Speed Channel Is Anti-Gun

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Being a big motorsports fan, and frequent watcher of Speed Channel, I was very disturbed to discover the anti-gun policies of their network.
As you all know, the current state of the economy has put a squeeze on race teams trying to find sponsorship.
This story is about the current Nascar Camping World Truck Series Champion, Johnny Benson. He found an unspecified gun manufacturer that wants to sponsor his team, but Speed Channel is making it nearly impossible for the sponsor to gain a return on their investment.
This was the big subject of conversation today on Sirius Nascar Radio and discussed at length. Speed Channel is owned by Rupert Murdoch and part of Fox Networks.

http://www.mlive.com/autoracing/index.ssf/2009/04/johnny_benson_faces_sponsor_di.html

Johnny Benson faces sponsor dilemma in Trucks
by Steve Kaminski | The Grand Rapids Press
Wednesday April 01, 2009, 4:00 PM

GRAND RAPIDS -- Grand Rapids native Johnny Benson Jr. and his Red Horse Racing team are either going to have to continue its sponsorship search or accept less television time.

That's what the defending NASCAR Camping World Trucks champion said when he visited Grand Rapids on Monday with Michigan International Speedway president Roger Curtis.

Benson and the MIS staff were in town to promote the June 13 Michigan 200 Truck race, and Benson is hoping to have a sponsor by the time that date arrives.

It appears Benson has a company lined up, but the television networks that carry the races, including Speed, which airs the majority of the events, have Red Horse Racing putting the brakes on that plan for now.

"We have somebody in the works to do it, but TV said they would avoid us if we had this sponsor, and it's a gun manufacturer," Benson said. "We are not sure why that would be the case, but that's the information they are giving us. We have to choose whether we want to head down that road or not. We would hate to have good finishes and run in the top three and have TV avoid us for that reason.

"Originally, I said NASCAR had revoked that, and it wasn't. NASCAR called me Tuesday after I had said that they had shot it down," Benson added. "Apparently it is the TV. It is a very interesting scenario. We have had other (gun) manufacturers in there, and why it is an issue today, I don't know.I haven't had a conversation with them yet to get to the bottom of it.

"I think we are going to have to explore it. Money is money. That's going to have to be one of the things we have to do. But it's awful hard to sell a sponsorship if they know they are not going to show us. That's a tough place to be in for both sides."

I find the anti-gun policy at Speed Channel rather strange considering all the programming on Fox and FX that glorify gun violence. (ref: The Shield, Sons of Anarchy. etc)
The potential sponsor here is a legitimate company that manufacturers legal products for use by law abiding citizens. Why does this network refuse to allow them to advertise their products? Maybe because they're NOT showing use of these products in a violent manner?

[frown]

Strange. I used to be a big fan of NASCAR, but I sort of lost interest in the Winston Cup/Nextel cup in the past few years. They're moving further each season from the great American races that I grew up watching. They've pretty much already lost me. This anti-gun crap is just one more stupid decision they've made.

I still like going to the small local tracks as much as I can during the summer though. That's usually a good time.

ETA: Zappa, I see what you mean about it being Speed Network & not NASCAR that's at fault here. I am just tired of all the stupid rules & changes in the last few years.

Last edited:
Strange. I used to be a big fan of NASCAR, but I sort of lost interest in the Winston Cup/Nextel cup in the past few years. They're moving further each season from the great American races that I grew up watching. They've pretty much already lost me. This anti-gun crap is just one more stupid decision they've made.

It's NOT Nascar, they're fine with the gun sponsors. Remington had a Cup car for a few years in the late 90's and Smith & Wesson had a Busch car in 2006. The problem is the anti-gun policies of this particular TV network (Speed), they refuse to show the sponsors name/Logo in the broadcast.
If the Truck Series races were on ESPN, it wouldn't be a problem because ESPN is OK with guns and shooting sports.

How is this possible? Fox News is a Republican media outlet and, and, and ALL Republicans are pro-gun. Right? RIGHT?

It would be pretty cool to see a "Glock" or whatever sponsored car on the track again though.

