Suggestions for my first 1911.

Seriously, go get a Smith. Mine was $750 and worth every penny. I dont shoot as often as I like, but I love putting rounds through it, and I've never had a single problem with it. Hell, it makes me look like I know what I'm doing. That alone is worth the money. [smile]

Supermotto is wright, just like Automobiles, there are some lemons in guns as well... Do a google search on the gun, read all kinds of different articles on it, call a couple of different gunsmiths ect. ect. ect. Do some indepth research, you'll find alot of people can be biass on "their gun of choice"... I have shot everything from a Norinco, Kimber, Wilson Combat, Springfield Armory,S&W to Colt Custom Complete... All have their own greatnesses and flaws, find someone or some place that will allow you to shoot it, then make your decission... Just my .02 [wink]

I have been reading every review I can find no the Taurus and the Springfield. I know S&W makes incredible guns, and with the exception of the POS I found recently, I've never really had any complaints. I have found 3 seperate stories of safeties falling of the Taurus, and accuracy seems about 50/50 maybe leaning a little more towards good. One major set-back on the Taurus is the bad reviews on customer service have out-weighed the good. All I see about the springfield is that it is a basic 1911, but you can pound on them, and for the most part they take it. I haven't heard much for tack-driving accuracy out of the springfield, but it's only a $550 gun. I know I'm not going to get a tack-driver no matter who I go with at this price range. Top end 1911's will always dominate in accuracy. I am going to Cabela's in a day or two, they had more 1911's than I have seen in one spot before. I am going to piss off whoever is behind the counter, as I am going to ask to see every 1911 that I can afford. I also got a slight budget increase, and a Kimber might be available now. I'm going to check their site and see retail prices, hopefully I've got enough. If so, a Kimber will be coming home with me real soon. Thanks every body for posting, really appreciated! One last note, I read that Manchester firing line has some good name 1911's for rent. Can some one tell me what kind of shape they are in, and if it will be an accurate representation of what I would get. Or are they just shot-out range guns?
Kenny

Last edited:
Take the money you'll spend mailing the Taurass back for repairs a hundred times and by a Colt.

I have done a lot of thinking about this, and really want a Kimber Custom Target 2. I think I am going to put off buying a 1911 until I can afford it. I will just pick up a Hi-Point .45 and play with that for the time being. That way I can work on my pistol marksmanship with something of similar size and recoil. I don't want to skimp on the 1911 and end up having to buy 2 or having something I don't really like. I can get a Hi-Point for $160, which won't set me back that far. I also have a few guns for sale, and those will help make up for that and bring me closer to my Kimber. Hi-Point's are ugly, but shoot decent and are guaranteed forever. I'll give it to my girl when I get my 1911, as she wants her own pistol as well.

Best advice on your first, practice your delayed gratification, save up some more cash and go Colt.

It's the best "out-of-the-box" 1911 out there and it will not lose any of it's value.

Kimber and Colts are both overpriced for what you get. They trade on a once great name and while you can get a good 1911 from Colt, Kimber is alway a gamble

Kimber and Colts are both overpriced for what you get. They trade on a once great name and while you can get a good 1911 from Colt, Kimber is alway a gamble

I always thought Kimber's were top notch? But I don't own one, and have never shot one either. I was just going on hear-say and reviews. I don't want a Colt, I have always felt they were over-priced and you paid for the name. I would take a Colt reveolver, but not a 1911. What are the problems with the Kimber's? I will do a search and see if I can find some reviews that support that. I guess I have bad taste in pistols or something. Seems everything I like is lacking in some area. Oh well, I really like the Kimber too. I'm just going to buy the Hi-Point, if it sucks and breaks, I only paid $160 for it. At least it is guaranteed forever. And I have yet to find a bad review on them. When I can decide on a 1911, I'll buy one. But it seems I don't know enough about them to buy one at this point.
Kenny

Last edited:
My S&W is my carry. I expose it to sweat, soot, brick dust and a host of other nasty crap. The only issue I encounter is fail to lock on the last round. (cuz it's allways filthy)
No kidding. This thing shoots better than I can hold it. I have a 30'' waist and weigh 150 on a fat day, and no one has ever said "What is that" I use a Kevlar belt and an IBW. I paid 750.00 three years ago. Not that I'm biased.[laugh]

If anybody that owns a 1911 goes to a range anywhere near Newmarket, NH and would let me check out their 1911 and maybe let me put a few rounds through it that would be great. I will even supply my own ammo. I know it's a stretch as I don't know you, but I don't know anybody that owns one. (I own more guns than most people I shoot with, and none of us have a centerfire pistol) I would travel 50 miles to shoot a 1911, as it would be the only chance I get. I could go to Manchester firing line, but I am unsure of the condition of their guns and the selection, I would imagine they have had thousands of rounds through them and are rather well worn. Anyway, it's worth a shot.
Kenny

S&W are known to have issues with the external extractor. When the last round is unsupported, it has a habit of dropping down when extracting.

