SKS as an inexpensive apocalypse weapon?

It’s actually a simple mod. I bought some 10 Rd cz75 mags off eBay and just drilled out the dimples. They run the same as the original 17 rounders because that’s how they started life before the dimples.
Yes. Simple on many magazines. I was commenting on if they are the steel S&W 10 round mags, they are a bitch to mod and have it function well. Plus S&W's dimples are so long they would leave you with a magazine that would be structurally unsound. And oddly, the dimples are where there is a seam...

1640226198243.png

Yes. Simple on many magazines. I was commenting on if they are the steel S&W 10 round mags, they are a bitch to mod and have it function well. Plus S&W's dimples are so long they would leave you with a magazine that would be structurally unsound. And oddly, the dimples are where there is a seam...

View attachment 555327
Ah that’s a lot different. Never seen a slot like that.
“Mid sized double stacks”... we’re guessing here.

Last edited:
Been to the grocery store lately? 😜
I inherited a 100 foot roll of NMS cable from my late father. It was from Grossman's and said $19.99. probably from the '80s. When last I bought NMS cable 6 or 8 years ago it was already $100.
Unless I suspect prices for a hard good I am interested in are very temporarily artificially inflated (perhaps used cars? not sure) I do not hesitate to buy at the moment as prices are going nowhere but up in the near and mid-term.

Yep. Never let money get in the way of your goals. There is always some way of working through it...

Ah that’s a lot different. Never seen a slot like that.
It is horrendous. S&W was very serious about 10-rounders staying 10-rounders...

Here's a SD9 mag with a better view of the seam.

1640226584554.png

Looking for an inexpensive rifle so I can buy three or four and sock away for the apocalypse, to arm my minions with. I guess I can buy cosmoline coated SKS's for about $400. Want a common caliber. Was thinking either this or a short barrelled modern bolt-action (ideally in .223), but they seem hardish to find. M-1 carbines too expensive, as are AR's in the People's Republic. Also not sure I want my minions too well-armed. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm sort of kidding about the apocalypse. Sort of.
Avoid the duck mag versions. Box mags and strippers are your way.

Funny, my sks is the first rifle I would grab if I had only one. I live my ARs, but that darn SKS is just comfy. Now that I put a real box mag on it. Mine came with the duck billed mags, and never worked right. (couldn't load first round. Was always okay after. )

If you do the cosomline route, make extra sure to get it ALL out of the bolt.

I didn't manage that, and .. well.. the FHP officer who was a few stalls down came over to ask if things were OK when I had a little slamfire experience. The tri-lobe firing pin is pretty easy to stick if it's full of goo.

Are you guys serious? An fn sks is going for North of $400? $500?

I clicked on this thread cause I was thinking about getting rid of my Chinese sks with 20rd internal commie star mag. Wanted to see how the water felt.. Ima have to check gun broker now

It is horrendous. S&W was very serious about 10-rounders staying 10-rounders...

Here's a SD9 mag with a better view of the seam.

View attachment 555328
I think what I would try with those would be take a Dremel with a rotary blade, or half moon, and cut a hole right up the middle line of the crimp, then use a chisel to pry out the edges flush. They would probably touch and lend some structural support. But yeah, not ideal. But 'pocalypse, so whatever works.

I know when I’m thinking about preparing for the collapse of society I think about how I can save on guns.

To be fair he’s not talking about his personal trusted duty rifle. He’s talking about how to arm the greatest number of his compatriots in a shtf scenario with effective weapons on presumably a fixed budget. If I can spend YOUR money, believe me, I’d happily buy crates of AK’s and AR’s and the like. I suppose when covid first hit and I purchased a few maverick 88’s for potential friends and family use, I was a skin flint fool. I should have just used those limited funds to start saving! I could have bought a little less than half of a Remington 1301!

I think what I would try with those would be take a Dremel with a rotary blade, or half moon, and cut a hole right up the middle line of the crimp, then use a chisel to pry out the edges flush. They would probably touch and lend some structural support. But yeah, not ideal. But 'pocalypse, so whatever works.

1640228053934.png

To be fair he’s not talking about his personal trusted duty rifle. He’s talking about how to arm the greatest number of his compatriots in a shtf scenario with effective weapons on presumably a fixed budget. If I can spend YOUR money, believe me, I’d happily buy crates of AK’s and AR’s and the like. I suppose when covid first hit and I purchased a few maverick 88’s for potential friends and family use, I was a skin flint fool. I should have just used those limited funds to start saving! I could have bought a little less than half of a Remington 1301!

1640228171663.png

He needs better compatriots, not cheaper rifles.

He needs better compatriots, not cheaper rifles.
0fc.gif

In your apocalyptic world think about having to scavenge for ammo, x39 is definitely popular but I think you would have better luck finding .223/5.56 and 9mm. Just my two bits but that would play a big part in my choices.

Nice thing about SKS's is they just work, so there is that.
Yep. Stopped by Cabasspro in Hudson today. Zero x39, beaucoup .223- tons of it in fact. No 22LR but they did have 9mm which is pretty close to 22LR. [devil]

With the end of Russian ammo imports, 7.62x39 is slowly going to become more expensive to shoot and stockpile. There'll be cheap ammo from other sources, like Igman, Mesko, Belom, and PPU, but they won't be as cheap as steel cased Russian ammo was. And those countries aren't historically stable or friendly with the US to be regarded as consistent trade partners. For example, PPU ammo used to be imported during the Yugoslav era through a gun shop in Connecticut - until the Balkan wars broke out. Poland is a NATO member but we haven't seen *new, not surplus* Polish guns or ammo being imported until very recently.

The cheap 7.62x39 ammo currently on the market is Yugo M67 corrosive surplus. It'll work fine, but corrosive ammo and untrained shooters usually result in rusted guns. This is a problem if you're shopping for Yugo SKSs, which tend to be on the lower end, though more expensive than the current batches of Chinese ones.

Rather than wasting money on buying guns and ammo for your "friends", you and your friends should take tactical classes together and invest in communications and night vision systems.

Looking for an inexpensive rifle so I can buy three or four and sock away for the apocalypse, to arm my minions with. I guess I can buy cosmoline coated SKS's for about $400. Want a common caliber. Was thinking either this or a short barrelled modern bolt-action (ideally in .223), but they seem hardish to find. M-1 carbines too expensive, as are AR's in the People's Republic. Also not sure I want my minions too well-armed. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm sort of kidding about the apocalypse. Sort of.
For an apocalypse you would be way better with a good quality crossbow.

As of rifles- for shtf you need a caliber that your local military uses and stockpiles - means 5.56 and .308, but, in a real shtf scenario all ammo will be out rather quick.

Depends on your vision of the apocalypse. If you envision having to protect your neighborhood from the urban dwellers of protected classes who want to pillage your home when the subsidy checks end, then a SKS is probably a good choice. If the apocalypse is swat teams in body armor and MRAP vehicles coming to remove you for wrongthink or the almighty government using helicopters and drones to eliminate pockets of unvaxxed citizens, you may need something with a better rate of fire and a prayer.

In your apocalyptic world think about having to scavenge for ammo, x39 is definitely popular but I think you would have better luck finding .223/5.56 and 9mm. Just my two bits but that would play a big part in my choices.

Nice thing about SKS's is they just work, so there is that.
Well that’s why you stockpile x39 ammo now. Plentiful at 35 cpr from TSUSA

I might rather die than have to clean cosmoline off a rifle after the apocalypse starts.
Heard this comment a million times. I've de cosmolined many Russian long guns. Fill a Rubbermaid container with boiling water......strip the rifle down and toss all the parts (except wood) in the boiling water. Cosmoline melts and floats to the surface. Use an oven glove to hold the barrel muzzle down and a ladle to pour hot water down the bore. Remove all the parts.....lightly oil everything and re assemble. Use a hair dryer and a rag on the wood. Total time for an sks is about 45 minutes start to finish.

you could build an AR for less in this day and age, granted you have to work around Mauras BS but it cN be done
This too.
Buy a lower then go buy complete upper from bear creek arsenal (far from high quality but neither is a beat up cosmoline covered SKS 😂)
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/tpnes’-indigenous-peoples-day-lower-sale-all-prices-reduced.418645/

Could probably build an AR for under $600 if not using an optic

Heard this comment a million times. I've de cosmolined many Russian long guns. Fill a Rubbermaid container with boiling water......strip the rifle down and toss all the parts (except wood) in the boiling water. Cosmoline melts and floats to the surface. Use an oven glove to hold the barrel muzzle down and a ladle to pour hot water down the bore. Remove all the parts.....lightly oil everything and re assemble. Use a hair dryer and a rag on the wood. Total time for an sks is about 45 minutes start to finish.
Throw it in kerosene was the usual way.
5 minutes.
Regular gasoline should be same. Much easier than bath of boiling water.

Back
Top Bottom