• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Simple Saiga Conversion 7.62x39 (Warning Pic Heavy)

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
So I finally got the chance to make the purchase of one of the 7.62x39 Saiga rifles that can be converted to your more standard looking AK. I had gone back and forth about if I could handle the conversion on my own. It was not really about having the right tools it was about having the best tools for the job. Surprised that I don't think I am capable of doing such a conversion well maybe you did not see what happened to the stock on the last AK I had changed the furniture on from the fine Atilla commie karma. Haha

First off I want to give all the credit to our very own "SKS Ray" for not only helping me pick out the proper parts for the conversion, put supplying a workshop for the job and actually giving the guidance on the conversion. THANKS RAY!!!

Since I have already had several inquires as to what parts I used and where I had got them I decided I would just put together a thread for others to read up on it.

First off I got the Saiga rifle from B&K Sales - Awesome shop - really you don't meet many like Brian and he is great.
B35B6137-B8DF-4FB9-B94A-E8C2B52B82EC-25708-00001905B50206B8.jpg

Next step is figuring out if I had a flat or rounded trunnion.... Don't ask me exactly because Ray was the one that was able to decipher off my pictures but I found I had a flat one. This is very important as to which bullet guide you get.
2175C06D-12C1-40ED-B8A6-9975AECC629D-28280-00001B471BF6D64E.jpg

So after we figured out what I had and what I needed - we went online and made a couple purchases. I used both Carolina Shooters Supply and K-Var for the pieces needed for the conversion. To make it as simple as possible here are the two orders and actual items purchased:

carolinashooterssupply.com Items
1 TRIGGER GROUP- TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUP @ $42.75 = $42.75
1 TRIGGER GUARD MOUNTING HARDWARE @ $0.95 = $0.95
1 TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS @ $0.95 = $0.95
1 GRIP AK/SAIGA GRIP SCREW AND BUSHING SET @ $6.60 = $6.60
1 BULLET GUIDE- FLAT TRUNNION 7.62X39 WITH DRILL AND TAP SET @ $18.00 = $18.00
1 HANDGUARD RETAINING LOWER BRACKET<b> SAIGA 223, 5.45, 7.62 RIFLES</B> @ $47.45 = $47.45
1 GAS TUBE UPPER HANDGUARD @ $1.85 = $1.85
1 GRIP AK/SAIGA AK47 STYLE <B>BLACK</B> @ $9.97 = $9.97

k-var corporation
1 AK-080R Gas Tube Assembly, Standard, Russian $39.99

Parts Arrived - Adding my left over furniture from my WASR Ak furniture change:
AF9D8BA9-7452-46E9-8E1D-6C0FC5C0BCED-40025-00002538DA531905.jpg

So with everything now in hand I just had to wait for the big day and it arrived even sooner then I had expected. I was excited to get the call from Ray that he would be able to meet up with me so I jumped at the chance. And the work starts:
Nice spot to make an AK today
B62036C0-267E-4DA7-8E2C-804CC2E29986-358-000000A889A1AB63.jpg

Top off what is inside will soon be nothing
9154AF25-39B6-4688-81A1-61C54B3475F1-358-000000A893B5E65E.jpg

Bare Bones
F34068F7-0FC4-447F-82B7-66D3792408AF-358-000000A89BCF3014.jpg

Removed the internals as you can see them laying there. Best thing was Ray saying stuff like "see these parts here they do not even get used back on the gun". I counted 3 pieces that never made there way back in. Got to love AK's
02E953B7-B3D3-4FA1-95A6-2C7051574642-358-000000A8A5DE1E79.jpg

When I said he had the right tools for the job I was not kidding. Grinding some parts and smoothing them out.
42016C73-6CC5-41B7-9438-51C191418EC4-358-000000A8AEACC207.jpg

Air powered drills - with some nice bits makes the job go smooth. Knowing what your doing helps lol.
9C36C284-FB39-46CB-985E-51D672EFF617-358-000000A8C160167A.jpg

