Simple Saiga Conversion 7.62x39 (Warning Pic Heavy)

Any AK standard length gas tube should work just fine for a Saiga conversion. You'll just need to file some off the back so the locking lever clears it

I was looking back in this thread... post #126... and noticed over a year ago (and 1,500 rounds) I installed a bullet guide on my 5.45 Saiga conversion, but it looks like the .223 flat guide in the Dinzag reference in post #126 (and below).

Sorry to hijack this 7.62 thread... has anyone else put a bullet guide in a 5.45 that has the sloped front edge?

Again I have fired ~1,500 rounds without any issues with this guide and 9 different surplus mags (I think bulgarian).

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/bg_install.pdf

I was looking back in this thread... post #126... and noticed over a year ago (and 1,500 rounds) I installed a bullet guide on my 5.45 Saiga conversion, but it looks like the .223 flat guide in the Dinzag reference in post #126 (and below).

Sorry to hijack this 7.62 thread... has anyone else put a bullet guide in a 5.45 that has the sloped front edge?

Again I have fired ~1,500 rounds without any issues with this guide and 9 different surplus mags (I think bulgarian).

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/bg_install.pdf

I've only done 7.62's, but I can tell you that the last one I did was feeding some of my mags & ammo without even using the bullet guide. It hung up with hollow points and soft points, and with some mags.

I think the moral of the story is that these bullet guides are really just there to fill up space, and that the shape is probably not that critical. They literally just 'guide' the bullets up into the chamber. It makes sense that the ones with the sloped leading edges might work better (or at least as well) as ones with flat leading edges.

It is entirely possible that they sent you the wrong bullet guide for your caliber, but it sounds like it is doing the job.

One of the first and most popular Saiga conversion sites showed the builder using a section of pipe for his bullet guide. Sure some are probably better suited for use in different caliber rifles but it just goes to show its a hunk of metal that allows a round to feed into the chamber.

For my first couple of conversions I was using cheap Bulgarian guides that I had to cut parts off to make them fit since Saigas come with a bolt stop installed. I have no idea what caliber they were meant for but some Dremel work got everything in order.

Don't forget people... these are AK rifles, they don't require the precision fit bull shit that ARs do to make them run right.

Heres a video with a Saiga butcher bullet guide build I did showing how well they run in a bump fire:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom