SKS as an inexpensive apocalypse weapon?

my granddad was probably the last one of the generation i saw myself that was able just to put skies on, get a rifle and an axe and move whole family into forest and live of it in isolation. grandma knew all the mushrooms and plants and was able to collect eatable stuff from the forest - no one in my family can do it now, to know what is poisonous and what is not.

overall, these days, if anything happens and grocery stores will not have any food for at least 3-5 months, what will happen in all coastal areas like MA and south of us - it will not be survivable by most. by a 90% most, at least. fighting off hungry crowds you will run out of ammo in first 2-3 months, and what then? mine fields need mines and dynamite, where are you going to get it?

what will be - military will round up everybody into camps, men and boys will be conscripted, then women and kids in camps will die out of hunger, then it will be back to those who will hide away and survive up in vermont and deeper forests, but the forest is scarce resources wise and cannot sustain a lot of people for long.
Merry Christmas to you too!

what will be - military will round up everybody into camps, men and boys will be conscripted, then women and kids in camps will die out of hunger, then it will be back to those who will hide away and survive up in vermont and deeper forests, but the forest is scarce resources wise and cannot sustain a lot of people for long.
There will be no military after an apocalypse.
At least, not like we think of it today. The military relies on the civilian world for damn near every thing from food to clothing and ammo. If you don't have it, they won't have it.
Sure, they will make efforts to commandeer whatever wasn't incinerated, but that won't last long.

If it truly is an apocalypse everyone will be in the same situation.

There will be no military after an apocalypse.
At least, not like we think of it today. The military relies on the civilian world for damn near every thing from food to clothing and ammo. If you don't have it, they won't have it.
Sure, they will make efforts to commandeer whatever wasn't incinerated, but that won't last long.

If it truly is an apocalypse everyone will be in the same situation.
government acts as an any other living animal that is first of all cares about its own self-preservation, no matter the cost.
any family institute weakens the government as a normal male cares more about his own wife and kids - so the government needs to pull the male out of his family unit to make sure he will care about government tasks first - with a (very hypocritical) promise 'we will make sure your family will be ok'.

government acts as an any other living animal that is first of all cares about its own self-preservation, no matter the cost.
any family institute weakens the government as a normal male cares more about his own wife and kids - so the government needs to pull the male out of his family unit to make sure he will care about government tasks first - with a (very hypocritical) promise 'we will make sure your family will be ok'.
But in the event of a true apocalypse military installations and government sites will be primary targets. Even in a "limited engagement".
I have been in .gov fall out shelters. If somehow you survive the initial attack, the least of my worries would be the military.

Here your just talking about "individual movement techniques" or IMT as the infantry called it. Once you start learning about small unit tactics and OAKOC your going to really figure out that the type of tool you own (rifle) is probably only 20 percent of what matters to winning in small unit combat.
tell us all you know about small unit tactics,it be interesting to know, i only know a few, like the one where a few troops fire at enermy to keep them down and the rest run around and get em on the side. Or 2 group take turn where one shoot to cover for the other one to move up .or the vc jackalling trick, where a few lone scouts follow a bigger enermy group around, and snipe at em once everyfew days and run off.

tell us all you know about small unit tactics,it be interesting to know, i only know a few, like the one where a few troops fire at enermy to keep them down and the rest run around and get em on the side. Or 2 group take turn where one shoot to cover for the other one to move up .or the vc jackalling trick, where a few lone scouts follow a bigger enermy group around, and snipe at em once everyfew days and run off.

Read it cover to cover. Every leader in the army, regardless of grade, commissioning source, or branch, knows a healthy chunk of what used to be called FM7-8. it’s part of how they get evaluated at army schools.

Just find a copy of fm7-8 and read all you want.

Read it cover to cover. Every leader in the army, regardless of grade, commissioning source, or branch, knows a healthy chunk of what used to be called FM7-8. it’s part of how they get evaluated at army schools.
nice, ill be reading this on the beach, central vietnam,danang area, if the shtp ever come to the usa and i made it to the airplane on time lol. i hope who ever running the usa righ now know what they doing and do the best they can to keep the country from sliding into a civil war, war is no fun, i seen it.

happy holidays guys, eat drink and be merry .........

... I suppose when covid first hit and I purchased a few maverick 88’s for potential friends and family use, I was a skin flint fool. I should have just used those limited funds to start saving! I could have bought a little less than half of a Remington 1301!
You did good.
V6yT0yaH_400x400.jpg

He needs better compatriots, not cheaper rifles.
0fc.gif
Cheaper compatriots?
ARRL%20logo%20type_17_31.jpg

How long after soaking it in gasoline should I wait to shoot it?
Gasoline evaporates almost immediately from metal.
Yahbut residual platfomate makes the ammo last longer between magazine top-offs.

I have an aversion to filling large open tub of kerosene or gasoline in my garage lol
Get with the program.
tKqtSH3m8Fw_ZOMvGfjIF0xYgUva3W-l_EDWBtYqZdU.png

Even doing that outside what do I do with the contaminated fuel after?
Old recipe.
478b138cde484b26a7044dffd5566e48.jpg

The Germans almost won WWII with a five round bolt action from the prior century, after all. ...
And lots and lots of belt fed machine guns, and really good tanks, and the best Air Force in the world for a while.
LTFY.

Not to mention that .455 is probably the last thing that'll be on the shelves after the .223/9/x39/.308/45/38/357/303/22/10/etc gets panic-bought and/or looted. ..
All of our home appliances are 50Hz/230VAC,
Nobody here uses it,
so there's lots of 50Hz floating around for us to monopolize.

... if anyone grabs your gun you can shoot them with your backup while they try to figure out how to reload! (You share that advantage with the Colt SAA crew, although the average miscreant might not even be able to figure out how to shoot the Colt.)
If Alec Baldwin can figure it out, anyone can figure it out.

Its not. 99% of NES wouldn't make it the first month.

Don't take this the wrong way, but chances are you fall in that 99%.

If you know you would make it and are bad a**, send one of those SKS to get gold plated. B*tches will need to respect you.
Exactly, most of us will be dead in the first five minutes, even less for me if it involves any kind of running, but this is a fun exercise!

Exactly, most of us will be dead in the first five minutes, even less for me if it involves any kind of running, but this is a fun exercise!
So very true. But if you are lucky enough to survive the initial attack, I'll be damned if I am gonna be stuck with an SKS. I mean it's better than a sharp stick. but if I have to face the Mad Max mutants I want something in at least 308, magazine fed, with an ACOG and magnifier.
Might as well go out in style.

So very true. But if you are lucky enough to survive the initial attack, I'll be damned if I am gonna be stuck with an SKS. I mean it's better than a sharp stick. but if I have to face the Mad Max mutants I want something in at least 308, magazine fed, with an ACOG and magnifier.

View: https://youtu.be/9vnmugDJDWU

far to much shit.....

If you know you would make it and are bad a**, send one of those SKS to get gold plated. B*tches will need to respect you.
wife brought up this question once about "survival" if SHTF
I told her basically we are screwed all we can do is run,hide,fight,bite,crawl repeat , not necessarily in that order and see what happens.

the answer is very simple - you will not survive an engagement with a trained squad if an actual trained (para)military will come after you, ever.
what you may survive is an engagement with an untrained civilian crowd with pitchforks that may get scared of you shooting at them from a short distance. if they will not burn down you and your house first.

but speaking of surviving in any post-apocalyptic scenarios when gangs of trained individuals will start combing areas for resources - good luck with that pipe dream.

for the majority of us that is how the last chapter in the book of our lives will be written if SHTF. The best we can do is reconcile ourselves to the fact that the game is over and hope God gives us the strength to face it, perhaps taking one or two of them out with us.

That will be the reality of Go Time.

Realistically anyone who doesnt have/isn't part of some kind of a "tribe" of people is going to get smoked pretty fast if something goes full
retard. Of course the counter to that is odds of something only going partly retarded is more likely.

You can’t form a wagon circle with one wagon.

Realistically anyone who doesnt have/isn't part of some kind of a "tribe" of people is going to get smoked pretty fast if something goes full
retard. Of course the counter to that is odds of something only going partly retarded is more likely.

You can’t form a wagon circle with one wagon.
Exactly.

But the chances of society collapsing overnight and sh*t getting wild are lower than the chances of dying from Omicron.

At worse, the economy could collapse, think Great Depression style, maybe a little worse and even that didn't cause people to start murdering each others by the hundreds of thousands.

But in the event of a true apocalypse military installations and government sites will be primary targets. Even in a "limited engagement".
I have been in .gov fall out shelters. If somehow you survive the initial attack, the least of my worries would be the military.

Military gear isn't really ultra centralized. It's pretty much all over the place, although I suspect that is slowly ending as it's being consolidated. An example in MA being the MA National Guard HQ being moved from Milford (I think, I haven't been there in like 15+ years) to Hanscom. There was all sorts of shit in that old building in Milford, which is now in Hanscom, which is probably a target for some bad countries weapons.

But, looking back at all the armories in MA, a lot of that is off the beaten path.

The only thing that would be hard to get in bulk would be ammunition. I have no idea where they keep it or kept it. It would just sorta appear when we needed it for range use, as well as vintage 1970's explosive charges. I wonder where the hell that stuff came from. It was over 30 years old at the time we finally used it.

Exactly.

But the chances of society collapsing overnight and sh*t getting wild are lower than the chances of dying from Omicron.

At worse, the economy could collapse, think Great Depression style, maybe a little worse and even that didn't cause people to start murdering each others by the hundreds of thousands.
This has always been my theory. If there is a "crash" it'll be like being moved back to 1920s economy / lifestyle. Some subsistance living here and there......smaller economy.....not as many choices in stores etc. But having some guns and ammo will very usefull.....hunting.....self reliance and such.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom