Smith & Wesson M&P semi-autos

If anybody is curious, I sent my M&P 9 to Burwell toward the end of February and have not gotten it back yet. From everything I hear it is worth the wait. The only thing that would prevent me from going to him again is the extreme shipping costs.

If anybody is curious, I sent my M&P 9 to Burwell toward the end of February and have not gotten it back yet. From everything I hear it is worth the wait. The only thing that would prevent me from going to him again is the extreme shipping costs.

Mine took about 3 mos., but I had more done than a trigger job.

Not sure what the poundage he took off . I don't have a scale. It is by no means a target trigger, (this is one of my carry guns and he knew that) but i did have some very noticeable improvements in group size.

Not sure what the poundage he took off . I don't have a scale. It is by no means a target trigger, (this is one of my carry guns and he knew that) but i did have some very noticeable improvements in group size.

So did you let someone else shoot it in order to get those better groups? [wink]

Sent him my .40C last Thursday.
Only having him do trigger job and texturing on the right index point so hopefully it wont take too long.
I have my own FedEx account that gives me a 40+ % discount due to the volume I ship everyday so shipping isnt that much.
Also ordered a Supertuck IWB holster to try out. Maybe they will all arrive around the same time.

As a Massachusetts resident, my new handgun purchase options are limited to those that are on the EOPSS list and are also certified compliant with 940 CMR 16.00: Handgun Sales. That means S&W must create a model specific to Massachusetts, including less than ideal characteristics such as the trigger pull discussed in this thread.

I own an M&P40c, and I like how it feels in my hand but initially had difficulty adjusting to the trigger (both LOP and weight). According to my Lyman trigger pull gauge, it started with a gritty 10.5 lbs., but dropped to somewhat smoother 9.5 lbs. after "seasoning" with about 400 rounds. After I was satisfied with the gun's reliability, I sent it to Dan Burwell for custom carry treatment including his excellent trigger job (he also set it forward slightly for me).

I have owned many handguns, including both stock and custom built models. My favorites are a custom Caspian framed 1911, a stock HK USPc and my M&P40c.

I was at Four Seasons and asked to hold the M&P 45. They are unfortunately sending all the ones they have back to the factory.

It was a really nice feel, and the trigger felt fine, similar to my 92FS in terms of trigger pull force, and the amount of travel to fire it. I hope to get one of these, if not this year, then next year. I always tell my kids to be patient when they want to have a new toy RIGHT NOW!, so maybe I should try and be patient too.

I was at Four Seasons and asked to hold the M&P 45. They are unfortunately sending all the ones they have back to the factory.

It was a really nice feel, and the trigger felt fine, similar to my 92FS in terms of trigger pull force, and the amount of travel to fire it. I hope to get one of these, if not this year, then next year. I always tell my kids to be patient when they want to have a new toy RIGHT NOW!, so maybe I should try and be patient too.

So its not paper work after all if they are sending them back to S.W. Won't be seeing them anytime soon and when we do the trigger will be one of those 10lbs jobs.

I have just bought a M&P 9c and agree with the others with regard to the pull. I visited Pete's Gun Shop in Cheshire MA and he mentioned being able to get a free state sear that would drop the pull to 6.5 lbs and that it could be easily done. Sadly I live nowhere near Pete's and was just visiting. (If there is anybody looking who does live in the cheshire/pittsfield area, I would highly reccommend him) Does anybody know where one can pick up this sear and what it would take to do the replacement?

getting the sear

Is it an easy fix after you get one from brownell? I am a novice and this is my first auto

define a few bucks if you could. While I am always willing to pay for quality, I am a student with limited means. If I am going to have a trigger job done I am going to have it done now. This gun is likely going to be a carry gun in a couple of years and I don't want to spend a year practicing with it only to have to get used to a new trigger a year from now

define a few bucks if you could. While I am always willing to pay for quality, I am a student with limited means. If I am going to have a trigger job done I am going to have it done now. This gun is likely going to be a carry gun in a couple of years and I don't want to spend a year practicing with it only to have to get used to a new trigger a year from now

I will give you the realistic options.

1. Get used to the trigger as is

2. Purchase parts, practice on your own firearm and possibly screw it up so it costs you the price of the parts you bought and labor to get it repaired.

3. Contact Greg Derr, contract with him to do a trigger job I know you will be pleased with, pay him the $60 (last I knew but prices change) and be happy and safe.

Choose one but be sure number three is where many end up after trying 1 & 2 [wink]

I am editing to add: This advice comes from someone that has a M&P 40 with a trigger job done by Dan Burwell in PA. Greg does the same job with no shipping costs and a better turn around time. When mine was done, Burwell was the only one doing them.

Last edited:
I agree with RGS. Especially if you are not experienced with working with firearms, I'd recommend you have a gunsmith do it. Dan Burwell does it for about $60 plus $90 UPS shipping both ways, Greg Derr can do as good a job (I did mine with Burwell). The extra $30 to have a pro do it is well worth it.

I wish I had noticed this thread before I purchased an M&P 9mm a couple months ago. I brought it out to the range for the second time yesterday. It otherwise seems like a fine gun, but WOW does this trigger SUCK! I wouldn't be surprised if it actually has a 20lb trigger pull that Jim mentioned is possible in his original post. I have to pull so hard that my hand is starting to shake before the gun finally gets to the point that it'll fire... and I have no idea when the stupid thing is actually going to fire despite it being a 2-stage trigger. I only put a mere 20 rounds through it yesterday before I said "F' it" and went back to firing the MKIII I had also brought with me.

This thread is huge and I haven't read it all yet, but I'll go read all of it, and I'm going to be interested in one of those trigger jobs. Until then, the 9mm pistol I'll be bringing to the range will be my Ruger P89 again.

i've posted similar elswhere...

but after talking to a few compact M&P owners... there seems to be a variance in trigger's between the full size and compact.

So, out of a hypothetical 6 members:

2 out of 2 full size M&P owners HATE the trigger

1 out of 2 M&P compact owners are OK with the trigger

the other three can go either way...

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37564

check this thread for the trigger pull issues as well.

so it's a 50/50 split with my limited M&P and SIGMA audience...

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a M&P 40c and my trigger was OK no terrible but i could live with it but i followed Burwell's step by step and did my own trigger job. i took my time with it and i am happy with the results.

my friend has a M&P 9mm and has a HORRID trigger. it is crunchy and breaks different all the time. VERY hard pull he misses low off the paper the trigger pull is so hard. he needs a trigger job, not sure when he will get one.

I like the M&P, I am planning on getting a 9mm to go along with my 45, but the gun will go to Gregg Derr before I put a single round thru it. I just figure that as part of the cost of the gun. It sucks I know, but you can place the blame on the AG's office for that one.

I can proudly say , don't blame me, I have never voted for a democrat in my entire life, and I don't see that changing anytime soon

my friend has a M&P 9mm and has a HORRID trigger. it is crunchy and breaks different all the time. VERY hard pull he misses low off the paper the trigger pull is so hard. he needs a trigger job, not sure when he will get one.

I was trying to figure out the best way to describe the pull... yes "crunchy" seems to be the word that fits well, plus each pull isn't the same as the last. If I just dry fire it, it seems a little better for some reason but maybe I'm imagining it. I'm not sure why actual ammo would make it pull any harder.

Back
Top Bottom