Smokers/campers do you have your mass. lighter permit yet?

First off as noted by joshk, this letter sounds like it was written in response to a particular issue, sky lanterns (the paper floating thingies I guess) not tiki torches, but it was addressed to all fire departments? That's odd.

Second, the law talks about fire lanterns, not sky lanterns. Are they the same thing?

Finally, what the hell does "in or upon any areas" mean?

Are we missing the context of the law?

First off as noted by joshk, this letter sounds like it was written in response to a particular issue, sky lanterns (the paper floating thingies I guess) not tiki torches, but it was addressed to all fire departments? That's odd. Second, the law talks about fire lanterns, not sky lanterns. Are they the same thing? Finally, what the hell does "in or upon any areas" mean? Are we missing the context of the law?

The bold part in the letter is the amendment to the fire code, in its entirety.

In or upon any areas means...in or upon any areas. Pretty self explanatory in my opinion.

Go here to the full document:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/...fmassamendmentstorevisedfiresafetycode-2-.pdf

Some of it is such an egregious over reach of government it would be funny, except its not. They even limit what towns can do.

you can't burn a christmas tree without a FD present. ha These people really need to spend more time outside of 128.

omfg those 179 pages are just amendments to something, just for 2014. How can anyone keep up?

I noticed: No mulch within 18 inches of any combustible part of a building. That would include the mulch that's 12 inches below my trim or clapboards, so I'd have to move the mulch way out from the foundation.

good grief. I'm afraid to go look at the full law to find the context for our sky lantern question...

- - - Updated - - -

The bold part in the letter is the amendment to the fire code, in its entirety.

In or upon any areas means...in or upon any areas. Pretty self explanatory in my opinion.

Not on public land, nor private land, not in a house, not in a boat, not on a mountain top, not on the open ocean 10 miles off shore while floating on your back?

Fire lantern?? What the HE** is that? Do they mean tubular lanterns? If so what fun is camping with out a tubular lantern? This state is getting worse by the second.

DSCN0034_edited.jpg

DSCN0032_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Go here to the full document:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/...fmassamendmentstorevisedfiresafetycode-2-.pdf

Some of it is such an egregious over reach of government it would be funny, except its not. They even limit what towns can do.

you can't burn a christmas tree without a FD present. ha These people really need to spend more time outside of 128.

Are firepits excluded? This is the sort of thing that happens when the city folks make up too much of the population of a state. Poor schmucks in Upstate New York have the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom