spread around)

They looked over all the firearms we had, even broke out some measuring devices to make sure lengths were ok.

What saved us from serious issue was the fact that we had a dozen fire extinguishers down range behind stumps outside our firing lines (which were taped with Orange, Yellow, and Pink Ribbon)

Because we were so prepared, polite, and honest, nothing came of it.

It was interesting. Forest Service folks said it was illegal to use "explosive" targets on Federal Land, we pulled the regulation which said otherwise. Because we had already mixed close to 20 pounds of Tannerite (In 1/2 pound and 1 pound containers per manufacturers instructions) the ATF was NOT amused, said we had "More than a hobbyist quantity mixed" We explained that we were setting up targets (Melons and Pumpkins) 200-400 yards down range (as evidenced by the fragments of fruit already spread around)

They looked over all the firearms we had, even broke out some measuring devices to make sure lengths were ok.

What saved us from serious issue was the fact that we had a dozen fire extinguishers down range behind stumps outside our firing lines (which were taped with Orange, Yellow, and Pink Ribbon)

Because we were so prepared, polite, and honest, nothing came of it.

What's the reg say for what IS a hobbyist quantity? I wonder what my neighbors are going to say next 4July when tannerite is going to be an added component to my fireworks display

What's the reg say for what IS a hobbyist quantity? I wonder what my neighbors are going to say next 4July when tannerite is going to be an added component to my fireworks display

The Reg is not clear. Mixing a single HUGE batch is not "hobbyist" but multiple smaller containers are likely "hobbyist" if used for the purpose of target shooting.

If Multiple smaller containers are used for demolition or a nefarious purpose, then it is not "hobbyist"

In this case, there were 5 of us shooting, and we had mixed and placed about 25 targets.

Seemed "hobbyist" to me.

I wonder if that barn was taken down with "Tannerite" (over priced pre-packaged ammonium nitrate based binary explosive), or a homemade mixture of a similar nature. At about $10 a lb, that is mighty expensive in quantity.

Then, there is the issue of getting you name on a "list" if you buy ammonium nitrate prills and don't have it delivered to a farm.

Figured I'd bump this thread instead of creating a new one. There's already a bunch of Tannerite threads.

I'm heading to Southern Maine tomorrow for a few days and want to pick up some Tannerite. Looks like the guys and I can have up to 5lb for sporting use in Maine. Anyone know of a place in NH or Maine along 95 or NH 16 that sells it? Not trying to go past Wells, ME

I've seen it at a few stores in MA, but I'm not looking to drive an hour south just to drive all the way back up.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom