Tacoma or Tundra

Oh yeah, since owning the Taco, I have fueled up 46 times over 15,748 miles (purchase date was 12/31) and am averaging 19.8MPG. When I keep my foot out of it, I get upwards of 24. My cousin has the same truck and is averaging 23MPG over 48k miles. He has not lifted his or put bigger tires though.

I own a V6 Tacoma and tow a 16ft trailer with a Polaris RZR and another Quad. It does just fine up to Northern NH and back with that load.

The problem most people don't talk about with the Tacoma is its hauling capacity in the bed is fairly limited...only about 500 pounds. A quad in the bed and a trailer with tongue weight of 200 pounds and you are overweight. Can it handle that....sure...is it a good idea, probably not.

If you want to put a quad in the bed AND tow you need to by a Tundra.

After owning a Frontier for 8 years, I feel the Tacoma is too small. Even though the difference isn't huge just the way the seat is positioned i feel cramped in the Tacoma.
My next truck is going to be a Tundra, waiting for them to get the keyless start and other luxury features too. Currently driving a Sienna :/ and it can't off-road for its life esp with this new 8-speed transmission ...

After owning a Frontier for 8 years, I feel the Tacoma is too small. Even though the difference isn't huge just the way the seat is positioned i feel cramped in the Tacoma.
My next truck is going to be a Tundra, waiting for them to get the keyless start and other luxury features too. Currently driving a Sienna :/ and it can't off-road for its life esp with this new 8-speed transmission ...
As far as off road capabilities......the frontier isnt even close to being in the same league as a Tacoma trd off road or trd pro. Not even close.

As far as the seat position......that's a personal preference. I like the low position of the Tacoma

Weird. My buddy/brewpartner just got a Frontier. Those are great trucks but need an interior redesign soooooo bad. I felt cramped in his front seat, but the back seats have more room than the Taco. His kids are bigger than mine (not age wise, but size wise, they are very tall). The fit and finish of the SV 4x4 is very plasticky.

I own a V6 Tacoma and tow a 16ft trailer with a Polaris RZR and another Quad. It does just fine up to Northern NH and back with that load.

The problem most people don't talk about with the Tacoma is its hauling capacity in the bed is fairly limited...only about 500 pounds. A quad in the bed and a trailer with tongue weight of 200 pounds and you are overweight. Can it handle that....sure...is it a good idea, probably not.

If you want to put a quad in the bed AND tow you need to by a Tundra.
I dont know where you got this info but it's wrong. I just checked the manual on my 2015 taco trd off road and it's payload is listed as 1,280 pounds......toung weight of 350 pounds and towing capacity of 6500 pounds. That's straight from my manual .

As far as off road capabilities......the frontier isnt even close to being in the same league as a Tacoma trd off road or trd pro. Not even close.

As far as the seat position......that's a personal preference. I like the low position of the Tacoma

I agree that the seat position is a preference, so that's just my opinion, but the engines definitely have characteristic differences. My truck did have a lift kit, but i'm just comparing it to my Sienna... Anyways this isn't a Frontier vs Tacoma debate, lol

Also had this '18 Taco for a few days, so I did get to have a good comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_3505[1].JPG
    IMG_3505[1].JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 22

I would argue that you can offroad better in any Tacoma. I feel as though (and seeing my buddy's Frontier side by side with my Taco, pre and post lift) that the Taco just has better clearance off the shelf.

Neither, F-150. Tacoma is weird and cramp inside, Tundra is super old design. You can't argue with the newer F-150.

Big fat guy #1: 300 pounds
Big fat guy #2: 300 pounds
Tongue weight: 290 pounds (10% of 2900 pound trailer)
Quad in back: 600 pounds
Dog: 70 pounds
Tents, cooler, grill, beer, etc etc: 200 pounds

Total: 1760 pounds....well overweight, deduct 200 pounds for non-fat guys and still overweight!

Unless people are not counted as payload, I think I'm right.

I dont know where you got this info but it's wrong. I just checked the manual on my 2015 taco trd off road and it's payload is listed as 1,280 pounds......toung weight of 350 pounds and towing capacity of 6500 pounds. That's straight from my manual .

Total: 1760 pounds....well overweight, deduct 200 pounds for non-fat guys and still overweight!

Nice try gomer. That's not what you said from your initial post.

A 300 pound dude can load a 600 pound quad and tow a trailer with a v6 taco.

The way your post read you claimed 500 pound payload and that's just flat wrong.

This is the best math ever.

On my 2nd Tacoma, 2015 4 door V-6. Touch under 90K (I drive alot) Change the oil, regular maintenance, no problems. It's the Honda accord of trucks. My only issue is that with soon to be 2 kids in car seats in the back it's gonna be cramped. If I decide to upgrade though I'll go to an V-8 F-150 for better towing.

Test drove pretty much every midsize and full size truck. Went with the F150. Thought FOR SURE I would get a Tacoma. Didn't like it hunting gears and the seating position. It was underpowered and overpriced. They need a powerplant update. Tundra was too much money. Chevy was a hard plastic POS for the money.

But that was me, your opinion may be otherwise.

Test drove pretty much every midsize and full size truck. Went with the F150. Thought FOR SURE I would get a Tacoma. Didn't like it hunting gears and the seating position. It was underpowered and overpriced. They need a powerplant update. Tundra was too much money. Chevy was a hard plastic POS for the money.

But that was me, your opinion may be otherwise.
I thought the Chevy Colorado was the way I was going to go. I really wanted the diesel. Test drove a gas one, and that thing hunted gears bad. Then tried to talk numbers, and got the "gotta talk to my manager" like 5 times. I walked out. McMulkin Chevrolet.

I'm really interested in the new Ranger, and when I am ready to trade in this truck (or pass it down), it's definitely on my radar.

You are 1000% right...my post was me thinking of my specific situation where I haul ATV's up north. You get 1100# of payload on the new taco's...if you are a 300# dude you can put 800# of crap in the back/cab/tongue.

The only reason I posted (not bashing Tacoma's at all...I love mine) is that I was disappointed that my taco had such a crappy cargo capacity. My case might not be the norm, imagine a family of 4 camping with a small popup 2 adults and 2 kids = 600#, camper tongue weight #100, leaves only 400# for gear. I bet a lot of people regularly overload their taco's without realizing it.

Nice try gomer. That's not what you said from your initial post.

A 300 pound dude can load a 600 pound quad and tow a trailer with a v6 taco.

The way your post read you claimed 500 pound payload and that's just flat wrong.

I've had 2 Tacoma's access cabs, 4X4 V6, both purchased as low mileage used. Both have been great, only regular maintenance. My current Taco is an '08, been across the country 3 times. We put a cap on it and have truck camped out of it repeatedly. We're shuttling stuff between Silver City NM and Oracle AZ as we are moving and I'm sure it's been overloaded, no problems. I'd get another Taco, maybe a 4 door, but the shorter bed may be a no-go.

Thank you for your opinions. I had a Tundra a couple of years ago, i really liked the truck but it was huge and a lemon. Other than that I have owned nothing but Volkswagens so I dont need all the capability of the Tundra.
One of my main reasons for buying a truck is the ability to keep my fire gear out of the cab and for responding to fire calls. The calls are often on dirt roads and you have to pull off into the woods to park etc. I am an avid hunter and fisherman too. My current GTI is an outstanding car that puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it but it just doesnt cut it for all the outdoor and fire related stuff. I have several friends on the fire department with 3/4 ton trucks I can use anytime I want for.towing erc if I need it.

Sounds like you hit a lot of trails and off road. Tacomas are legendary for these off road ability. Easier to maneuver a small truck then a Tundra IMO.

You are 1000% right...my post was me thinking of my specific situation where I haul ATV's up north. You get 1100# of payload on the new taco's...if you are a 300# dude you can put 800# of crap in the back/cab/tongue.

The only reason I posted (not bashing Tacoma's at all...I love mine) is that I was disappointed that my taco had such a crappy cargo capacity. My case might not be the norm, imagine a family of 4 camping with a small popup 2 adults and 2 kids = 600#, camper tongue weight #100, leaves only 400# for gear. I bet a lot of people regularly overload their taco's without realizing it.
All good. I seriosuly just appreciate the opportunity to say "nice try gomer" to someone and have him totally not be able to be pissed about it LOL

The key question is: How long do you intend to keep the vehicle?

A Ford F150 will have significantly more issues in the long term than Toyota.

Talk to me about the Eco Boost when you get in the high mileage zone.

If you get a new car or truck every 3 years, it does not matter.

My buddy owns this tundra TRD pro he says it’s the best vehicle he has ever owned the taco was just too small

Attachments

• 2C2BC90F-FC55-4294-9B01-24FEA2541281.jpeg
    2C2BC90F-FC55-4294-9B01-24FEA2541281.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 33
I’m really happy with my 2016 Tundra Crewmax. I bought it new and was deciding between it and the Tacoma. At $5000 off sticker price, it was the same price as the Tacoma I was looking at since they don’t discount them as much. I have a really short commute to work, so the gas mileage wasn’t a concern. 2 1/2 years and I’m about to hit 10,000 miles. Very few highway miles, so the computer says 11mpg is my average.

The bed of the Taco looked tiny to me. I also didn’t like the back seats. I’m glad I have the space in the Tundra the few times a year I need it. This time of year, I enjoy my rear window sliding all the way down. Parking garages are tight, but I can put up with that once or twice a year.

98% of the year a smart car would suit my needs. I would probably be happy with the Taco, but I don’t regret going big.

Back
Top Bottom