• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS as an inexpensive apocalypse weapon?

It would take about one minute to explain to a non-gun person how to operate this thing.
First: very nice job cleaning and finishing those rifles.

Second: giving a gun to a non gun person in a stressful situation is a really bad idea. Think how bad that person would be at the range today, without any stress.

First: very nice job cleaning and finishing those rifles.

Second: giving a gun to a non gun person in a stressful situation is a really bad idea. Think how bad that person would be at the range today, without any stress.
That why they made shotgun😁,load em with buck and slug ( an excop told me that)

In due time. Post up target pix when you do... please.

You set on x39? Now's the time to buy...
Not really, these are my first two that shoot them. I bought a hundred rounds at the FFL i bought these at, but the cheapest they had was .65 per. But they had an s-ton of it, and five or six brands.
Someone else linked Wolf at .35, I will definitely stock up on some.
Mike

No shit huh🤣
Jesus Christ who is paying 65 cpr for x39!?

To be fair, maybe it was US brass cased gucci x39

but thats not meant for an sks

I bought 600-something rounds of Norma x39 on Black Friday and it was $0.5995 p/round. I bought it because I have a Zastava bolt action in x39. So whatever he bought is more expensive than Norma/RUAG. That's some expensive ammo.

I bought 600-something rounds of Norma x39 on Black Friday and it was $0.5995 p/round. I bought it because I have a Zastava bolt action in x39. So whatever he bought is more expensive than Norma/RUAG. That's some expensive ammo.
It was Red Army, white box. The prices on the different brands were between $13 and $19 (or so) for 20 round boxes. I was gonna ask if they had cases and a case price but the box prices seemed so high I didn't even bother (and only bought the 100 rounds to have something).

So true! A friend of a friend told me that that scoring line around the edges on the S&W magazine is actually cut all the way through. If you cut out the crimped area the magazine will literally fall in half. Looking at other magazines with 10 round limiters for MA approved firearms, Ruger appears to use a special made base that blocks out the bottom of the mag. The best bets I have seen are Canik and Tauris. My friend also said to be careful removing the base from a magazine locked in a vise. Firmly seating the magazine makes for greatly improved spring ballistics!

sks is a great choice as the magazine cost issue is moot. You can buy a bunch of stripper clips for pennies on the dollar. no need to spend hundreds on magazines.
I know, right? When I ordered my two I just assumed I was gonna put magazines on them, but decided not to bother due to both cost, and I have read magazines can be finicky on SKS's, or at least some mags.

A few decent SKS auctions ending soon (~20 hours). Price still seems low but I don't know if you'd get into a bidding war...Yes you do need to factor in the 20% internet premium to your bid

FWIW, if it was *me* building an arsenal, I'd probably find inexpensive bolt-action .223/5.56 rifles such as the Ruger Ranch rifle, Mossberg Patriot, etc. Mossberg MVP series takes AR mags which is an advantage.
Excellent suggestion! I think I reference those early on in the thread (can't quite remember). The only issue there is that those seem to be so desirable that I can't find them! The only ones I see in the secondary market appear to be ridiculously jacked up in price.

Excellent suggestion! I think I reference those early on in the thread (can't quite remember). The only issue there is that those seem to be so desirable that I can't find them! The only ones I see in the secondary market appear to be ridiculously jacked up in price.
They sell a lot of Savage Axis rifles at a good price point, often matched with a serviceable optic. Any of those on the market, new or secondary?

something like this Ruger including the scope with a buy it now price in the 7s doesn't seem outrageously rapey.

1641861184898.png

100% buy all the x39 you can right now.

For perspective, Wolf 308 was just 65cpr. Now you can't even find it for that.

x39 is a great caliber for SHTF
-gets you in the 30 cal door (great for hunting food)
-recoil manageable by most
-AK fanbois will barter a storm for it

Thanks. Problem I have is I got a Savage Axis II .30-06, new with scope, for $300, so just being greedy. Plus if I can get an SKS for $450 (or even $400, recently). But I already see gun prices coming down, getting squishy, so we'll see.

Thanks. Problem I have is I got a Savage Axis II .30-06, new with scope, for $300, so just being greedy. Plus if I can get an SKS for $450 (or even $400, recently). But I already see gun prices coming down, getting squishy, so we'll see.
My price point on rifles I am never gonna actually need is under $500!

$400 to $450 is a big part of the cost of an excellent training class that would give you way more skills than buying an SKS would. Buying a SKS teaches you how to degrease a gun covered in cosmoline and adjust a front and rear sight like its 1890. A class teaches you how to actually shoot and use a gun better.

Go to any class or match and count the SKSs there - you'll see precisely zero. There's a litany of reasons for that.

If you're actually serious about being prepared for a dangerous situation, spend your money on training and ammo, not milsurps. If you want to collect milsurps, then forget all the "apocalypse" nonsense. Stripper clips suck. Leaf rear sights are holdovers from massed volley fire at indigenous peoples with sharpened sticks and bows and arrows. 7.62x39 is going to slowly become another milsurp, niche cartridge, like 5.45x39 is already. Cheap Russian ammo kept 7.62x39 viable, but that's going away now.

Be honest with yourself - do you want to buy old guns or do you actually want to be better at using guns?

$400 to $450 is a big part of the cost of an excellent training class that would give you way more skills than buying an SKS would. Buying a SKS teaches you how to degrease a gun covered in cosmoline and adjust a front and rear sight like its 1890. A class teaches you how to actually shoot and use a gun better.

Go to any class or match and count the SKSs there - you'll see precisely zero. There's a litany of reasons for that.

If you're actually serious about being prepared for a dangerous situation, spend your money on training and ammo, not milsurps. If you want to collect milsurps, then forget all the "apocalypse" nonsense. Stripper clips suck. Leaf rear sights are holdovers from massed volley fire at indigenous peoples with sharpened sticks and bows and arrows. 7.62x39 is going to slowly become another milsurp, niche cartridge, like 5.45x39 is already. Cheap Russian ammo kept 7.62x39 viable, but that's going away now.

Be honest with yourself - do you want to buy old guns or do you actually want to be better at using guns?
Ive already established that this is more a thought exercise to keep me sane and dealing with a chaotic world out of my control, rather than actual doomsday prepping.

Back
Top Bottom