Coming together nicely. Ray even painted the bottom of the receiver back up to have it blend perfectly. So smart he is.
0B8703B8-518E-490C-B84E-03CDBA235A69-358-000000A8C9E462F4.jpg

Don't remember exactly what this shot was of but I have a feeling it was when Ray was smoothing out the trigger for me. He did a hell of a job as the trigger was very nice.
914D46E3-C50A-44DB-94B1-9AE3A9C1DFF5-358-000000A8D203BF03.jpg

We broke the upper hand guard (surprise surprise) But can you believe I happened to order a cheesy plastic one just in case and it was used so I felt good that I had got it. Literally had to use a vice to get it on though.
C8ADFE8C-A94B-4F14-8926-9565E3D4D6B7-358-000000A8D985A890.jpg

On top of that we actually re-used my stock off the WASR and it fit like a glove (almost haha).
BFD97D60-D632-4233-9A28-725A51B7C347-358-000000A8E24E4A14.jpg

The finished product photos of course. I brought it to the range that weekend and ran it. It worked like a charm and felt great. I was very impressed with the quality of the rifle to start, the incredible work that Ray did like a champ. I will have it with me at the Pumpkin shoot! Just awesome.
71BC3002-3241-4F77-9B67-1B1D56D22968-358-000000A909F200D6.jpg

E68B83DD-5121-4D0B-BE2F-A6F594DB793F-358-000000A9109593C2.jpg

1C911566-6FD9-4111-995A-42221EF781A8-358-000000A8E8DFFFBA.jpg

Once again a huge Thank You goes out to SKS Ray. I know I would be able to attempt it on my own next time! I hope this brief overview of a simple saiga conversion will help others as much as Ray helped me.

Last edited:
Awesome!!! Can't wait to get started on mine shortly - appreciate the detail and the pics!

+1000 on Brian at B&K sales - had an awesome time talking with him yesterday when picking my Saiga up.

Not to be 'that guy', but it doesn't appear that you are 922r compliant. The only us made parts appear to be your FCG, and maybe the pistol grip (not sure).

Other than that, it looks great. The pics and parts list will be a big help to a first timer.

Not to be 'that guy', but it doesn't appear that you are 922r compliant. The only us made parts appear to be your FCG, and maybe the pistol grip (not sure).

Other than that, it looks great. The pics and parts list will be a big help to a first timer.

Lol you ended up being "that guy" anyhow ;) It's all good! I got my own compliance its called "911x does not work when needed compliance".

That's what I figured the parts list itself is a huge plus for most first timers.

Ray needs scrubs for this shit. He's a surgeon.

Nice looking gun I guess, I don't have any commies. A friend has a few that I want Ray to look at for me before I think of purchasing.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

not sure if serious. if it's not your rifle, is it your concern?

back to reality: nice looking rifle dude, ray is a ****in' wizard with tools and AKs. you had a good build buddy.

not sure if serious. if it's not your rifle, is it your concern?

back to reality: nice looking rifle dude, ray is a ****in' wizard with tools and AKs. you had a good build buddy.

I was serious, and you are right, it's not my concern. I was just trying to help out in case he wasn't aware.

Posting pics online of illegal things is usually not a good idea.

don't tell me you walk up to dudes at the range and expect to inspect their mags, too. hey man, are those PRE-BAN?

the government was just trying to "help out" with things such as the NFA, GCA 68, FOPA 86, etc.

i don't mean to be such a prick but the MA brainwashed mentality needs to get shitcanned. the nanny business, IDGAF if 922r is federal, either.

I was serious, and you are right, it's not my concern. I was just trying to help out in case he wasn't aware.

Posting pics online of illegal things is usually not a good idea.

but not knowing that he's using a US made magazine, with a US made follower, and a US made floor plate makes it look like that you've pulled out your

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Stop being Tom.

tom.jpg

(btw, that's a century arms pistol grip... and a US FCG - 1 (grip) +3 (fcg) +1 (floorplate)+1 (follower) = 6.... STFU)

Last edited:
don't tell me you walk up to dudes at the range and expect to inspect their mags, too. hey man, are those PRE-BAN?

the government was just trying to "help out" with things such as the NFA, GCA 68, FOPA 86, etc.

i don't mean to be such a prick but the MA brainwashed mentality needs to get shitcanned.

No, I don't. And no offense taken.

But if I had a friend who had unknowingly broken a law or two, I would let him know about it. I realize there is almost zero risk of getting jammed up over this stuff, but I like to know if it's a possibility.

No, I don't. And no offense taken.

But if I had a friend who had unknowingly broken a law or two, I would let him know about it. I realize there is almost zero risk of getting jammed up over this stuff, but I like to know if it's a possibility.
Next time, send the guy a PM, instead of publicly bringing it to attention? I know you're just trying to be helpful.

NICE WORK MAX AND RAY!! You guys are tempting me to pick one up in the future and try to do this....

but not knowing that he's using a US made magazine, with a US made follower, and a US made floor plate makes it look like that you've pulled out your

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Stop being Tom.

tom.jpg

(btw, that's a century arms pistol grip... and a US FCG - 1 (grip) +3 (fcg) +1 (floorplate)+1 (follower) = 6.... STFU)

Sorry, it won't happen again.

Sorry, it won't happen again.

like others have said- PM him next time. Sorry about dogpiling on top of you. You know how sensitive this subject can be- you build em too.

That pistol grip is a classic CAI WASR grip. It should have a C on it. It's US made. FCG is US made, as well. And all it takes after that is some simple, cheap mag mods to a preban mag and you're set. Easy breezy, Cover Girl.

The only 2 foreign parts in that last pic is the LHG and the butt stock. Gas tube, handguard, PG, and other parts are all US made. These days its easy to do a build with US made pistons, and other internals.

And a for the hell of it disclaimer... I didn't build it, I just showed how to, modified some parts, drilled and tapped the trunnion.[wink]

It's great how this latest batch of Saigas came without the ugly velcro patch on the receiver. They make much nicer looking conversions.

Thanks for posting! I love these kinds of threads. My next one will be either a conversion, or a scratch build. After finally owning one, I see how simple these things really are.

Great job guys. Im doing mine next week with pretty much identical parts. Has anyone used the axis pin retaining plate instead of the shepherds crook? Are they that much of a bitch going back in? Any benefit using the plate?

Last edited:
Great job guys. Im doing mine next week with pretty much identical parts. Has anyone used the axis pin retaining plate instead of the shepherds crook? Are they that much of a bitch going back in? Any benefit using the plate?

I've done them both ways. I think I like the retaining plate better. It's easier to put back in than the wire retainers, and you can't put it in wrong.

I also removed the Saiga bolt hold open from both of mine. It kind of saws on your trigger finger when you relocate the FCG, and it's just an extra part that can fail. I notched my safety levers to hold the bolts open instead.

Good luck

I've done them both ways. I think I like the retaining plate better. It's easier to put back in than the wire retainers, and you can't put it in wrong.

I also removed the Saiga bolt hold open from both of mine. It kind of saws on your trigger finger when you relocate the FCG, and it's just an extra part that can fail. I notched my safety levers to hold the bolts open instead.

Good luck
Thanks. If I remove the BHO, will I still be able to use the modified FCG Trigger group(Tromix) or will I need to leave it (the BHO) in? Not sure If the hammer modification affects anything.

Thanks. If I remove the BHO, will I still be able to use the modified FCG Trigger group(Tromix) or will I need to leave it (the BHO) in? Not sure If the hammer modification affects anything.

The FCG that they make for the Saigas does have a narrower hammer to acount for the BHO. I just put in a washer to make up the space.

Back
Top Bottom