SKS as an inexpensive apocalypse weapon?

Realistically anyone who doesnt have/isn't part of some kind of a "tribe" of people is going to get smoked pretty fast if something goes full retard. Of course the counter to that is odds of something only going partly retarded is more likely.

You can’t form a wagon circle with one wagon.
Then all the more reason to not show up on day 2 of the apocalypse 50lbs overweight, untrained, and holding an SKS. No one wants that guy on their team in gym class.

But if you guys all want to have a deafeatist outlook, I guess it’ll be up to me to repopulate New England.

Then all the more reason to not show up on day 2 of the apocalypse 50lbs overweight, untrained, and holding an SKS. No one wants that guy on their team in gym class.

But if you guys all want to have a deafeatist outlook, I guess it’ll be up to me to repopulate New England.
At least no ones killing you for your gear if you show up with an sks?

SKS is a great gun, but If you are really buying for a life or death situation, I think you could do better.

Last edited:
So very true. But if you are lucky enough to survive the initial attack, I'll be damned if I am gonna be stuck with an SKS. I mean it's better than a sharp stick. but if I have to face the Mad Max mutants I want something in at least 308, magazine fed, with an ACOG and magnifier.
Might as well go out in style.
In fairness, the SKS's are for my minions, as I want inexpensiveveness for standardization, available ammo, and reliability. And as I've mentioned, I don't want the minions armed as well as El Jefe.

Tribes need cooks, supply officers, comms people, builders, mechanics, etc, too. Lard types might not be suitable as fighters but they can do other stuff.

My point is that absent some kind of organization if something goes horribly off the rails you're pretty much done, with limited exceptions. It's not being defeatist to acknowledge reality instead if embracing some faggy pie in the sky teotwaki fantasy. Of course even given all of that and more likely reality is not something nearly that severe. Probability says more like "hurricane" or "ice storm" or "rolling blackouts" vs "total shit show".

You've got to let it go, man. You can't tell the future. You sold wisely and made a monster profit; you can't blame yourself for not making more.

I get what you're saying, but if I went through life dwelling on stuff like that, I'd be impossible to deal with. I'm already cranky enough.
True. On the other side of the equation, about 20 years ago I bought an unfired Winchester 9422 high grade with the coon & hound engraving for next to nothing. I keep it in the back of the safe in a silicone gun sock. It's still in factory new condition and it's done nothing but go up in value every year.
You lose some, you win some.

I have 4 in 30-30. I think people often underestimate how capable those rifles and the cartridge can be.
People here underestimate lots of cartridges. .22lr for example. My buddy was mad at a buck for eating his bushes years ago, and he tried to shoot it in the ass with a .22 SHORT just to scare it. He must have hit it right in the heart as the thing dropped stone dead. Full siized buck, .22 short. I mean that was a miracle shot, but still.

Exactly.

But the chances of society collapsing overnight and sh*t getting wild are lower than the chances of dying from Omicron.

At worse, the economy could collapse, think Great Depression style, maybe a little worse and even that didn't cause people to start murdering each others by the hundreds of thousands.
Would you say people are different now? How about America in general? I'm not saying a depression will turn to Mad Max. Genuine question.

In fairness, the SKS's are for my minions, as I want inexpensiveveness for standardization, available ammo, and reliability. And as I've mentioned, I don't want the minions armed as well as El Jefe.
If this is what you want then I would buy a 1/2 dozen 10/22’s and all the ammo and magazines I could. You would be standardized on a reliable platform. One of your minions shooting a threat would likely take that threat out of the game to be cared for. I read a story once about a man would would come to town every so often and buy a .22lr. Rifle and box of ammo. When someone asked what he was going to do with them he said he was going to give them to his neighbors to defend us against the coming war. Theorizing that you could shoot a threat with a .22 and they likely could would be taken out of the fight. And then possibly pick up a suitable gun from the battlefield.

Tribes need cooks, supply officers, comms people, builders, mechanics, etc, too. Lard types might not be suitable as fighters but they can do other stuff.

My point is that absent some kind of organization if something goes horribly off the rails you're pretty much done, with limited exceptions. It's not being defeatist to acknowledge reality instead if embracing some faggy pie in the sky teotwaki fantasy. Of course even given all of that and more likely reality is not something nearly that severe. Probability says more like "hurricane" or "ice storm" or "rolling blackouts" vs "total shit show".
Yup, but the first priority is security, which leads into the reality. Unless a group has enough people to supply two people(working shifts) for each sector of fire of your home/compound, then you’re just waiting to be overrun in the middle of the night without even a shot fired. Then you also need all the people supporting food, water, and other sustainment, probably in greater quantities than your defensive needs. Tooth to tail is usually a pretty lopsided ratio, even when you don’t factor in all the military specific supplies/repairs.

Just getting the bare minimum security aspect is a high bar for most. Which is where reality sinks in. Thankfully, such a scenario has a statistical 0% chance of happening and any likely scenarios could be met with just neighbors being neighborly and looking out for each other, as long as you have basic preparations and gardening abilities.

If this is what you want then I would buy a 1/2 dozen 10/22’s and all the ammo and magazines I could. You would be standardized on a reliable platform. One of your minions shooting a threat would likely take that threat out of the game to be cared for. I read a story once about a man would would come to town every so often and buy a .22lr. Rifle and box of ammo. When someone asked what he was going to do with them he said he was going to give them to his neighbors to defend us against the coming war. Theorizing that you could shoot a threat with a .22 and they likely could would be taken out of the fight. And then possibly pick up a suitable gun from the battlefield.

By that logic, a slingshot is a good platform too...

I'm starting to be slightly bothered by the OP's thinking here. In making sure the "minions" are undergunned while he stays "adequately gunned," he seems to be making the same kind of argument we hear from antis...:oops:

Would you say people are different now? How about America in general? I'm not saying a depression will turn to Mad Max. Genuine question.
I dont know, I can't tell how different people are.

I would assume it was a lot easier to get away with murder in the 30s, no DNA analysis, it wasn't full of cameras everywhere, people didn't carry cellphones that could be used to track them, no one could record them or call the PoPo instantly ... you could murder someone, leave a bunch of your blood on the scene and if the PoPo caught you a month later for some other crime, unless there was a witness they wouldn't know it was you.

Fingerprinting used in courts was also very new, I believe the first case was in 1911, I have nonidea how accurate the science was.

But, lets look at recent total economic collapse, like Argentina, Venezuela, Greece ...

In the cities, crime increased and it took governments a while to lower that, but at no point was it a run around, firebomb, build a trench around your house and start shooting situation.

Community defense needs are different than self/home defense needs when it comes to terminal ballistics. Self/home defense is generally very close and sudden, and you need to incapacitate the threat as quickly as possible. If you’re just worried about making some guy who’s a hundred yards away think twice or have to leave the area for medical treatment, 22lr isn’t terrible. Not great, but not terrible.

Last edited:
I personally don't plan on going down without a fight.

When the Bearcats roll up on my house, I intend to cropdust every room on the first floor, and then soil myself with reckless abandon.

I may not win... but they will remember me.

Me
snacks-lazy.gif

Youse guys
3nL9kH3.gif

I have 4 in 30-30. I think people often underestimate how capable those rifles and the cartridge can be.
I do not think the point here is a capability of a caliber or a weapon - it is a lack of a capability of an isolated family to survive, pretty much anything. For thousands of years humans settled as clans, for a reason. Family members, even if disagreeable at times, where still a singular fighting unit under a single leadership of elders. Modern way of life pulled that safety layer out completely.

I personally don't plan on going down without a fight.

When the Bearcats roll up on my house, I intend to cropdust every room on the first floor, and then soil myself with reckless abandon.

I may not win... but they will remember me.

Me
View attachment 556556

Youse guys
View attachment 556558
It was supposed to be the summer of Enbloc!

I do not think the point here is a capability of a caliber or a weapon - it is a lack of a capability of an isolated family to survive, pretty much anything. For thousands of years humans settled as clans, for a reason. Family members, even if disagreeable at times, where still a singular fighting unit under a single leadership of elders. Modern way of life pulled that safety layer out completely.
Of course, in hunter gatherer societies (not exactly what you are saying, but a clan based society), whether ancient or modern, about 10% of the population die violently (mainly murdered).

One can look at chimpanzee groups. The little ones that are mostly immediate family frequently have their territory raided by larger groups. The small groups either flee and have to find new territory or get killed.

Sks is not a bad gun, zero it at 20 yard and it good out to 250 yards,just that u need to buy a good supply of stripper clips 4 it, bxn clip,blk color after market clips not working good at all.and sks user need a wondernine as a back up, just incase bad guy get close.

Attachments

• 20211226_144051.jpg
    20211226_144051.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 16

Am I the only one trying to figure out if he's conceited or convinced?

Since this is NE, and you are a qualified operator, I am sure you already know an SKS is more than capable, there are barely any chances to shoot past 100 yards in New England, better to have something reliable that doesn't need cleaning and is more than capable of putting 30 shots in a human size target at 100 yards than a super tight gun that can get 1/4 MOA and needs very specific ammo or it jams.

But I am sure you already considered that, so I am confused why you wouldn't want someone with an SKS.

Since this is NE, and you are a qualified operator, I am sure you already know an SKS is more than capable, there are barely any chances to shoot past 100 yards in New England, better to have something reliable that doesn't need cleaning and is more than capable of putting 30 shots in a human size target at 100 yards than a super tight gun that can get 1/4 MOA and needs very specific ammo or it jams.

But I am sure you already considered that, so I am confused why you wouldn't want someone with an SKS.
Weird that OP is insistent that his "co-operators" arent armed as well as he is. Either you trust them in a fight and you want them well armed or you dont trust them and you dont want them armed at all. Its almost like he envisions having to defend himself from them at some point .

Weird that OP is insistent that his "co-operators" arent armed as well as he is. Either you trust them in a fight and you want them well armed or you dont trust them and you dont want them armed at all. Its almost like he envisions having to defend himself from them at some point .
LOL, the OP is fapping to a fantasy that will never happen.

LOL, the OP is fapping to a fantasy that will never happen.
Lets hope so. I can see encouraging friends to get themselves firearms and train with them, but i could think of a lot better ways to spend my money than buying a half dozen obsolete rifles for people I dont fully trust

Lets hope so. I can see encouraging friends to get themselves firearms and train with them, but i could think of a lot better ways to spend my money than buying a half dozen obsolete rifles for people I dont fully trust
I'm enjoying this (my) somewhat lighthearted imaginary post-'pocalyose thread. Those of you who aren't should probably avoid. If the only people who survive a an imaginary apocalypse are as humorless and literal-minded as those not enjoying this thread, I am not sure I would want to survive. But I think most people are enjoying this not quite serious look at the apocalypse and my inexpensive plots and plans that help me navigate the uncertainties and reversals of modern life.

Ok, now I’m drawing the line. I actually like SKSs, but anyone that converts one to take AK mags is definitely not welcome in my post-apocalyptic team!!!

See post 221...

Back
Top Bottom