Some people just plain scare me at the range!

I've been shooting it for a half-decade now and have never had a "6-digit" income - unless you count the two AFTER the decimal point.

USPSA is LESS expensive to compete in than IDPA. No need to buy "tactical" flashlights or those spiffy, "shoot me first!" 5-11 pants and vests! [devil2]
A lawyer claiming poverty... now I've heard everything![smile]

Tactical flashlights? Oh, you mean my $20 Brinkmann that I got a Walmart? And when have you seen me wear 5.11 pants or vest? Puh-lease!

No need for that in IDPA either. I wear jeans and an open jacket, just like in my everyday life. The equipment for IDPA and USPSA Production is pretty much identical. However, I'm sure your open blaster cost more than 95% of the guns I see at IDPA matches.

I haven't tried USPSA yet, but probably will sometime this summer. My only problem is my equipment won't be competitive, not that it matters at my present skill level. I shoot a 9mm Hi-Power, so I'd be stuck shooting minor in L10. (Or I could shoot Limited if I bought some more pre-ban mags.)

The equipment for IDPA and USPSA Production is pretty much identical. However, I'm sure your open blaster cost more than 95% of the guns I see at IDPA matches.

I haven't tried USPSA yet, but probably will sometime this summer. My only problem is my equipment won't be competitive, not that it matters at my present skill level. I shoot a 9mm Hi-Power, so I'd be stuck shooting minor in L10. (Or I could shoot Limited if I bought some more pre-ban mags.)

Hi-Powers are double-action. Why not shoot in Production with it?

This thread is off the tracks... LEO's by no means own the market on unsafe gun handling... and well... I don't care to know what Scriv wears to the range. [laugh]

Hi-Powers are double-action. Why not shoot in Production with it?

Wow, a chance like this comes along once in a lifetime. Since I doubt my ability to out lambaste the great Scrivener, I'll correct politely. While there are some DA variants out there, the original Hi-Power design is a single action. Saying Hi-Powers are double-action is like saying 1911s are double action.

A lawyer claiming poverty... now I've heard everything

I worked for a law firm that had a bunch of them. Coming right out of law school and just passing the bar seemed to be a license for the senior partners to treat the new Associates like dogs. More than one would tell me that if they knew what the field of law was actually like, they would have stayed in their former professions. One dreamed of the day he could return to being a carpenter. The firm did not allow the possession of firearms on the property beyond the one I carried. I think they were concerned that if a Associate committed suicide the nice carpet in the hallway would get ruined.

Most of our high school seniors drove better cars then new employees. I really felt for many of them.

Wow, a chance like this comes along once in a lifetime. Since I doubt my ability to out lambaste the great Scrivener, I'll correct politely. While there are some DA variants out there, the original Hi-Power design is a single action. Saying Hi-Powers are double-action is like saying 1911s are double action.

I'll take your word for it. The few I've seen were double-action, if the curved, revolver-style trigger is an accurate indicator.

Regardless, UPSPA has a division for pretty much whatever is in your safe (although I would advise against a single-action revolver). A refurbed Glock, 4 mags and $60 worth of Kydex holster and mag pouches on an Uncle Mike's belt would get someone competitively started.

The few I've seen were double-action, if the curved, revolver-style trigger is an accurate indicator.
It isn't. Even the very old hi powers had the curved trigger. While there were some double action ones made, the chances that someone who saw a few under various situations would encounter only the double actions one is on par with encountering only albino frogs while making you way through a swamp. (Well, almost).

No need for that in IDPA either. I wear jeans and an open jacket, just like in my everyday life. The equipment for IDPA and USPSA Production is pretty much identical. However, I'm sure your open blaster cost more than 95% of the guns I see at IDPA matches.

Or you could shoot production with a carry holster. If not with your Hi-power then perhaps with something else. You are not "penalized" for shooting minor in production. Some might even say you are at a disadvantage if you are not shooting minor. I think you should come out to a match very soon and check it out. [smile]

Last edited:
Regardless, UPSPA has a division for pretty much whatever is in your safe (although I would advise against a single-action revolver). A refurbed Glock, 4 mags and $60 worth of Kydex holster and mag pouches on an Uncle Mike's belt would get someone competitively started.

Same is true for IDPA. Throw on a sweatshirt or jacket and you're all set.

It isn't. Even the very old hi powers had the curved trigger. While there were some double action ones made, the chances that someone who saw a few under various situations would encounter only the double actions one is on par with encountering only albino frogs while making you way through a swamp. (Well, almost).

