• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggestions for my first 1911.

I am going to purchase a 1911 in the near future, and would like some input on the models I am interested in. I am on a limited budget of $650-700, but would like to stay under $600 so I can buy spare mags and other accessories.
First, and the model I like the most, Taurus 1911B. I can get one for under $600, and it has a lot of features that others in this price range do not. I have handled quite a few and the fit of parts is very good.
Second, Springfield Armory, model PW9701LP or SPB9108LP, basically standard GI model.
Third, Para Ordnance P7 LTC Steel 1911 Pistol, PCX745E.
Fourth, I saw a Llama 1911 for sale at a local shop for $350, It was in good shape, decent parts fit for a gun that old. I just don't know about them as I have never heard of them.
There have been a few others that I have seen that are in my price range, But I can't list them all. I don't know if it's better to get a big name with no features and end up spending more money later to get what I want, or if I should get the Taurus. Also, if you know of the Taurus and any Pros-cons please post them. I appreciate your help!
Kenny

I looked at a used S&W 1911 yesterday, and wasn't really impressed. The slide was poorly fitted at best, and the overall "feel" wasn't to my liking. I'm not labeling all S&W's this way, just that pistol sucked. I have considered saving for a Kimber, but if I end up liking the 1911 enough I can always go get another. I am also looking for something that I can use and carry(not CCW) and not be worried the way I would be if I had a $1200 pistol. This is my first 1911, I want something nice, but not something I'm afraid to beat up. I'm going to stick with "entry level" for this piece, and I want to buy new.

Well if it was me, I would go with Springfield Armory they make a nice product and for a starting price of around $500 it's hard to beat..

I'd go for the Spingfield PB9108 Mil-Spec Full Size. I think the changes from the GI to the Mil-Spec are worth the extra $50. The modern style sights alone make the difference for me.

I looked at a used S&W 1911 yesterday, and wasn't really impressed. The slide was poorly fitted at best, and the overall "feel" wasn't to my liking. I'm not labeling all S&W's this way, just that pistol sucked. I have considered saving for a Kimber, but if I end up liking the 1911 enough I can always go get another. I am also looking for something that I can use and carry(not CCW) and not be worried the way I would be if I had a $1200 pistol. This is my first 1911, I want something nice, but not something I'm afraid to beat up. I'm going to stick with "entry level" for this piece, and I want to buy new.

It's certainly your decision to make but, in general, an S&W 1911 will be way, way better than a Taurus, Para and, IMO, the low end Springfields.

Since you're in NH though, you can choose from pretty much anything and on the low end, I've always heard good things about Rock Island Armory.

I found this on a Taurus review. It is a list of features and what they cost to put on a standard 1911. I have read a lot on the Taurus, and it's usually all good. Can somebody tell me why the springfield is better, and how I am getting more for my dollar if I buy it? I understand it is a quality product, but I have heard "standard GI 1911's" don't have very good accuracy. The Taurus is said to get 2.5" groups at 25yards. Can the springfield match that?

TAURUS PT 1911 FEATURES AT RETAIL VALUE
Full length guide rod & reverse plug $35
Heinie Straight Eight Sights 150
Serrated slide rear and front 100
Checkered 30-lpi trigger guard 50
Checkered 30-lpi mainspring housing 60
Checkered 30-lpi frontstrap 150
Ambidextrous safety 125
Beavertail grip safety with memory pad 120
Skeletonized hammer 60
Skeleton serrated trigger 100
Trigger job 100
Custom fit barrel (air-gauged bushing) 100
Custom slide to frame fit 100
Polished feedramp and barrel throat 50
Lowered and flared ejection port 60
Custom internal extractor 75
Extended mag release button 35
Beveled mag well 100
Extra 8-round magazine 30
SUBTOTAL 1600
Basic Mil-Spec Model 1911 pistol 500
TOTAL 2100
NOTES: Prices are average of parts, installation, and fitting charges from five leading U.S. pistolsmiths based on a Mil-Spec basic Model 1911 pistol as the starting point.

I've had a couple of S&W 1911's, never should have gotten rid of them... So I went out and got a S&W 1911 DK model, for $1050.00, more than what you want to spend, but I have never had a problem with any of my S&W 1911's... I also have a Springfield Armory Combat 9mm, and love it, the only problem is the back sight practically walks off the slide.... S&W 1911's have every thing that you would normally have done to a 1911, done to it already, and with their CS, and their Lifetime warranty, you cant beat it...

The Taurus pt1911 is a great gun for the money. No it's not a kimber or Les Bear, but it will give the standard S&W's a run for their money. I personally wouldn't buy a standard S&W 1911 i've never shot one that really impressed me. Now the performance center guns are a whole different (pricy $2500.00) animal. They are more accurate then most people can shoot.

If i was in the position to spend $2500.00 in a 45 i'm not sure a S&W performance center gun would be at the top of the list.

My S&W DK model, out the box, Lawman 230 gr. TMJ and American Eagle 230 gr. TMJ, at 50 ft. Gun put first 3 shots in a very small clover configuration, after already firing 150 rounds. Probably could have put more through that same 3/4" hole, but I was trembling do to lack of food, and muscles were sore from Gym workout. If you read the S&W web site page on the DK model, It is not a PC gun.... It just has a few more features than the standard model... Had a couple of FTF's, but that might have been shooter error...

I am going to purchase a 1911 in the near future, and would like some input on the models I am interested in. I am on a limited budget of $650-700, but would like to stay under $600 so I can buy spare mags and other accessories.
First, and the model I like the most, Taurus 1911B. I can get one for under $600, and it has a lot of features that others in this price range do not. I have handled quite a few and the fit of parts is very good.
Second, Springfield Armory, model PW9701LP or SPB9108LP, basically standard GI model.
Third, Para Ordnance P7 LTC Steel 1911 Pistol, PCX745E.
Fourth, I saw a Llama 1911 for sale at a local shop for $350, It was in good shape, decent parts fit for a gun that old. I just don't know about them as I have never heard of them.
There have been a few others that I have seen that are in my price range, But I can't list them all. I don't know if it's better to get a big name with no features and end up spending more money later to get what I want, or if I should get the Taurus. Also, if you know of the Taurus and any Pros-cons please post them. I appreciate your help!
Kenny

Make sure you keep on eye on the classified here on NES (go Green BTW). Recently, there have been some great 1911s that you could probably get for $600-700 cash

If you're willing to pay a little bit more (and since you're in a free state), the current crop of Colt 1991 NRMs are excellent guns. You might want to take a look at a few of them if your local dealer stocks them.

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the advice in this thread and looked at the guns you suggested, and some you didn't. As for buying something more expensive, not now. I want my first 1911 to be a "first gun", not something that cost what I make in a month. I don't want a showpiece, but a "working gun". I also don't want to have $1200 into a pistol that I will only use a few times a month.
After some searching and a lot of thought, this is the bottom line, I am going to have to be awful impressed to be swayed from the Taurus. I am not 100% sold, but I have looked around at 3 shops today and handled numerous 1911's. I have yet to see anything in my price range that has the fit, feel and features that the Taurus does. All I have found that surpassed the Taurus were an STI, a few Kimber's, and a Les Baer, and all were out of my price range. The Taurus has the features that only the "high end" models can touch. If the springfield had a better hammer, checkering, beveled magwell, and ambi safety I would be sold. I also thought the trigger was better, and it's hard to beat Heinie sights in my opinion. I still have some thinking to do, but I got some good ideas from everybody. For those of you who haven't held a Taurus, go find one. I think you will see my point. It's gonna be hard to beat! For the record, I thought Taurus made nothing but junk before I saw this 1911.

SA milspec since you are in a state where you can get them, great first 1911, specially if you decide to try 1911 related modifications (flare ejection port, file ramp on frame, etc)

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the advice in this thread and looked at the guns you suggested, and some you didn't. As for buying something more expensive, not now. I want my first 1911 to be a "first gun", not something that cost what I make in a month. I don't want a showpiece, but a "working gun". I also don't want to have $1200 into a pistol that I will only use a few times a month.
After some searching and a lot of thought, this is the bottom line, I am going to have to be awful impressed to be swayed from the Taurus. I am not 100% sold, but I have looked around at 3 shops today and handled numerous 1911's. I have yet to see anything in my price range that has the fit, feel and features that the Taurus does. All I have found that surpassed the Taurus were an STI, a few Kimber's, and a Les Baer, and all were out of my price range. The Taurus has the features that only the "high end" models can touch. If the springfield had a better hammer, checkering, beveled magwell, and ambi safety I would be sold. I also thought the trigger was better, and it's hard to beat Heinie sights in my opinion. I still have some thinking to do, but I got some good ideas from everybody. For those of you who haven't held a Taurus, go find one. I think you will see my point. It's gonna be hard to beat! For the record, I thought Taurus made nothing but junk before I saw this 1911.

Why not buy a Ruger MK III Blued Bull barrell? (Avoid the 22/45). Or buy the stainless Hunter MKIII.

Wait until you see the ammo prices. The bullseye leagues shoot 22 in at least one round. Many bullseye leagues only shoot 22.

Bill

Sounds to me like you were settled on the taurus from the get-go so just buy the thing and see if you like the way it shoots. Feel is good but until you shoot it you won't know if you really like it.

Sounds to me like you were settled on the taurus from the get-go so just buy the thing and see if you like the way it shoots. Feel is good but until you shoot it you won't know if you really like it.

Good point.......i wish i shot the S&W MP9 before i bought it. It is now my range gun i let newbies shoot.

seeing means nothing if it does not work im 99 percent sure there is a post on this forum about how the taurus 1911 sucks the safety broke off on the first range trip there are picks of this on the site

seeing means nothing if it does not work im 99 percent sure there is a post on this forum about how the taurus 1911 sucks the safety broke off on the first range trip there are picks of this on the site

This is what I am looking for! I was looking for reasons why I should or shouldn't buy a certain gun. I'm sorry, I should have stated that I didn't want to hear a simple"buy this, it's a good gun", but more"don't buy this, the safety will break on the first trip to the range". I really appreciate you telling me that. I am not set on the Taurus, it was my favorite though. I wanted to hear actual reasons why I should buy a certain gun and what makes it better, so that if my favorite wasn't the best choice I would know. As for buying a Ruger MK3, I have 2 MK1's already, a standard model and bull barrel target model. I don't need another. Thank you for your posts, they are all appreciated!
Kenny

One story of the saftey falling off does not mean the gun is bad, read the story, make the determination if the gun was faulty or the user. Every gun has horror stories

I've shot the Taurus and really liked it - it was accurate and seemed to be reliable (although I only put around 60 rounds through it)... but from what I've heard from others it seems about 50/50 on getting a good one out of the box.

You can usually find a Kimber Custom II for around your price range, check it out and compare them side by side.

Back
Top Bottom