Smith & Wesson M&P semi-autos

From reading all this very interesting information...I have learned so much - gives me alot to consider and certainly helps me to make some educated choices. Thanks so much!!

In response to the OP, i disagree strongly that SW has done a disservice to MA residents. IMO, SW could have just said well F@#k MA we won't offer our pistols here at all. Instead of doing that, they modified the design and made it MA compliant. Sure they did it cheaply and with obviously a wide spec tolerance (presumably to keep costs low) and then offered the pistol for sale in this shithole state.

I do agree that it obviously needs a trigger job though...

Its heavy so you guys don't shoot yourselves.

Whether you have a gun in hand for Bullseye, plinking or defense, the object is to press the trigger and hit what you are aiming at. A very heavy trigger does not allow you to do that easily and often causes misses. A miss that hits the wrong person would be a horrible thing, even to consider.
OAR348 - Do you have any clue what you are talking about

BTW, sear blocks are in stock at a certain large national distributor that refuses to ship ammo or components to MA but that carries tons of accessories and parts.

Not the one (Edit: TWO) I was thinking of...

Is this all I would need to return my MA version into a 6-lb.-trigger version?
(Edit: found info on my own.....)

Last edited:
Whether you have a gun in hand for Bullseye, plinking or defense, the object is to press the trigger and hit what you are aiming at. A very heavy trigger does not allow you to do that easily and often causes misses. A miss that hits the wrong person would be a horrible thing, even to consider.
OAR348 - Do you have any clue what you are talking about

yeah, its the shooter not the gun.

Its heavy so you guys don't shoot yourselves.

WHAT
You are either joking or work for the AG.
The whole point of this post originally was the fact that the Ma compliant M&P from the factory has a very inconsistent trigger pull from one M&P to the Next, to the point where the trigger pull could be as great as 20lb. Making it not the greatest gun in the world to shoot and very difficult to shoot consistently. So tell us all how this is suppose to make the gun safer.

I own a M&P 9c I love it. I never had trigger work done on it and it is ma compliant my trigger actually feels more like 6.5 to 7.5lbs still a little high but I like the feel. I am not bad mouthing the M&P only want to know how a heavy trigger will help me not shoot myself?

Rcharnitsk
Great post. Thank you
I am not sure, but maybe the reason that he thinks a heavy pull is safer, is that if it is heavy enough we will not be able to press the trigger. He probably thinks that if we had to have trigger lock on all guns. at all times, in our homes we would be safer.
I could add to this list for a long time, so I will stop now.

Rcharnitsk
Great post. Thank you
I am not sure, but maybe the reason that he thinks a heavy pull is safer, is that if it is heavy enough we will not be able to press the trigger. He probably thinks that if we had to have trigger lock on all guns. at all times, in our homes we would be safer.
I could add to this list for a long time, so I will stop now.

Excellent, best story I can tell about his type of thinking (Not your Jim) is an IDPA night shoot I attended in NH.

On the sign up we were all asked to state the condition of our firearm when we arrived. Mine was loaded and holstered. Another Ma shooter had his locked in a container in the trunk of his car, another had a trigger lock on a gun in a locked case in his car and so on.

Stage 2 description: You are on your way to a shooting competition when you stop for gas. As you pump, you are accosted by an armed thug. Retrieve your firearm and neutralize the situation. Firearm must be in condition as stated on entry form.

get the picture?? Great stage. My loaded and holstered 2.5" 66-1 was king on that one [wink] Showing locks and locked containers as well as excessive trigger pulls do no one any good that counts.

RGS, while it may make a nice, idealistic lesson, the fact is that any of those people coming from MA who didn't have a ALP LTC were required by law to lock their handguns up and transport unloaded. Even after entering NH, those without an NR P/R License would still have had to transport unloaded. Yes, the law is dumb, but don't imply stupidity on the part of the MA gun owner who is trying to stay out of legal trouble.

RGS, while it may make a nice, idealistic lesson, the fact is that any of those people coming from MA who didn't have a ALP LTC were required by law to lock their handguns up and transport unloaded. Even after entering NH, those without an NR P/R License would still have had to transport unloaded. Yes, the law is dumb, but don't imply stupidity on the part of the MA gun owner who is trying to stay out of legal trouble.

Since it is Jim's topic and he was already off track, I will answer.

The as you said "Stupidity" in this is a trigger lock and not applying for and getting a carry permit in NH for one and for the law requiring the locked container.

Trigger locks are not required which would have made it easier on the Ma shooter who can not get the proper MA LTC ALP.

If you want to play, go by the rules. If you can make the rules easier on you, do it don't lay down and take it. If you go out of state, get the needed IDs to give you the fighting advantage or stay home locked in your room. On Topic, if you buy a firearm with a heavy MA trigger pull, have it fixed.

Last edited:
Except for the fact that NH seems to have stopped issuing NR LTCs to those with restricted MA LTCs. Not everyone has it as easy as you do.

OAR348
Thank you for that wonderful piece of wisdom
Do you have any more that you would care to share with us?

Yeah you guys have no sense of humor.

And I guess the J-frame revolvers are crappy carry guns since the trigger press on those is 10-13lbs.

But I guess S&W is a bunch of a**h***s for actually sending guns into the AG to be tested, especially considering it fixes most of the complaints that people had with glocks (no finger grooves, multiple backstraps, ect...)

OAR348
The AG does not test guns. They never have and they never will. All gun safey testing for the State gun Roster is done by nationally recognised testing labs.

Yeah you guys have no sense of humor.
Unless you include smilies, it can be very hard for the reader to see your sarcasm. If you've been around the internet for a while, then you surely realize that.
And I guess the J-frame revolvers are crappy carry guns since the trigger press on those is 10-13lbs.
I did trigger jobs on all three of my J-frames because I felt the trigger out of the box was completely unacceptable. I don't know why you would want to carry one with a 10+ lb trigger when a reliable 7-8 lbs is easily achievable with minor work.

Except for the fact that NH seems to have stopped issuing NR LTCs to those with restricted MA LTCs. Not everyone has it as easy as you do.

No one said it was easy. I EARNED everything thing I have including an unrestricted MA LTC and my NH carry permit with lots of years of proper training and experience. First LTC issued in 1972 for target and hunting. next one for protection of life and property in 1974 and unrestricted since.

Cool. Move to Boston and try to renew, let's see what happens. I very much doubt your training and experience will "earn" you an ALP here.

It's the system, not the shooter. If I could carry at all times, I probably would. But I can't do that by law (administrative rule?), and the principle that prevents me from ignoring the rules and doing it anyway is what seperates me from the gangbangers and drug dealers.

And just as an aside, NH did issue me the NR before they changed their policy.

Last edited:
Guys
Please try to stay some near the subject. In case any of you forgot, we were discussing M&Ps, triggers and trigger jobs, not MA and NH permits
Thanks

Burwell or Larocca has the 'tude?

Burwell is pretty much the gold standard for M&P trigger jobs. Larocca has a good rep on his work but I've never actually used him.

The M&P trigger with a Burwell Gunsmithing trigger job is the finest non-1911/revolver I have ever shot.

As I have stated here before, Dan Burwell does a great trigger job. He did 2 for me before anyone around here was doing them.

That said, I have seen and felt the work coming out of Gregg Derr's shop and would not hesitate to have him do the work. As matter of fact, when my 357SIG complete upper arrives, he will do the prep work to mate it to my 40 lower [wink]

Regards,

Where did you get the .357 upper? I've wanted to get one too just because I can...

Wouldn't a simple barrel swap do it?

And yes, when the M&P .45c comes out (or if I decide the full size is for me) then he'll be doing that one. Dan Burwell did a great job on my M&P40, but the $90 shipping roundtrip hurts.

Got an m&p 40c. got the trigger work done by Larocca. Love it, It shoots well. Reliability is great and good ergonomics. It's also my IDPA gun...

Hoe do you like my burger....?

Mike-Mike, about how much poundage did Larocca get your trigger down to? He answered a few of my questions via email but not that one.

He is fairly local for me so I don't need to go out of my way to get it to him. That is a huge plus.

Back
Top Bottom