Learn something new every day (if you're fortunate).

Knowing that JMB used a solid trigger in the 1911, having seen the DA High Powers and knowing that the curved triggers were common on DA pistols such as Berettas, SIGs, Glocks, S&Ws, etc., I inferred that the curved trigger on the HP also indicated it being a DA design.

Apparently not! [wink]

Learn something new every day (if you're fortunate).

Knowing that JMB used a solid trigger in the 1911, having seen the DA High Powers and knowing that the curved triggers were common on DA pistols such as Berettas, SIGs, Glocks, S&Ws, etc., I inferred that the curved trigger on the HP also indicated it being a DA design.

Apparently not! [wink]

See, that's what is so good about Scrivener. We learn from him, even on the rare occasion he is wrong.

Most of us would have said... I ASSUMED with curved triggers they were double action.

Not Scriv.... he INFERRED that the curved trigger indicated it being DA.

Thanks Scriv... I may never use "assumed" again!! LOL [wink]

BTW, I've owned Hi-Powers since the early 60's, and have never seen a double action in all that time,except for a short run of .40 cal guns made in the mid 90's. Hi-Powers IS single action. (I had to throw in the IS to give you something to correct, I don't want to infer I know more than you my friend. [grin]

Bill

I learned something, too... I thought that HiPowers were DA, too.

Not sure what I'll do with this new-found knowledge, but hey... when I stop learning, bury me.

Not sure what I'll do with this new-found knowledge, but hey... when I stop learning, bury me.

Buy one and shoot it? I have one and I love it. Any Hi-Power ignorant folks are welcome to put a couple mags through mine. Be warned though that you might like it, and they're not always easy to find in MA.

Scrivener, you assume alot.... like you assume I dont know what I'm talking about, heres some food for thought! state, town or city pays a company to do the construction, the company incorporates cost of detail cop into the bill, at detail rate when the company could use flagmen at 1/4 - 1/2 the cost of a cop.... we pay our taxes.... they could use that time and money towards training our police officers.....

Buy one and shoot it? I have one and I love it.
My riding partner let me shoot his many years ago; I didn't like the way the recoil felt at that time. I suspect I'd think differently now but I have a CZ-75, so I don't really feel the need for another hi-cap full-size 9mm.

And if its stated in the law the unions have nothing to do with it, and if law don't work, then push the on the town officials the importance of officers target practicing

importance of officers target practicing

That isn't the best use of resources. Tactical training involving scenarios is as important or more important. The time and money can be better spent using realistic scenarios and Simunitions that going to the range and mindlessly shooting at paper targets. A paper target and an actual incident in the real world aren't remotely the same.

However, municipal budgets are stretched to the max and the cost of additional training time is prohibitive. Taxpayers don't want to foot the bill.

I agree about the paper target statement, LEOs need more scenario training deffinately, we need to look at what the Police departments are spending money on every year.

I honestly don't want this to turn into a 2nd A debate or a LTC training requirement discussion but I have to tell ya- some people just have NO common sense when handling guns at the range. They shouldn't even own a gun.

I've seen people walking off the line with their muzzle pointing everywhere but downrange, I've seen people checking their guns by looking into the muzzle, people that can't freaking keep their finger off the trigger, people that turn to talk to others with the gun moving in the direction of the other folks, I've seen people shoot the damn ground 10 feet in front of them when the target was 25 feet away at 5 feet off the ground, etc. God it make me insane.

Oh yeah- I do try to help them out in a polite and courteous way... as much as I want to scream! Am I alone in my perspective?

No not at all.

I honestly think it comes down to this, either they don't have any respect for other people or their ignorant and don't care wether or not if they have proper training...

we need to look at what the Police departments are spending money on every year.

Most training budgets are taken up by mandated in service training. There's not much left over for unmandated training in most any area unfortunately with the cost going up every month.

Municipal budgets get cut yet cost of fuel, ammo, health costs move in the other direction. On top of that, Federal grants and subsidies are down to almost nothing which means the state and municipality must cover those costs. I hated doing the yearly budget. Cut and snip.

I keep forgetting the cost of ammo has gone through the roof, nobody wants to do anything for free.....

Holding a training session without payment is a violation of the FLSA regardless if it is agreed on or not.

One additional four hour firearm's training session would cost my department in the area of 16 to 18k. Not inconsequential. Add to that the other eight to ten mandated in-service training sessions and it strains the budget.

Back
Top Bottom