MantisX and Blackbeard

mu2bdriver

NES Member
Does anyone use the MantisX and/or Blackbeard (for an AR15) in their normal training schedule? I started following the company when they first came out and it was a little wonky but curious if they found their groove recently and firsthand user experience.
Thanks in advance.

I like the mantis X for dry fire training. Gives a good analysis of every pull of the trigger while I'm sitting on the couch with the P226. It does both live and dry fire. I've never used it for any of my ARs. Those a pretty easy to shoot well. If you want to micro analyze your trigger pulls and gun movement it does a good job of doing that. Send the analysis to your phone by blue tooth.

I use the mantis for my dry fire pistol practice. Definitely helps to put up a NESW and center sticky notes to use as a target. Only down side if that if you want to practice drawing from a holster you need the mag baseplate accessory. Unless your holster is cut for a light

Picked up the blackbeard after doing the math:

It pays for itself in 1,100 rounds of PMC at current pricing.

If you manage to run out a single charge of the supplied battery (100,000 rounds) at $.34 per shot of PMC 5.56, thats $34k in ammo.

So, if you constructively pull the trigger more than 1,200 times, you're turning a profit.

*Edit*- Battery runs down when not in use, so you'll never get that $34k per charge.

Last edited:
Picked up the blackbeard after doing the math:

It pays for itself in 1,100 rounds of PMC at current pricing.

If you manage to run out a single charge of the supplied battery (100,000 rounds) at $.34 per shot of PMC 5.56, thats $34k in ammo.

So, if you constructively pull the trigger more than 1,200 times, you're turning a profit.
Please give a review once you've had time to work with it. I saw your other thread and happy there was some participation there.

Please give a review once you've had time to work with it. I saw your other thread and happy there was some participation there.
Blackbeardx arrived today:

First glance- Comes in a nice zip up case with a 4" micro usb cord for charging.
Battery comes charged.
App was easy to install on phone, paired nicely.

Build quality of the mag seems nice. It's lighter than a fully loaded AR mag which I think is an oversight but it may not matter. There's a nice texture to the mag, like a fresh cerrocoat.
Build quality of the bolt carrier group leaves something to be desired, the seams don't exactly match and the spurs from the injection molding are a bit rough. It seems like there's a slight bulge in the middle of the unit, but there's no battery inside so maybe it's just chineesium molding. There are a pair of screws to adjust the height and windage of the laser, but they look a little wonky. I'm assuming they're allen wrenches but the wrenches did not come supplied and the documentation does not indicate which thread. A dive online finds that the screws are 1.5mm allen heads, or roughly 1/16 standard.

Touching the connectors activates the device, expenses were spared in the motor that resets the hammer, the motor sounds like it came out of a old Cannon AE-1 if you've ever heard that noise, or is just generally noisey with a high pitched plastic gearing sound like a child's toy. It doesn't look like there is a gear involved, I think the reset system works on a spinning cog. I guess when this thing's out of warranty and the motor dies I'll look into replacing it with something of more quality, which might be easy as it's all held together by philips screws and housings with clear seams.

I won't have a chance to slip this into a gun until maybe tonight. Tomorrow I'm out to the fishing expo in RI, and Sunday I have a birthday party, may be a bit for a further update.

I have one for my ARs. It is kinda fun to use, running around the house at night, shooting around corners , using concealment, etc. My wife likes it, since she doesn't get to the range often, but still gets to shoot her AR

Blackbeardx arrived today:

First glance- Comes in a nice zip up case with a 4" micro usb cord for charging.
Battery comes charged.
App was easy to install on phone, paired nicely.

Build quality of the mag seems nice. It's lighter than a fully loaded AR mag which I think is an oversight but it may not matter. There's a nice texture to the mag, like a fresh cerrocoat.
Build quality of the bolt carrier group leaves something to be desired, the seams don't exactly match and the spurs from the injection molding are a bit rough. It seems like there's a slight bulge in the middle of the unit, but there's no battery inside so maybe it's just chineesium molding. There are a pair of screws to adjust the height and windage of the laser, but they look a little wonky. I'm assuming they're allen wrenches but the wrenches did not come supplied and the documentation does not indicate which thread. A dive online finds that the screws are 1.5mm allen heads, or roughly 1/16 standard.

Touching the connectors activates the device, expenses were spared in the motor that resets the hammer, the motor sounds like it came out of a old Cannon AE-1 if you've ever heard that noise, or is just generally noisey with a high pitched plastic gearing sound like a child's toy. It doesn't look like there is a gear involved, I think the reset system works on a spinning cog. I guess when this thing's out of warranty and the motor dies I'll look into replacing it with something of more quality, which might be easy as it's all held together by philips screws and housings with clear seams.

I won't have a chance to slip this into a gun until maybe tonight. Tomorrow I'm out to the fishing expo in RI, and Sunday I have a birthday party, may be a bit for a further update.
How did this work out for you???

I sent them an email about the warranty.
They said it's a good warranty.

How did this work out for you???

I sent them an email about the warranty.
They said it's a good warranty.
I like it a lot.

I was doing good for it for a while, I've clocked I think about 4,000 shots.
It's a bit noisey on the reset, if it ever dies I think I might try to replace the motor with something quieter if it's available, but otherwise no issues.

One thing I wish I hadn't done was get the unit with the laser.

There's no optical sensor picking up where the laser has landed, instead the device is using sensors inside the unit to monitor your stability before, during, and after your shot. This data gets super imposed on an imaginary target in the app which shows your drift. I was dubious about the system at first, but the more I thought about it the device doesn't need to see the shot, it just needs to know when you shot and the motions that were going on before and after- the less motion the better score.

Sadly, it's been collecting dust the last few months as I have a nerve problem in my shoulder and I can't even hold a rifle at the moment. I'm hoping I'll be able to get back to it late this year, but I honestly think my hunting season is going to be on the ground with a tripod.

I've been looking at this one or the minipack. I know you still have to rack the slide with a striker but I suck at shooting anyway. It looks like a good way to spend snowy winter days inside and still shoot to get better on trigger control and grip.

{edit}
Ended up going with the Mantis X2. It seems to work pretty well and there is improvement since I started. I really like how it shows what you are possibly doing wrong and how to correct it. I thought a laser showing the hits would be good but now realizing it would make you watch the target more than the sights. Changing my grip with my support hand just a little and where my finger is on the trigger have made an improvement. It could be just the act of more dry fire that's helping but I believe the Mantis really is helping me. Looking forward to the next time I get out to actually shoot live fire to see a difference.

Last edited:
Picked up the mantis x kit a couple weeks ago and have done roughly 1000 rounds with a couple pistols. I think it helps especially being able to do open practice and picking your distance, never mind the courses you can go through. My biggest complaint with it is the phone not picking up on the target and when resetting the target your phone moves and it takes a min to reset. Maybe they need a more heavy duty stand? Other than that I think it’s a great training tool.

Picked up the mantis x kit a couple weeks ago and have done roughly 1000 rounds with a couple pistols. I think it helps especially being able to do open practice and picking your distance, never mind the courses you can go through. My biggest complaint with it is the phone not picking up on the target and when resetting the target your phone moves and it takes a min to reset. Maybe they need a more heavy duty stand? Other than that I think it’s a great training tool.
I should have mention this was dry fire so 1000 dry fire cycles, my bad.

Playing with the app and noticed a NES shoot group.

Can't shoot for another week but I think I'm going to join and school you all with my bad technique.

I'll practice a little here and there with my support hand. Had my right rotator done and can't even lift my arm up to shooting level with nothing in my hand. Any muscle memory will be gone by the time I can shoot with my dominate hand.

Back
Top Bottom