SKS as an inexpensive apocalypse weapon?

You mean shot group out of an sks? My Chinese one is fist sized at 100 yards lol. Not great at all......but minute of chest cavity out to 150 yards so good enough for its intended purpose.
The only ammo I ever shot that group much better than 4-5 moa through sks and AK
Was lapua and norma
Even hand loads out if the mini mauser was only 2 moa some times

You mean shot group out of an sks? My Chinese one is fist sized at 100 yards lol. Not great at all......but minute of chest cavity out to 150 yards so good enough for its intended purpose.
Way better than anyone else has claimed, what ammo are you using?

Its not. 99% of NES wouldn't make it the first month.

Don't take this the wrong way, but chances are you fall in that 99%.

If you know you would make it and are bad a**, send one of those SKS to get gold plated. B*tches will need to respect you.
If he was a bad ass he'd have a gold plated desert eagle.

Yes that's true about chatting about caliber etc....

But every now and then someone needs to inject a dose of reality into the fantasy.
I was/am one of those people living in fantasy land. Thought the hardware meant I was preparing for what ever may come. Then I took a couple of simple entry level carbine courses and was completely humbled. Just going from shooting in a lane at static targets @12’o’clock to running a sling and incorporating MINOR movements while shooting was eye opening. Then realizing how important communication is, and how hard it is when things get spicy. And this is all only paper targets that aren’t shooting back.

It made me realize how much training and education I need to actually feel confident in my ability to survive an engagement.

Also, to the OP, side note but related, it also made me realize how sketchy it would be to hand semi automatic rifles to completely untrained compatriots. If it came to it, I’d rather them be armed than un armed. But friendly fire and ND are real. I now make it a point to push anyone and everyone I care about to make it out to a range with me and get some trigger time.

I was/am one of those people living in fantasy land. Thought the hardware meant I was preparing for what ever may come. Then I took a couple of simple entry level carbine courses and was completely humbled. Just going from shooting in a lane at static targets @12’o’clock to running a sling and incorporating MINOR movements while shooting was eye opening. Then realizing how important communication is, and how hard it is when things get spicy. And this is all only paper targets that aren’t shooting back.

It made me realize how much training and education I need to actually feel confident in my ability to survive an engagement.

Also, to the OP, side note but related, it also made me realize how sketchy it would be to hand semi automatic rifles to completely untrained compatriots. If it came to it, I’d rather them be armed than un armed. But friendly fire and ND are real. I now make it a point to push anyone and everyone I care about to make it out to a range with me and get some trigger time.
Here your just talking about "individual movement techniques" or IMT as the infantry called it. Once you start learning about small unit tactics and OAKOC your going to really figure out that the type of tool you own (rifle) is probably only 20 percent of what matters to winning in small unit combat.

What's the OAKOC around that block house look like? You can have all the semi autos you want in your house....hell.....even crew served hardware......but if you encounter a group of folks that know what OAKOC is and how to employ it (and you have no idea what it is or have not prepared a defense based on it) your f***ed......even if they are running pos mosins. Belt fed hardware won't do shit if the enemy has dead space to maneuver in that'll get them within Molitof cocktail range of that crew. There is alot more to it than "I have belt fed and you don't so I win".

So many "preppers" focus on the "quality" rifle and think they can buy a high end AR.....sit in the front window and pick off hordes of city "bangers" invading the burbs one by one due to their superior fire power and marksmanship skills. It won't be like that. Not even f***ing close. If you don't know how to shoot, move, and communicate....all the high end semi autos in the world won't mean a damn thing.
😆 I still can’t believe that acronym got approved. And to think, some field grade probably got a nice OER bullet for the acronym change. I’ll always remember it as OCOKA though.

OAKOC is about as bad as the short lived Maneuver Advanced Non-Commissioned Officer Course (MANCOC).

😆 I still can’t believe that acronym got approved. And to think, some field grade probably got a nice OER bullet for the acronym change. I’ll always remember it as OCOKA though.

OAKOC is about as bad as the short lived Maneuver Advanced Non-Commissioned Officer Course (MANCOC).
We always called a "tactical exercise without troops" (tewt) a "practical exercise not involving soldiers"

I'll let you work that one out.

