Stand your ground, in your home?

I remember seeing something about MA passing a law that says a citizen in his home has no "duty to flee" in case of a home invasion, but can stand his ground and fight an intruder. Is this true? I would appreciate any info from knowledgeable persons. Thank-you.

I remember seeing something about MA passing a law that says a citizen in his home has no "duty to flee" in case of a home invasion, but can stand his ground and fight an intruder. Is this true? I would appreciate any info from knowledgeable persons. Thank-you.

TWO laws; one authorizing the use of deadly force against UNLAWFUL intruders in the home (read:NOT against family members, guests, etc.), the other providing civil immunity against lawsuits from those the homeowner used said force against - or their family.

Note that these statutes are about 25 years old.

Yup, consult an attorney, read the laws carefully, attend a class or a combination. That old saying: "Better Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six" is all well and good, but it will be of little comfort when you're rocking back and forth drooling on your shoes in the pokie....It costs money, but ALWAYS have a good attorney on retainer, or al least on call....Court appointed could be a disaster if you have to snuff an intruder....

Scriv is right. I posted the text of those laws here a year or so ago, but can't find them now.

G.L.c. 278, § 8A. Killing or injuring a person unlawfully in a dwelling; defense.

Section 8A. In the prosecution of a person who is an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring one who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in his dwelling at the time of the offense and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall be no duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling.

G.L.c. 231, § 85U. Death or injury to unlawful dwelling occupants; liability of lawful occupants.

Section 85U. No person who is a lawful occupant of a dwelling shall be liable in an action for damages for death or injuries to an unlawful occupant of said dwelling resulting from the acts of said lawful occupant; provided, however, that said lawful occupant was in the dwelling at the time of the occurrence and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said lawful dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said lawful occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall not be a duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling.

What exactly does it mean to have an attorney on retainer, or on call. What's the difference and does it typically cost money to do this or only when/if you actually need them for something?

In the Art of Concealed Carry I think Darius(sp) said a leagal defense can easily cost over $60,000 (I think was the amount it's been awhile)... if that's the case if I ever needed to defend my life with deadly force my life might as well be over if I ended up in court. Maybe if I found a good firearms lawyer that also does bankrupcy I could get a package deal or something. Or I'd be stuck with the free one the court will give me.

Not to split hairs, but can't family members be unlawful intruders? I'm thinking specifically of domestic abuse cases where a restraining order is in force.

Gary

Is that 1st one the one Ragsdale used in Shrewsbury to get off the hook? Or was it just that he is rich?

Not to split hairs, but can't family members be unlawful intruders? I'm thinking specifically of domestic abuse cases where a restraining order is in force.

Where the family member is the subject of an RO and entry into the home violates that RO, I would say YES, the statute applies. The criterion is that the entry be unlawful AT THE TIME IT WAS MADE.

The idea was to preclude the statute being used for a domestic spat or drug deal gone really bad.

The criterion is that the entry be unlawful AT THE TIME IT WAS MADE.

Would this mean that if someone knocked and asked to use your phone, or "hey my kid really needs to use the bathroom", or someone pretending to be a salesman etc. and you allow them to enter that since the entry was lawful at the time that anything they attempt to do after that you would have a duty to retreat?

Would this mean that if someone knocked and asked to use your phone, or "hey my kid really needs to use the bathroom", or someone pretending to be a salesman etc. and you allow them to enter that since the entry was lawful at the time that anything they attempt to do after that you would have a duty to retreat?

IANAL but that sounds like they entered under false pretenses and would be a fraud perpetrated on you, thus unlawful.

Does this law also extend to your property? Say, if I was in my back or front yard and the same issue occurred. Particularly if I was say, cornered by multiple BGs, but technically not IN my dwelling?

Does this law also extend to your property? Say, if I was in my back or front yard and the same issue occurred. Particularly if I was say, cornered by multiple BGs, but technically not IN my dwelling?

I think that "dwelling" is a key ingredient.

It would be best to drag the carcass inside before calling 911.

[wink]

No, it does not. Outside of your home you must retreat if it is safe to do so.
It would be best to drag the carcass inside before calling 911.
Tampering with evidence is a felony, isn't it? Do you really think the police won't notice the smeared blood? Doing that sort of thing would quite likely convert a justifiable homicide into first degree murder.

One of many:

Right of self–defense does not arise unless defendant took every opportunity to avoid combat, and had reasonable ground to believe, and actually did believe, that he was in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm. Commonwealth v Berry (2000) 431 Mass 326, 727 NE2d 517.

Tampering with evidence is a felony, isn't it? Do you really think the police won't notice the smeared blood? Doing that sort of thing would quite likely convert a justifiable homicide into first degree murder.

Why the hell use these silly face things [wink] [wink] [wink] if some don't know what they mean??

This thread raises a number of interesting questions, and necessarily definitive answers are not available unless and until some case arises in which the questions are presented and answered by the Supreme Judicial Court.

Nonethess, for what it is worth (that is to say, as a prediction of what the Court might hold, which prediction could be either right or wrong):

The term "dwelling", as applied to a single family house, should include the curtilege, i.e., the boundaries of the property line, while as applied to a multi-family occupancy, it would stop at the unit walls and would not include the common areas. This is the distinction that the Court applied under the former version of ch. 296, sec. 10(a). However, Commonwealth v. McKinnon, 446, Mass. 263 (2006), strongly suggests to the contrary. So the safe thing to do is to assume that the "Castle Law" stops at the wall of the "castle."

