• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS as an inexpensive apocalypse weapon?

By that logic, a slingshot is a good platform too...

I'm starting to be slightly bothered by the OP's thinking here. In making sure the "minions" are undergunned while he stays "adequately gunned," he seems to be making the same kind of argument we hear from antis...:oops:
What? To send minions to maintain a security perimeter with a radius outside of their effective range but within yours? Sounds like a Dr. Evil and henchmen scenario, lol.

What? To send minions to maintain a security perimeter with a radius outside of their effective range but within yours? Sounds like a Dr. Evil and henchmen scenario, lol.

That was my initial thought, too... but subsequent posts have me wondering.

He might be better off arming them with Mosins.

... I would buy a 1/2 dozen 10/22’s and all the ammo and magazines I could. You would be standardized on a reliable platform.
OMG, try and teach a newb how to operate the bolt latch.

I'm starting to be slightly bothered by the OP's thinking here. In making sure the "minions" are undergunned while he stays "adequately gunned," he seems to be making the same kind of argument we hear from antis...:oops:
Haven't met his minions, have you?

LOL, the OP is fapping to a fantasy that will never happen.
First 15-20 seconds:

The OP might be on to something with the SKS. During the apocalypse people will probably ride horses again, best defense against horses is a bayonet wall. Make it a square to break the charge and defend all sides.

17b79d89aa450f9c3ed330754406c0ea.jpg

The OP might be on to something with the SKS. During the apocalypse people will probably ride horses again, best defense against horses is a bayonet wall. Make it a square to break the charge and defend all sides.

View attachment 557219
A 14' Macedonian Sarissa does the trick against horses, or infantry. Ask Alexander the 3rd. Course back then cavalry was used on the margins, and not as a primary arm.

A 14' Macedonian Sarissa does the trick against horses, or infantry. Ask Alexander the 3rd. Course back then cavalry was used on the margins, and not as a primary arm.
No need for 14' when a bayonet at the end of a musket will work. Ask the British at Waterloo.

Although, a musket with bayonet is not too far from 14'.

Not just there, either. It worked all over Europe, all the countries.

Needed discipline, though.
Must be scary AF sitting there waiting for a 600lb horse + the rider to ride straight at you.

Must be even scarier for the rider to see a wall of spikes that doesn't want to move and is shooting at you.

Must be scary AF sitting there waiting for a 600lb horse + the rider to ride straight at you.

Must be even scarier for the rider to see a wall of spikes that doesn't want to move and is shooting at you.

Yup. It only worked in armies that were well-led and carefully drilled in volley fire, with experienced officers who could estimate range. Squares were almost never defeated, unless...

Horses will not impact themselves against a spear wall.

This is true, but during the Peninsular War a French square broke when a mortally wounded horse was shot too close to the square. Its momentum carried it straight through, and the infantry was routed.

But yes. Horses will reliably refuse to charge a line of pikes or bayonets. Except in Hollywood, lol.

IMG_20220102_140942.jpg Just wanted to update on the two SKS's I bought, and received on NYE. Pictured above after I removed the Cosmoline, sanded, stained and varnished stocks (one was in worse shape, and I finished both a little differently). Very glad that I purchased. Took a bunch of effort, but I learned a lot about this rifle and firearms in general, taking apart, cleaning, etc. The end product is very rewarding. I feel personally invested in these now.

Haven't fired yet, but rifle feels very solid. The moving parts are in incredible shape, which given the use they have seen speaks to the strength of this design. I don't have stripper clips yet, but loading snapcaps from above is ridiculously idiot-proof. It cycles rounds beautifully. It would take about one minute to explain to a non-gun person how to operate this thing.

I'm not saying this equals an AR or anything but I really like these rifles.

View attachment 559300Just wanted to update on the two SKS's I bought, and received on NYE. Pictured above after I removed the Cosmoline, sanded, stained and varnished stocks (one was in worse shape, and I finished both a little differently). Very glad that I purchased. Took a bunch of effort, but I learned a lot about this rifle and firearms in general, taking apart, cleaning, etc. The end product is very rewarding. I feel personally invested in these now.

Haven't fired yet, but rifle feels very solid. The moving parts are in incredible shape, which given the use they have seen speaks to the strength of this design. I don't have stripper clips yet, but loading snapcaps from above is ridiculously idiot-proof. It cycles rounds beautifully. It would take about one minute to explain to a non-gun person how to operate this thing.

Nice choice with the t-56 spikers.

I took my SKS’s out on New Year’s Eve (day) and couldn’t shoot them for shit at 200yds because my eyesight is apparently getting old (but at least my dick still works for the time being) and the SKS front sight post just kept getting lost on the target (full size SR center w/6 o’clock hold).

You’ll see a Russian and a Yugoslavian coming up here shortly...let me know if you want to collect the whole set :)

View attachment 559300Just wanted to update on the two SKS's I bought, and received on NYE. Pictured above after I removed the Cosmoline, sanded, stained and varnished stocks (one was in worse shape, and I finished both a little differently). Very glad that I purchased. Took a bunch of effort, but I learned a lot about this rifle and firearms in general, taking apart, cleaning, etc. The end product is very rewarding. I feel personally invested in these now.

This one was the worst I ever got, but all moving parts after I removed cosmoline worked flawless.
Never stained I just dried it out

Attachments

• 067ECAC0-9687-475A-9194-0847BE3EAD6B.jpeg
    067ECAC0-9687-475A-9194-0847BE3EAD6B.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 15
Nice rifles Miguelito. Good work on refinishing the wood too. Do you have any "before" photos for reference on what they are shipping out?

I think if I ever got an SKS with solid, but truly ugly wood, I would try a flat-black or flat camo rattle can paint job.

Enjoy those carbines and train your minions well...

~Enbloc

This guy painted his with truck bed liner...

1641165797320.png

Nice rifles Miguelito. Good work on refinishing the wood too. Do you have any "before" photos for reference on what they are shipping out?

I think if I ever got an SKS with solid, but truly ugly wood, I would try a flat-black or flat camo rattle can paint job.

Enjoy those carbines and train your minions well...

~Enbloc

This guy painted his with truck bed liner...

View attachment 559414

Attachments

• IMG_20211231_145335.jpg
    IMG_20211231_145335.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211231_143030.jpg
    IMG_20211231_143030.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211231_143022.jpg
    IMG_20211231_143022.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211231_143017.jpg
    IMG_20211231_143017.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211231_143007.jpg
    IMG_20211231_143007.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 16
As I mentioned, they were coated in cosmoline, and one stock was scratched up pretty good, but that aside they were in great shape, considering their apparent age and usage. Both had almost all serial numbers matching, but I am no expert, so maybe all pieces were matching.

I was a little worried buying these sight unseen, but seller did not disappoint, especially considering they were also selling specifically identified SKS's for a bit more money.

In.

Back
Top Bottom