• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson M&P semi-autos

I had Greg Derr do a trigger job on my MP9 a few weeks ago (thanks to this thread) and I finally got around to taking it to the range today. Massive improvement! I now have a gun that I will look forward to using at the range. I was shooting relatively accurate (for me anyway -- I'm far from an expert) with it... every shot at 30 feet was within a 2 inch group. I'm not sure how good that is, but I'm pretty happy with it now.

I picked up a used M&P 9 full size this morning after reading this thread. I factored in the price of a trigger job as part of the purchase. I took it to the range this afternoon to try it out... I will be contacting Greg Derr, David Sunturri, or Dan Burwell shortly.

This is the thread that never ends...
It just goes on and on my friend...
Somebody started posting it
not knowing what it was
And now we're doomed forever just because..

not knowing what it was

not knowing what it was

<mod>next infinite pages deleted for my own sanity </mod>

not knowing what it was

<mod>next infinite pages deleted for my own sanity </mod>

To each his/her own. If you don't like it DON'T READ IT, or better off don't make a useless post. I think Jim has made some good points about a good gun that is handicapped for us poor Massachusetts residents. I was just stating my first hand opinion and mentioning that I'll be following many of the good suggestions I got from this thread.

I'm just glad I found this thread, otherwise I'd have a slightly used pistol up for sale in the classifieds section (assuming I didn't come across this info about the trigger problem some other way).

Thanks Jim!

i'm considering about getting .45acp mp full size localy that's for sale. i'm unsure if the seller is selling it due to trigger pull or what not. i'll be contacting him soon.

honestly i dont have any connections around here for gun smiths or what not. i have many rifles, and few pistols. this will be a carry most likely and i honestly dont really care about the heavy pull unless it really annoy me. I have a glock 19 and it's got some hard pull but i can keep a good grouping within 3' from about 7 yards.

I keep seeing you guys talking about few individuals doing trigger jobs for many people. this has gotten me wondering, How the hell can i get my future mp adjusted if it's illeagle to ship firearms in the mail?

thanks for the help.

i'm considering about getting .45acp mp full size localy that's for sale. i'm unsure if the seller is selling it due to trigger pull or what not. i'll be contacting him soon.

honestly i dont have any connections around here for gun smiths or what not. i have many rifles, and few pistols. this will be a carry most likely and i honestly dont really care about the heavy pull unless it really annoy me. I have a glock 19 and it's got some hard pull but i can keep a good grouping within 3' from about 7 yards.

I keep seeing you guys talking about few individuals doing trigger jobs for many people. this has gotten me wondering, How the hell can i get my future mp adjusted if it's illeagle to ship firearms in the mail?

thanks for the help.

Fed Ex, UPS both ship firearms legally.

really? great!

now my question. Does the mp's still have trigger kinks? still at above 10lbs trigger pull? Just curious because when i was in north carolina, visiting my cousin at fort bragg.. i shot few mp's and i have to say it was beautiful and i fell in love. one was 9mm, had smoother recoil with the trigger release/pull. the 40 was lil bit rugged, but i liked it that way and i dont know why. i had better grouping with the 40 tho.

anything i shall know about mp's before i make purchase in few days?

EDIT: Whats the age limit of buying ammo at walmart? I remember one time going into walmart trying to buy ammo and i couldnt cuz the guy said i was too young. That was few years back. right now i'm 20, think i could buy .45's at walmart?

Last edited:
really? great!

now my question. Does the mp's still have trigger kinks? still at above 10lbs trigger pull? Just curious because when i was in north carolina, visiting my cousin at fort bragg.. i shot few mp's and i have to say it was beautiful and i fell in love. one was 9mm, had smoother recoil with the trigger release/pull. the 40 was lil bit rugged, but i liked it that way and i dont know why. i had better grouping with the 40 tho.

It's not a kink, it is a deliberate design to comply with the communist c you next tuesday MA AG. S&W puts a 10+ pound trigger in so that us poor MA bastards can own it. Apparently on the MA trigger there is a wide spec variance as triggers have been reported approaching 20 lbs.

You need to do some research on the AGs website. Start by reading this thread:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=494906#post494906

i think you linked me to arguements rather if it's legal or not. i know it's legal but i'm asking if it's sw has fixed the trigger pull. it's not a biggie for me at all cuz i'm fairly positive this guy got a nice one ready for me to buy.

Did you read my edit by any chance? also, anything else i should read up?

really? great!

EDIT: Whats the age limit of buying ammo at walmart? I remember one time going into walmart trying to buy ammo and i couldnt cuz the guy said i was too young. That was few years back. right now i'm 20, think i could buy .45's at walmart?

Well, I tested an M&P .45 right out of the box and the measured trigger pull was >11#. This was a US Standard Trigger, not a MA abomination. After ~750 rds (and no other work), I retested the same gun and it was ~8#. No doubt a trigger job would still be a help and the owner may indeed decide to do that someday in the future.

