• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson M&P semi-autos

Well I dropped my M&P9 off at LaRocca Gun works this morning. Mike said "Wow!, that's pretty bad" when her tried my stock trigger. He charges $125, I know Greg Derr does it for about half that. However, when I factored in the gas and my time driving to Marshfield vs Worcester I went with LaRocca.

FYI: If you are using a GPS or google maps his address is "51 Union St" NOT "51 Union Place". The building he is in "Union Place". Also, leave a trail of breadcrumbs when you enter the building, I got lost trying to find my way back out [grin].

Well I dropped my M&P9 off at LaRocca Gun works this morning. Mike said "Wow!, that's pretty bad" when her tried my stock trigger. He charges $125, I know Greg Derr does it for about half that. However, when I factored in the gas and my time driving to Marshfield vs Worcester I went with LaRocca.

FYI: If you are using a GPS or google maps his address is "51 Union St" NOT "51 Union Place". The building he is in "Union Place". Also, leave a trail of breadcrumbs when you enter the building, I got lost trying to find my way back out [grin].

EVERY stock MA compliant M&P trigger I've tried was lousy. After the trigger job, it becomes a completely different pistol. I like these post trigger-job M&P so much, I've (all but two) replaced my Glocks with them. Please give us a range report after you get it back.

I picked up my M&P9 from LaRocca Gun Works on Friday. I had the "trigger enhancement" done for $125. I put about 50 rounds through it Friday night. I then gave it a full workout by taking an NE Shooters defensive handgun 200 course over the weekend. I put an additional 550 rounds through it. It was like night and day! Both Jim Conway and Doug Robinson were impressed with it. I'd definitely do it again. I should have had him remove the magazine disconnect but it slipped my mind.

I had Dave Santurri do trigger jobs on both of my S&W MP's 9mm full frame & 9c, and they are excellent. I had them done before any rounds were put thru them, because of this thread and I could tell off they bat they had heavy pulls. If anybody is in the N. Attleboro area I would definitely recommend his work.

I picked up my M&P9 from LaRocca Gun Works on Friday. I had the "trigger enhancement" done for $125. I put about 50 rounds through it Friday night. I then gave it a full workout by taking an NE Shooters defensive handgun 200 course over the weekend. I put an additional 550 rounds through it. It was like night and day! Both Jim Conway and Doug Robinson were impressed with it. I'd definitely do it again. I should have had him remove the magazine disconnect but it slipped my mind.

Big ditto. Larocca did mine too and it's night and day. Biggest problem for me was re-training myself to shoot the lighter trigger! Took about 100 rounds to stop over-compensating [laugh]

Only complaint I had was he lubed the gun a little wetter then I usually keep it so I had to scrub the crap out of it after the shoot. I know, poor baby, right?

Hmmmm.....This looks like a worthwhile mod. I think I'll put a few more rounds through before getting it done though. Thanks for the feedback.

Dave Santurri took my M&P trigger from 10lb 11 ounces to 5lb 5 ounces this week. Went to the range yesterday and was very very happy with the trigger work. It's finally shooting like it should, sweet. [grin]

does any one have email and contact infos from those who did the work in your mp's? i want to send it in, but i'm unsure who i want to do it ahaha. you could say that i'm thinking about price wise... but you get what you pay for right?

If you dont mind, can you please jog down some of the contact info's here? I'd like give an email.

thanks

does any one have email and contact infos from those who did the work in your mp's? i want to send it in, but i'm unsure who i want to do it ahaha. you could say that i'm thinking about price wise... but you get what you pay for right?

If you dont mind, can you please jog down some of the contact info's here? I'd like give an email.

thanks

Where are you located? I seem to recall you are in Maine. If you are going to send it out of state Dan Burwell s supposed to be the M&P master. Unfortunately according to his website he's backlogged and no longer accepting new work until after October 5.

If you are in Mass or want to sent it to Mass check out this post

LaRocca did a great job on mine for $125. I've heard nothing but good things about Derr.

you're correct, i'm from maine. I have no problem shipping it out of state.

At first i thought 125 was way to steep for me, just for a trigger job. But if he's the only person who can perform a good job and if the gun satisfy me then that's all it matters. Other than that I'm just curious whats out there you know? just being open minded thats all. thank you for posting with the info's, i'll take a look into those guys. If there's more, please feel free to pm me with your info or what not, to keep this thread going about mp's not gun smiths.

- nick

The problem is that the extortionist rates charged by UPS/FedEx (air overnight) round-trip will exceed the cost of the work!

I know of 3 gunsmiths in MA with good reputations for this work, where I could drive to them and avoid the UPS/FedEx costs.

You might check to see if there are good gunsmiths in ME (or NH if you are nearby) with similar reputations for local work.

Failing that, I'd suggest investigating a local FFL to see if they would ship it USPS (01 FFLs can do this legally, others can't) and receive it for you for a fee that makes shipping it out financially feasible.

hmm, dang i didnt realize about the shipping costs. honestly that woulda been my first time to ship a fire arm in the mail.

Honestly i dont know about many gunsmiths around here in maine. I only know a few but they dont really specialize into handguns My grandpop is a gunsmith and he's the one who made/gave most of the rifles/shotguns that i have now. I asked him to see if he can do anything about my mp, and he said that he doesnt do hand guns any more and the mp's is new to him. Other than that i know several gun shops close to my home but havnt asked if they can do anything with the trigger yet. On thursday i'll be at kennebec guns and i'll have my mp with me. i'll ask julian to see if he can do anything or knows any one.

If you or any one has info on any one in maine who can get the job done, it'd be fantastic. I dont mind driving down to nh but it wont be a while untill i drive down south that far. :(

Another vote for Derr, I sent my 9mm M&P to get the trigger lightened, and it works great now. The way it came from the factory was basically unusable.

you're correct, i'm from maine. I have no problem shipping it out of state.

At first i thought 125 was way to steep for me, just for a trigger job. But if he's the only person who can perform a good job and if the gun satisfy me then that's all it matters. Other than that I'm just curious whats out there you know? just being open minded thats all. thank you for posting with the info's, i'll take a look into those guys. If there's more, please feel free to pm me with your info or what not, to keep this thread going about mp's not gun smiths.

- nick

Nick,

If you bought a non-Mass M&P (since you're in Maine) there shouldn't be any need to do the trigger job. The normal stiffness should wear off with use.

bob, thats the thing. i bought this mp 2nd handed and he never told me if it was non mass or not. I could live with the trigger but would be more happier to have it redone.

bob, thats the thing. i bought this mp 2nd handed and he never told me if it was non mass or not. I could live with the trigger but would be more happier to have it redone.

i'd say shoot another 500 rounds through and then consider it... chances are,you have a non-MA gun,..

if you go on: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/

you'll see a lot of free staters get trigger jobs as well.

Just to add, I contacted Mr. Derr and was told to expect a 1.5 week turnaround time or less, and $65 for the service, with an additional $5 for test ammo if you don't provide it to him yourself.

We just bought my wife her first pistol, a full-size M&P 9mm. We'll be dropping it off with him in the near future.

well....I took my, new to me,m&p 40c out with my sig .45 220....wow. we got 200 rounds threw each...and wow(again)
very different. the trigger on the M&P IS stiff, I agree, but I found after the 1st few rounds I was able to find the break point and then squeeze key holes out of it with some practice, @ 7yds/meters...21 ft...
the 220 is just smooth as silk and very low kick comparatively. Not bad for a NH built 08 220(rm), it does have an external extractor. no problems at all.
The M&P? just as fine handling...besides of course the obvious..size, weight etc.these did affect the kick and target reaq. but still, the M&P was able to hit, (I was able),50" center mass off hand. funny thing was/is of the 4 mags I got with it...2 engage the slide into battery and two dont, when inserted into the grip.?? not complianing. I think this is a feature.
less moves, right.
any way thats my $.02
cheers
thanks for having me.
bgml

If you had a choice of a gen3 Glock 17 or a free state M&P 9mm what would you choose?

M&P

let me elaborate:

i used to carry and M&P9c - loved it, but i wanted a little more capacity via glock 19 or 23. i ended up finding a glock 23. hides well, shoots good, plenty of parts, easy to work on ect... but it's just that, my CCW...

i traded my M&P9c for an M&P40 with my brother and i just can get over how comfortable the m&p is vs. the glock.

note: all my M&P's are or were neutred MA versions with 10 round magazines. if i was out of MA, Glock would NOT be part of my inventory as i find other guns more pleasant to hold and shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had a choice of a gen3 Glock 17 or a free state M&P 9mm what would you choose?

Interesting question. I've had just about every Glock made at one time or another and I thought nothing else could touch it. Loved 'em. Ugly, but accurate and completely reliable. The term "Glock Perfection" was well said and I didn't think anyone could build "a better mousetrap'. Then S&W came out with the M&P's. At first I thought it was an incredible gun with another Sigma-like shitty trigger that couldn't compete with Glock. When I read other posts about a trigger job, I thought I'd give it a try and had it done through Derr Precision. When I got it back, it completely changed my opinion about the S&W pistols, as a result, one-by one, I sold all but one of my Glocks.

FWIW, During the NES S&W tour, I asked about the MA-crippled trigger. They said that they had reports that it gets "better" over time/use, but they have no choice but deliver ten pound trigger pistols in MA. I have no experience with this breaking-in process, but there's a few NES posts that might confirm this.

So, do I prefer S&W M&P's over Glocks?
My answer would be, after a trigger job (even a free-state model), a definite YES.

Last edited:
I too love my M&P and feel its a great gun. Mine has a free state trigger. The only area I feel the M&P lacks is in the corrosion resistance of the magazines. My Dept has several M&P's in use and all are having issues with the finish on the magazines rusting. If Smith would make the mag Bodies out of stainless I could say the M&P is equal to the Glock in every way.

As an everyday sidearm/CCW, I would take the M&P over just about anything except perhaps a good 1911. The mag capacity does not concern me.

Thanks for the replys everyone.
I have a Glock 22 that is my SHTF gun, I wanted to get something in 9mm because of ammo availability. Being in NH I can have the 17+1 capability and the "free state" trigger, which from everything I have read isn't as bad as the MA compliant trigger, but could still use a tune up.

I'm just looking for something to stick in the safe for a rainy day and occasional trips to the range. Glocks are nice, but it is nice to have different stuff for range days just to make them more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom