• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS as an inexpensive apocalypse weapon?

Looking for an inexpensive rifle so I can buy three or four and sock away for the apocalypse, to arm my minions with. I guess I can buy cosmoline coated SKS's for about $400. Want a common caliber. Was thinking either this or a short barrelled modern bolt-action (ideally in .223), but they seem hardish to find. M-1 carbines too expensive, as are AR's in the People's Republic. Also not sure I want my minions too well-armed. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm sort of kidding about the apocalypse. Sort of.

I picked up a couple peak pandemic pricing which was foolish. But I recently directed a friend towards this retailer who is selling them for 500 which is the best price I've seen in awhile.

View attachment 555303Speaking of which, here is the exit wound of a .22lr from 15 feet out of a micro-revolver. Minimally insulated steel door. Barely slowed it down. Surprised me a little.
Interesting. Food should be easier to kill in an apocalypse. But nice to know about the door

Looking for an inexpensive rifle so I can buy three or four and sock away for the apocalypse, to arm my minions with. I guess I can buy cosmoline coated SKS's for about $400. Want a common caliber. Was thinking either this or a short barrelled modern bolt-action (ideally in .223), but they seem hardish to find. M-1 carbines too expensive, as are AR's in the People's Republic. Also not sure I want my minions too well-armed. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm sort of kidding about the apocalypse. Sort of.
I've done this across multiple platforms... but did it years ago when SKS's were $179 each... and plentiful.

Not sure what I'd recommend these days except maybe something in pistol caliber.

Keeps your minions outgunned by distance while you rock a battle rifle...

1640224138449.png

Last edited:
Shotgun,they cheap. And 9mm handguns, lot of ammo.most people can not hit anythings with a rifle unless u teach em, and that take time and ammo
9mm is my handgun platform ammo. Started picking up mid-sized double-stacks. I figure come the apocalypse I can just Dremel out the crimps on the side of magazines and restore them to free state capacity. Not certain, but looks like it would work.

If you mean the modifying magazines I am just speculating. Come the apocalypse I don't think the authorities would care
actually, I meant functionality. If S&W dimples, I've never heard of a successful mod and you may just ruin some good functioning magazines, albeit low-cap.

Shotgun,they cheap. And 9mm handguns, lot of ammo.most people can not hit anythings with a rifle unless u teach em, and that take time and ammo
This is an excellent bit of advice...

Thanks! Eighteen left now. Christmas present to myself.
Last week I had a couple in my online cart for $399 at a different place, but when I went to buy today they were out of stock. And I think they had a lot of them, not certain.

When you get the rifles inspect the wood very carefully for cracks and splits. These old Type-56 rifles have seen a lot of action/abuse.

They don't have to be pretty, but solid is a necessity...

actually, I meant functionality. If S&W dimples, I've never heard of a successful mod and you may just ruin some good functioning magazines, albeit low-cap.
It’s actually a simple mod. I bought some 10 Rd cz75 mags off eBay and just drilled out the dimples. They run the same as the original 17 rounders because that’s how they started life before the dimples.

Damn. I paid $120 retail back in 99. Yikes!
Been to the grocery store lately? 😜
I inherited a 100 foot roll of NMS cable from my late father. It was from Grossman's and said $19.99. probably from the '80s. When last I bought NMS cable 6 or 8 years ago it was already $100.
Unless I suspect prices for a hard good I am interested in are very temporarily artificially inflated (perhaps used cars? not sure) I do not hesitate to buy at the moment as prices are going nowhere but up in the near and mid-term.

Back
Top Bottom