Smith & Wesson M&P semi-autos

Jim, your original statement is irresponsible. The statement above applies to 1911s, Sigs, Glocks, Revolvers, and any other hand gun used for serious situations.

Any responsible trainer would advise a student of the options available in gun smithing.

The responsible statement in a thread like this would have been

" If you plan to buy a MA S&W M&P, plan to spend money on an after market trigger job"

Regards,

In each case where I fired a M&P with a heavy trigger, I advised the student to either send it back to S&W to have the trigger weight brought to factory spec (I also advised them that the S&W work would cost them nothing) or to send the Gun to Dan Burwell. I am aware of only one student that took either piece of advice.

Supermoto
I could have been clearer by writing "front sight" instead of "front sight blade" and "Rear sight notch" instead of just "notch"
I hope that this is clearer

I've always wanted to learn tactical shooting. I can hit my target with good accuracy if I'm aiming it, but when i attempt to do "point shooting" or the likes my shots are everywhere. they still hit the siloutte, but never usually where I'm pointing. Any affordable classes recommended (< $250ish)?

I've always wanted to learn tactical shooting. I can hit my target with good accuracy if I'm aiming it, but when i attempt to do "point shooting" or the likes my shots are everywhere. they still hit the siloutte, but never usually where I'm pointing. Any affordable classes recommended (< $250ish)?

If you're near the Harvard Area we do USPSA practices every Wed. night at 5pm. You don't want to do point shooting you want to train your eyes to see the sights all the time. It's a compromise of speed and accuracy. If you do this type of shooting you will learn to do this type of shooting with everyones help and your only cost will be your time and ammo. You always want to have an acceptable sight picture whenever you pull the trigger.

Pete

If you're near the Harvard Area we do USPSA practices every Wed. night at 5pm. You don't want to do point shooting you want to train your eyes to see the sights all the time. It's a compromise of speed and accuracy. If you do this type of shooting you will learn to do this type of shooting with everyones help and your only cost will be your time and ammo. You always want to have an acceptable sight picture whenever you pull the trigger.

Pete

As much as I would love this, and appreciate the offer, I live in the Southshore, and get out of work at 5pm (in brockton)

Supermoto
I could have been clearer by writing "front sight" instead of "front sight blade" and "Rear sight notch" instead of just "notch"
I hope that this is clearer

[smile] Jim, my humor is usually pretty poor and as my wife says " I'm the only one that thinks I'm funny"

I shoot Open, so none of my guns, rifles or shotgun have iron sights.

I do appreciate your tips and suggestions and your willingness to still help even when I am goofing around

As much as I would love this, and appreciate the offer, I live in the Southshore, and get out of work at 5pm (in brockton)

I run a USPSA practice at Ames in Easton from 6-8, thursday nights. With the time change we are going to try to get back outside. Feel free to come down

I run a USPSA practice at Ames in Easton from 6-8, thursday nights. With the time change we are going to try to get back outside. Feel free to come down

I'd like that a lot. Is there anything i should bring? $$, targets, women and booze?. I'll warn you, i've never done USPSA. I've only been shooting pistols for like 5 months.

I'd like that a lot. Is there anything i should bring? $$, targets, women and booze?. I'll warn you, i've never done USPSA. I've only been shooting pistols for like 5 months.

Bring a safe gun, OWB holster, and a few mags. I have a lot of new shooters come to the practice, All I ask is that you are safe and follow my safety rules. Its alot of fun and very addicting.

well the attorney general doesn't think my guns safe (glock), but i'm sure safe with it...how much ammo would you recommend? I will definately be there next week. Can't wait

i was taking a look at the picture of the range. It's nice looking, much better than my current range. i have to trek over mud-pits and drag my 6ft target stand w/ me. i'm seriously considering membership there. What's your take?

Jim also runs classes for $250 for two days. Check out the web site in his signature. I haven't taken any yet (I'm signed up for two this year), but just shooting with him has helped my shooting greatly. (We're members at the same club.)

