SKS as an inexpensive apocalypse weapon?

Are you trying to introduce reality to my post-apocalyptic fantasy? šŸ˜œ
Now that I think more on it, aesthetics are part of the appeal. I like the look of old wooden rifles, and they have a proven track record. There aren't any hundred year old polymer framed rifles around. Even the only AR I have is a pre-ban Colt stock Colt Sporter, 20", you know old school.

Back when those guns were like $89 this idea made sense but theyā€™re weirdo overpriced collector guns now.

Dude if you want an excuse to buy SKSes just do it, but donā€™t scam yourself into believing itā€™s practical. Do it because you want the guns, you donā€™t have to build an excuse around it. [laugh]

Now that I think more on it, aesthetics are part of the appeal. I like the look of old wooden rifles, and they have a proven track record. There aren't any hundred year old polymer framed rifles around. Even the only AR I have is a pre-ban Colt stock Colt Sporter, 20", you know old school.
If aesthetics are even a part of your consideration, I doubt your commitment to the apocalypse.
The correct answer is: a pile of AR's, a pallet of ammo, all the mags, and a pile of parts to make more.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=accEKtBebaU

If aesthetics are even a part of your consideration, I doubt your commitment to the apocalypse.
The correct answer is: a pile of AR's, a pallet of ammo, all the mags, and a pile of parts to make more.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=accEKtBebaU

Not gonna IMDB it but that's the lady who both gets blown up on the bus in Speed and has a bullet zip around her head in slo-mo in Wanted. She annoyed me in Speed and thus negatively impacts my enjoyment of that scene in Wanted by wrenching me out of my suspension of disbelief as I'm like, that's that chick who I didn't like in Speed who gets blown up on the bus.

Back when those guns were like $89 this idea made sense but theyā€™re weirdo overpriced collector guns now.

Dude if you want an excuse to buy SKSes just do it, but donā€™t scam yourself into believing itā€™s practical. Do it because you want the guns, you donā€™t have to build an excuse around it. [laugh]
You should be deeply troubled by the fact that you can read my mind. It is a scary place.

For Post-Apoc, I'll looking for an MRAP...

View attachment 555400
A police-action vehicle that nearly encapsulates the futility and pointlessness of getting bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan (both of which I initially supported, full disclosure). Would be great for the apocalypse, though, but for the mileage.

Not gonna IMDB it but that's the lady who both gets blown up on the bus in Speed and has a bullet zip around her head in slo-mo in Wanted. She annoyed me in Speed and thus negatively impacts my enjoyment of that scene in Wanted by wrenching me out of my suspension of disbelief as I'm like, that's that chick who I didn't like in Speed who gets blown up on the bus.
Hilarious I had the same thought when I saw that clip. I'm like oh it's that annoying bitch from Speed[laugh]

Man, I can't count how many times I've kicked myself in the ass for selling my Russian SKS, 1955 vintage, in the cosmoline, with a bunch of accessories and ammo.
I paid under $125 for it and sold it for $300.

That's like asking a 20 year old college grad for 15 years of experience. They will be around, plastic doesn't rust. Easy to fabricate replacements, same as wood.

Man, I can't count how many times I've kicked myself in the ass for selling my Russian SKS, 1955 vintage, in the cosmoline, with a bunch of accessories and ammo.

That's like asking a 20 year old college grad for 15 years of experience. They will be around, plastic doesn't rust. Easy to fabricate replacements, same as wood.
I was kind of joking there. In truth, though, I do not believe plastic will age as well as minimally cared for wood.

You've got to let it go, man. You can't tell the future. You sold wisely and made a monster profit; you can't blame yourself for not making more.

I get what you're saying, but if I went through life dwelling on stuff like that, I'd be impossible to deal with. I'm already cranky enough.

Donā€™t feel bad I sold 11 AKā€™s from 2017 to 2019 timeframe, I figure I probably cost myself a minimum of 5 grand not waiting till the panic gayness of 2020

Donā€™t feel bad I sold 11 AKā€™s from 2017 to 2019 timeframe, I figure I probably cost myself a minimum of 5 grand not waiting till the panic gayness of 2020
I remember, I almost bought one of them, but I couldnā€™t bring myself to pay $1k for a converted Saiga and you wouldnā€™t budge. Whoā€™s the dummy now? šŸ˜‚

You should be deeply troubled by the fact that you can read my mind. It is a scary place.
You're not the only one, people want to buy stupid guns always seem to want to make excuses or self validate/rationalize. It's much more mentally healthy to go "I realize this is stupid but I am buying it because i want itā€ and just accept that every gun buy doesnā€™t have to have a good reason. [laugh]. ā€œbecause i want itā€ is s good enough reason.

You're not the only one, people want to buy stupid guns always seem to want to make excuses or self validate/rationalize. It's much more mentally healthy to go "I realize this is stupid but I am buying it because i want itā€ and just accept that every gun buy doesnā€™t have to have a good reason. [laugh]. ā€œbecause i want itā€ is s good enough reason.
Hear hear!

My seven or eight obsolete Webleys approve this message.

Hilarious I had the same thought when I saw that clip. I'm like oh it's that annoying bitch from Speed[laugh]
this statement implies you've never seen Donnie Darko.
mrw-a-car-thats-been-following-me-on-the-highway-pulls-off-at-an-exit-58122.gif

In ops fantasy he wants cheap sks`s.
True about the fantasy. šŸ™„

But shotgun ammo is not cheap, and is heavy and takes up a lot of space.

And I disagree completely about rifle accuracy. Most normal humans could hit the center of a bullseye from 25 yards with a rifle after five rounds. Certainly from a prone position. Do you really disagree? Rifles are incredibly accurate.

Looking for an inexpensive rifle so I can buy three or four and sock away for the apocalypse, to arm my minions with. I guess I can buy cosmoline coated SKS's for about $400. Want a common caliber. Was thinking either this or a short barrelled modern bolt-action (ideally in .223), but they seem hardish to find. M-1 carbines too expensive, as are AR's in the People's Republic. Also not sure I want my minions too well-armed. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm sort of kidding about the apocalypse. Sort of.
You are like 7 to 10 years late to the $400 SKS.

I am going to get so much sh*t for saying this and I actually hate the idea because they are so f*cking ugly (real operators operate with style) ... but, here we go ...

If you want cheap SHTF guns, get Hi-Points. You can still find them for $200 on Gun Broker.

Go to YouTube and watch the Demolition Ranch torture videos, the only way to destroy them is shooting them with other guns. The guy fills them with concrete, hammers bullets, puts metal bars through the barrels... and the Hi-Points work and don't blow up.

There, I said it.

Now you can all call me a fag. šŸ”„

I mean there are other fees involved, and they are surplus, but I just bought two online for $450 per. Could have bought last week for $399 (though I am not 100% they would have delivered to Mass).
I saw those links. Looks like the condition is not horrible, but is not great. I guess for your needs they are perfect.

A few years ago, they had them at the same price but looked like they were brand new.

Back
Top Bottom