• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spare magazine, rounds forward or backward?

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
EDC I carry a spare magazine in a carrier OWB on my left (weak) side.

I have the mag inserted in the carrier with the cartridges facing backward, when I draw the mag I do so left hand palm towards my body, when its coming out I index my index finger on the top hollow point and thumb flat on the back surface of the mag, my arm arks straight up and toward the centerline of my body to meet the gun, which I hold slightly canted butt to the left, and then insert straight into the magwell; there is no twisting of my rest when coming up from the carrier. I slide my hand down the magazine as it is inserted and then rotate my wrist and tap the baseplate.

However a search of the web finds all these recommendations to have your magazine inserted in the carrier with the cartridges facing forward. Why?

The only way that would seem to work for my motor function would be if I continued to grab it palm in but rotated my wrist on the way to the gun, or if I tried grabbing it palm out but that is a non starter for a short mag like a P365XL and seems awkward in any case..

How do you guys set up your mag carriers for EDC and why.

Thanks.

🐯

Last edited:
when its coming out I index my index finger on the top hollow point and thumb flat on the back surface of the mag,
IMHO this is what is important. As @jct61765 wrote, practice both ways but continue to make sure your index finger is on the front of the mag/projectile. I learned and carry cartridges facing forward, when not carried in my pocket. Great question. Best of luck. Matt

Just a guy. No connection.

View: https://youtu.be/U9BEKqoiBXE?t=11

IMHO this is what is important. As @jct61765 wrote, practice both ways but continue to make sure your index finger is on the front of the mag/projectile. I learned and carry cartridges facing forward, when not carried in my pocket. Great question. Best of luck. Matt

Yeah he is essentially grabbing it palm out and then he is rotating his wrist as he comes to the gun. I find that awkward; although I have seen it advocated by numerous web folks.

🐯

I used to teach bullets always face forward until one of my students showed me he can reload just as fast bullets facing backwards. I could not but he could.

Now I teach that it doesn’t matter as long as you are 100% consistent

Last edited:

I do not want to tell anyone they are wrong, but what if the gentleman in the video is wounded in such a way that he must use his right hand in order to access his spare magazine. Where do I get these ideas. it all started in the service the second time we took apart our M16 rifles. We had to do it blind-folded. Think about throwing parts all over hell blind-folded and then finding them putting your weapon back together.

EDC I carry a spare magazine in a carrier OWB on my left (weak) side.

I have the mag inserted in the carrier with the cartridges facing backward, when I draw the mag I do so left hand palm towards my body, when its coming out I index my index finger on the top hollow point and thumb flat on the back surface of the mag, my arm arks straight up and toward the centerline of my body to meet the gun, which I hold slightly canted butt to the left, and then insert straight into the magwell; there is no twisting of my rest when coming up from the carrier. I slide my hand down the magazine as it is inserted and then rotate my wrist and tap the baseplate.

However a search of the web finds all these recommendations to have your magazine inserted in the carrier with the cartridges facing forward. Why?

The only way that would seem to work for my motor function would be if I continued to grab it palm in but rotated my wrist on the way to the gun, or if I tried grabbing it palm out but that is a non starter for a short mag like a P365XL and seems awkward in any case..

How do you guys set up your mag carriers for EDC and why.

Thanks.

🐯

Just stumbled across this.

I'm right-handed. Firearm on right hip or behind, depending upon owb or iwb. Mag carriers behind left hip, bullets facing rearward.

At almost every single match I've ever shot, someone feels it's important to let me know that my mags are "backwards". I smile, say "thanks", and keep moving.

In my case, I'm pretty sure it stems from my early carry days when I had a shoulder holster with spare mag pouches.

Bottom line for OP, is as others have said - go with what works for you. Whichever way it is - practice.

Just stumbled across this.

I'm right-handed. Firearm on right hip or behind, depending upon owb or iwb. Mag carriers behind left hip, bullets facing rearward.

At almost every single match I've ever shot, someone feels it's important to let me know that my mags are "backwards". I smile, say "thanks", and keep moving.

In my case, I'm pretty sure it stems from my early carry days when I had a shoulder holster with spare mag pouches.

Bottom line for OP, is as others have said - go with what works for you. Whichever way it is - practice.
but Practice other ways of retrieving that spare mag(your life may depend on it)

Back
Top Bottom