SKS as an inexpensive apocalypse weapon?

I am going to get so much sh*t for saying this and I actually hate the idea because they are so f*cking ugly (real operators operate with style) ... but, here we go ...

If you want cheap SHTF guns, get Hi-Points. You can still find them for $200 on Gun Broker.

Go to YouTube and watch the Demolition Ranch torture videos, the only way to destroy them is shooting them with other guns. The guy fills them with concrete, hammers bullets, puts metal bars through the barrels... and the Hi-Points work and don't blow up.

There, I said it.

Now you can all call me a fag. 🔥
Same with Maverick 88's. People want them to fail but its hard to find bad reviews considering the price

If you find 400 dollar sks's I'll take a dozen
I remember when I paid $500 for an AK. Tip me also.

OP, I think 7.62 is common enough that you will still find it in civilian hands. However if things actually get that bad, 5.56 will be more abundant than it is today with all those rifles laying on the ground

I am going to get so much sh*t for saying this and I actually hate the idea because they are so f*cking ugly (real operators operate with style) ... but, here we go ...

If you want cheap SHTF guns, get Hi-Points. You can still find them for $200 on Gun Broker.

Go to YouTube and watch the Demolition Ranch torture videos, the only way to destroy them is shooting them with other guns. The guy fills them with concrete, hammers bullets, puts metal bars through the barrels... and the Hi-Points work and don't blow up.

There, I said it.

Now you can all call me a fag. 🔥
Only in 40 cal bro

366DCFFE-4D11-4892-8316-9E3A333D2EEA.jpeg

… The Germans almost won WWII with a five round bolt action from the prior century, after all. There's a lot to be said for bolt action if re-supply and ammo are an issue.

And lots and lots of belt fed machine guns, and really good tanks, and the best Air Force in the world for a while.

And lots and lots of belt fed machine guns, and really good tanks, and the best Air Force in the world for a while.
Of course I over-simplified. But you don't mention the God of Battle in your corrective? For shame. Though the Stuka was nothing more or less than a very accurate heavy artillery piece.

Yeah, but I think @Miguelito already has all that...

I mean, don't we all?
Ha! I draw the line at acquiring a belt-fed (because semi-auto). Yeah, the sustained rate of fire is desirable even semi-auto, but by the time armed-gangs decide that assaulting my block-house bristling with semi-autos is worth it, true military-grade weapons will have become available to any survivors left, so I can acquire a SAW or an M-60, what have you. Plus a 30-06 with a scope should be able to defeat a semi-auto Browning .30 cal, with a little covering fire. I hope.

And a good strategy and fighting against countries that were not prepared. 250K+ soldiers had to be rescued at Dunkirk.

The answer to any question that includes the word apocalypse is .308
".308 is useless get the 300 win mag"

Oh hey my 6.5 grendel reached that dude lobbing 308s at me first

308s dont clear a house like 6.8s

Your right 308 is applicable in the writing of apocolypse phrases

Hear hear!

My seven or eight obsolete Webleys approve this message.
Not to mention that .455 is probably the last thing that'll be on the shelves after the .223/9/x39/.308/45/38/357/303/22/10/etc gets panic-bought and/or looted. Also if anyone grabs your gun you can shoot them with your backup while they try to figure out how to reload! (You share that advantage with the Colt SAA crew, although the average miscreant might not even be able to figure out how to shoot the Colt.)

Not to mention that .455 is probably the last thing that'll be on the shelves after the .223/9/x39/.308/45/38/357/303/22/10/etc gets panic-bought and/or looted. Also if anyone grabs your gun you can shoot them with your backup while they try to figure out how to reload! (You share that advantage with the Colt SAA crew, although the average miscreant might not even be able to figure out how to shoot the Colt.)

LOL!

I've seen .455 on a store shelf precisely one time in my life: two boxes of Hornady, which I picked up. That round was the one that got me into reloading... because there was no other choice! My Webleys are NOT on the SHTF list.

The SKS idea was a good one a couple of years ago but not anymore. The last ones I saw were at Cabelas and were as expensive as an M1 carbine.

Ha! I draw the line at acquiring a belt-fed (because semi-auto). Yeah, the sustained rate of fire is desirable even semi-auto, but by the time armed-gangs decide that assaulting my block-house bristling with semi-autos is worth it, true military-grade weapons will have become available to any survivors left, so I can acquire a SAW or an M-60, what have you. Plus a 30-06 with a scope should be able to defeat a semi-auto Browning .30 cal, with a little covering fire. I hope.
What's the OAKOC around that block house look like? You can have all the semi autos you want in your house....hell.....even crew served hardware......but if you encounter a group of folks that know what OAKOC is and how to employ it (and you have no idea what it is or have not prepared a defense based on it) your f***ed......even if they are running pos mosins. Belt fed hardware won't do shit if the enemy has dead space to maneuver in that'll get them within Molitof cocktail range of that crew. There is alot more to it than "I have belt fed and you don't so I win".

So many "preppers" focus on the "quality" rifle and think they can buy a high end AR.....sit in the front window and pick off hordes of city "bangers" invading the burbs one by one due to their superior fire power and marksmanship skills. It won't be like that. Not even f***ing close. If you don't know how to shoot, move, and communicate....all the high end semi autos in the world won't mean a damn thing.

Last edited:
What's the OAKOC around that block house look like? You can have all the semi autos you want in your house.....but if you encounter a group of folks that know what OAKOC is and how to employ it (and you have no idea what it is or have not prepared a defense based on it) your f***ed......even if they are running pos mosins.

This is an excellent point... but you don't have to sound like such an OAKOCsucker. [rofl]

Kidding. METT-T FTW. OTOH, chatting about caliber WRT HD is far more exciting than figuring out how to cover your deadspace on your sector sketches. Lol.

Jargon is fun!

So what are people getting for five shot groups at 100 yards?

While working as a RSO at Braintree, two dudes showed up with new-to-them rifles and import ammo. They couldn’t get a tight enough group at 100 yards to zero.

My understanding is the muzzle crown on many of these rifles is not in good shape. And that U.S. made ammo is much better.

This is an excellent point... but you don't have to sound like such an OAKOCsucker. [rofl]

Kidding. METT-T FTW. OTOH, chatting about caliber WRT HD is far more exciting than figuring out how to cover your deadspace on your sector sketches. Lol.

Jargon is fun!
Yes that's true about chatting about caliber etc....

But every now and then someone needs to inject a dose of reality into the fantasy.

So what are people getting for five shot groups at 100 yards?

While working as a RSO at Braintree, two dudes showed up with new-to-them rifles and import ammo. They couldn’t get a tight enough group at 100 yards to zero.

My understanding is the muzzle crown on many of these rifles is not in good shape. And that U.S. made ammo is much better.
You mean shot group out of an sks? My Chinese one is fist sized at 100 yards lol. Not great at all......but minute of chest cavity out to 150 yards so good enough for its intended purpose.

Back
Top Bottom