I would look at a STI Spartan, it would be my choice for an entry level 1911, follwed by a SA Loaded, then a S&W

Last edited:
I have the SA 1911 A1 in the GI platform if you will. It is rather basic, but it works very well for my purposes. I believe the MSRP is around 635. As you are in NH, you shouldn't have any issues with the nightmare of Mass laws.

Best advice on your first, practice your delayed gratification, save up some more cash and go Colt.

It's the best "out-of-the-box" 1911 out there and it will not lose any of it's value.

I own several Colt 1911s and none of them were 100% right out of the box, with the exception of one LW Commander. A wise man once said "Colt makes the finest semi automatic pistol in the world. Too bad they deliver it to the customer in kit form."

I still love Colts and wouldn't use anything else for a single stack 1911, but I am resigned to the fact that I will be rebuilding any Colt 1911 that I buy.

...and I made the mistake of buying a Para 1911 which many will tell you sucks totally. So much they screwed up on screwing it up. ... I am somewhere around 10 or 12 cases or more - mostly reloads at this point of any shaped lead bullet on the shelves and the damn thing just won't fail like it's 'sposed to ...

Go with a Kimber or Colt so you can make friends with a gunsmith.

i have a para LTC courtesy of Flotter. it shoots great, but it puts a little dent in the casing when ejecting them.

I have the Para LTC as well and love it. The thing is deadnuts accurate (more so then i am i think... no more blaming the gun on bad shots.)

I actually noticed the dent in the side of some of the spent cases this weekend when cleaning my brass.

I don't reload (yet) so it is not a concern for me.

shot about 400 rounds through it so far and functions great. I got mine new for just under $800 but I'm sure you can find a used one in your price range.

I'll have to see if i can find the article that they did on the para 1911 ltc recently...

they put over 1000 rounds in one day of every type of .45 you can think of and couldn't get it to fail.

thats a 1000 rounds and no cleaning.

the thing was still accurate as the shooter according to the article and they put another 500 rounds in it under rapid fire (still didnt clean it).

so...

FWIW... I have fired several Paras and never had any of the issues people complain about. I bought mine and love it. YMMV

I have decided it is best to wait on the 1911. I am going to buy a cheaper .45 to hone my skills a bit, and find out what I really want in a 1911 before I purchase one. I am going to buy a Taurus Millenium. I found one at a real good price used, and the guy said if I don't like it I can return it in 2 weeks for a full refund. I am going to put as many rounds through this thing in 2 weeks as I can to see if it is reliable. The Millenium is much smaller, and if it is reliable I will use it as a carry gun, as I am going to try to get a carry license. I am going to try to shoot a few different 1911's before I purchase one to see what I like. Thanks for all the input.
Kenny

Theres an ass for every seat as well, some people I've talked too absolutely love their Taurus 1911, fired a couple thousand rounds through them, without a problem, seen some people have problems with top end 1911's as well.... Some lemon groves have some nice lemons, some not so nice.... But, if they also have poor Customer Service, which Taurus does, then I would go with the base model S&W, great firearm, great customer service, and their right here in MA, and not in Brazil...

Well, the Millenium didn't work out well. I drove 35 miles to go pick it up, and when I got there it wasn't in the case anymore. I asked a salesman where it was and said I was there to pick it up, and he tells me it was sold a few hours before! I was told YESTERDAY that it was on hold and would be there for me today! WTF! I won't mention the name of the shop, but that is the last time I set foot in there. I really can't catch a break this week. Laid off yesterday, and had my gun sold on me today. I seriously give up! I guess the search continues. If anybody comes across a compact .45ACP for around $250 let me know, as I am looking for something in that range. I would like to find another Millenium until I get a 1911, as I would like to buy one for a carry gun.
Kenny

IMO in that price range why not try hunting down a used Ruger P345, even if it costs a bit more.... I'm not a huge fan of ruger semis, but there are a couple of constants with those guns... actually 4 constants....

-They're cheap
-They're built like brick outhouses and usually work
-Re the above- damned things last FOREVER.
-In the rare event you get one that doesn't work, Ruger will make it right, even
if you're not the original owner....

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom