Spouse or S.O.?

I got my father into shooting and we go often now - just yesterday in fact. My mother, who knows? She hears about the range reports now (tough to get the gun bag past her unnoticed) and seems pleased to hear that I hit the bull's eye at 75ft with my 4" 686. Other than that, not sure if we'd ever convince her to go along. My sister is very anti and recently applied for pepper spray. I suggested to my father that we try and convince her to keep a revolver in the home (a condo in Lowell) for protection. He doesn't think it'll fly all things considered, but may "run it by her..." She could probably use the Ruger New Single Six I own if she's game or if she sees how many guns we own between us, maybe it'll send her out of the room screaming....I'm personally trying to beat Elvis's record. :D

Laura said:
My sister is very anti and recently applied for pepper spray.

My sister gave me a half hour lecture on how I was "opening myself up to the path of violence" by owning guns. 24 years later, and I still haven't shot anyone... so much for Liberal wisdom.

Laura said:
I'm personally trying to beat Elvis's record. :D

Uhh.... what record is that? How many TV's you can shoot? :)

No TVs... [lol] I think he had forty guns, though probably some real nice ones considering he served in Germany. Maybe a Luger or two. His ex-girlfriend, Linda Thompson, said it was quite extensive and that he was very proud of his collection.

Once I got serious about shooting and took my sister along she loved it too. She's going to take the safety course and apply for an LTC in a few months. It's nice that my family doesn't have a problem with it, but just like you it wouldn't stop me if they did. [twisted]

Laura said:
I got my father into shooting and we go often now - just yesterday in fact. My mother, who knows? She hears about the range reports now (tough to get the gun bag past her unnoticed) and seems pleased to hear that I hit the bull's eye at 75ft with my 4" 686. Other than that, not sure if we'd ever convince her to go along. My sister is very anti and recently applied for pepper spray. I suggested to my father that we try and convince her to keep a revolver in the home (a condo in Lowell) for protection. He doesn't think it'll fly all things considered, but may "run it by her..." She could probably use the Ruger New Single Six I own if she's game or if she sees how many guns we own between us, maybe it'll send her out of the room screaming....I'm personally trying to beat Elvis's record. :D

See if you can get her to go shooting with you and your dad, hun. The two of you should talk about little competitions or some such thing. Laugh a lot doing it. Have dad praise you for shooting so well, etc., in front of her. Show your mom your best target in front of her....things like that. It might help, but do these things before you ask her to join you. In fact, try it a few times before you ask. Maybe her curiosity will be peaked enough before you ask. :D

I talk about guns openly in front of her and boast about how I did at the range. I'm not optimistic, but it's her loss. I find that most antis tend to be set in their ways. As long as she doesn't put down the hobby in front of me and keeps her opinions to herself. With luck, if she does see my collection, one of them may get her attention in a good way and she'll want to at least try it.

Laura said:
I talk about guns openly in front of her and boast about how I did at the range. I'm not optimistic, but it's her loss. I find that most antis tend to be set in their ways. As long as she doesn't put down the hobby in front of me and keeps her opinions to herself. With luck, if she does see my collection, one of them may get her attention in a good way and she'll want to at least try it.

Don't give up hope hun. If she sees that you and dad have a really good time doing it, she might just change her mind. Especially is you can get your mom to go to watch. :D

Trust me, my mother will never come to watch but as long as she's supportive and getting better about it, I'm happy. You might be right about my sister. I was anti once - funny what a really nice gun will do to you... :D

Laura said:
Trust me, my mother will never come to watch but as long as she's supportive and getting better about it, I'm happy. You might be right about my sister. I was anti once - funny what a really nice gun will do to you... :D

The first gun that really turned me around was a S&W 686P. I was anti, then I loosened up with a Ruger MkII but the first time I saw that 686P I was in love.

Funny you mention that particular revolver. I bought the 442 for my first gun on the advice of the shop I went to. It was an awful; scared the Hell out of me, muzzle flash and recoil - and I couldn't pull the trigger to save my life. It's a wonder I didn't give up shooting all together. Thank God I bought a type M Beretta too which convinced me that shooting could actually be fun. I never touched another revolver again after that for at leat two years, then heard about the 686 4." At first I thought, "man...this is way too big for me," but I bought it used in the plus model and absolutely loved it. To this day it's my best gun, and I followed it up with a snubbie 686 plus. 8) I've actually mentioned that'd be a great starting gun for my sister, if she can get past the looks. With .38s (or .357s), it's a gentle beast.

Yeah I think it's a great revolver. The first one I shot was a 6" but when I decided that I was going to go ahead and get my LTC I made sure that the first gun I was going to get was a 4" so that I could shoot it longer without getting tired arms. My fiancee actually bought that gun and held on to it for me before my LTC came because we found a used one at Four Seasons that was just too good a deal to pass up. But I bought him a Glock 21 so it's all fair [wink]

I'm 100% for having a get together. I suggest holding it in a "gun friendly" state, since that'd make it easy on some us. Maybe Southern VT ot Southern NH would work, reasonably close for most all of us.

Travel doesn't bother me, I just spent the last weekend in South Central Mass, just west of Springfield. But, I've got a BUNCH of stuff that's just not legal in Mass. Of course, I do share, so that'd give all of you a chance to try something different.

On the original subject, the wife finally took up shooting again a few years ago, once we had some Biker friends come up and we all went shooting. She's never been "Anti-Gun", and in fact even has worked Gun Shows, helping my father sell his ammo for several years.

How many are also into camping?

A fair amount of us Bikers go to rallies, and camp on site. I host a campout in Ripton, VT every Labor Day Weekend. The turf is free, since it's in the National Forest, and I have a Portolet brought in, and we all get tgether for food. There's a sandpit within a mile or so where we shoot on that Sunday, and since it's very sparsely populated there, it's no problem what we shoot. I'll try to post pic's.

I've got a fair amount of camping kitchen stuff, including a good 2 burner stove (camp Chef) and a 10 by 10 awning we use as the "kitchen".

The Bikers:

IM000250.jpg

vermontmilitia2004011.jpg

This is at the camping site:

DCP_1962.jpg

Same day as post above, this guy came back from Iraq in February. A friend of mine shared a HMMWV with him for the year, and got him into shooting with us.

IM000282.jpg

IM000280.jpg

And here's some of the stuff we were shooting. Now you know why I want to avoid "non gun friendly" states for the venue.

IM000278.jpg

I have a good two level camp grill and several Colman lanterns in both white gas and propane. I would just need to get a new tent. My last one was retired some time ago. But that's a good excuse as any.

I'm up for that depending on when it is. It would need to be kid friendly because I don't have anyone that can watch my daughter overnight.

But I'm always up for a camping, shooting trip...if we can swing it.

Hell, and who knows...maybe some of the women around here can do some gentel talking to my wife to get her to start shooting as well.

You say "kid friendly". That shouldn't be a problem.

The camp site in Ripton is Primitive Camping, though. NO facilities. But a Portolet can be arranged, and they do make "camp showers".

Just for reference, here's what kind of stove I have. This one is slightly different, seems the one I have is out of manufacture, but they'll do the same stuff. It's got 2 BIG burners, and works with a 20 lb bottle.

db60d.jpg

Let's see where we want to go first. Looks like Ripton is going to be small. MrsWW, if your camper is self sufficient, I doubt it'll fit where we camp. But, I know we can come up with a range somewhere. Of course, if we don't shoot, just get together, we can go to Sommerset (VT). Also National Forest. Primitive camping, but bigger, 2 outhouses, a big field to camp in, and a LOT closer for you "Southerners". Closer to western/central Mass than it is to where I live. No shooting facilites there, though.

I'd love for us to do a shoot/get-together!

My Wife's idea of roughing it is when the hotel/motel doesn't have a pool and a common area with a coffee pot on all the time! :)

I'll be shooting with a friend who's with the Windsor Co. Sheriff's office (VT) in two weeks (Gabe Suarez course) and can ask him if there are any places that he knows in Windsor Co. that might be suitable for shooting, camping (including self-contained), motels and a get-together.

Back
Top Bottom