• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson M&P semi-autos

JDP12
I suggest that you read my original post again and note that it was posted in 2008, when Apex was not making their sear kits . I standby my original post. With the Apex parts, the M&P is a great gun.
Without the parts, it is not worthy any discussion
What do you not understand? English?

heavy trigger pull on mass. spec. M&P

well i took the M&P back to the gun dealer i purchased it from and they indicated that they were going to get an exchange from S&W via customer service because of my disatisfaction with the Mass. spec trigger pull (it is a Mass. gun per the sku number, which agrees with S&W catalog, 10 lb. trigger pull vs. standard 6.5lb.).....
that was almost 3 mos. ago.....i am still waiting.......
i complained to the dealer, who in turn says they spoke with customer service at S&W. Apparantly S&W has high demand for this gun from Europe, and the factory cannot determine when my standard trigger pull spec'd gun would be available for exchange. the dealer is now offering to rework the trigger, which they say will not void the warranty......cost will be $50-$60....it urks me to pay this, but believe i am going to pursue this route.....in the end they say the trigger pull will be around 5.5......much improved from the mass spec 10lb.......not very happy with S&W factory......find it hard to believe a 'normal' 6.5lb gun is not available....

well i took the M&P back to the gun dealer i purchased it from and they indicated that they were going to get an exchange from S&W via customer service because of my disatisfaction with the Mass. spec trigger pull (it is a Mass. gun per the sku number, which agrees with S&W catalog, 10 lb. trigger pull vs. standard 6.5lb.).....
that was almost 3 mos. ago.....i am still waiting.......
i complained to the dealer, who in turn says they spoke with customer service at S&W. Apparantly S&W has high demand for this gun from Europe, and the factory cannot determine when my standard trigger pull spec'd gun would be available for exchange. the dealer is now offering to rework the trigger, which they say will not void the warranty......cost will be $50-$60....it urks me to pay this, but believe i am going to pursue this route.....in the end they say the trigger pull will be around 5.5......much improved from the mass spec 10lb.......not very happy with S&W factory......find it hard to believe a 'normal' 6.5lb gun is not available....

M&Ps are actually in extremely short supply right now.

I installed the Apex sear for the M&P 45, and the trigger is nice now. It's not a 1911 of course, but it's fairly comfortable to shoot now.

M&Ps are actually in extremely short supply right now.
Noticed, I had ordered an M&P40C and after waiting a few months, went with a Sig P239 instead. No regrets, though I may still pick up a full sized M&P in time. I've shot the .40 and liked it a lot, even without a trigger job, just a broken in trigger. New they are garbage, but once broken in they are shootable.

Noticed, I had ordered an M&P40C and after waiting a few months, went with a Sig P239 instead. No regrets, though I may still pick up a full sized M&P in time. I've shot the .40 and liked it a lot, even without a trigger job, just a broken in trigger. New they are garbage, but once broken in they are shootable.

Where did you order it from, I'm in Western Mass..... seems I've seen them in stores around here including up at S&W retail store.. although I didn't see any in the showcase saturday, plenty of FS M&P's, no compacts.

I had it through a new store, Grrr Gear in Orange. They said they were on back order, but i had ordered it earlier this year and after waiting a few months decided i'd put the money into something else.

I had it through a new store, Grrr Gear in Orange. They said they were on back order, but i had ordered it earlier this year and after waiting a few months decided i'd put the money into something else.

Too bad, sounds like someone didn't have much of a connection or business network to find you one. I am sure there were plenty of them in the area down here. The M&P's are a fabulous gun...

Too bad, sounds like someone didn't have much of a connection or business network to find you one. I am sure there were plenty of them in the area down here. The M&P's are a fabulous gun...
Where in Western MA are you? I'm pretty much central MA. Only reason I went with them was because I went in there to check them out and saw the 9 and 45 versions there, but wanted a .40 and they said they could order one. Most of my business is done with R&R in Belchertown.

Where in Western MA are you? I'm pretty much central MA. Only reason I went with them was because I went in there to check them out and saw the 9 and 45 versions there, but wanted a .40 and they said they could order one. Most of my business is done with R&R in Belchertown.

I'm in West Springfield\Agawam area. My local shops I frequent are Guns and Gun Part and Autosport, but I also run down to Riverview, just over the border in Ct. They have a really large inventory of anything gun related there.

I know of a PD that has 50 officers carrying them ( M&P 45) , including SWAT members. NEVER any problems with them. Great handgun in my opinion!!

I had an m&p .40 fs had a trigger done laser grip stippling etc, I shot the crap out of it over 2,000 rds never once had a malfunction,I left it dirty and tried to have it fail not a single problem, they are being used everywhere by law enforcement and military ,four seasons has sold more m&p's than any other gun to date,I did however trade mine for a 1911 but miss it and will buy another one .

I've got an M&P 45 and 9 full-size. The 45 I've had from brand new, Apex sear is the only mod, and probably 1k rounds through it with no issues.

The 9mm has a full Apex trigger kit in it, and was bought used with an unknown history. It had seen some use, at least 1k (maybe more). I've put 2500 through it. The only failures I've had is to replace a worn out mag catch that was releasing mags while firing, and a trigger assembly where the trigger safety spring had stopped working. Still like it.....

Figured that it was more than ten lbs [thinking]. My Dads got one he's going to get a 3.5 comp trigger kit for it. Besides that the 10 rd mags are kind of retarded, then again mass is so F'ed with there policies about firearms.

Mass spec is a "minimum 10.5lb" pull. I've heard of some M&P Mass spec triggers exceeding 13lbs. My M&P45 sucks to shoot, after two mags, my finger hurts. I just haven't gotten around to doing the trigger.

If I bought an MA M&P I would not fire a single shot through the gun until it has been repaired. Shooting the gun in its stock form is only going to make you develop bad muscle memory for a trigger nobody should ever use. [laugh]

-Mike

I just picked up an M&P45 with no thumb safety a couple days ago. I was expecting the trigger to be horrid. It wasn't great, and it was gritty, but it didn't feel super heavy. Granted, my first purchase for it was an APEX DCAEK trigger kit. [laugh]

Last edited:
If I bought an MA M&P I would not fire a single shot through the gun until it has been repaired. Shooting the gun in its stock form is only going to make you develop bad muscle memory for a trigger nobody should ever use. [laugh]

-Mike

Thankfully, I only have 40 rnds thru it and have since shelved it until I can get it to a smithy. [smile]
My Sig DA/SA is much nicer on the booger hook [thumbsup]

Fantastic! My Apex DCAEK kit came in the mail today for my M&P45. The install was very easy. I understand they want to recommend you go to a gunsmith for liability reasons, but a gunsmith is not needed for this. As long as you have some punches and an allen wrench set, you're good to go. Apex even has helpful video instructions on their youtube page.

The trigger is smooth, light and with a nice break. I can't comment on reliability yet, but from just a feel standpoint this lives up to the hype. If you're thinking about getting an M&P pistol, factor the cost of this kit into the price of the gun.

I owned an M&P 9mm full-size for a few months. Jam machine. Couldn't get 2 mags through without a jam. After 2 trips back to the factory, S&W took several "corrective measures", I thought it was fixed. But by now, I didn't even want to look at it. Sold it on consignment - again, I *thought* it was good. Well, it also jammed on the new owner. Long story short, I'm a lefty, so a friend moved the mag release to the right side. Well, the new owner finally moved it back and now, finally, no issues with the M&P. I thought this gun was a complete POS. Ends up, its just a POS for lefties.

Install the FSS trigger with the Competition springs and this gun becomes amazing. Brought my pull down from the 10+ pounds to 2.6 pounds and the travel is about 3.5mm before it breaks. The old trigger was 13mm.

Here's a pic of my first 6 shots, threw the first two getting used to the trigger and then put 4 basically in the same hole at 20ft.

View attachment 29274

-Mike

I bought a fs m&p 9mm for my first gun about a month ago. It's the first gun I've ever shot so I really only knew it was a bad trigger from these forums (and after I shot my friends g23). I am getting pretty good with the stock trigger but I was planning on getting the trigger done. From what you say, I am wrong in assuming that shooting with a heavy trigger you will be even better with shooting with a lighter trigger? I guess I looked at it as bench pressing 225lbs then going down to 135lbs. Excuse the novice question...

i did the trigger and had BEC put on a set of tru glow tritium ns and

its dam accurate, (thanks Lou) the only problem i have is getting in the

10th round, but you'll find the fix on you tube "M&P mag follower modification"

have at it.

Lou at Business End did a fantastic trigger job on my M&P. I'm a pretty novice shooter, but I can easily get good groups with the trigger just under 5 pounds. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not difficult to group shots at all. Hopefully with a little practice it just gets easier.

Back
Top Bottom