A person is "unlawfully" in a dwelling when he is a trespasser, and in Massachusetts a person is a trespasser when he unlawfully "enters or remains" in or on the property. See G.L. ch. 266, sec. 120, the criminal trespass statute:

"Whoever, without right enters or remains in or upon the dwelling house, buildings, boats or improved or enclosed land, wharf, or pier of another, or enters or remains in a school bus, as defined in section 1 of chapter 90, after having been forbidden so to do by the person who has lawful control of said premises, whether directly or by notice posted thereon, or in violation of a court order pursuant to section thirty-four B of chapter two hundred and eight or section three or four of chapter two hundred and nine A, shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than thirty days or both such fine and imprisonment. Proof that a court has given notice of such a court order to the alleged offender shall be prima facie evidence that the notice requirement of this section has been met. A person who is found committing such trespass may be arrested by a sheriff, deputy sheriff, constable or police officer and kept in custody in a convenient place, not more than twenty-four hours, Sunday excepted, until a complaint can be made against him for the offence, and he be taken upon a warrant issued upon such complaint.

"This section shall not apply to tenants or occupants of residential premises who, having rightfully entered said premises at the commencement of the tenancy or occupancy, remain therein after such tenancy or occupancy has been or is alleged to have been terminated. The owner or landlord of said premises may recover possession thereof only through appropriate civil proceedings. "

As a consequence, under the scenario where a malefactor secures permission to enter under false pretenses and is then ordered by the homeowner to leave, that malefactor should be considered to be "unlawfully" in the premises.

Final observation: the statutes in question were enacted to reverse the decision of the SJC in a then-famous case called Commonwealth v. Shaffer, 367 Mass. 508 (1975), in which the SJC declined to align Massachusetts with the rest of the states in recognizing an except to the duty to retreat when one was attacked in one's own home. The resulting "Castle Law" is something that may help you if you find yourself in such a situation and employ deadly force. However, it is not sound planning to rely on such a defense if there are alternatives. If the PD is on the way and you can safely scoot out the back door, doing so may save you a small amount of ammo and a huge amount of grief.

A person is "unlawfully" in a dwelling when he is a trespasser, and in Massachusetts a person is a trespasser when he unlawfully "enters or remains" in or on the property. See G.L. ch. 266, sec. 120, the criminal trespass statute:

As a consequence, under the scenario where a malefactor secures permission to enter under false pretenses and is then ordered by the homeowner to leave, that malefactor should be considered to be "unlawfully" in the premises.

Assume for a minute that in this scenario the lawful occupant does not have time to order the guest to leave in order to defend himself from deadly force. The guest might not technically be trespassing yet but if the guest was threatening to inflict great bodily injury or death to the lawful occupant does that not make the guest an unlawful occupant?

Additionally would it make a difference in determining whether the guest or intruder is an unlawful occupant if they have a weapon or not? I know that it is a serious crime to enter another's dwelling with a weapon and even just threaten to cause injury.

See Chapter 265: Section 18C.

"Section 18C. Whoever knowingly enters the dwelling place of another knowing or having reason to know that one or more persons are present within or knowingly enters the dwelling place of another and remains in such dwelling place knowing or having reason to know that one or more persons are present within while armed with a dangerous weapon, uses force or threatens the imminent use of force upon any person within such dwelling place whether or not injury occurs, or intentionally causes any injury to any person within such dwelling place shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of not less than twenty years."

Good question. (I don't know the answer.)

Section 18C (the armed home invasion statute) stands at the top of list of statutes so grammatically questionable as to raise a presumption that the Great and General Court is populated entirely by illiterates. Grammatically, the sentence is an A, B or C series, and it parses thus:

"Whoever

(a)

(i) knowingly enters the dwelling place of another knowing or having reason to know that one or more persons are present within or

(ii) knowingly enters the dwelling place of another and remains in such dwelling place knowing or having reason to know that one or more persons are present within

while armed with a dangerous weapon, [or]

(b) uses force or threatens the imminent use of force upon any person within such dwelling place whether or not injury occurs, or

(c) intentionally causes any injury to any person within such dwelling place

shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of not less than twenty years."

As a result, section 18C read literally makes knowingly entering any occupied dwelling while armed criminal, even as an invitee, which we know is non-sensical.

At least in part, the Court has "corrected" the language of section 18C by amending the first disjunction (the bracketed "or") into a conjunction, so that the structure is now "Whoever (a) and either (b) or (c) . . . ." E.g., Commonwealth v. Stokes, 440 Mass. 741 (2004). Moreover, virtually all of the cases involve defendants who had formed the intent to injure or threaten at or prior to the time of entry, and I believe that a proper reading of Commonwealth v. Dunn, 44 Mass. App. 58 (1997), is that "enter" in section 18C means an entry that was unlawful when made because of the pre-existing criminal intent.

Presuming I'm right about the foregoing (odds are 50-50), then the entry in violation of section 18C should be an unlawful entry for the purpose of the so-called "Castle Law."

Back
Top Bottom