Proper Use of the Police Baton or Nightstick 1963

Vid is a fake. If it were a true LAPD vid on baton use the cop would be beating down a black man. That's the LAPD way...
LA County Sheriff was fine. Ventura County Sheriff where I grew up were awesome- they were reasonably tolerant of kids doing stupid sh!t and were true "protect and serve" types. I'm sure that they can no longer do this, but last time we had an (underage) kegger and bonfire at the beach they swung by and told us to leave by 1am and pick up our mess. We lamely tried to conceal the keg and they laughed at us. I don't recall them ever carrying sticks- probably left in the car. They did have big f-ing revolvers back then.

Regarding nightsticks, my best friend's Dad worked vice in downtown St. Louis during its crime heyday (yes even worse than now). Big, tall guy carrying a metal capped club about the size of a Little League bat. Said he rarely had to use it, as the intimidation factor was enough. NFW could cops carry something like that now. St. Louis PD were pretty professional, unlike the St. Charles PD a bit west of St. Louis. That department was filled with f#cktards and due to their liberal use of beat-downs with the sticks were not respected by other local PD's.

After AIT in 65-66 I went TDY to Fort Dix Military Police. Out nightclubs were made out of pine and we were only allowed to cary 3 rounds of .45 ACP. My patrol partner wasn't having it so we customized out sticks by hollowing the top 3rd of the stick and filling it with lead. The base was a pretty wild place and Wrighstown was like Chiraq.

After AIT in 65-66 I went TDY to Fort Dix Military Police. Out nightclubs were made out of pine and we were only allowed to cary 3 rounds of .45 ACP. My patrol partner wasn't having it so we customized out sticks by hollowing the top 3rd of the stick and filling it with lead. The base was a pretty wild place and Wrighstown was like Chiraq.
Pine? Half a step away from balsa, LOL.

My friend's Dad's stick was turned from Osage Orange, which is almost 25% denser than oak.

LA County Sheriff was fine. Ventura County Sheriff where I grew up were awesome- they were reasonably tolerant of kids doing stupid sh!t and were true "protect and serve" types. I'm sure that they can no longer do this, but last time we had an (underage) kegger and bonfire at the beach they swung by and told us to leave by 1am and pick up our mess. We lamely tried to conceal the keg and they laughed at us. I don't recall them ever carrying sticks- probably left in the car. They did have big f-ing revolvers back then.

Regarding nightsticks, my best friend's Dad worked vice in downtown St. Louis during its crime heyday (yes even worse than now). Big, tall guy carrying a metal capped club about the size of a Little League bat. Said he rarely had to use it, as the intimidation factor was enough. NFW could cops carry something like that now. St. Louis PD were pretty professional, unlike the St. Charles PD a bit west of St. Louis. That department was filled with f#cktards and due to their liberal use of beat-downs with the sticks were not respected by other local PD's.

Yeah, I grew up in LA County, but outside the city limits in an unincorporated area. So the Sheriffs were our LEOs. They never received the hate the LAPD did, even then.

One of the Rodney King beaters, Laurence Powell, lived a few blocks from my grandma, way up in the hills above my high school. We used to run past his house during cross country runs. These days, that house would have been getting firebombs and death threats.

Yeah, I grew up in LA County, but outside the city limits in an unincorporated area. So the Sheriffs were our LEOs. They never received the hate the LAPD did, even then.

One of the Rodney King beaters, Laurence Powell, lived a few blocks from my grandma, way up in the hills above my high school. We used to run past his house during cross country runs. These days, that house would have been getting firebombs and death threats.
I was in an unincorporated area in Ventura County, thus the Sheriffs Dept.

Back
Top Bottom