Normally, I do not comment on a student's shooting and mention the student by name.
I will make an exception in this case. When I first met Jar a few months ago, he was waiting for his CCW permit and did not own a firearm. I am not sure if he had shot before we met on the range, but if he had it was not very much. He has progressed quite nicely and I expect a great deal more progress over the next few months. If he keeps shooting I expect him to be very good.
Jeff - You have been warned, so you better be buying a lot of ammo

Thanks for the kind words Jim. I don't think I bring anything special to the table. The only thing, and I think this is key for anyone to get good at anything, is to bring an open mind.

Thanks for the kind words Jim. I don't think I bring anything special to the table. The only thing, and I think this is key for anyone to get good at anything, is to bring an open mind.

AMEN to that! I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned from Jim over the past couple of years we have been shooting together!

Contrary to both Adam and Jar wrote, they did bring all the things to the sessions that a trainer needs to suceed. They brought a willingness to learn, an open mind and a minimum of preconceived notions. My thanks to both of you for making us look good.
Our best reward in teaching is when the student ends up shooting better than the teacher. You guys could be tough at or after Front Sight.

Why on earth would you want the magazine disconnect removed?

Does removing it make such a difference in trigger pull that it is worth removing the ability to render your weapon inoperable just by pressing the mag release? To me that is an extremely worthy feature. I do not expect to have to fight to retain my handgun, but if I needed to I would want every way to disable the gun if I could not retain it.

Some people believe in magazine disconnects. Others of us want the option of shooting the round in the chamber in the event that the magazine was not completely seated or the mag release button somehow got pressed while the gun was in the holster. YMMV.

Why on earth would you want the magazine disconnect removed?

Some of us use M&Ps for USPSA and IDPA. The magazine disconnect is an annoyance. When we finish shooting a stage, we have to unload, show that the chamber is clear and then pull the trigger before returning the pistol to the holster. With the mag disconnect in place you have to carry a spare empty magazine to reinsert before pulling the trigger. Just another step that holds up the game to say nothing of the expense of another magazine you don't really use.

Why not disconnect the disconnect if it's an annoyance?
I got mine with the disco because I didn't want the foolish warning on my pistol. If the disco bugged me, I'd rip it out.

Why not disconnect the disconnect if it's an annoyance?
I got mine with the disco because I didn't want the foolish warning on my pistol. If the disco bugged me, I'd rip it out.

That's exactly what I did after shooting one match with it in place. Dan Burwell had detailed instructions on his website that were a cinch to follow.

None of my first choice handguns for a defensive situation have mag disconnects (1911 and revolvers), so why does it matter that I've had the one on my M&P removed? It's a nuisance. And as a more practical matter, with the mag drop issues that some batches of M&P 40s had, if it happened, at least you'd have one shot.

Jose
A magazine disconnect is a quasi saftey device that first appeared in the 1930s and has from my point of view no value. If one is to carry a handgun for self defense, I expect, no I demand it, to go bang when ever I press the trigger.While I recognise that it could be activated by me the make the gun useless to the BG, It could also be activated by the BG making the gun useless for me. Simply put I will not have one on any gun that i carry for self defense. Before you spout off about how wrong I am, I suggest that you spend a day doing gun take aways with someone that knows what he is doing. I am not talking about just standing but also wrestling in the dirt.

A magazine disconnect is a clever colution to a nonexistent problem

My opinion on Mag Disconnects...

Just one more thing to fail.

If anything should follow the KISS principal, it is a firearm.

And I hate the writing on the slide as well, but it's a small price to pay for a pistol configured the way I want it.

Gotta admire S&W for developing a platform that allows just about every configuration a customer might want. (I've even heard of pistols in .40 and 9mm being built for LEO contracts with the Thumb Safety despite not having that option in the market place.)

About the only thing I wish S&W would do is make the parts easier to get. They really cracked down on them to those who attended the armorer's course. I hope maybe next year to take that just so I can get parts.

BTW, sear blocks are in stock at a certain large national distributor that refuses to ship ammo or components to MA but that carries tons of accessories and parts.

Back
Top Bottom