Here your just talking about "individual movement techniques" or IMT as the infantry called it. Once you start learning about small unit tactics and OAKOC your going to really figure out that the type of tool you own (rifle) is probably only 20 percent of what matters to winning in small unit combat.

100%. I have so much to learn.

What's the OAKOC around that block house look like? You can have all the semi autos you want in your house....hell.....even crew served hardware......but if you encounter a group of folks that know what OAKOC is and how to employ it (and you have no idea what it is or have not prepared a defense based on it) your f***ed......even if they are running pos mosins. Belt fed hardware won't do shit if the enemy has dead space to maneuver in that'll get them within Molitof cocktail range of that crew. There is alot more to it than "I have belt fed and you don't so I win".

So many "preppers" focus on the "quality" rifle and think they can buy a high end AR.....sit in the front window and pick off hordes of city "bangers" invading the burbs one by one due to their superior fire power and marksmanship skills. It won't be like that. Not even f***ing close. If you don't know how to shoot, move, and communicate....all the high end semi autos in the world won't mean a damn thing.
No idea what that means. My half-assed preparation for the apocalypse is built along the lines of the old joke about not needing to outrun the bear, just needing to be faster than others. I plan on being a very prickly target for the "bear".

No idea what that means. My half-assed preparation for the apocalypse is built along the lines of the old joke about not needing to outrun the bear, just needing to be faster than others. I plan on being a very prickly target for the "bear".
Stands for:

Obstacles,
Avenues of Approach,
Key Terrain,
Observation and Fields of Fire,
Cover and Concealment

In my experience for defense........cover and concealment is most important. Not your cover and concealment.....what the ground provides the enemy for cover and concealment......especially dead space (low lying ground that allows the enemy to maneuver undetected to mass troops against you with no way of applying suppressive fire on without and indirect fire weapon system). Dead space must be covered somehow.....even if it means moving a single man or small team to another position to observe it.....and apply fire to it if necessary.

Stands for:

Obstacles,
Avenues of Approach,
Key Terrain,
Observation and Fields of Fire,
Cover and Concealment

In my experience for defense........cover and concealment is most important. Not your cover and concealment.....what the ground provides the enemy for cover and concealment......especially dead space (low lying ground that allows the enemy to maneuver undetected to mass troops against you with no way of applying suppressive fire on without and indirect fire weapon system). Dead space must be covered somehow.....even if it means moving a single man or small team to another position to observe it.....and apply fire to it if necessary.
If I recall aright, the insurgents in Red Dawn didn't even know what flanking fire was, and they outfought the Red Army (with Cuban attaches), which had managed to invade the most well-armed country on earth using commercial airliners, like they did in Afghanistan.

to actually feel confident in my ability to survive an engagement
the answer is very simple - you will not survive an engagement with a trained squad if an actual trained (para)military will come after you, ever.
what you may survive is an engagement with an untrained civilian crowd with pitchforks that may get scared of you shooting at them from a short distance. if they will not burn down you and your house first.

but speaking of surviving in any post-apocalyptic scenarios when gangs of trained individuals will start combing areas for resources - good luck with that pipe dream.

the answer is very simple - you will not survive an engagement with a trained squad if an actual trained (para)military will come after you, ever.
what you may survive is an engagement with an untrained civilian crowd with pitchforks that may get scared of you shooting at them from a short distance. if they will not burn down you and your house first.

but speaking of surviving in any post-apocalyptic scenarios when gangs of trained individuals will start combing areas for resources - good luck with that pipe dream.

Gangs of trained individuals were, at one point, untrained just like me. Will I ever get the learned experience from seeing combat? No. Can I still work my way up the training ladder and eventually partake in force on force training? Lord willing, if the country doesn’t fall apart in the next couple of years, maybe.

Not saying that I wouldn’t get smoked right now, but I am saying that remaining untrained is a choice. And I’m choosing the alternative.

That's the one that goes through armor, right? Then the victim, the wall, and a tree outside?

Having not seen it in thirty five years, I would guess it has not aged well, but may be one of the last truly good farces. Hollywood doesn't seem to be able to make them anymore.
Who needs Hollywood farces when you have (the government response to) covid?

