Tacoma or Tundra

I hate auto start/stop, but AFM and Turboboost work and have made today's 1/2 ton trucks drive smoother and quieter than ever.

I'm surprised that's what ticks you off, I would have expected you'd complain about the sheet metal being aluminum and not the same holy steel that your custom 1911 is made with that has a special engraving of your length and girth on the slide.
Im trying to enjoy my threat. Can we keep all the bickering in check?

I too thought i wanted the tacoma. Then i saw the MPG. How the heck do you screw up the fuel economy so badly is such a tiny truck?
I don't get it. Toyota is supposed to have decent engineering. Not on their trucks, apparently

can someone explain why the tacoma is not getting 26 MPG?

Small trucks that are geared low don't get good fuel mileage. Simple as that. Don't buy small trucks and think that there is much difference in mileage. That's why I prefer a full size. There is little or no gas savings and a ton more room in a full size.

That said, the Nissan Frontier has a decent amount of room in the 4 door model. My dad had one and I was suprised how roomy it was. With the 4.0 it has plenty of power too. My sticking point is the plow....I need a plow (not some half ass plastic one) and the little trucks don't take one.

Dodge, Chevy and Tundra all take a Minute Mount.

Last edited:
It's stupid comments like this that make people look like idiots. The guy said a small RV, not a f***ing 10k pound behemoth and F150 with the 5.0 or turbo V6 is plenty capable of towing what the previous poster needs.

The only reason you go with Diesel these days for towing is longer engine life and better mpg's while driving so you don't have to stop to fill the tank every 2 hours.
Diesels cost more with upkeep too. About 10yrs ago I worked for a company that drove people back and forth to the airports. We had 3 diesel ford vans and 8 gas. We put about 100,000 miles a year on them. The diesels were costing a couple more thousand a year than gas. At around 400,000 miles they would get rid of them and buy new ones.

Small trucks that are geared low don't get good fuel mileage. Simple as that. Don't buy small trucks and think that there is much difference in mileage. That's why I prefer a full size. There is little or no gas savings and a ton more room in a full size.

well, if that is all it is, why don't they just stuff a Dana overdrive transfer case into it, and the fuel economy would magically come back?

The Tundra was not on my list during my shopping last year. My choice came down to the Tacoma or the F-150

I have almost 20k on my 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Crew Cab 6’ bed and I’m glad I skipped the F-150

My Taco tows my 20’ RV with ease, gets ok gas mileage, seats 4 adults for a 1:45 drive to Pats games, and the bed holds all the crap I need to tailgate, hit Lowe’s, go to the range, or to the dump.

I would replace it with another if it was stolen or wrecked.

I hated the idea of driving around in a huge 4-door full size truck everyday when most of the time, it’s just me and my bag/laptop

That said, the Nissan Frontier has a decent amount of room in the 4 door model. My dad had one and I was suprised how roomy it was. With the 4.0 it has plenty of power too. My sticking point is the plow....I need a plow (not some half ass plastic one) and the little trucks don't take one.

Dodge, Chevy and Tundra all take a Minute Mount.

SnoWay makes a decent plow for the Frontier. My BIL has beaten the hell out of his over the last 4-5 years with no problems. That said the Nissans just feel cheap compared Toyota’s. My mother’s 2012 Pathfinder has more squeaks and rattles than my 2007 Tacoma and I drive to Boston everyday. The roads suck around here yet my older truck driven harder with more miles on it feels damn near new by comparison.

I added some stuff at the dealer but the truck alone was a bit more than $3k off sticker. $36000 ish.
Thanks. Im a bit surprised how high but not really. At least the Tacos hold their value well. Please note im not judging what you paid. Im sure its fair market as I have not priced small trucks in a long time. Which is why I asked.

I have however priced no frills 3/4 ton trucks that were below that number. And 1/2 tons with no frills that were way below that number.

This truck market to me is just scatterbrained and it amazes me how the price of options really sends prices into orbit even on small trucks making them cost more than big trucks.

Thanks. Im a bit surprised how high but not really. At least the Tacos hold their value well. Please note im not judging what you paid. Im sure its fair market as I have not priced small trucks in a long time. Which is why I asked.

I have however priced no frills 3/4 ton trucks that were below that number. And 1/2 tons with no frills that were way below that number.

This truck market to me is just scatterbrained and it amazes me how the price of options really sends prices into orbit even on small trucks making them cost more than big trucks.
The price is worth it to me. Based solely on the fact that at 140,000 miles my Tacoma will still be running fine and have some value where a no frills 1/2 ton Chevy or ford will have already had multiple costly repairs and be worth diddly shit.

These days to get a full size Chevy Ford or dodge 4x4 WITH bells and whistles your WELL above 60 large. As I don't need a full size truck......The Tacoma as a mid size in the mid 30 large range is just right for me. I keep all my vehicles for 10 plus years as well.

Here's a Link to a decked out f150......With a sticker price of a measly $67,000. But wait.... They are offering a great deal and will take $1500 off. Yeah....I'll be right down to sign on the dotted line lol

New 2018 Ford F-150 Limited For Sale in Haverhill MA | #18618

Last edited:

One of the reasons why some auto companies are focusing on trucks/SUVs/Crossovers ins the profit margin. Profit margin for a truck is ridiculous compared to a car, with different emission requirements. To your point, the truck I traded in for my Tacoma was a 2009 Tundra SR5 TRD Offroad Package. We paid $30,329 for that truck. A 2018 Tundra, comparably equipped would have been $15k more.

I paid more for my new taco then I did for the 2009 Tundra ($35k-ish using USAA's buying service)

You must have driven a broken one because I drove my friend's 16 for like 400 miles, with and without load (bed full of computer parts x 3) with no gear hunting at all, and I roaded it at up to 80 mph...

-Mike

Been driving Tacoma's since 1983. Some months ago I traded in my 2003 at 270+K mark. Fuel pump, rear axle bearing, drove me to finally part with her. I had to get my first tow ever due to the fuel pump. I now have an 18 TRD Off-Road Access Cab and this is my first automatic since 1983. I experienced the gear hunting and some other issues starting from a dead stop on hills...… I called my Service Mgr and asked to have TSB 0058 and TSB 0062 flashed into my truck after a complaint about it. Drives great now. I've gone to the same dealer for my last 3 Taco's. Very happy with my purchase there. I won't say who it is so as not to look biased and get flamed here. I also took it to my mechanic and had the NH Oil treatment done to it to fight rust in the future. That will be an annual treatment under the truck for me.

Who did you finance through? Rates have been going up thanks to the economy. The Federal Reserve keeps upping them, expecting another half point in the next month or so.
Your score we'd expect mid 3s to mid 4s depending on the deal structure. ( Debt to Income, Loan to value) ect...
I got 3.9 for 72 months at Greenwood credit union.

Very nice.

I have a '15 Taco SR5 (last year of Gen 2). I love it. Its not going to be able to tow my house of the foundation but I have transported ~ 1/2 cord of wood in the back 30+ miles and it is still small enough to park in Boston Parking garages. I like that versatility. Oh and the turning radius is damn good for truck.

Nice. Now you need to upgrade the tires! Only complaint I have about my 2015 TRD off road is it came with bf Goodrich "rugged trails". Not exactly an "off road tire" as far as what I expect in an off road package. I waited a year and couldn't take it anymore and had bf Goodrich k02 all terrains mounted for just over $700. The ko2 Goodrich is about the minimum of what I'd consider an actual off road tire for a truck that has the package the TRD off road comes with. I'm kicking myself for not going with the bf Goodrich mud terrains now.

BTW - if you do your own oil maintenance on a Tundra, be aware that:

1. You have to remove a fairly large metal belly pan and 8 bolts
2. You need a special tool to remove the oil filter cartridge
3. The oil capacity is 8 quarts

Not the easiest vehicle to service.

Not easy but not impossible. I find I get less oil all over with the Tundra compared to my GM 3500. I had to drop the skid plate on both vehicles anyway.
-mike

One of the reasons why some auto companies are focusing on trucks/SUVs/Crossovers ins the profit margin. Profit margin for a truck is ridiculous compared to a car, with different emission requirements.

IMO It's not that, it's simple market demand. Cheap gas, plus moron buyers like CUVs/SUVs and trucks because they think it immunizes them from either accidents, potholes, etc, and they don't like the "minivan stigma". And I'm not saying anyone shouldn't buy one if they want it... hardly... I just think a lot of the motives are retarded. Some of these dumb CUVs have hardly any advantage over a sedan, and basically they get fake AWD, like 2 inches of extra ground clearance, slightly easier loading from the rear (eg groceries etc, because of a flat surface not far below someone's waistline) and often, in some models, a more poorly built, less refined vehicle.... but that's what a LOT of people want. It's to the point where even a cheap CUV like an escrap or something like that has 6 digit production numbers, dwarfing every other type of vehicle sold today. The carmarkers are just following the demand... The profit margin stuff for them is just bonus gravy. It is kinda funny though, the rape factor on CrapUVs is astronomical compared to a small pickup or a sedan, though, or even intermediate size pickups, in terms of overall value. Part of the reason why pickup prices are often jacked is smarter buyers are figuring out that a pickup is a better option, and it's saturating the production capability...

Admittedly I'm biased because I'm a sedan guy. I can however, see the enormous value in a pickup. I will likely even own one someday. I can't see the value at all in most crapUvs though. Honestly 75% of that market is worse than buying a minivan. (at least minivans are wicked comfortable for hauling people and stuff around, and have REAL capacity advantages. ) CrapUVs are everywhere now. When I commute it seems like it's easily approaching 50%, and most of these things are worse than a wagon, functionally speaking. They look like shit, they drive like shit, and it's just like rolling fraud or something. Then again I also understand that "cars as appliances" are probably the majority of buyer interest.

-Mike

That's not really a big deal, in the grand scheme of things. If you're doing your own service, you just add a little tooling to make life easier. I think on most yotas you can use a plug and a piece of tubing to
reduce spillage on the filter housing, etc. (although I don't know how it's positioned in a Tundra).

I do wish that most of these companies would put the damned oil filter on/near the top of the motor though. (I think Subaru does on some models...)

-Mike

The price is worth it to me. Based solely on the fact that at 140,000 miles my Tacoma will still be running fine and have some value where a no frills 1/2 ton Chevy or ford will have already had multiple costly repairs and be worth diddly shit.

These days to get a full size Chevy Ford or dodge 4x4 WITH bells and whistles your WELL above 60 large. As I don't need a full size truck......The Tacoma as a mid size in the mid 30 large range is just right for me. I keep all my vehicles for 10 plus years as well.

Here's a Link to a decked out f150......With a sticker price of a measly $67,000. But wait.... They are offering a great deal and will take $1500 off. Yeah....I'll be right down to sign on the dotted line lol

New 2018 Ford F-150 Limited For Sale in Haverhill MA | #18618

I agree the Taco or Tundra is likely to last longer. With less problems No doubt there. My buddy bas the tundra with around 200k and is just starting to sink major cash into it.

Resale and trade in is way higher as well. I used to buy a taco every 4 years and traded up to a better model and on paper pretty much would get what I originally paid for it in trade. When I bought the dodge I knew those days were over which is why I will keep til dead.

Ive got 90k on my dodge and I plow and use it as a truck most of thr time. So far trouble free. I do see it lasting well past 100k with no major issues. The dodge does do a lot of things thr taco couldnt. Like seat 4 people comfortably, plow snow wirh a real plow, pick up full sheet goods between the wheel wells and baul a good size trailer. Ive had as many as 4 deer in back coming back from ct and still had room for gear in back. Ride and comfort way better than any small truck in those trips. I know because we used to take the same trips with my dads Frontier and after getting 2-3 deer finding a place to put gear and treestands was a nightmare.

As far as 60k for a truck goes, I would never pay it. I didnt buy the bells and whistles with any truck ive ever bought.
The dodge was an SLT and thats got plenty
Of stuff on it. If I ever buy new again it will be a base model with performance options like plow prep and limited slip and tow package.
Id rather have the cheap floor and seats so I can clean them off easily. Any other shit is just frosting that brings the price up 20k higher. If I want a fancy ride and inside ill buy a nice sedan which is 3x cheaper than a “cadillac” pickup. In fact for 60k you could easily buy both a base pickup and a damn nice sedan. And the sedan youll be saving money on gas big time and not wearing out your truck with daily driving miles.

Last edited:
That's not really a big deal, in the grand scheme of things. If you're doing your own service, you just add a little tooling to make life easier. I think on most yotas you can use a plug and a piece of tubing to
reduce spillage on the filter housing, etc. (although I don't know how it's positioned in a Tundra).

I do wish that most of these companies would put the damned oil filter on/near the top of the motor though. (I think Subaru does on some models...)

-Mike
I just pay $29.99 for my oil changes at midas. :)

Back
Top Bottom