How is this possible? Fox News is a Republican media outlet and, and, and ALL Republicans are pro-gun. Right? RIGHT?

It would be pretty cool to see a "Glock" or whatever sponsored car on the track again though.

Actually, Glock sponsored cars in the ARCA and Camping World East Series last year. The team owner called in to Sirius Nascar Radio today and explained the problems they encountered with the Speed Channel people. It basically forced Glock to leave the sport. He said that's the same problem Johnny Benson is having right now with his gun sponsor.

Ridiculous... how can you be a motorhead and not like guns, too?

*edit: Though now that I think about it, the people who own Speed probably don't know a damn thing about cars.

Let's write them some emails and voice our opinions. Support Benson's cause. He has the opportunity to support ours. Grass-roots on every level, folks.

I canceled speed and most all but the very basic cable (so I can rent a movie). This is icing on the cake. Vote with your wallet, call your cable providers/Sat providers.

As a Libertarian, I would like to argue in favor of SPEED and there right to do this...

However, where the FCC creates a large artificial barrier for content (unconstitutionally I might add), and SPEED being a beneficiary of this, they should be subject to anti-discrimination laws. I would hope someone with an adept and lawerly understanding/profession would use the system to advantage for a change.

As a Libertarian, I would like to argue in favor of SPEED and there right to do this...

However, where the FCC creates a large artificial barrier for content (unconstitutionally I might add), and SPEED being a beneficiary of this, they should be subject to anti-discrimination laws. I would hope someone with an adept and lawerly understanding/profession would use the system to advantage for a change.

They may have a right to do it, true, but we all have the right to not pay for the channel as well.

I say NASCAR requests sponsorship from as many XXX producers as possible - A brief search on the interweb shows there's quite a few to choose from and they appear to know a thing or two about marketing if not a marketable product.

Let's put the ball in the hands of ABC, ESPN, TNT & Speed then and see who broadcasts what...

I can almost hear Waltrip now:
"Check out the headlights on that 69 car!"
"You don't wanna know where there putting the gas!"
"A little air pressure adjustment on the Bouncing Betty and she's off and running."
Etcetera...

Screw Speed and the other networks if they think I watch for the sponsor names...

Now if you'll excuse me I need to drop some Goodys into a Gatorade

I have never felt that Fox news was pro gun in any way. I watch their news a lot, and can not recall any pro gun, or for that matter, even a "fair and balanced" gun report on their news. There are plenty of recent issues that they avoided in spades, like Hillary propagandizing about US guns ending up in Mexico (wide open of an expose refuting hillary's facts), etc.

The only show on there that is a little pro gun is glen beck, and I think that is just his personal point of view--not the network's.

I primarily only watch about four channels, and, speed is a big one of those four. If you tell me next that the Outdoor channel is anti-gun I'm gonna cancel cable. [thinking]

I still like going to the small local tracks as much as I can during the summer though. That's usually a good time.

ETA: Zappa, I see what you mean about it being Speed Network & not NASCAR that's at fault here. I am just tired of all the stupid rules & changes in the last few years.

I am with you on this one. I feel the same way too and now go to the range or go riding with my friend and sons on Sunday afternoon.

Now if nascar locked out the speed channel it would be called discrimination. [angry]

Speed Channel

I just emailed them and asked if the story was true. I told them I would cancel their channel if I didn`t receive a response denying the story and telling me they are not anti-gun.

If I was Johhny I would take the sponsorship to keep my team together, then go on winning. What are they going to do not show the two trucks in the lead with 5 laps to go? And if he wins his victory lane celebration should have him climbing out of his truck with a shotgun.[smile]

Let's write them some emails and voice our opinions. Support Benson's cause. He has the opportunity to support ours. Grass-roots on every level, folks.

Writing to Speed Channel will do no good whatsoever. What you do is make a list of companies that advertise on Speed Channel, write to them saying you intend to cease all viewing of that channel after X date unless they change their policy (in some visible way), and send copies of this correspondence to Speed.

Speed doesn't care if you watch. Speed's advertisers are the ones who care if you watch.

If the Truck Series races were on ESPN, it wouldn't be a problem because ESPN is OK with guns and shooting sports.
WRONG!!!!!

ESPN has a corporate policy that no sporting event that involves the use of handguns may be covered on any ESPN broadcast show. I believe this policy was put in place after the Disney acquisition of ESPN. They may be OK with a gun company's name on a truck, but to say they are "OK with guns and shooting sports" is less than accurate.

Last edited:
They may have a right to do it, true, but we all have the right to not pay for the channel as well.

Unfortunately, only sort of. Most of us would have to cancel cable all together. The FCC allows cable monopolies into screwing us more money for shit we'd otherwise do without.

Would a true Libertarian advocate taking away the liberties of others through such coersion? Speed channel neither owns the race circuts nor makes the rules but they have found a way to insert their own beliefs into someones elses property and someone elses livelyhood with negative effect.

They should shut the f*** up and cover the races without bias or favoritism like a responsible media organization! [angry]

Would a true Libertarian advocate taking away the liberties of others through such coersion?

They're not taking anything away from anyone. They can choose what they want to broadcast, we can choose whether or not to support their sponsors, and their sponsors can choose whether or not to support them.

They're not taking anything away from anyone. They can choose what they want to broadcast, we can choose whether or not to support their sponsors, and their sponsors can choose whether or not to support them.

My point being is when they get the contract for the exclusive coverage for the series they have a responsibility to cover it. Not to insert their personal values into it. Just cover the damned races and leave your biases out of it. To say " oh yea if X has so and so for a sponsor we wont point our cameras that way" after the fact should not be allowed. [angry]

Their job they have been hired for is to cover the races. The race organization should sue them for breach of contract!!!

My point being is when they get the contract for the exclusive coverage for the series they have a responsibility to cover it. Not to insert their personal values into it. Just cover the damned races and leave your biases out of it. To say " oh yea if X has so and so for a sponsor we wont point our cameras that way" after the fact should not be allowed. [angry]

Their job they have been hired for is to cover the races. The race organization should sue them for breach of contract!!!

If it is a breach of contract, then I agree with you. Certainly seems like sponsor coverage would have specific outlines in the contract seeing as how that's the entire revenue model for the series. I doubt Speed has the final say in which sponsors get how much air time.

Writing to Speed Channel will do no good whatsoever. What you do is make a list of companies that advertise on Speed Channel, write to them saying you intend to cease all viewing of that channel after X date unless they change their policy (in some visible way), and send copies of this correspondence to Speed.

Speed doesn't care if you watch. Speed's advertisers are the ones who care if you watch.
I agree.[cheers]

For what it's worth, this was on the SPEEDTV forum:

"Guys,

This story simply isn't true ... certainly not from SPEED's perspective:

SPEED does not discourage any race team or sporting venue from partnering with any sponsor or business of its choosing, and does not omit coverage of any race team, sporting venue or sponsor within the context of race coverage or related news programming. However, SPEED does abide by Newscorp’s company wide adherence towards not accepting advertising or conducting on-air promotions to certain products which include firearms, weapons, ammunition. These guidelines are not exclusive to Newscorp, would not come as a surprise to any major firearms company and have been practiced for many years within the television industry.

If Johnny Benson secures a sponsor approved by NASCAR, SPEED will cover it ... can't make it any clearer than that ...

And in all fairness to Johnny, and we hope he lands a sponsor soon, I don't see where he names SPEED or anyone at SPEED as the source of his information ... a few reporters simply chose to connect dots and got it wrong ...

Thanks for taking the time to post --

Erik Arneson,
SPEED VP of Media Relations "

If Johnny Benson secures a sponsor approved by NASCAR, SPEED will cover it ... can't make it any clearer than that ...

And in all fairness to Johnny, and we hope he lands a sponsor soon, I don't see where he names SPEED or anyone at SPEED as the source of his information ... a few reporters simply chose to connect dots and got it wrong ...

Thanks for taking the time to post --

Erik Arneson,
SPEED VP of Media Relations "

That's exactly the kind of response I'd expect from a professional media spinmeister.

Translation: "Yes, most of what you said is true, but we'll never admit it and you'll have a hard time proving it. Have a nice day."

Back
Top Bottom