Unless you have an army at your disposal avoiding detection and conflict is the only hope of survival.

In that vein I would think that the best post apocalyptic defenses should be more along the land mine / booby trap variety. The idea is to make heading down your access trail dangerous enough that they look for easier pickings elsewhere rather than continue to take casualties, but it all has to be done well out of sight of your hideout. They must not be able to see the prize they are being deterred away from or it just might be shiny enough, or they might be hungry enough, to continue to push forward as they have an actual goal in sight. Might also not be a bad idea to have a burned out / destroyed cabin or encampment for them to find so if they do push through the mine field, they think that someone got in there and already cleaned it out and so leave the way they came to avoid triggering more booby traps.

I'd stay away from mounting heads on pikes or creating other overt "go away" signs along the access road because that indicates present occupancy, but a burned out, flipped over vehicle in the middle of the access road next to a mine crater, maybe with a decomposing corpse or two (or parts thereof which should be plentiful post apocalypse) is going to make them start wondering if whatever is at the end of the road is worth the price, especially if they see nothing but a burned out cabin in the distance.

Unless you have an army at your disposal avoiding detection and conflict is the only hope of survival.

In that vein I would think that the best post apocalyptic defenses should be more along the land mine / booby trap variety. The idea is to make heading down your access trail dangerous enough that they look for easier pickings elsewhere rather than continue to take casualties, but it all has to be done well out of sight of your hideout. They must not be able to see the prize they are being deterred away from or it just might be shiny enough, or they might be hungry enough, to continue to push forward as they have an actual goal in sight. Might also not be a bad idea to have a burned out / destroyed cabin or encampment for them to find so if they do push through the mine field, they think that someone got in there and already cleaned it out and so leave the way they came to avoid triggering more booby traps.

I'd stay away from mounting heads on pikes or creating other overt "go away" signs along the access road because that indicates present occupancy, but a burned out, flipped over vehicle in the middle of the access road next to a mine crater, maybe with a decomposing corpse or two (or parts thereof which should be plentiful post apocalypse) is going to make them start wondering if whatever is at the end of the road is worth the price, especially if they see nothing but a burned out cabin in the distance.
my granddad was probably the last one of the generation i saw myself that was able just to put skies on, get a rifle and an axe and move whole family into forest and live of it in isolation. grandma knew all the mushrooms and plants and was able to collect eatable stuff from the forest - no one in my family can do it now, to know what is poisonous and what is not.

overall, these days, if anything happens and grocery stores will not have any food for at least 3-5 months, what will happen in all coastal areas like MA and south of us - it will not be survivable by most. by a 90% most, at least. fighting off hungry crowds you will run out of ammo in first 2-3 months, and what then? mine fields need mines and dynamite, where are you going to get it?

what will be - military will round up everybody into camps, men and boys will be conscripted, then women and kids in camps will die out of hunger, then it will be back to those who will hide away and survive up in vermont and deeper forests, but the forest is scarce resources wise and cannot sustain a lot of people for long.

Last edited:
I am going to get so much sh*t for saying this and I actually hate the idea because they are so f*cking ugly (real operators operate with style) ... but, here we go ...

If you want cheap SHTF guns, get Hi-Points. You can still find them for $200 on Gun Broker.

Go to YouTube and watch the Demolition Ranch torture videos, the only way to destroy them is shooting them with other guns. The guy fills them with concrete, hammers bullets, puts metal bars through the barrels... and the Hi-Points work and don't blow up.

There, I said it.

Now you can all call me a fag. 🔥
I like carbines. Lot to be said for 9mm out of a rifle barrel, I am told plus it's widespread availability, standardization with my post apocalypse standard issue side-arm. Ammo cost over .22lr a bit of a downer, of course. I remember now why I went with Keltec Sub 2000 over Hipoint; it was partially limited space in my safe, but mainly it was to take Glock magazines (I have a couple of preban ones). Course I bought the wrong Sub 2000 for Glock mags... Maybe I will round out my fictional post apocalypse squad with a couple of HiPoints.

Back
Top Bottom