I bought a used M&P 9c from another NES member. He had Dave Santurri (No. Attleboro) do a trigger job on this MA-compliant (10+ # trigger) and it measures ~4.5#.

So there certainly is room to do wonderful things to the trigger pull on an M&P. Any M&P .45 you come across is going to be a US Standard trigger, as no MA triggers exist for it yet.

Fed Law is that nobody under 21 can obtain a handgun thru an FFL. MA law is similar and nobody under 21 is eligible for a LTC and therefore can't possess any handguns. Other states may differ on private transfers/possession.

Not sure if that is true on pistol ammo or just Wal-Mart policy, but if you deal with anyone with 1/2 a brain there, they aren't supposed to sell you pistol ammo if you are only 20 yo.

As for getting trigger jobs done on M&Ps (or any other guns), there are some options locally and distant.

Dave Santurri - No. Attleboro
Greg Derr - Marshfield
Mike Larocca - Worcester

Dan Burwell - Down South (you ship via UPS or FedEx, cost each way I understand is > $65) Dan is the "dean of M&P modifications" but the shipping costs are ridiculous. You can legally ship to an FFL and he can ship it back to the legal owner.

i think you linked me to arguements rather if it's legal or not. i know it's legal but i'm asking if it's sw has fixed the trigger pull. it's not a biggie for me at all cuz i'm fairly positive this guy got a nice one ready for me to buy.

Did you read my edit by any chance? also, anything else i should read up?

That thread was an "argument thread" about legality, but had you read the post i directed you to you would have seen a link to the AG regs (they were also pasted right into the thread).

Because the AG requires a 10 lb trigger pull, SW decided to make a MA compliant sku with a 10 lb pull. It was that or SW could have said F@ck MA and it's stupid laws we won't offer the MP line here. Thus, so long as new SW MP pistols are for sale in MA one can safely assume that NO, SW has not "fixed" the issue because it is a deliberate design.

I don't know how to be any more clear.

ah lens, i understand what you said. but i'm unsure if i can buy .45's at walmart however i've bought some .22's at walmart.

WM is a crap-shoot. I got into an argument once with a drone when he asked for my FID and I told him I don't have one, I have a LTC. They (corporate boneheads) sent an Email (posted in some stores) telling all "associates" that they must demand an FID. Most aren't gun people and have no idea that a LTC trumps an FID.

If you tell them it is for a handgun, at least store policy is not to sell it to you (under 21). If you tell them it's for a rifle, they may or may not sell to you (18 to buy rifle ammo, with an FID).

All I can tell you is that you might buy it one time and be denied another time. WM is just like that.

Which is why I just dropped it off in person to Greg Derr when I was passing through for other reasons. Likewise for pickup.

That's exactly what I was trying to imply.

Dan may be "king" but the local guys do an excellent job and it won't cost 2x the gunsmith fee just to get it to them and back.

I got a quote for a trigger job at $125 is that expensive. it sounds like it. this was a gunsmith in MA with me dropping it off and picking it up.

I asked him what was included and he said everything

That's exactly what I was trying to imply.

Dan may be "king" but the local guys do an excellent job and it won't cost 2x the gunsmith fee just to get it to them and back.

Dan is only "King" because he started doing this first. My M&Ps had his work. He also misses some things others do so stay local where you can return if there is something you are not quite happy with.

Dan has the name but the proof is in the finished product.

And as for the $125 price someone was quoted, it all depends on what "Everything" is.

thanks for the help.

It's 100% legal to ship your gun to an FFL such as Greg Derr for repairs like trigger jobs. Just do it either UPS or FedEx, and ship it overnight or second day air.

C-X

bvet4dog, get yourself to the BATF's website and read their firearm FAQs from beginning to end.

You don't know what you don't know regarding many legal aspects of firearm ownership.

ah... well i saw the sign at the postal office saying chemicals, firearms are not allowed to be shipped. that got me thinking... wtf. but thanks for your help guys... looks like i'll be buying smith wesson mp .45 from north carolina.

jose i know my fair share, your saying i know nothing. I'm just ensuring that my facts are straight by asking around. And it has been answered, and thanks!

looks like i'll be buying smith wesson mp .45 from north carolina.

Careful there. If you are a MA resident, the handgun will have to be transferred through a MA FFL. And the MA FFL will not be able to transfer it to you if it does not meet the AG's regulations.

Another place to get your M&P trigger done

On Wednesday, I handked a Smith M&P that had the trigger job done by the gunsmith at State Line Gun Shop, Mason, NH. The trigger felt very good and was as good as any other that I have handled. I was told the the turn arround was 6 days and, I think, the cost was about $60.00
Give them a look

Back
Top Bottom