Simple Saiga Conversion 7.62x39 (Warning Pic Heavy)

Quick drying spray paint. Simple as that. I am not sure if it was car body paint or just general touch-up but it was dry in 5 minutes or so.

Ray. When reusing the stock trigger guard I'm assuming I'll have to drill a new hole on the end of the guard where it tucks under the mag release. Also into the reciever. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Ray. When reusing the stock trigger guard I'm assuming I'll have to drill a new hole on the end of the guard where it tucks under the mag release. Also into the reciever. Is that correct?

I usually tuck the end with the spotweld under the mag release and don't drill a hole. There is a rivet that gets knocked out that will accept a screw and nut and is hidden with the pistol grip.

Thanks Ray. I had a little setback also. Broke the tap off doing the trunnion threading. Took a while but I was able to get it out. Gotta retap it though.

Thanks Ray. I had a little setback also. Broke the tap off doing the trunnion threading. Took a while but I was able to get it out. Gotta retap it though.

If it was a 6-32 and the hole is too f'ed up, you can always go 8-32. Just use a good drill/tap combo, go slow and use lots of cuitting fluid, and avoid anything made by Craftsman.

Are you using a T handle for the tap, or chucking it into a drill? I've seen guys on Youtube chuck the tap into a drill, and it makes me cringe.

I used the drill and tap that came with the bullet guide, and I have an inexpensive T handle that I had from my model airplane building days. I don't think it's possible to break the tap with that setup.

Good luck

When I do a conversion at home I like to use a drill press and turn the chuck by hand to start the tap. It keeps the receiver steady and gets the first threads straight as everything is still in line from when I drilled the trunnion hole.

The method is still the same, bite in with the tap, back off a 1/4 turn, another drop of oil, and repeat. The one time I broke a tap I was doing it free hand with a T handle and using a Craftsman drill/tap combo. That was my 3rd conversion and since then I've done about a dozen more and am always nervous when tapping.

Now I stick with good drill/tap combos and use each one no more than 2 times. I know that sounds wasteful but at the inexpensive price, its a little insurance to me.

I snapped it off by hand with a t- handle. Been working with tools my whole life. Just one of those things. I went out and bought a nice little set. A little expensive but I've got at least 2 more conversions to go. I was still able to use the 6/32. Well anyway It's complete with the exception of the shepherds crook or retaining plate. I guess that spring is not any good when moving the trigger group forward. I think I'm going to have to order a shepherds crook or retaining plate I took the BHO out and added a washer.
u9a9egut.jpg

ne6e4avu.jpg

zenu5y9u.jpg

Last edited:
I snapped it off by hand with a t- handle. Been working with tools my whole life. Just one of those things. I went out and bought a nice little set. A little expensive but I've got at least 2 more conversions to go. I was still able to use the 6/32. Well anyway It's complete with the exception of the shepherds crook or retaining plate. I guess that spring is not any good when moving the trigger group forward. I think I'm going to have to order a shepherds crook or retaining plate I took the BHO out and added a washer.
u9a9egut.jpg

ne6e4avu.jpg

zenu5y9u.jpg

Congrats.

Have you tried different magaznes yet? Some surplus Euro mags fit tight because the mag catch lever is pretty long on a Saiga. Often some material needs to be removed at the top of the lever to allow mags to fit and snap in w/out forcing them.

"Congrats
Have you tried different magaznes yet? Some surplus Euro mags fit tight because the mag catch lever is pretty long on a Saiga. Often some material needs to be removed at the top of the lever to allow mags to fit and snap in w/out forcing them."

Thanks to you and a couple of the guys for answering my questions. No I haven't tried any AK mags yet. Don't have any as of right now. Any recommendations? Are magazine modifications needed or just the mag lever?

That looks beautiful, congratulations.

On my newest Saiga, most of my Euro surplus mags snap right in without modifying the catch, but a few are too tight. Just a tiny bit of filing of the mag catch will fix that.

You could modify the mags to fit, but then you would be in a position where ALL of your mags would have to be modified. It's a lot easier to modify the mag catch so that any mag you pick up will fit. The stock Saiga mags still work fine after the mag catch has been filed, they just need to be fitted in the front to match the new bullet guide.

Good luck.

Thanks to you and a couple of the guys for answering my questions. No I haven't tried any AK mags yet. Don't have any as of right now. Any recommendations? Are magazine modifications needed or just the mag lever?

Try the Holbrook gun show next weekend and look for Terry Good's table. He's one of the major vendors that usually works the show circuit and usually always has a box/pile of pre ban Romanian mags.

Once you get a few all you have to do is compare your Saiga mag to the regular AK mag and you'll see where you have to remove material in the front. The Saiga mags have extra plastic that acts as a bullet guide. If you installed a bullet guide in your Saiga, the plastic mag that came with it won't work until you remove that extra material that causes the bullet to tilt upward.

I gotta order me parts and get my conversion going. I wanna pick up a used drill press before I do it though,.

would make it easier, but not necessary. I did this conversion in my living room with a 14 volt cordless.

Edit: please don't take that as bragging, I'm just saying you don't need a monster garage setup and a huge variety of tools to pull this off. Although it would certainly help;)

Last edited:
That is some gorgeous furniture! Almost makes me want to grab a set give my tactical style AK a new look, or even better just build another one around a nice set of furniture![wink]

Ok. So it turns out I did have a couple mags I had forgotten about. Not sure of the origin. Maybe someone could identify. They will not lock in. So I will be filing down the mag catch. Pics show AK mags with Saiga mag.(which locks in no prob). The yellow colored area on the Saiga is the area to be modified, correct?

u6y3yhy8.jpg

e9y9a3ys.jpg

dybazaha.jpg

Last edited:
The tanker mags that I got are supposedly Hungarian.

And yes, the yellow part that you colored on the Saiga mag is the part that needs to be trimmed down to clear the bullet guide.

I have one converted with the exception of the hand guard, still has the one piece Saiga. After seeing this thread I need to complete the transformation. So, I need to get a retainer, gas tube and furniture. Any pointers on a good source for wood furniture?

I have one converted with the exception of the hand guard, still has the one piece Saiga. After seeing this thread I need to complete the transformation. So, I need to get a retainer, gas tube and furniture. Any pointers on a good source for wood furniture?

There are some really nice Polish laminate stock sets out there on auction sites and from some distributors or you could go with someone's take off Romanian WASR furniture. Unless you change out enough other parts for compliance though you're probably better off with Tapco or Iron Wood so you don't get someone pointing the 922r finger at you.

There are some really nice Polish laminate stock sets out there on auction sites and from some distributors or you could go with someone's take off Romanian WASR furniture. Unless you change out enough other parts for compliance though you're probably better off with Tapco or Iron Wood so you don't get someone pointing the 922r finger at you.

Just curious, but how would anyone really know the country of origin wrt wood parts? Is that really something anyone has ever been jammed up on?

The tanker mags that I got are supposedly Hungarian.

And yes, the yellow part that you colored on the Saiga mag is the part that needs to be trimmed down to clear the bullet guide.

Yeah, I was told that my tanker was Hungarian also, so maybe that is the only country that made those 20 rounders? I know that you don't really see them as commonly available as the 30's that's for sure.

That's a shame, lots of cheap wood sets in great shape out there but because of 922r I can't use them.
I see the Timbersmith stuff looks OK, but really like the real deal

Back
Top Bottom